Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's still pretty damning that they cut out the Young Griff stuff. Either it's going to be added next season or the entire thing is basically dead weight and excess poo poo GRRM never should've wasted time on and D&D know it because they aren't GRRM's spineless editors.

It already felt like dead weight when I first read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"the most vibrantly crimson of herrings."

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Does Stannis really burn his daughter at the stake? I've yet to read A Feast for Crows and I'd like to know if I got trolled or spoiled by loving GBS

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vorik posted:

Does Stannis really burn his daughter at the stake? I've yet to read A Feast for Crows and I'd like to know if I got trolled or spoiled by loving GBS

Obviously it must have happened because D&D only adapts the main storyline.

Also, Asha runs away from dogs and a shirtless man.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Vorik posted:

Read and find out :kheldragar:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Stannis leaves his daughter and Melisandre at the Wall, in the book. The implication is that Mel is going to burn her when Stannis isn't looking and probably resurrect Jon Snow in the act.

Of course, we don't know if that'll ever happen since the next book still isn't out.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's still pretty damning that they cut out the Young Griff stuff. Either it's going to be added next season or the entire thing is basically dead weight and excess poo poo GRRM never should've wasted time on and D&D know it because they aren't GRRM's spineless editors.

What is the logic here? because they cut it in the show it doesn;t matter? Can someone release the wikipedia page with plot synopsis and ending so y'all can get your juvenile gratification and then gently caress off forever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What is the logic here? because they cut it in the show it doesn;t matter?

That is the exact logic you dumb motherfucker.

The books have an extremely wide range of focus with parallel plot threads that often meander farther and farther away from one another, which benefits the books in that the audience isn't aware of what is and is not going to become relevant in later books-- for example in Book 1 you might recall Stannis being mentioned but might not ascribe a lot of particular importance to him given all the houses and minor characters you're introduced to and then right at the start of Book 2 he's a major new player in the story. This was fun when the story was relatively contained but now we have major players all over two continents and their oceans, and fatigue sets in from the stagnation and tangents that are still unresolved after five years of no new books.

Thus what the show focuses on is very telling because the show has a very limited amount of time and thus can only focus on the most important pieces of the sprawling interwoven narrative of the books, informing the audience of what is and is not going to be most relevant to plot developments going forward. Stoneheart is absent? Guess she's not that relevant to everything else then. Aegon is out? Wow the obvious red herring really does seem to be a red herring. Things can always change but at this stage in the game it's pretty doubtful unless the show wants to introduce flashbacks or gently caress around with the timeline of events.

Now please tell me about how it's the journey and not the destination. I'm so eager to hear it. :allears:

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

mind the walrus posted:

That is the exact logic you dumb motherfucker.

The books have an extremely wide range of focus with parallel plot threads that often meander farther and farther away from one another, which benefits the books in that the audience isn't aware of what is and is not going to become relevant in later books-- for example in Book 1 you might recall Stannis being mentioned but might not ascribe a lot of particular importance to him given all the houses and minor characters you're introduced to and then right at the start of Book 2 he's a major new player in the story. This was fun when the story was relatively contained but now we have major players all over two continents and their oceans, and fatigue sets in from the stagnation and tangents that are still unresolved after five years of no new books.

Thus what the show focuses on is very telling because the show has a very limited amount of time and thus can only focus on the most important pieces of the sprawling interwoven narrative of the books, informing the audience of what is and is not going to be most relevant to plot developments going forward. Stoneheart is absent? Guess she's not that relevant to everything else then. Aegon is out? Wow the obvious red herring really does seem to be a red herring. Things can always change but at this stage in the game it's pretty doubtful unless the show wants to introduce flashbacks or gently caress around with the timeline of events.

Now please tell me about how it's the journey and not the destination. I'm so eager to hear it. :allears:

The show has deviated so far from books at this point that what's important in the books probably will have no relevance to what's important in the show anyway. Also, if all you care about is how it ends, then you might as well just turn to the last chapter of any book you read and not bother reading any of that bothersome middle "filler stuff" at all.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

mind the walrus posted:

That is the exact logic

Trolls, even weak ones, be trollin', man.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

With the scheduled release (current for now) being July 2017, Winds of Winter will be out after the show ends. Would he have the books go completely different to the books, for instance say who ends up on the throne or having Jon Snow be a targaryen in one but not the other? I think it would be an interesting idea to keep books able to have twists, but it also seems rather off to me as well.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SaviourX posted:

Trolls, even weak ones, be trollin', man.

This thread was supposed to be untrollable. Crying walrus man is ruining y'all's reputation.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

looking for this quote i also some discussion that was rather interesting about how Jaqen seems to conduct himself somewhat differently and isn't seemingly bound by this rule:

And it's odd that he references R'hllor a lot, it can also be explained that this is only because Arya specifically saves him, rorge and biter from burning but maybe there is a chance that he's a rogue agent? or that GRRM simply didn't come up with the 'rules' yet when he wrote ACOK.

Yeah, poetic license. This is why I can't buy any book conspiracy theory that goes too deep. GRRM has inconsistencies in the books, and its ok unless you are being a sperg lord. I expect that is a (small) part of what has been freaking GRRM the gently caress out, people subjecting his books to scrutiny he never expected, along with poor editing and the fact that he has been winging it for a while.

Gianthogweed posted:

The show has deviated so far from books at this point that what's important in the books probably will have no relevance to what's important in the show anyway. Also, if all you care about is how it ends, then you might as well just turn to the last chapter of any book you read and not bother reading any of that bothersome middle "filler stuff" at all.

I disagree, I think the main milestones will be the same - or at least the book and show are going off the same outline. GRRM will definitely change things, out of spite if nothing else. But when we see that the show has dropped Griff, It means that according to the notes Griff wasn't the loving prince who was promised.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This thread was supposed to be untrollable. Crying walrus man is ruining y'all's reputation.

Being an idiot isn't trolling. People getting irritated because you are a retard isn't trolling. It isn't clever, and it isn't anything for you to be proud of. It just means no one likes you, and you have nothing useful to contribute.

It is even sadder that you wear this as a badge of accomplishment, like some smelly homeless man, steeped in his own piss, who is proud that "those stuck up rich people" don't want to be around him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

With the scheduled release (current for now) being July 2017, Winds of Winter will be out after the show ends. Would he have the books go completely different to the books, for instance say who ends up on the throne or having Jon Snow be a targaryen in one but not the other? I think it would be an interesting idea to keep books able to have twists, but it also seems rather off to me as well.

It's all just idle speculation at this point. There's any number of roads GRRM can take this down, with the top three being 1) finish his original plans for the series, 2) blend elements of the show ending into the books, or 3) go Full Spite on the show for spoiling everything he'd spent 20 years faffing about with and just change everything he can get away with changing.

Again, though, it's not going to matter in the long run. The books have officially missed their window of relevancy, gently caress, they passed it a long time ago, to be perfectly honest.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Blind Sally posted:

Stannis leaves his daughter and Melisandre at the Wall, in the book. The implication is that Mel is going to burn her when Stannis isn't looking and probably resurrect Jon Snow in the act.

Of course, we don't know if that'll ever happen since the next book still isn't out.

By burning the daughter of a king, she will would raise a dragon :aaa:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It's all just idle speculation at this point. There's any number of roads GRRM can take this down, with the top three being 1) finish his original plans for the series, 2) blend elements of the show ending into the books, or 3) go Full Spite on the show for spoiling everything he'd spent 20 years faffing about with and just change everything he can get away with changing.

Again, though, it's not going to matter in the long run. The books have officially missed their window of relevancy, gently caress, they passed it a long time ago, to be perfectly honest.

You missed 4) which is to die before the books are done.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

kcroy posted:

Being an idiot isn't trolling. People getting irritated because you are a retard isn't trolling. It isn't clever, and it isn't anything for you to be proud of. It just means no one likes you, and you have nothing useful to contribute.

It is even sadder that you wear this as a badge of accomplishment, like some smelly homeless man, steeped in his own piss, who is proud that "those stuck up rich people" don't want to be around him.

Actually this thread is really sad, dude. You're like its number one defender which makes you king of the sad fuckwits, I'm afraid.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You say this like Alfie Allen talking about his dick being removed wouldn't be hilarious.

Lena Headey reading Sticky Princes and Samwise reading Fat Pink Mast.

:circlefap:

i can hear the stick yprinc

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Syrio was also memorable and super popular, "Not today" is one of the most famous phrases from the show, a 'previously on' segment showing Meryn going for the kill would remind most watchers that 'this dude sucks and Arya hates him', not to mention that whole 'she's been reciting his name in her prayer at least once per season for 4 years'. The dude has gotten a fair amount of scenes in at least half of those he's been a dick to someone the audience likes, etc etc.

And for the Raff/Pedophile angle, Arya peeking into the brothel and seeing Meryn saying he likes his girls young would have sufficed as setup for Arya's seduction imo. It was really hamfisted the way it was done.

ding ding ding

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kcroy posted:

Yeah, poetic license. This is why I can't buy any book conspiracy theory that goes too deep. GRRM has inconsistencies in the books, and its ok unless you are being a sperg lord. I expect that is a (small) part of what has been freaking GRRM the gently caress out, people subjecting his books to scrutiny he never expected, along with poor editing and the fact that he has been winging it for a while.

I disagree, I think the main milestones will be the same - or at least the book and show are going off the same outline. GRRM will definitely change things, out of spite if nothing else. But when we see that the show has dropped Griff, It means that according to the notes Griff wasn't the loving prince who was promised.

what i don't get is, if griff isn't aegon and is just some kid varys found to groom into the perfect ruler, why is varys also going out of his way to help dany when they're going to be direct competitors for the throne

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kcroy posted:

nice classism in your takedown of trolling

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

A Major Fucker posted:

what i don't get is, if griff isn't aegon and is just some kid varys found to groom into the perfect ruler, why is varys also going out of his way to help dany when they're going to be direct competitors for the throne

The most widely supported theory in the fanbase is that Aegon is indeed a Targaryen but from the Blackfyre pretenders lineage, this makes sense because he's supported by the Golden Company who were historically founded by Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers who was Daemon Blackfyre's half-brother and confidant, Bittersteel has vowed to install one of Blackfyre's descendents on the Iron Throne which makes the whole 'supporting main branch Targaryens' angle somewhat curious. some people theorize that Illyrio is Aegon's father through his first marriage to some Blackfyre girl cause it is said that the Blackfyre lineage has been entirely vanquished on the male-side.

As for whether this is proven to be ultimately unimportant cause D&D don't have time to fit it in their 10 hour seasons, I'd say that's rather retarded and is akin to saying that Meryn Trant going "Younger... younger... younger" or that the Tyene/Obara slapfight scene are both important cause D&D did spend time on them, it's really bullshit and there's no way to know. Why is no one saying that the Valonqar prophecy is not important after all D&D did take a knife to it. The Blackfyres have been a prominent part of the ASOIAF novels and have gotten tons of background in the dunk and egg novels, perhaps they are not important to the story told in the show but they're important in the books.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The most widely supported theory in the fanbase is that Aegon is indeed a Targaryen but from the Blackfyre pretenders lineage, this makes sense because he's supported by the Golden Company who were historically founded by Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers who was Daemon Blackfyre's half-brother and confidant, Bittersteel has vowed to install one of Blackfyre's descendents on the Iron Throne which makes the whole 'supporting main branch Targaryens' angle somewhat curious. some people theorize that Illyrio is Aegon's father through his first marriage to some Blackfyre girl cause it is said that the Blackfyre lineage has been entirely vanquished on the male-side.

As for whether this is proven to be ultimately unimportant cause D&D don't have time to fit it in their 10 hour seasons, I'd say that's rather retarded and is akin to saying that Meryn Trant going "Younger... younger... younger" or that the Tyene/Obara slapfight scene are both important cause D&D did spend time on them, it's really bullshit and there's no way to know. Why is no one saying that the Valonqar prophecy is not important after all D&D did take a knife to it. The Blackfyres have been a prominent part of the ASOIAF novels and have gotten tons of background in the dunk and egg novels, perhaps they are not important to the story told in the show but they're important in the books.

the valonqar prophecy owns, but i don't remember any of this blackfyre stuff and i'm already confused by it

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Aegon's party was on their way to Meereen before Tyrion convinced him that conquering Westeros on his own would earn Dany's respect. I think Varys' plan was for them to get married.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Pants posted:

Aegon's party was on their way to Meereen before Tyrion convinced him that conquering Westeros on his own would earn Dany's respect. I think Varys' plan was for them to get married.

owned

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

No Pants posted:

Seeing how that worked out for Quentyn, Aegon dodged quite a bullet there.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The plan Tyrion convinces Aegon and JonCon to go for is still to have Aegon wed Dany, he just advises that Aegon only makes his proposal from a position of power. The logic is basically: Dany already has an army, and she has dragons, while the Golden Company is a fearsome fighting force and Dany might be sentimental toward Rhaegar's alleged son she has very little imperative to give up her own claim (as Aegon allegedly supercedes her as the heir to the crown prince).

All the theories concerning Aegon acknowledge that even if he is merely a pretender or a Blackfyre him and Connington are obviously oblivious of this, JonCon was Rhaegar's best friend (he is also gay and was in love with Rhaegar for years) and he supports Aegon under the assumption that he really is the true heir, so it all sorta makes sense.

As for the Blackfyres themselves, if you didn't read Dunk & Egg I personally would recommend that you do cause they're pretty great, the story is briefly that Aegon IV had a ton of bastards which he legitimized on his death bed, the three most prominent of these bastards were Daemon Blackfyre, Brynden Bloodraven and Aegor Bittersteel. Aegon IV (aka Aegon the unworthy) gave Daemon Blackfyre the ancestral valyrian sword of house Targaryen, the sword itself was called 'Blackfyre' and this is where Daemon earned his name from, traditionally the sword was held by the king and so many Westerosi lords believed that this was meant to signify that Aegon IV has named Daemon Blackfyre his heir so this sparked a major civil war in Westeros that was eventually won by the main-branch Targaryens aided by Bloodraven. Daemon Blackfyre was killed and his heirs were exiled to Essos where they kept mounting attempts to respark the rebellion in Westeros for several decades, the last male Blackfyre was "Maelys the monstrous" who was slain by Barristan Selmy during the "war of the ninepenny kings".

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 11, 2015

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Major Fucker posted:

i can hear the stick yprinc

It would be like the late night thing where people read mean twitters. poo poo would be p funny.

A Major Fucker posted:

the valonqar prophecy owns, but i don't remember any of this blackfyre stuff and i'm already confused by it

Have you read the other books like dunk and egg / dance of dragons short story etc? That talks about the blackfyre rebellion. ( i haven't read them all.. only the first dunk and egg book )

A Major Fucker posted:

I don't know. Maybe to have multiple options? In a perfect world they could always kill off ones who weren't working out - but that seems really cynical, especially for Varys who is trying to rebuild the targaryens ( for whatever reason ) . This is my problem here... I could have used some foreshadowing that there were more players in the wings... bringing grif in at this point is just like "wtf". Or maybe its some Eddie Murphy TRADING PLACES poo poo, where Illyrio and Varys bet a ducat on whether Illryo could make Griff into a prince?

A Major Fucker posted:

nice classism in your takedown of trolling

Thanks. The irony of course being that we ALL smell of piss and danyberries in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some solid trolling. But c'mon already - if that is your goal you gotta step up the game, or gtfo.You wanna troll this thread? Get it shut down, and get the mods to wrap it into the Show discussion thread. Then you can go "u mad lol", because I legitimately would be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

To me it'd be cool if her killing people became more and more ambiguous - it was a good opportunity to make the audience question whether she was doing the right thing, but instead they decided to emphasize that he was like, really bad, just to make sure it was clear.

I expect the plot to go from her getting further and further away from Arya, and then being asked to kill Jon. Although now i think that Sansa might be a likely target. And her having to choose what to do. So far her murders are all too easy ethically.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Actually this thread is really sad, dude. You're like its number one defender which makes you king of the sad fuckwits, I'm afraid.

And yet, here you are?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
The Young Griff subplot is just because so far GRRM hasn't had a chance to sperg about all the areas he drew in the Stormlands map and to introduce 50 additional houses and sigils to the book and to lovingly describe ten of these in great detail with five new mysteries that will go unsolved when he dies.

But it is a fascinating tale and I want to read more about it.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
So guys, I have some special editions of the series which are going for around £2,000 on eBay. Is now a good time to sell or should I hold onto them a bit longer? I'm scared if I don't sell soon everyone will realise how poo poo the series really is and they'll be worthless.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tea Bone posted:

So guys, I have some special editions of the series which are going for around £2,000 on eBay. Is now a good time to sell or should I hold onto them a bit longer? I'm scared if I don't sell soon everyone will realise how poo poo the series really is and they'll be worthless.

You are clearly a shrewd investor. Because of this, I'll offer you a steep discount on a signed copy of TB Threads "Game of Bones".

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

I'd hold on to them for a bit. Should the author suddenly ... um ... stop writing the books ... they probably go up in value.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You have to remember, a lot of these guys started reading these books when they were in high school. They were fresh faced teenagers just starting to show signs of neck beard stubble. Now they're pushing 40 and they're still waiting for GRRM to finish the story they invested themselves in. They've probably read the same five books 10 to 15 times already. If they haven't they've forgotten most of the minor plot points and hundreds of characters GRRM introduced and just don't give a poo poo anymore. They don't care about the slew of mysteries and the dangling plot threads and the almost decade long cliffhanger that the last book ended on anymore. They're jaded and have been burned too many times by GRRM already.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Who saddens the sadders? The saddest.

EDIT:

Gianthogweed posted:

You have to remember, a lot of these guys started reading these books when they were in high school. They were fresh faced teenagers just starting to show signs of neck beard stubble. Now they're pushing 40 and they're still waiting for GRRM to finish the story they invested themselves in. They've probably read the same five books 10 to 15 times already. If they haven't they've forgotten most of the minor plot points and hundreds of characters GRRM introduced and just don't give a poo poo anymore. They don't care about the slew of mysteries and the dangling plot threads and the almost decade long cliffhanger that the last book ended on anymore. They're jaded and have been burned too many times by GRRM already.

Who the gently caress is GRRM.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 11, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have a quick question...was Thoros sacrificing people to bring Dondarion back to life? Because if not then that's just another thing Mel sucks at.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have a quick question...was Thoros sacrificing people to bring Dondarion back to life? Because if not then that's just another thing Mel sucks at.

That might also be why the regeneration magic started petering out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Turns out when you spend all your time saying retarded things and being a retarded person people come to think you're a retard whenever you open your dumbfuck mouth.

Shageletic posted:

Who the gently caress is GRRM.

Scholarly theories range from a portly man in an ugly sailor hat who gropes young girls at nerd conventions to a pear-shaped cryptozoological oddity that subsumes pretty young women in dank apartment basements. We're waiting on the carbon dating from some samples.

kcroy posted:

Thanks. The irony of course being that we ALL smell of piss and danyberries in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate some solid trolling. But c'mon already - if that is your goal you gotta step up the game, or gtfo.You wanna troll this thread? Get it shut down, and get the mods to wrap it into the Show discussion thread. Then you can go "u mad lol", because I legitimately would be.

P. much. Acting like I was baited because I shut his weaksauce attempt to troll the gently caress down without blinking using logic that's been running in this thread for years is loving weak.

quote:

And yet, here you are?

There's always that one retard who thinks he's an anthropologist-cum-Kauffman.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Solice Kirsk posted:

No, he just gave a dead Beric the ceremonial 'kiss of fire' which is part of the traditional burial ceremony for r'hllor followers and he was super surprised when Beric all of a sudden returned to life.

Thoros hasn't sacrificed anyone to the red god.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Why does it never occur to Dany she could make more dragons? Just learn from Illyrio where he got the eggs from and the rest is pretty simple. And it's one human for up to three dragons, sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

See, that's what I thought. So why the hell is Shireen gonna need to be burned to bring Stannis or Jon back? Maybe a distance thing? I'd say maybe gurm didn't think it through, but that doesn't sound like him. Like at all.