Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Are there any airship mods that would be recommended for minimal modding?
Any simple RPG mods? We use to use MCMMO for Buckit but it looks like it's not supported anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
What the hell disables commands in blightfall? I'm getting sick of clipping into whatever the hell it is when I teleport around and having to port back and forth like 6 times to land correctly. I just want to flip on creative for a second to fix my landing for christsake.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Synnr posted:

What the hell disables commands in blightfall? I'm getting sick of clipping into whatever the hell it is when I teleport around and having to port back and forth like 6 times to land correctly. I just want to flip on creative for a second to fix my landing for christsake.

Apparently the world defaults to allowCheats=0 in the level.dat file. You need something like NBTExplorer to edit that file and toggle that to 1 to get it working. Some other posters say Open to LAN in the escape menu works too I guess? I didn't try it.

I'd post more details but work proxy keeps me from linking anything useful anyway, sorry. :(

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Any chance we'll have a server download for OMP-i 2.5.0 soon, or at least an update to the changelog that covers the past few updates?

edit: well never mind I suppose, my server admin went ahead and got us updated anyway. I see Twilight Forest is gone and Mekanism is in, interesting.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 11, 2015

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Ciaphas posted:

I'm up to the point where I can mine gold in Blightfall, finally. Took like an hour to find the green alien ore, then the not-copper, and even then I only found like four ore each of the damned things. Ended up cheating one of each in so I could get a full block out of the smeltery drain.

Is Blightfall always going to be a fight for resources like this or is there--eventually--the usual Minecraft post-scarcity to reach toward?

(Also, now that I can make casts, what's my next goal after getting my tools as upgraded as I can?)

One thing you could do is to get cracking on Thaumcraft so you can make some taint busting tools, there's a wand focus that's designed to clean away taint for starters and you can get infusion recipies for all sorts of nifty little things, such as wither skulls and extra silverwood saplings and so on.

As for the ores, pretty sure the geologist gives you the Y levels for each ore after you've done the scout mission for that biome so if you branch mine at around that depth you should find all the ore you need, you should check the 'materials and you' books for mining ideas but at your current pace I would try and find magnesium in one of the biomes so you can make steel.

Alternatively if you're just gonna cheat stuff in you might as well go hog wild and cheat yourself full awakened ichorium robes and tools. :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress you Dad I'll cheat when and how I please :colbert::colbert:

Actually I might stop on Blightfall and wait for the big new release before I get too far. Might try Regrowth instead, that seemed to have a lot of traction in the old thread. Fun HQM pack?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody see any reason to actually post an update to Baby's First Space Race? I've been mostly sitting on the big, red button. I just felt I should make sure most of the quests still work. Some of my concerns stem from what I've seen in omp-i since it also took the latest of everything. The Forge loading bug particularly worried me since I'm most likely to have users that will stare at the Mojang loading screen since they're probably coming from vanilla Minecraft.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks. But it still has the problem of requiring energy bursts per teleport.

I guess my problem is more to do with the fact mod makers seem to think there has to be a huge cost/penalty for fast and easy transport whereas I feel like the lack of an easy way to go to or from locations really discourages exploration.

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.

I'll get right on it :)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody see any reason to actually post an update to Baby's First Space Race? I've been mostly sitting on the big, red button. I just felt I should make sure most of the quests still work. Some of my concerns stem from what I've seen in omp-i since it also took the latest of everything. The Forge loading bug particularly worried me since I'm most likely to have users that will stare at the Mojang loading screen since they're probably coming from vanilla Minecraft.

We've used Forge 1307, 1408, 1420, and 1428 in various releases for Modderation: Permabanned and have not seen this loading bug that others mention, at least that I've heard about or recall, unless using CoFHTweaks; FastCraft seems to continue working fine.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

I'll get right on it :)

seriously i already had thoughts about it,
It will be a frame that you have special colored buttons on to select the different destinations (still trying to determine how to fully do this without needing a complex gui - colored wool blocks like enderchests will not work as what if someone else chooses the same code ? I have an idea but it will be fleshed out as I go along.

First each Teleport Frame Block will have to be made (and it will not be cheap)

Heisenberg Compensator = An Emerald surrounded by ghast tears in the corner and diamonds in the centers

Zero point module = Heisenberg compensators round a Nether Star

Pattern Buffer = Diamonds round a ZPM (this has the 3 wool blocks for the address)

Teleport Block ZPM middle Heisenberg Compensator Bottom middle Surrounded by wool

Teleport Blocks can be dyed by dyes to allow coding.

so make a frame with 16 blocks and buttons on each block. to activate dial the 3 color code for your destination

or you can just make a 3 wide 4 high block and use that as the smallest (less available codes 9 codes rather than 16)
when you dial the center activates loading the world/chunk the destination is in, and then if i can work out how to do it - shows you the view out of the portal at the other side
(that will be the technically hard bit - i mean portal had to custom write that part of their system

Thoughts?

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 11, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm waiting for the update... So press the button please!

I enjoy the huge amount of resources and how "easy" things are. Feels more relaxed.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

TheresaJayne posted:

seriously i already had thoughts about it,
It will be a frame that you have special colored buttons on to select the different destinations (still trying to determine how to fully do this without needing a complex gui - colored wool blocks like enderchests will not work as what if someone else chooses the same code ? I have an idea but it will be fleshed out as I go along.

First each Teleport Frame Block will have to be made (and it will not be cheap)

Heisenberg Compensator = An Emerald surrounded by ghast tears in the corner and diamonds in the centers

Zero point module = Heisenberg compensators round a Nether Star

Pattern Buffer = Diamonds round a ZPM (this has the 3 wool blocks for the address)

Teleport Block ZPM middle Heisenberg Compensator Bottom middle Surrounded by wool

Teleport Blocks can be dyed by dyes to allow coding.

so make a frame with 16 blocks and buttons on each block. to activate dial the 3 color code for your destination

or you can just make a 3 wide 4 high block and use that as the smallest (less available codes 9 codes rather than 16)
when you dial the center activates loading the world/chunk the destination is in, and then if i can work out how to do it - shows you the view out of the portal at the other side
(that will be the technically hard bit - i mean portal had to custom write that part of their system

Thoughts?

Seems way to expensive if you need 16 nether stars, 64 emeralds and 64 diamonds to make a teleporter...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

Seems way to expensive if you need 16 nether stars, 64 emeralds and 64 diamonds to make a teleporter...

Ok how about the frame blocks are HC's surrounded by wool so that would be 16 emeralds, 64 diamonds, 64 ghast tears, 64 wool

that is if you make the 16 color
9 emeralds, 36 diamonds, 36 ghast tears if you make the smallest one Plus the Pattern Buffer (controller)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Why does it have to require stacks of emeralds, diamonds, tears, etc? Why not just an ender pearl or two for the TP block and then a pattern of metal blocks or w/e around it to create the key for pairing it with another?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

TheresaJayne posted:

Ok how about the frame blocks are HC's surrounded by wool so that would be 16 emeralds, 64 diamonds, 64 ghast tears, 64 wool

9 emeralds, 36 diamonds, 36 ghast tears if you make the smallest one Plus the Pattern Buffer (controller)

You like Gregtech, don't you?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Please also make sure that you need to place it and let it attune for one real time year, if you log off, move near it, look at it, look away from it or exist it explodes, destroys your world, corrupts your entire HDD after loading it with cp and calling the cops.

I mean, gotta balance being able to *gasp* traverse distances.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Use warp books guys, really. They're great.

RF Tools teleporting is pretty OK too.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Please also make sure that you need to place it and let it attune for one real time year, if you log off, move near it, look at it, look away from it or exist it explodes, destroys your world, corrupts your entire HDD after loading it with cp and calling the cops.

I mean, gotta balance being able to *gasp* traverse distances.

I hate gregtech but with only 16 ^3 combinations and some people using more than one it needs to be expensive

Maybe the first thought was too expensive
the idea is that you have multiple blocks that are used, based on Star Trek Tech you should have a power source, pattern buffer, heisenberg compensator.

The recipies can be tweaked.

The idea is a frame with colors that you attach buttons to, activate in the correct order (button on the controller to reset)

so, activation would be Red Red Green, Portal opens, walk through Portal disables or push reset to turn off
or times out after a minute (to stop people using them to load chunks)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
For a simple color-coded Ender Chest-style teleporter, why not just make it work like Colorful Portals does - if there are more than two of the same code, they get put into a "cycle" based on when they were activated, and when you use one you get sent to the next in the cycle. (1 > 2 > 3 > 1) There doesn't need to be a base station and it doesn't need to be ridiculously expensive.

Alternately, just use Colorful Portals, which has single-block teleporters in addition to the portals.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I hate gregtech but with only 16 ^3 combinations and some people using more than one it needs to be expensive

Maybe the first thought was too expensive
the idea is that you have multiple blocks that are used, based on Star Trek Tech you should have a power source, pattern buffer, heisenberg compensator.

The recipies can be tweaked.

The idea is a frame with colors that you attach buttons to, activate in the correct order (button on the controller to reset)

so, activation would be Red Red Green, Portal opens, walk through Portal disables or push reset to turn off
or times out after a minute (to stop people using them to load chunks)

Portals are chunkloaders because that's how portals know where the destination is. Unless your design includes inputting what XYZ coordinates the receiving end is at, you're going to have to make them chunkload.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Portals are chunkloaders because that's how portals know where the destination is. Unless your design includes inputting what XYZ coordinates the receiving end is at, you're going to have to make them chunkload.

The idea would be to store the portal locations and addresses (colors) in World. NBT data - the inter dimension stuff i will have to work on as well.
but then when activated, it will get the worldNBT data to get the destination and load the chunk then

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

The idea would be to store the portal locations and addresses (colors) in World. NBT data - the inter dimension stuff i will have to work on as well.
but then when activated, it will get the worldNBT data to get the destination and load the chunk then

How does it know where the destination is the first time? If you're building two portals, you won't be near one of them when you first activate them. It will HAVE TO chunkload both of them at some point, even if it's only once. In that case, upon first constructing a portal it would start chunkloading and would keep doing so until the destination portal is built, at which point they could link up. You'd have to put a timer on it to prevent people from just building a single portal to chunkload, which could be exploited if it's too long and annoying if it's too short.

Oh, also, if the destination isn't loaded, you risk falling through the world.

Generally this issue is solved by not giving a poo poo about people using portals to chunkload.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Is there some trick to finding dungeons? I've been playing FTB Infinity and after over two hours of exclusively searching for a dungeon I've come up empty.

Edit: On the teleporter discussion:

As I mentioned, I'm fine with an initial expensive outlay without ongoing costs, but the stuff that's been mentioned so far seems a little to steep to me.

I like the idea of a single portal costing maybe a single emerald, 16 ender pearls, and 20 diamonds. Something like that. It will allow you to build a network of teleporters once you're established but is still pretty prohibitive when you're in the early stages.

As for the configuration of the teleporter and it's "parts" in physical space when it's built - I'm a fan of it being a simple block that doesn't require power. Just plonk it down, tune it, and stand on it, right-click to open a list of destinations and choose where to go. If not requiring power seems OP, then have the crafting order for the teleoprter go: Basic mats: Uncharged Teleporter Frame > Teleporter, so that to turn the uncharged fram into a functional teleporter you have to charge it with x (a large amount) of RF. That way there's still an energy cost but you don't have to set up power stations everywhere. It would also set it apart from that mods that do.

As for how you "tune" them to each other, is there any reason it couldn't be done the same way tesseracts are done? It works well for tesseracts in that you can number and name channels, as well as make them public or private. Seems perfect for a teleport network.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 11, 2015

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Apparently the world defaults to allowCheats=0 in the level.dat file. You need something like NBTExplorer to edit that file and toggle that to 1 to get it working. Some other posters say Open to LAN in the escape menu works too I guess? I didn't try it.

I'd post more details but work proxy keeps me from linking anything useful anyway, sorry. :(

Ah thank you! I was looking at NBTExplorer but I wasn't sure what oddities might come out of the technic launcher if I did that, but flopping over to LAN mode allowed it.

Hopefully I won't need it, but getting rubberbanded up the summit repeatedly will probably happen AGAIN.

e; holy poo poo I havent used thaumcraft since like its first iteration what the gently caress is this research minigame. Is it just all jacked up in blightfall or is it always this bad? I cant even understand what its telling me I need to research to scan junk.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 11, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a quick/easy way to change the biome of an area, with Biomes O'Plenty support?

Edit: to clarify, in singleplayer.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 11, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress you Dad I'll cheat when and how I please :colbert::colbert:

Actually I might stop on Blightfall and wait for the big new release before I get too far. Might try Regrowth instead, that seemed to have a lot of traction in the old thread. Fun HQM pack?

Regrowth is also due a big update in the next few weeks :) There's plenty of content but it sort of peters out towards the end.

It's not a bad mod pack if you're into sitting in one place slowly building your base and never leaving it. You will learn to hate the botania runes though. Holy poo poo are those things a pain in the rear end.

Oh, and Applied Energistics is the very last mod you unlock. Because of course it loving is.

GotLag posted:

Is there a quick/easy way to change the biome of an area, with Biomes O'Plenty support?

Edit: to clarify, in singleplayer.

Not sure what counts as quick/easy, but Witchery, Mariculture and Thaumcraft (among others) all have biome-changing tools. Witchery is probably the easiest to get to, and it affects a large area. Alternatively if you just want a small liveable area carved out of a hostile biome you could try planting a silverwood.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also advanced tech is gated in a huge way because making titanium is a right pain in the rear and even magical crops won't make it better. Nothing like having to melt down limestone in a mariculture smelter that requires fuel to maintain temperatures and doesn't do any sort of neat thing like Railcraft to use less fuel when maxed out to get magnesium and re-process impure titanium with it. It's sort of why I've lost interest (also powered Mariculture hatcheries are terrible).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wolfsbane posted:

Not sure what counts as quick/easy, but Witchery, Mariculture and Thaumcraft (among others) all have biome-changing tools. Witchery is probably the easiest to get to, and it affects a large area. Alternatively if you just want a small liveable area carved out of a hostile biome you could try planting a silverwood.

Oh yeah, forgot the silverwood thing. Thanks.

Is there a way to get SSP to not pause when tabbed out?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you run it in window, just bring up your inventory or something. That'll give you a mouse cursor you can use to click elsewhere, and the game will keep running.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

GotLag posted:

Is there a way to get SSP to not pause when tabbed out?
F3+P

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

MechaCrash posted:

If you run it in window, just bring up your inventory or something. That'll give you a mouse cursor you can use to click elsewhere, and the game will keep running.

Thanks, I completely forgot this trick.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

Regrowth is also due a big update in the next few weeks :) There's plenty of content but it sort of peters out towards the end.

It's not a bad mod pack if you're into sitting in one place slowly building your base and never leaving it. You will learn to hate the botania runes though. Holy poo poo are those things a pain in the rear end.

Oh, and Applied Energistics is the very last mod you unlock. Because of course it loving is.

Sounds good to me. I'm not really into exploration or wandering around in Minecraft, really--building toys and automation are much more my bag. Probably why I was obsessed with Agrarian Skies a while back. :)

(edit)
Ooh, there's an AS2. Maybe I'll play that instead, especially since...

Sage Grimm posted:

Also advanced tech is gated in a huge way because making titanium is a right pain in the rear and even magical crops won't make it better. Nothing like having to melt down limestone in a mariculture smelter that requires fuel to maintain temperatures and doesn't do any sort of neat thing like Railcraft to use less fuel when maxed out to get magnesium and re-process impure titanium with it. It's sort of why I've lost interest (also powered Mariculture hatcheries are terrible).

hsss mariculture :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If you're a fan of infinite materials Regrowth will get you there pretty quickly. Thaumcraft golems are your friends (figuratively and literally).

Sage Grimm posted:

:ssh: Infernal Furnace :ssh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Augh, I've ignored Thaumcraft in favour of other magical mods because I've gone through it enough times. I might kick around in Regrowth for a little while longer, I guess.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder if there's a way in game or through some sort of console/editor chicanery to give your character all of the thaumometer results of all available blocks in the game automatically. I realized earlier that /tc aspect would let me skip the stupid research thing, if I turn it onto "easy" research, but then I'd need to scan items for melting for essentia anyway.

Well, besides referring to a wiki list of items :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 11, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

You can melt the limestone in a smeltery and just pour it out directly into a vat.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anything that adds crazy/weird terrain gen? I'm bored and want to play something weird.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Reason posted:

Is there anything that adds crazy/weird terrain gen? I'm bored and want to play something weird.

With RFTools you can make spherical island dimensions surrounded by The Void, a world where the only liquid is Resonant Ender (want to explore? Go swimming!), and other such fun shenanigans.

Or you might be looking for Alternate Terrain Generation, which is customizable, but does a much better (subjective) job than Minecraft's built-in terrain generator.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions, I did find one called Fun World Generation that added sky balls that were neat, but left everything else ocean which was boring. I essentially just want CRAZY poo poo, like maybe one biome of sky balls and floating mountains and just all sorts of weird poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Regrowth is neat so far. Up to the point where I'm trying to make 10/10/10 skeleton seeds, and already have 10/10/10 essence seeds. Man those go fast. Analyzing the individual seeds is kind of a pain in the butt, though.

Ironic that bonemealing skeleton seeds doesn't seem to work. :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2015