Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I think most of them believe in cryptocurrency in the more general case (I worked with some of them on a centralized one 15 years ago), and if you want to get funded to do work in that space you're going to tie yourself to bitcoin. they're definitely people I would recruit if I were trying to build cryptocurrency systems.

well yes, for example Adam Back actually invented the hashcash PoW (the wasted energy certificate system bitcoin is based on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Subjunctive posted:

I think most of them believe in cryptocurrency in the more general case (I worked with some of them on a centralized one 15 years ago), and if you want to get funded to do work in that space you're going to tie yourself to bitcoin. they're definitely people I would recruit if I were trying to build cryptocurrency systems.

blockchains aren't a solution, though

the best thing you're going to get with the tech is likely to be bitcoin

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Bonfire Lit posted:

i'm not sure why you'd run a full node

because you have to, in order to mine. but one node per pool is enough :getin:

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Herman Merman posted:

because you have to, in order to mine.
I don't know how bitcoin works but couldn't you just keep the last couple of GB and the internal hash state of everything before that and calculate the next block signature or whatever from that, so in a year you won't have to dedicate four hard drives to internet pogs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bonfire Lit posted:

I don't know how bitcoin works but couldn't you just keep the last couple of GB and the internal hash state of everything before that and calculate the next block signature or whatever from that, so in a year you won't have to dedicate four hard drives to internet pogs

this is in the wiki but not yet implemented, for now you have to hold the entire blockchain

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Buttcoin purse posted:

It made me think about how maybe I'd be happier in my life if I had a piece of my brain removed and was then excited by bitcoin :gbsmith:

can confirm, it's pretty rad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Herman Merman posted:

well yes, for example Adam Back actually invented the hashcash PoW (the wasted energy certificate system bitcoin is based on)

yeah, and he's also a really sweet and humble guy, so perhaps somewhat out of his element in the Bitcoin space

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Bonfire Lit posted:

to get paid you have to produce valid blocks accepted by the rest of the network, otherwise they will just be orphaned.
technically i suppose you could just retain the latest block hash value and churn out completely empty blocks, that way you don't have to care about inconvenient bullshit like keeping track of the ever increasing UTXO pool, verifying signatures, or actually processing transactions

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
i'd very much like to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would follow if a large mining pool started following this strategy

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Don't be lame, get into the crypto currency game
Bitcoins will put wire transfers to shame

Airy hair, Airy hair look sexy, look fly, put it on right there
You're now a sexy Goddess, get invited everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVVhc3B7aq0

My dreams have come true!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
is there like a bitcoin glossary somewhere where i can learn what poo poo like blockchain and sidechain etc actually are? the parts i DO understand in this thread is hilarious but so much of it goes over my head. all i know about bitcoin is that it costs more to mine them than the bitcoins are worth and they are apparently very easy to hack

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Subjunctive posted:

I think most of them believe in cryptocurrency in the more general case (I worked with some of them on a centralized one 15 years ago)

i think everyone briefly worked on a pie-in-the-sky crypto project 15 years ago. usually right after reading cryptonomicon.

(speaking of which, i actually re-read that book recently. the world war 2 parts are still a fun read but oh god, the present day parts)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Gus Hobbleton posted:

is there like a bitcoin glossary somewhere where i can learn what poo poo like blockchain and sidechain etc actually are? the parts i DO understand in this thread is hilarious but so much of it goes over my head. all i know about bitcoin is that it costs more to mine them than the bitcoins are worth and they are apparently very easy to hack

sure

Blockchain: Magic future alien technology given to us by the god Satoshi Nakamoto.

Sidechains: The block chain is perfect in every way and these make it more so.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Herman Merman posted:

i'd very much like to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would follow if a large mining pool started following this strategy

one actually did and people freaked out

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

bitcoins themselves are not easy to hack (in fact, it's something approaching impossible at the moment), but everything surrounding them is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, bitcoins are the only neat thing about bitcoins. Everything and everyone surrounding them, however... Well, this thread.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Gus Hobbleton posted:

"the Blockchain" is the central innovation of bitcoin - it's the ledger of all transactions that have ever occurred, and it's self-securing against anyone who doesn't have over 51% of the hashing power.

it's legitimately well-thought-out and designed in a really cool way, and depends on previous work with cryptography to be unbreakable until somebody breaks SHA-256, it's encryption method.

however, this really cool algorithm/design accomplishes nothing, as I've described previously:

imagine I made a perfect machine, a cannon which was able to rocket pigeons directly into my own crotch at a hundred miles an hour while doing no damage to the pigeon. you would be impressed by this amazing technology and you'd probably get a lot of laughs out of it being used but you wouldn't recommend that anyone intelligent actually use it

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
surebets dirty secret

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

theflyingorc posted:

imagine I made a perfect machine, a cannon which was able to rocket pigeons directly into my own crotch at a hundred miles an hour while doing no damage to the pigeon. you would be impressed by this amazing technology and you'd probably get a lot of laughs out of it being used but you wouldn't recommend that anyone intelligent actually use it

This is the best thing I've read about bitcoin.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Bonfire Lit posted:

I don't know how bitcoin works

"... but then again, who does?" - gaff, blade runner

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Herman Merman posted:

to get paid you have to produce valid blocks accepted by the rest of the network, otherwise they will just be orphaned.
technically i suppose you could just retain the latest block hash value and churn out completely empty blocks, that way you don't have to care about inconvenient bullshit like keeping track of the ever increasing UTXO pool, verifying signatures, or actually processing transactions

there's not much point to that though, it's exactly the same amount of cpu power to mine an empty block as a full one, especially as you fill up your next block to be mined from the utx pool while you're mining the current one, and you get the tx fees (as small as they are) as well as the block reward

(this is assuming there's not some bizarre wrinkle in sha256 that makes finding a hash of a mb of random data slower than a mb of zeroes)

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

"the Blockchain" is the central innovation of bitcoin - it's the ledger of all transactions that have ever occurred, and it's self-securing against anyone who doesn't have over 51% of the hashing power.

it's legitimately well-thought-out and designed in a really cool way, and depends on previous work with cryptography to be unbreakable until somebody breaks SHA-256, it's encryption method.

however, this really cool algorithm/design accomplishes nothing, as I've described previously:

bitcoin: imagine rocketing pigeons into my crotch at 100MPH

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there's not much point to that though, it's exactly the same amount of cpu power to mine an empty block as a full one, especially as you fill up your next block to be mined from the utx pool while you're mining the current one, and you get the tx fees (as small as they are) as well as the block reward

(this is assuming there's not some bizarre wrinkle in sha256 that makes finding a hash of a mb of random data slower than a mb of zeroes)

Is there not a small propagation advantage to having a smaller block? It takes less time to transmit an almost empty block that a full one to the other nodes .

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Random Hajile posted:

bitcoin: imagine 4 rocketing pigeons at the edge of my crotch

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Sure
  • Bitcoin n. It's poo poo.
  • Blockchain. n. It's poo poo.
  • Cryptocurrency n. It's poo poo.
  • Mining v. To poo poo.
  • Sidechain n. It's poo poo.
hth

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Truga posted:

This is the best thing I've read about bitcoin.

im very proud of it

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

jre posted:

Is there not a small propagation advantage to having a smaller block? It takes less time to transmit an almost empty block that a full one to the other nodes .

there is, but the frequency with which it's going to make a difference is so low that it's basically like Michael Phelps blaming a loss on the fact that didn't clip his toenails short enough

it's ONLY going to make a difference when you've got 2 solutions (by different pools) that solve at nearly the exact same time, and even then where you are on the internet should control propagation way more than block size

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

i'd like you to run this all the time since it would prob keep you from posting

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

i wonder how a transactionless block would propagate compared to a 20mb block.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

when you originally posted this it convinced me to switch from reading the grey thread to this one

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

theflyingorc posted:

this is exactly what i needed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingorc posted:

lmao irl

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

wakie is a really neat idea

it's you, you're part of the problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how is it a neat idea to use random people on the internet to do the job that your phone or computer or a $5 gadget can do right now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

i feel like this is somehow subtly relevant to bitcoin

bitcoin_adoption_rate.gif

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"wake up, sheeple"

"cool thanks"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

how is it a neat idea to use random people on the internet to do the job that your phone or computer or a $5 gadget can do right now
because talking to another person or at least hearing someone's voice is more effective at getting you to use your brain than a two-second loop of audio you've probably heard a million times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anthonypants posted:

because talking to another person or at least hearing someone's voice is more effective at getting you to use your brain than a two-second loop of audio you've probably heard a million times

get an alarm app that starts up a random song in your music player

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it's cool because the people would have to have some sort of alarm to tell them to wake you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Boxturret posted:

it's cool because the people would have to have some sort of alarm to tell them to wake you up

they just have someone call to remind them

• Locked thread