Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are posted:

Not a dumb question. They actually put a whole section in the official FAQ clarifying how spells and spell slots work:
http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=12062#rules

Ohhh, interesting. I don't know why I assumed Wizards (and by extension Necromancers) could "prepare" a different spell list each day but other spellcasting classes couldn't. It's really interesting that they're all the same in that regard. Thanks for linking this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, I really thought I had it right with "spells known". But then again, it works out to the same either way.

So in your sorcerer example, you could use only spells of 3rd or 5th level, but you can upgrade any 1st level spell to either of those. (I think I actually understood that wrong initially.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So it sounds like we will be getting another playtest packet for 13th Age in Glorantha next Friday or so. The email also talked about working on classes so I am hoping it will actually have classes, and maybe races, that can be playtested. Still looking forward to the rumored Troll gets eaten by a bigger Troll to level up thing they had talked about way back when.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of my players really wants to play a "pacifist" character, in that he won't personally shed the blood of any sentient being. (Monsters and undead, of course, are fair game.) He's playing the Dilettante, so a lot of his moves involve shielding others, confusing or pushing enemies around, that kind of thing, so I think it's a good class for it. The thing is, he still has to hit enemies in melee to use those flexible attacks, so he's still dealing melee damage.

Any suggestions for how I can make this work for him? The Dilettante requires a free hand for its Warding abilities, so my go-to "we can at least pretend this is non-lethal" weapon, the quarterstaff, is probably impractical.

How does 13th Age handle nonlethal damage, anyway? Do players just have to declare that they're not "shooting to kill?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty much. If you look at page 169, there's a paragraph about reducing monsters to 0 HP:

quote:

When monsters drop to 0 HP, it usually means they've been slain, unless the characters' intent is to keep the monster alive and the attack seems like a potentially humane blow that could knock the monster unconscious instead.
The easiest thing to do would be to treat HP less as a measure of health and more as the measure of fighting spirit, which is halfway baked into it already, reinterpret all related rules elements accordingly, and take it from there, with "0 HP" as a stand-in for all sorts of things - kill someone, knock them unconscious, make them run or submit, finally manage to disarm them, those could all be ways someone is taken out of a fight. "Hit" just means "your action is successful" and an "attack" is just "an action that impedes someone's fighting ability" when you get right down to it. You could even flavour it as his attempts to defend himself while he's shielding a buddy or pushing the enemy around.

Another way, if the rest of the group is on board, would be to make it an element of the game. The party know how to handle monsters and undead, but they simply won't resort to violence against people. You'd have to put them through scenarios where there's a diplomatic solution for everything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd love to do that second part, but I'm not sure if they'll bite. At least a couple members of the group are pretty loathe to solve things with talking, though, to their credit, they've mostly been fighting insane cultists who want to blow up the city and also resurrect an ancient dragon, so their enemies haven't exactly been open to discussing alternative solutions. Their next couple of scenarios will have diplomatic solutions built in, but at least one of them is going to require them to get over some very strong anti-orc prejudice.

Part of it is that I intentionally gave them quite a lot of legal authority. They're part of an extra-governmental organization called the Order of the Jade Eye that started as a monster-hunting group ages ago but has since grown to be basically a cross between Grey Wardens and Spectres: they have legal authority to act as they see fit in any nation on the continent with the assumption that they'll use that power to remove threats to innocent people, but also the recruitment process isn't exactly stringent, so there are some people in the group who probably shouldn't be allowed to have that kind of authority.

I'm also not sure how this player's character is going to reconcile his technical pacifism. Okay, so he won't shed a sentient being's blood, but he has no problem manipulating events so that his allies do it for him? That kind of thing deserves to be questioned, at least.

For now, I'll probably ask him to describe his attacks more like defending himself, then, at least until we come up with some cool nonlethal fighting style for him to use. Maybe a single tonfa or something (so his other hand can stay free).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In today's session, the pacifist Dilettante got hit with a confuse effect, repeatedly failed his saves, repeatedly randomly rolled the Necromancer as the target of his attacks, and then ended up scoring a critical hit on the Necromancer and killing him. Not knocking him unconscious--taking him all the way to like -29 HP, which, RAW, means the Necromancer would be dead-dead.

I ended up, on the spot, applying the "Meaningful Deaths" variant rule just so that we wouldn't have to lose a promising character to the most ludicrous series of rolls I've seen in years. I kind of don't like that rule, if I'm honest--I feel like it means I'm going to have to work overtime to make sure my players feel like their characters are ever actually in danger--but at least now one of the only characters whose player has developed an actual personality for gets to stay in the game (with a broken collarbone that's hindering his physical skill checks for a while) instead of being taken out by the worst dice luck in the whole campaign.

Next week they're going up against a homebrewed variant of a shadow dragon that is going to serve as a legitimate "boss fight." In preparation, they ended up contracting an artificer friend of theirs to make a mirror with a scrying spell on it that will scry inside the sun. (I ruled that the artificer needs a piece of whatever it is he's scrying on to do it, and the figured, well, plants consume sunlight, and this table is made of wood, so...) Basically, they have a short-lived solar laser to turn on this thing. I was so impressed by their idea that I just had to let it work. It won't win them the fight, but this thing is going to really, really hate that mirror.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I kind of don't like that rule, if I'm honest--I feel like it means I'm going to have to work overtime to make sure my players feel like their characters are ever actually in danger

You don't have to work harder, you just have to make sure they care about something other than their lives. And if they care about nothing but their lives... keep pushing until you find something else they DO care about. Also, always have a plan for a party wipe that isn't "Welp, campaign's over."

I gave my players functional immunity to random death at the start of my L5R game and have never looked back or found it anything but completely awesome. My players feel more free to do amazing things, and when they know that that protection isn't there, they do awesome things ANYWAY because it's going to be an amazing death that was totally worth it, and they won't be penalized for it on their next character. They may know that you can't kill them, but they'll be surprised what they can live through.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Pretty much no story ever has been made better by one of the main characters getting randomly killed in the middle of the story for no reason, so I don't see why it should be acceptable in games.

I like the idea of rhe variant where if you die like that you are marked for death and the next time the stakes are high enough, your dead-man-walking character is a gonner, though I've never used it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Pretty much no story ever has been made better by one of the main characters getting randomly killed in the middle of the story for no reason, so I don't see why it should be acceptable in games.

I like the idea of rhe variant where if you die like that you are marked for death and the next time the stakes are high enough, your dead-man-walking character is a gonner, though I've never used it.

Huh, that's an interesting variant. Sort of like, you're definitely going to die an appropriately dramatic death in the next situation where the stakes are high enough, but you're not going to die some boring, random death in this encounter with some random assholes? I probably won't enforce that in this particular campaign, but that is pretty cool.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Anyone have a preferred class writeup for Eberron's artificer?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

inklesspen posted:

Anyone have a preferred class writeup for Eberron's artificer?

This one is pretty neat. It's a bit time-consuming to look up magic oils and spell effects, but it captures the flavor of the Eberron Artificer very well.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Cool. I found that one earlier, actually, and the Wright from the thread OP is also pretty decent for the concept. Just wanted to see if there was something else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Paladin player in the group I GM for wants to multiclass with Commander, which I think is a great idea. Just want to make sure I'm doing the multiclass rules right: does he keep his Paladin weapon/armor proficiencies when he picks up the Commander multiclass? I know Commander has talents for wearing heavy armor without penalty and using heavy weapons without penalty, but the Paladin has those baseline.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Harrow posted:

The Paladin player in the group I GM for wants to multiclass with Commander, which I think is a great idea. Just want to make sure I'm doing the multiclass rules right: does he keep his Paladin weapon/armor proficiencies when he picks up the Commander multiclass? I know Commander has talents for wearing heavy armor without penalty and using heavy weapons without penalty, but the Paladin has those baseline.

The way I read it, your player would keep their weapon proficiencies but not their armor, so commander attacks would be at a penalty in heavy armor. If you did take Armor Training you'd be up to 16 base AC, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

The way I read it, your player would keep their weapon proficiencies but not their armor, so commander attacks would be at a penalty in heavy armor. If you did take Armor Training you'd be up to 16 base AC, though.

Oh, yep. I missed the armor part. Well I expect he'll take the Armor Training talent, then--he has to take at least one Commander talent anyway, and he's going to need that heavy armor to keep being the party's only even remotely tanky member.

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh, yep. I missed the armor part. Well I expect he'll take the Armor Training talent, then--he has to take at least one Commander talent anyway, and he's going to need that heavy armor to keep being the party's only even remotely tanky member.

One of my players went paladin/commander in a previous campaign, and ended up never using commander attacks due to commander's multiclass feat which combines very well with the smite adventurer feat. If you're clever about it you can easily get away with no armor training talent.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Commander's MC feat is only 1/battle, and then 2/battle with the later one, though. What I usually do is open with a feated Smite to stock up on command points, then use commander attacks unless I want to smite again for some reason. However, I got armor training from taking the Strength domain. I'm not sure if it works that way, but my DM doesn't have a problem with it.

Dec 26, 2012

It's a worthwhile point to mention that he was mostly sticking to tactics and low-point commands.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

01011001 posted:

One of my players went paladin/commander in a previous campaign, and ended up never using commander attacks due to commander's multiclass feat which combines very well with the smite adventurer feat. If you're clever about it you can easily get away with no armor training talent.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if he doesn't take that feat anyway. He does love to Smite.

Zarick posted:

Commander's MC feat is only 1/battle, and then 2/battle with the later one, though. What I usually do is open with a feated Smite to stock up on command points, then use commander attacks unless I want to smite again for some reason. However, I got armor training from taking the Strength domain. I'm not sure if it works that way, but my DM doesn't have a problem with it.

Isn't Strength for heavy weapons training, not armor training? Even if not, he's pretty attached to the War domain so far. Getting to invoke it and boost the escalation die once per day is something he really enjoys doing.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

This coming Saturday is Free RPG Day, and it looks like there will be another 13th Age adventure that your stores might have.

http://www.freerpgday.com/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Myrmidongs posted:

This coming Saturday is Free RPG Day, and it looks like there will be another 13th Age adventure that your stores might have.

I grabbed this already since I'm running it at a not-very-local store; it's okay. It's not as detailed as last year's because it's a split-book with Night's Black Agents. It also doesn't have the stuff like "here's how you teach people how to pick Icons for the demo" and modifying the monsters based on the evil Icon the group picks, which is a shame. That stuff worked well for a demo.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Myrmidongs posted:

I'll be running this locally as well. I wish they would have put the new pregens out as a PDF, as there are some new ones, including a Commander. Guess this means I'll have to xerox the pages. :effort:

I'll probably pick up Eyes of the Stone Thief tomorrow as well, since I've been behind on 13th Age developments and everyone is saying it's good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I made better sheets for the pregens in this year's adventure. Hopefully this isn't :filez: or anything, but if it is I'll take it down:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29294549/merged_document.pdf

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Are there any good tools out there for GMing 13th Age? Monster creation, battles, whatever? If not, has anybody had success using 4e stuff for things like this? Also, is there a character sheet with stuff for all the powers, or should I just have my players use the basic one and make cards or something?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

FishFood posted:

Are there any good tools out there for GMing 13th Age? Monster creation, battles, whatever? If not, has anybody had success using 4e stuff for things like this? Also, is there a character sheet with stuff for all the powers, or should I just have my players use the basic one and make cards or something?

http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=8764 this page has much of what you want!

Though my favorite tool's link is broken. but the true URL still works so its still uploaded. http://www.pelgranepress.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/The-Khaos-Generator-v3_0.xlsm this Excel sheet has allowed me to make so many custom monsters. I enjoy it!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So outside of the mushroom people and the frog people are there any other official races that have been introduced?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm I thought the 13th Age in Glorantha stuff was going to get an update to the playtest materials today, but I haven't seen it.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm I thought the 13th Age in Glorantha stuff was going to get an update to the playtest materials today, but I haven't seen it.

It did. Just check out your account page at glorantha.com and re-download the 13G001.pdf file.

They made a couple of KS updates regarding this.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Vaguely disappointed that the troll writeup doesn't go with the earlier outlined/suggested plan of "Start as a level 1 trollkin, get eaten every tier advance by another, bigger troll and start playing that one instead." But maybe they're saving that for the troll classes, not just the race writeup.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Danoss posted:

It did. Just check out your account page at glorantha.com and re-download the 13G001.pdf file.

They made a couple of KS updates regarding this.

Yeah just saw the email saying so.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Vaguely disappointed that the troll writeup doesn't go with the earlier outlined/suggested plan of "Start as a level 1 trollkin, get eaten every tier advance by another, bigger troll and start playing that one instead." But maybe they're saving that for the troll classes, not just the race writeup.

Man haven't gotten that far but that was one of the big things I was looking forward to. Maybe there will be an actual troll specific class that is all about being eaten by bigger trolls to level up.

Before actually reading everything:

quote:

Chapter 2 has complete rules for creating
your human, duck, or troll PC.
Woo.

quote:

Chapter 3: Running Glorantha; most all the
rules you’ll need to play, including narrating
runes, battlefield healing, heroquest gifts, and
heroic returns
Hmm will be interesting to see how this differs from normal 13th Age.

quote:

Chapter 4: Classes; seven playable classes
from first through 10th level.
Wow.

quote:

Chapter 5: Enemies; a selection of
Gloranthan monsters, mostly from Chaos so far,
but with guests from Darkness and the Moon.
More monsters is always nice.

quote:

Chapter 6: Adventures; two adventures.
More prebuilt adventures are nice.

quote:

Chapter 7: Heroquests; a sample heroquest
that’s not part of a specific adventure, and a
draft of our DIY notes for designing heroquests.
And rules for Heroquests which should be something different from normal 13th Age.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Moreso than ever I wish I hadn't forgotten to back that. My tears flow deep.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Aw, man. No berserker.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earthorn posted:

Aw, man. No berserker.

There are multiple flavors of Berserker?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How is 13th Age in Glorantha going nowadays? I heard previously that some of the classes weren't too different from the bog-standard 13th Age ones.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

How is 13th Age in Glorantha going nowadays? I heard previously that some of the classes weren't too different from the bog-standard 13th Age ones.

I haven't looked at this new packet, but here's what I can say from the first:

No matter how the classes turn out, there are a shitload of bells and whistles with runes and whatnot that is going to make 13A: Glorantha way different and way cooler than base 13A. Even if you don't run Glorantha, you'll want to steal tons of stuff from it.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
They changed the Sword of Humakt to just "The Humakti" class.

It can still hit someone so hard their soul falls out, though.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

There are multiple flavors of Berserker?

Yeah, three apparently. I think I am most interested in the Zorak Zoran version.

There are no berserker rules in this playtest packet, though.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay there are 7 classes, two of which seem completely new as far as I can tell. The others are transformation classes, which I guess means they work off a similar base with some features switched with other classes, or straight up new class features, and the same for talents.

Every player gets three runes. Two are determined by your god. The last is chosen by you. You cannot have the Chaos rune. The current playtest at least has 3 races, Human, Duck and Troll. Human don't get the normal racial power, though it is one of the options they can end up with. Instead they pick a power from one of the runes they have. Ducks pick between two racial powers, one which is more for a serious character and one for if you are going with a cartoony kind of thing. The trolls have two racial powers, which they have access to in any given battle is dependent on the natural roll of the d20 for initiative.

Humans still have the +2 to any stat, ducks are +2 to either dex or int, and trolls are +3 to either str or con. Yes +3. There is a balance to this, trolls MUST have Strength and Constitution among their top three stats.

Haven't seen anything about trolls leveling by getting eaten by bigger trolls, maybe it will be in a class for trolls later on?

For the classes:

NO CLERICS but everyone can pick someone up, giving them the use of a recovery, when someone is at 0 hp. There is a bit more to it, involving a roll to see if you can use this more than once per battle and other things.

Humakti or Sword of Humakt. New class, focus on str and wis. Seems to be fairly combat capable, can wear up to heavy armor with 15 base ac, can wield heavy/martial weapons without penalty. When they hit with a sword they get a bonus to damage equal to their level, undead creatures are vulnerable to their attacks, and they can declare a truth such that it truly rings in them. Talents to lower AC and get a random bonus each day, a Fear Aura, to ignore resistance with your attacks, to get warcries, or to get a counterattack once per battle. They also get powers. Some are once per battle like Battle Drill which has you make a basic attack and if you hit make another basic attack and if you hit make another basic attack and so on until you miss or make Wis modifier attacks. Or Hefty Blow which has you make a basic attack with a bonus to attack and damage equal to your Con mod. Or daily uses like Flashing Blade which lets you attack up to three enemies.

Verdict? Pretty cool. But you have to have that god as the one you worship, I assume Trolls probably aren't going to fit, Ducks might.

Monk. No it doesn't list the whole class, all it does is list a new style, a shield monk. It adds a new Talent and Forms for the use with shields.

Rebel is a rogue, kind of. Gets Opening Strike instead of Sneak Attack, does more damage but is only when you first hit the enemy in that battle. They get Transgress instead of Trap Sense. They remove some Rogue talents, replace with some new ones for Rebel, and put restrictions on some others. A lot of powers stay the same, some that mention Sneak Attack now use Opening Strike instead, and some new ones added.

Verdict? Looks maybe interesting, the switch from Sneak Attack to Opening Strike may change things, and it might not be quite the trap monkey the Rogue was.

Storm Voice is based off the Sorcerer. They cannot gain Wizardry stuff through talents, Breath Weapon is reflavored, Dancing Lights is replaced with Sparks, Gather Power replaced by Gather Storm, Random Energy replaced by Energy Translation and Daily Random Energy. Part of that means spells that don't deal a very "storm like" damage get converted to random energy, and you roll each day to see which of the storm like elements you have for that day. Really all those replaces are vaguely similar to what they replace, but with a more stormy bent. Most talents have been either replaced or renamed, Blood Link is just gone. Some spells are renamed, some are gone, some are adjusted/changed, and some new spells.

Verdict? It is a sorcerer, just with a more storm heavy bent, there are changes but it is mostly the same class.

Storm Warrior is the first of the new barbarian classes. Replaces Rage with Inspired Battler, also adds a new class feature called Excellence. Inspired Battler has you rolling a 1d6 at the beginning of each round, if it rolls equal or lower than the escalation die you become inspired for the rest of the battle. Inspired opens up new actions, initially only Inspired Strike which is a quick action attack to attack someone you were not engaged with at the start of your turn. Feats and talents may add new options, and feats and talents that trigger off raging now trigger off being inspired. A lot of talents say to use as printed, and even goes on to say that Ancestral Warband was designed with Glorantha in mind. Adds some new talents.

Verdict. Well it seems like an improved Barbarian, switching out Rage for Inspired Battler and otherwise just adding new stuff.

Trickster is the other actually new class. Yeah okay. Tricksters. Yeah. So Base AC of 9, not 10. Light is 11 with a -2 attack penalty, Heavy is 12 with a -5 attack penalty, and a Shield adds +1 AC for a further -2 attack penalty. Yeah. Weapons. Yeah. Small one handed weapons are things like a dagger or wooden spoke, and they have a -1 penalty to attack with these. Two handed small would be a 1d6 damage table leg club, hey no penalty to attack there! Light or simple weapons have a -2 penalty and suggestions are fireplace poker or tongs for 1-handed and heavy wood dinner tray for 2-handed. A -5 penalty to use heavy or martial weapons like a chain and ball for 1-handed and an improvised weapon for 1d10 2-handed. So yeah, not the most likely to be wearing armor or wielding weapons. Also their basic attacks. Melee basic they deal 1 damage to themselves when they miss, instead of dealing level in damage as miss damage, and ranged basic if they miss they deal 1 damage to a random ally. Class features include Clumsy, Dithering, Disordered, Unfocused which gives them a -5 penalty to initiative and tells you to come up with what distracted you this time; Erratic at Best which has you lose one of your current Trickster talents randomly after every full heal-up, you then roll randomly to replace it with one of the six remaining talents you don't have or aren't currently replacing; Feckless Strugge which gives you an at will melee attack that doesn't deal damage, instead it applies feckless points or bad luck to the target, the next time an ally hits the enemy they deal that much more damage. Talents include Abject Failure which lets you roll two d20s twice per day when you roll a skill check, you use the lower roll and until the end of the battle or for the next five minutes one nearby ally can the use the higher result for the same type of skill check; Bad Luck Magnet which once per battle when an ally rolls a natural 1-3 on an attack roll or save you can take a 1, the ally rerolls and on your next turn if you attack you use a natural 1 instead of rolling; Battle Luck is 1/day roll a d20 at the start of the battle, until the end of the battle if the Trickster or an ally rolls the same number on an attack roll it is instead a crit if it was a hit or a hit if it was a miss, in addition each time the trickster or an ally roll that result the trickster can heal using a recovery; Bounce Back when healing using a recovery they heal 1 additional hit point for each recovery they've used since their last full heal-up; Dumb Dumb once a battle when an enemy misses with a melee attack or close-quarters attack they can have the enemy immediately reroll the attack as if it had been its own target instead of the trickster, but the trickster becomes vulnerable to all other attacks for one round; Follow Me! No Her! No Me! is 1/day quick action reroll the escalation die, and until the end of the battle instead of advancing the escalation die normally at the start of each round roll the escalation die and live with the new result, the effect ends the first time the trickster rolls a 1 with the new escalation die; Fortunate Collision is once per battle when a nearby ally drops to 0 hp the trickster can roll a normal save and if they fail nothing happens but if they succeed they instead lose a recovery and the ally heals using a recovery; Scapegoat when you make a save against a save ends effect and one or more of your allies are also subjected to one roll two d20s use the higher for the ally and the lower for yourself; The Very Thing 1/day your party stumbles across the very thing they need in order to move the story forward. The Trickster also gets powers. Uh a lot of mess with luck, trade blows and stuff.

Verdict. Uh. Wow. Okay this is confusing, it seems real terrible at a lot of stuff, at least basic attacks. It is kind of the comic relief that doesn't seem to do anything useful but accidentally stumbles on the answer all the time. I don't really know what to say about this class, but it is going to require walking in to it with both eyes open and understanding just what you are getting into.

Windlord is a transformation class for fighter. Extra Tough is replaced by The Inner Wind, and Threatening is replaced by Wind Step. The first gives a new Flexible Melee Attack which lets you use a new thing called Exploits when triggered. Adds some new maneuvers and new talents. Some maneuvers are replaced, not sure if the new ones are better or worse than what the fighter had.

Verdict? Probably better than the fighter, at least fairly comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It looks like these classes are at least partially in response to a major complaint I shared with many others: the core books had a number of martial classes without as many cool options as spellcasters. In that respect, I can't not love 13G.

Now I don't need to finish this godawful mobile melee caster class I'm cobbling together from paper clips and bat guano, because the windlord and Humakti do it better than I ever could.