Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

some texas redneck posted:

Part of me wishes I'd gone for cat6, but that would have more than doubled my costs (likely tripled, since I went ultra cheap and used copper clad aluminum CAT5E cable). And at the moment, gigabit is plenty for what I'm doing (5 PCs in the house and a couple of STBs like Rokus, mostly sharing/streaming movies, with 75/75 internet). If I ever do decide to upgrade, the holes I've drilled in studs/etc will be large enough to just tape new wire to the old and haul it through, and everything terminates at a cheap punchdown panel in the closet. Add another Monoprice order for CAT6 jacks and a patch panel, and done.

NOT impressed with the punchdown block I got - even using a 110 punchdown tool, I've had wires back out twice on one port, and one port has just completely poo poo itself no matter what I do. It looks like the same one Monoprice sells, just with a different name (Intellinet). May have different luck if I drop the $70 on a Klein punchdown tool instead of this :10bux: one, though I've had zero issues with the jacks I've punched with it.

I need to pull speaker wire and also add in-wall HDMI + a recessed outlet for my TV. Right now it's plugged in by an extension cord hanging down, and the speaker wires are run around a doorframe :cripes: (it's above my bedroom closet). I'm much happier keeping the AV receiver on my desk (that way I just have to run 1 HDMI cable + some speaker wires), but I'd still have to do the HDMI -> CAT5E -> HDMI conversion bit. And there's no way I could ever get speaker wires to the rear surround speakers into the walls - they're on an outside wall, and our roof has a pretty sharp pitch.

Also need to figure out how to get power and HDMI into the wall above the fireplace (thankfully gas only, not wood), as our next living room TV will be mounted above it. That part of the attic is a complete oval office and a half to get to.

My new house roof is as shallow as gently caress at the walls so my new go to technique for getting into those sections of the roof is climb onto the roof with a tek gun and rip out the screws and slide out the sheet of tin and go in from the outside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That would work great if we didn't have a shingled roof!

I'd have to rip up shingles, tar paper, and the decking to do that. All nailed down.

Tin roofs really don't seem to be very common here, at least in my part of the country.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That would work great if we didn't have a shingled roof!

I'd have to rip up shingles, tar paper, and the decking to do that. All nailed down.

Tin roofs really don't seem to be very common here, at least in my part of the country.

Yea, hail on a tin roof sucks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hail on any kind of roof sucks.

At least on a tin roof it's just noisy as gently caress and you get some dings. With shingles and decking, you wind up replacing shingles and tar paper after a decent hail storm; decking too if it was a particularly nasty one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At least it doesn't rip the entire thing off unlike hurricanes, Orlando was blue tarp city after the clusterfuck that was hurricane season '04.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Time to put that dremel mm45 to use on the project I got it for, since it is nice out.

Practice freehanding first:

Chisels are obsolete garbage for chumps, at least as far as framing carpentry is concerned:

Rotten subflooring begone:

You can see how little space I have to work here, no way was a circ saw getting in there:

One more thing - this is a project thread. Please don't derail it with completely off topic stuff, that can go in the general construction threads or whatever it is most relevant in. No hard feelings and no need to apologize, just please don't do it again. An honest mistake is one thing, since this entire thread is basically construction nightmares so it is not hard to mistake for that thread, but tin roofs and hurricanes in the south have absolutely nothing to do with this project.

More to come later today hopefully.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not bad fitment for a first time concrete worker in december :getin:

Had to trim a little bit off the bottom of the beam (like 1/16") in one spot where the formwork made it hard to level the top of the pour, but the rest is really coming together well.

Now time to copper clad it and then get rid of the rest of the wall dangling over it... though I probably should wait for my custom lumber order and get a few true dim 8' 2x4s for the top plate before I dig in that far, since the wall will be wide open to the elements till I get the materials anyways.

Guess I will open up the wall under the door sill adjacent to this and see how hosed the sill is, and how far the rot goes. Time to make myself want to drink heavily...

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 3, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:aaaaa:

Nowhere near as bad as I thought. The rot only went two feet back from the corner, to the next joist. 100% solid wood from there on in.

Looks like I can stop worrying about that. The worst is over, aside from that 16 foot long wall I haven't even looked at yet because I know it is going to be bad. That one doesn't really worry me though, it is a known quantity.

I guess I will prep for concrete and copper clad a 24" section as well as the one I already cut today.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Yay, unlocked thread! Yay, updates!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

pseudonordic posted:

Yay, unlocked thread! Yay, updates!
I thought one of the walls collapsed on top of him that's why it was locked. Glad to see you back on track.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Time to put that dremel mm45 to use on the project I got it for, since it is nice out.

Chisels are obsolete garbage for chumps, at least as far as framing carpentry is concerned:

Was this just getting practice with the tool, or is that actually going to be part of something?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Just dicking around practicing so I could cut straight on the subflooring. That is the bottom end of a stud that is rotted and full of ant nest for about the top 3 feet and was rotted off the bottom 6 inches. The sheathing is also rotten on that wall so there is literally nothing redeeming about it, as such I am tearing it out wholesale and putting in new.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Placed concrete for the last section of sill on this corner. 16 feet of concrete and 23 feet of sill beam to go... 7 feet of that already cut to shape.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

oscillating tools are the best thing in the world. Should make your life easier.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
More multitool chat: Buy Bosch Carbide blades... expensive ($10 each on Amazon in a 2-pack), but hard to kill. Stu over at Toolguyd did an incredibly in-depth review with some custom setups and found the following:

"ToolGuyd" posted:

Bosch: N/A. The blade discussed here successfully cut through 20 nails with no signs of failure. None of the tested Bosch blades showed any signs of failure after 20 cuts.

Imperial: The blade shown and discussed here and in prior results failed on the 5th nail. Failure is typically observed between the 4th and 10th cuts.

Dewalt: The blade shown below failed on the 2nd nail. Failure is typically observed in the 1st or 2nd cut.
http://toolguyd.com/bosch-oscillating-multi-tool-blades-comparison-overview/ <-First page with info
http://toolguyd.com/oscillating-tool-metal-blade-best-durability/ <-seventh page with durability

And yes, he was sponsored by Bosch, but the results are eye-opening. The only thing that I've found will kill the carbide is plaster. I use a worn-out dull blade on it, and it works fine.
I've also work out a Dremel MultiMax, and now use a HF model. It's amazing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
No updates for three weeks? I need my fix

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Work has been crazy busy and I have been trying to keep my vehicles alive on the weekends instead of working on the house, sadly. The concrete turned out well, so I am now ready to start rebuilding that corner, but that will involve custom cut almost-true-dimensional lumber I ordered that hasn't been cut yet, so I don't want to rip the corner open till I have it in hand since that will let even more critters and weather in than usual.

Speaking of critters I heard a hellacious scratching noise in the ceiling over the bathroom this morning in the shower. Goddammit squirrels :argh: seems they finally found the open eaves that I never got around to closing up. So today I blew a bunch of money on a big pile of cellular PVC trim (that poo poo is expensive!) And lumber and I've been working on putting the eaves and soffits together on the bathroom roof. Unfortunately my janky rear end almost-dead cellphone has abruptly (it worked yesterday!) Decided the camera is nonfunctional so no pictures - I plan on finishing it off tomorrow, maybe I can convince my phone to take pictures again by then. While I was cutting some stuff off the wall with my multimax a squirrel came flying out of the eaves right next to me and took a flying leap at "anything other than that guy", landing ~15ft down on the ground, so apparently they absolutely hate the noise that tool makes and it will serve as a perfect squirrel eviction device to make sure the ceiling is empty of vermin before closing it up. I don't much fancy the smell of rotting squirrels so it better work well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No pictures yet, camera still randomly acting up. I did figure out how to get squirrels to do gymnastics though.

Ever see a grey squirrel do a double backflip, a few barrel rolls, and then dive headfirst off a roof? I have.

Turns out they do that if you shoot the motherfucker in the face from point blank range with a .177 cal air rifle. The bathroom roof they infested is right outside my bedroom window and they were pissed about me blocking half their entrances so they sat on the peak and cussed at me. From 5 feet away, thinking I couldn't get through the windowscreen. I don't care about the screen since it is getting replaced when I do the windows and siding, so I just sat on my bed and shot them through it.

Gotta admit, it was basically the suburbanite version of Rambo shooting a russian heli down through the windshield of his wrecked copter with a rocket launcher. :feelsgood:

Score is now me: 6, squirrels: 0. They should have listened to the ants and raccoons.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

kastein posted:

Score is now me: 6, squirrels: 0. They should have listened to the ants and raccoons.

Finish the job, man!
https://youtu.be/C6l-07scDWI

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

kastein posted:

This makes me happy as I wanted to do this so bad when I had an apartment that had squirrels get in between my ceiling and the upstair's neighbors floor. God drat those things make a poo poo load of noise.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Lumberyard STILL hasn't run my 4x6x16s. :argh:

Also when I evicted the squirrels, the raccoons moved right in. So I evicted them and they moved to the porch ceiling. They make a god drat racket.

Tonight I got home early enough from work to make noise so I resharpened the chain on my chainsaw and prepared for war :black101:

You can't really tell because the video looks like halflife 3 videotaped with vaseline on the lens, but this is one-handing a chainsaw over my head at full throttle and the raccoons ran for their lives. Bastards, this is my loving house, everyone else is smart enough to stay away... take the hint.

Terrible video later, it is still uploading.

I considered cutting the raccoons up with the chainsaw since they got cornered in the rafters, but I'm not that cruel, I don't want blood on my chainsaw, and I wasn't sure they were cornered well enough that they wouldn't come back out at me. So off into the woods those fuckers go... luckier than the squirrels.

E: here is your audio recording with occasional blurry HL3/Saw III visual effects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSf3y6YyN_M

Sweet dreams :unsmigghh:

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 10, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I never thought I'd give this advice in all seriousness, but have you considered getting a spear?

I mean, it's a great way to remove raccoons from ceilings.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Also a weighted net. And a spiked arm guard.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

None of those things are necessary at this point. The ceiling is gone and the raccoons aren't going to bother anyone anymore.

I can't wait to tear the whole drat porch off and rebuild it properly, it's a shitshow of poor construction decisions, rotten wood, and animal damage.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

the raccoons aren't going to bother anyone anymore

Ha, that can't be true. You didn't kill them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Actually, I did. I left for an hour to go to home depot and let them escape out of the corner of the rafters back into the woods where they belong and when I came back they were closer to the front door and angry, so they are all dead and tossed in the woods now.

I really did not want to kill them, as I prefer to kill as few things as possible, but you gently caress with me or my house and it's all over. Last night was the first night in weeks where I haven't been woken up by thumping, scrabbling, and chewing/scratching noises from the direction of the bathroom roof and porch ceiling.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

kastein posted:

Actually, I did. I left for an hour to go to home depot and let them escape out of the corner of the rafters back into the woods where they belong and when I came back they were closer to the front door and angry, so they are all dead and tossed in the woods now.

I really did not want to kill them, as I prefer to kill as few things as possible, but you gently caress with me or my house and it's all over. Last night was the first night in weeks where I haven't been woken up by thumping, scrabbling, and chewing/scratching noises from the direction of the bathroom roof and porch ceiling.

Snuff film?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nope. I didn't take one.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
You are a cruel cruel man...I am still waiting for HL3 to be made :(

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

kastein posted:

Good, gently caress raccoons. Bonus points if you did with the chainsaw.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

Sometimes it's all you can do. I had to shoot a woodchuck that was living under our shed last year because it wouldn't take a hint and leave, and went after one of the dogs.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
well this thread took a turn

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is surprisingly not hot as balls today, probably because of the thunderstorms last night. So I have been working on the house.

Here is the side I did last time, since my camera was dead for that week:

Not perfect, but animalproof. I will make it nicer later if I feel like it. Yes, everything around it is a loving disaster, which will have to wait till I do all the siding, windows, and front porch replacement, probably this fall or next summer depending on how much my savings account has in it when I get to that point.

And what I just stripped to the sheathing in preparation for doing the same thing on the other side:

More later. Time to play with a chopsaw and nailgun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

First step: put up two random soffit support bits level, temporarily nail straightedge to wall below them.
(I didn't think to put up the straightedge on the other side and as a result will need to take the soffit board down eventually and shim a few of them since it is a little wavey. That can wait.)

Next: put up all other soffit supports, make sure each is level and pushed against straightedge.

Then put the trim boards on... tadaaa, it is squirrel proof.

I haven't decided if I am going to put gutters on everywhere or just over doorways yet, but this is all foamed pvc (I used azek) so even if it gets a little water on it, it shouldn't be an issue unless it gets inside.

Still need to cut some holes and put soffit vents in, and also do the end gables. I am squirrel proof now though which is my main concern, cosmetics come second until the place is a little more complete.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:woop:

My lumber got cut today! As in, I picked it up a few hours after it came off the sawmill.

3 4x6 16 footers, true dimensional roughsawn
3 2x4 10 footers, true dimensional roughsawn
... for $75. Not bad at all.

I guess it is time to go grab some 3/4 CDX and start tearing the old wall down. I was only waiting so the summer thunderstorms wouldn't be coming into the living room every time between tearing the wall down and putting the new one up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Someone

Stole one of my gorram walls!

Video later when I am at a real PC, it needs some editing as the camera kept tipping over and filming the sky for 2 minutes at a time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1MGgJ57pE

the most half assed of wall demolition videos

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_1MGgJ57pE

the most half assed of wall demolition videos

That looked positively therapeutic.

Chainsaw was a weird replacement for a reciprocating saw, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. :ghost:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Chainsaw does plunge cuts and fast cuts way better when you don't give a single solitary gently caress about how the cut comes out anyways :v:

(Also I tried to use recip saw 3 of 3 and it ran out of battery, I don't own a charger for that one yet, the other two are in parts unknown and I was annoyed so it was chainsaw o'clock)

Once I knock a couple more pieces down I can sweep up and begin reassembly of the house. Unsure if I give enough of a poo poo to do it tonight in the drizzle or if I can let this wait till Tuesday, because I am busy tomorrow and Monday.

E: yeah, the wanton destruction part of demolition is awesome fun. The cleanup part and picking all the shattered junk off the parts you don't want to destroy around the edges? Ehhhh, not as fun. At least this came off of the section of house I am not tearing down easily, I am 99% sure the living room was an addition and looking at how it was connected to this wall I just tore down only reinforces that belief.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
kastein.jpg