Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820473978225319/

I love me some pubbie tears. It isn't about us, but some people whining about the gamma command being removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820473978225319/

I love me some pubbie tears. It isn't about us, but some people whining about the gamma command being removed.

Haha, people whining about them turning off dynamic lighting, basically disabling all light sources such as torches, the moon and the loving sun. And then being surprised they can't see poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn it, I have poor impulse control and bought this. WITCHER 3 IS RIGHT THERE AND I'M BUYING JURASSIC PARK HUNGER GAMES.

I just bought it too.

So far it feels like DayZ with dinosaurs, but that's actually a huge loving improvement.

I was freezing to death in the cold rain so I punched a tree for thatch but I got super hungry so I punched some dinosaur and it ate me.
10/10 would play again.

Need to get in on the goon server.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Don't worry about heat/cold too much, it won't actually kill you. When you are hot you use up water faster, and when you are cold you eat food faster. As long as you have a decent supply of food and water it's no big deal.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Is there any food that lasts/satisfies longer than others? I feel like by the time I harvest 30-40 berries, I have to eat them all and start harvesting again. It seems to run out really fast, though I saw patch notes say food/water consumption was decreased by 25% so that should help a bit. I tried cooking meat also, but it only increased my food by 1 as well and takes much longer than getting berries. I've never played survival games so not sure if this is the norm or just really fast in this game.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Food decreases the more you use your stamina bar. You can walk for days and not get hungry, if you sprint for 30 seconds you'll get hungry.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Cooked meat kind of pisses me off by how quickly it decays

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DrSeRRoD posted:

Is there any food that lasts/satisfies longer than others? I feel like by the time I harvest 30-40 berries, I have to eat them all and start harvesting again. It seems to run out really fast, though I saw patch notes say food/water consumption was decreased by 25% so that should help a bit. I tried cooking meat also, but it only increased my food by 1 as well and takes much longer than getting berries. I've never played survival games so not sure if this is the norm or just really fast in this game.

Cooked meat should be giving you like 20%+ of your total food back.. unless theres a bug. But yeah, cooked meat is the best source of food.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Gotcha, thanks. I didn't realize hunger/movement speed were connected, I thought only the stamina was affected. Two more levels to 10 and I'm taming and riding a Raptor everywhere! I'll try some more cooked meat once I have enough raw meat to use for my dinos.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Your current weight is a factor as well, if you run around with 100 wood you will chew up more food.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Hunger/Thirst is basically tied into everything you do. The more active and labor intensive actions you do such as running and gathering (swinging tools) the more fuel you need to survive. If you look at the actual food and water icons on your HUD, when you do things like sprint and chop trees the icon flashes a pale white/green color. This means you are doing an action that lowers your hunger more than normal.

The same goes for your mounts when you get them. Raptors are amazing mounts and have high damage and crazy run speed, but they chew through food faster than any other dinosaur I've tamed. I've completely given up on raptors in favor of scorpions, until I can get to Carno levels.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

How's our new home coming along?

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

How's our new home coming along?

No one wants to accepts the fresh meats idea of having a pit to feed our enemies to dodo's.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
magic doublepost

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 10, 2015

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Today, we helped our neighbors clean out their cabinets :3:

I only just now saw myself in the top corner there. Such a hottie.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How did you get your game you look like that and not destroy your computer

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Server #40 doesn't show up on the list and the PGS server is empty. PLz halp.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I'd like to suggest a third wall, set up with a large metal gate + metal windows on the side of it so we can shoot anyone beating on it. Some sort of kill box if they manage to rocket down the first gate.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'd like to suggest a third wall, set up with a large metal gate + metal windows on the side of it so we can shoot anyone beating on it. Some sort of kill box if they manage to rocket down the first gate.

The Airlock. The more walls and doors the better imo.

Someone should make a pgs thread for server 40 discussion.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Okay so here are my specs (everything standard, no OC or anything):

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
i7860 @2.8 GHZ
8 Gigs of RAM
GeForce GTX 550 Ti

And here is what the game looks like, maintaining between 10 and 30 (mostly 20-25ish) FPS, using the .ini files in the OP:

Game was unplayable on Low stock standard settings. These are the ugliest settings I've had to use in a while but it can only get better; it's playable but it ain't pretty. Guess I have a year to save for a new rig...

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Google Butt posted:

The Airlock. The more walls and doors the better imo.

Someone should make a pgs thread for server 40 discussion.

The problem with the secondary door for the airlock is that it is just a straight up wall. We need a wall we can shoot through. I mean, we've made mortal enemies. They're going to want to murder us and all the Dino gates will do is block them off for a period of time. We need a wall with windows + a Dino gate to shoot them while they attack the gate.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 10, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

The problem with the secondary door for the airlock is that it is just a straight up wall. We need a wall we can shoot through. I mean, we've made mortal enemies. They're going to want to murder us and all the Dino gates will do is block them off for a period of time. We need a wall with windows + a Dino gate to shoot them while they attack the gate.

True. Airlock + a walkway/balcony

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Now that dinos can't damage structures, we should be a little better off. I haven't been on since you guys stated rebuilding.. But maybe an airlock + a walkway with a wall and windows on the top of the rear section of the airlock. You can shoot down on them that way. If you have multiple walls and they have explosives, it will be much more expensive for them to break in.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So here's why you should get this game:

There was a pubbie fort (And it was a literal wooden fort. Like, they had fortified the poo poo out of it.) out on the river. Some goons noticed it, words were exchanged, and pikes were lodged in cavities. Ultimately however we were sent running due to what was basically bad luck and their fortifications.

So that presented a conundrum. You see, they had a fort. As in, a rampart to stand on, internal structures, and even a somewhat hidden door they could sally out of if someone besieged the gates. We could take it by sieging the thing with a trike or some explosives but if they were in there they could make it a pain in the rear end and more trouble than it was worth.

Of course like most forts it had no ceiling covering up the courtyard. Cue the pteranodon I just tamed. I air dropped goons into the depths of their fortifications by grabbing them with its claws, picking them up, and flying them over the walls before depositing them in the courtyard. We stormed the place by air, Cretaceous style.

Then when a pubbie started to fight back and kill the goons I air dropped in I decided to pick him up. Sadly I was stopped from killing him by dropping him high up as he was armed with a spear. He speared my pteranodon through the chest while I was flying over the river. This had the result of killing it and sending us both toppling off the dead dino into the river below.

I barely managed to drag myself back out of the water to the shore before drowning. Which was a feat by itself given the fact that I was so injured and slow from my injuries that I had a symbol in my status bar indicating I was on the verge of death. At which point I realized the defiant pubbie might have survived too.

It was pitch black out due to being in the middle of the night so it took me awhile. However when I found him on the shore he was similarly badly injured from the fall and trying to fend off a group of dilos which had poisoned and blinded him. Cue me spearing that fucker through the back of the throat in revenge for him murdering my mount. Which was followed by us looting and leveling the fort to the ground by riding in a triceratops to stomp all over the place. :black101:

TL;DR: Buy this game. It's amazing and has more content than any other survival game on the market at the moment. Even the ones that have been out for years.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 11, 2015

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Hearing reports that the latest patch hosed up item durability and everything breaks super quick now. Anyone know?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Compatible with a 360 controller?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It feels like stuff breaks more quickly now, but it's not instantly or anything like that. Haven't really had a problem with it.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Yea, stuff is definitely breaking much faster. I don't think I even had to repair my tools once before the patch, and today, they broke 2-3 times in half the played time. This was overshadowed by 3 dilos killing my dodo and my dilo chasing after a parasaur I wanted to kill for meat, who then ran like an olympic sprinter into the woods, which got my dilo killed by other dilos out there all within 5 minutes. Love the pets, but the controls are so wonky. No amount of whistling got that little bastard to stop the chase and return to me. RIP.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

89 posted:

Compatible with a 360 controller?

It does have gamepad controls options and lets you bind keyboard keys to whatever you want, should probably work with a 360 controller.

Haven't tried it myself though so can't say for sure. But worst case you could always use joy2key.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Google Butt posted:

How did you get your game you look like that and not destroy your computer

Textures and post processing on high, basically everything else except for the buffer (medium) on low. I'm running a 760 with an almost 4-year-old AMD CPU and getting 20 FPS most of the time. Honestly, turning textures down doesn't seem to help much at all, and gaining even 10 FPS wouldn't be that substantial of a gain, given the other issues. It's adequately playable. Then again, I don't demand 60+ FPS all the time in everything ever, so...

For me, the two huge issues that need to be resolved are lock-ups between area transitions and the loving rubber banding. Area transitions, such as from the cave to outside, can freeze me up for a couple of minutes in really bad instances. Most of the time, it's "only" around 30 seconds, but if you're trying to do something like not die, losing control for even a few seconds is really obnoxious. And the rubber banding makes combat really, really lovely. Last night's assault was fun, but the PvP aspect of it was utter garbage with people teleporting all over the place and killing you from 20 feet away, friendly-fire, etc etc.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I have been having a great time in a private server with a low population as it was the only one that I could really join a few days back given the official servers are literal poo poo. My frame rate is stable except during area transitions and then it fixes after a short stall. My ping is great here and I can fight dinos without any frameloss. So with my magic wonderland I go and hear about how you guys set up shop on the official server 40. So I think to myself "Hey Drinkfist you should go over to the "goon" server and level up a guy."

So I go and try to join you're poo poo server. After 12 or so minutes of "Server is full" messages I get in and my framerate takes a nosedive. I chill out in an area for a bit until it stabilizes and has everything loaded and then go to brawl a dodo. During the fight I rubberband all over the place and my hits don't show any connection like blood splatter or anything. But my health is going down as it does with fistfights so I am connecting. After a pile of dodo deaths I go and speed level to the slingshot and go to knock out a trike to continue my speed leveling. Night comes and nukes my frames and kiting the trike doesn't work well as I am rubberbanding all over the place as well as my shots are not showing any connections and tracking the rocks in the air is dicked to holy hell. I disconnected and went back to my Texas Wastelands server where the game is fun.

The loving official servers are complete poo poo. Thousands of people placing garbage on the beach, overpopulation, god awful ping and framerate dickups. No wonder you people complain about frames and performance issues all the time. Its the loving server.

The issue I see with the private servers is that players can download a guy into the server from single player that they used server commands on to boost to 60 straight up. Other than that setting which can be turned off the private servers are superior in every way to that offical garbage. The most likely cause of it was the day one play surge prompted them to multi box their servers so they might not have true dedicated servers over there and just a whole bunch of split ones.

Give a private server a shot for 10 mins. Tell me you don't see a loving difference in performance.

I am playing on a TexasWastlands.com Server
192.223.31.180:27030

My ping averages from 60-90 range.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Drinkfist posted:

I have been having a great time in a private server with a low population as it was the only one that I could really join a few days back given the official servers are literal poo poo. My frame rate is stable except during area transitions and then it fixes after a short stall. My ping is great here and I can fight dinos without any frameloss. So with my magic wonderland I go and hear about how you guys set up shop on the official server 40. So I think to myself "Hey Drinkfist you should go over to the "goon" server and level up a guy."

So I go and try to join you're poo poo server. After 12 or so minutes of "Server is full" messages I get in and my framerate takes a nosedive. I chill out in an area for a bit until it stabilizes and has everything loaded and then go to brawl a dodo. During the fight I rubberband all over the place and my hits don't show any connection like blood splatter or anything. But my health is going down as it does with fistfights so I am connecting. After a pile of dodo deaths I go and speed level to the slingshot and go to knock out a trike to continue my speed leveling. Night comes and nukes my frames and kiting the trike doesn't work well as I am rubberbanding all over the place as well as my shots are not showing any connections and tracking the rocks in the air is dicked to holy hell. I disconnected and went back to my Texas Wastelands server where the game is fun.

The loving official servers are complete poo poo. Thousands of people placing garbage on the beach, overpopulation, god awful ping and framerate dickups. No wonder you people complain about frames and performance issues all the time. Its the loving server.

The issue I see with the private servers is that players can download a guy into the server from single player that they used server commands on to boost to 60 straight up. Other than that setting which can be turned off the private servers are superior in every way to that offical garbage. The most likely cause of it was the day one play surge prompted them to multi box their servers so they might not have true dedicated servers over there and just a whole bunch of split ones.

Give a private server a shot for 10 mins. Tell me you don't see a loving difference in performance.

I am playing on a TexasWastlands.com Server
192.223.31.180:27030

My ping averages from 60-90 range.
When the official servers have low population they too run amazingly well (I.e. right after a patch or during morning hours). The problem is the game has a hard time when you get at max pop. It is also the most fun at max pop, as battling other dudes is a real highlight of this game. Have fun on your low population server tho.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Developers cheaper out on instances, and or hoping the optimization brings usage dedicated server resources down a lot. The private server I setup is on average, using around 1.2Ghz and 5GB of RAM while idle/no players.

You can't upload any characters from single player as far as I know, only copy survivors from official servers to another official/unofficial server.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

You can't upload any characters from single player as far as I know, only copy survivors from official servers to another official/unofficial server.

Hmmmm That was my assumption on how that CSGO goon that joined my server at level 60 did it. Ill have to ask him now. I know he didn't have a legit level 60 given what he told me.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

When the official servers have low population they too run amazingly well (I.e. right after a patch or during morning hours). The problem is the game has a hard time when you get at max pop. It is also the most fun at max pop, as battling other dudes is a real highlight of this game. Have fun on your low population server tho.

If it was any other game I would agree with you on the player fights being highlights but survival in this game is brutal enough with all the crazy rear end dinos roaming about. This is defiantly a step in the right direction for the survival genre where players were the only threat roaming about the countryside and offline raids are a big deal. Having turrets and dinos protecting your base is an upside but if the player population is the real reason of the performance destruction then I still would rather my low pop until the optimization passes start bearing fruit. It's just so drat frustrating to deal with the framerate in such a hostile world.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 10, 2015

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Drinkfist posted:

Hmmmm That was my assumption on how that CSGO goon that joined my server at level 60 did it. Ill have to ask him now. I know he didn't have a legit level 60 given what he told me.

Is he friends with the administrator, or has the admin password? On private servers cheating levels is as easy as "cheat addexperience", and with the proper parameter, you can share it through your entire tribe.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

37th Chamber posted:

Is he friends with the administrator, or has the admin password? On private servers cheating levels is as easy as "cheat addexperience", and with the proper parameter, you can share it through your entire tribe.

Thats doubtful. I literally just sorted the server list by ping and pop and picked one with a name that sounded like it wasn't gonna be taken down. Until I contact him I still think it was a single player character that he uploaded and then downloaded in. Has anyone actually tried that yet? I know the offical servers block character downloads that are outside of the official servers or so I am told.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Multiple people have claimed that dedicated private servers run well even at max capacity, so unless they're all lying (possible, I suppose), that's not the issue.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Multiple people have claimed that dedicated private servers run well even at max capacity, so unless they're all lying (possible, I suppose), that's not the issue.

I imagine with all the official servers they have a few of them handling more than one iteration of the official servers. One computer running a private server isn't going to have a fraction of the load a computer running two or three dedicated official clients with max population on will.

If that's the case it'll get fixed eventually. It's just a matter of expanding their hardware to support the load. Or optimizing the game. Whatever comes first I guess.

Edit: Still, this is a pretty bad reason to play on a private server. Unless you're a hardcore "never want to see PVP at all" sort the game is so much more fun with it enabled. This game has a delightful number of ways to gently caress with people that aren't really offered in any of its competitors.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 11, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Archonex posted:

Edit: Still, this is a pretty bad reason to play on a private server. Unless you're a hardcore "never want to see PVP at all" sort the game is so much more fun with it enabled. This game has a delightful number of ways to gently caress with people that aren't really offered in any of its competitors.

PvP isn't necessarily disabled on non-official servers. The PvP ought to be better on them if there is actually less rubberbanding. The real issue is actually getting pubbies into such a server, and then having them stay after being poo poo all over. The consensus, probably correctly, is that it's too much effort and too likely to fail.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I bought this game a few nights ago and have really enjoyed it so far.

I have been soloing around the island leveling up and learning the controls and finally started a survivor on server 40.

Is the mumble/steamgroup info in the OP still good for joining the tribe?

e: nvm joined the mumble and its populated so I guess it's good to go.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Patch came out recently:

quote:

- Torch no longer loses durability when you pick from plants with it equipped.
- Tamed Dinos no longer get OP health boost from harvesting bodies/plants, now they get a more mild health restoration. May further adjust if needed.
- Fixed Female Sabertooth Riding animations (no more T-Pose), and tweaked riding animation speeds on Saber, Trike, and Bronto

Someone should check to see if the tweaked animation speed made Sabertooths faster. The torch thing ought to make torches last a bit longer if you're busy harvesting outside.

Also, since it was in the same thread this is apparently coming this week as well:

quote:

Hardcore GPU optimization pass 1: expected gains ~10% on high-end, ~20% on mid-range, ~30%+ on low-end.
Tribe Government Types
Spike Blockade (primitive tech): very effective vs dinos
Food Storage Salt Bin (primitive tech): lets you keep your foods from spoiling longer prior to getting a fridge.
Melee Attacking without stamina will now be allowed on Dinos and Players, but will increase your torpor each time you do it >:)--
Post-Login Msg if you died indicates why you died, who/what killed you, etc.
Capability for flyers to carry low-height dinos, not just humans.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 11, 2015