Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Made a PGS thread for server 40 so we can discuss base stuff and what have you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725285

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

By "low pop" I ment on any given hour there is 20+ people on the server and on the weekend we saw 50. I don't know how many goons are playing this but there is plenty of slots here and the server runs loving great.

I don't know what this "no pvp on private servers" poo poo is because most/all have pvp enabled.

So the arguement points are this

Play on Offical Server:
- Terrible Ping
- Terrible Performance
- Overpopulation. You always have to wait for a slot to get in.
- poo poo scattered all over the beaches. Most abandoned.
- Lots of people to fight.
- Fights cause super rubberbanding

Play on Dedicated Non-Offical Server:
- Great Ping
- Great Performance
- Stable Population
- Smaller tribes of people
- Fights don't cause a performance spike.

So my question which is the question we were all asking day one of the EA launch. Why don't we all play on a real dedicated server?

With follow up questions like:
How many goons we got playing this game?
Is it enough that we could host our own server and all play on it against one another?
How many of you goons are unable to play on the official server but can on a Private due to performance?

I know that the CSGO goons are playing in a small group on another official server, I know you people are mostly in O40, I know another pile of goons playing scattered all over the net. This is what happens when the goddam launch was a loving server shitstorm that everyone wanting to play couldn't get into a server and then got scattered to the wind looking for literally anything to play on and then got settled and called it home.

If this Friday patch fixes the issues I am having on O40 then I would give it another shot but I doubt it will and as it stands too many of us are scattered all over the place and unable to connect or play this loving dino game for many reasons. We should have this conversation before the game has been out for a week and everyone sets down super roots and never wants to leave their poo poo. The leveling process is much easier when every loving cave in the map isn't locked down by multiple groups of people and you can figure out how to kill Sharks (Which is how I mainly level, Caves and sharks are big xp farms)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is the PGS server but no one is on it. I tooled around for a couple hours but didn't notice and huge improvement. On PGS and 40 I still get 100+ ping and 40 FPS max.
It would be nice if a private server could get off the ground but EA populations are lovely at best.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Drinkfist posted:

So my question which is the question we were all asking day one of the EA launch. Why don't we all play on a real dedicated server?

No one wants to give up the progress they've made, especially the people that already poopsocked to 60. Most people also don't seem super-bothered by the rubber banding.

quote:

A lot.

quote:

Is it enough that we could host our own server and all play on it against one another?

A goon is already hosting a server, but it generally seems to end up being the case that goon-run servers fall apart (for varying reasons, but the ultimate result is always the same). Convincing goons to play against one another will almost certainly not happen.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
If you knock out a player that leveled up and hasn't spent his points, you can allocate stats for them!

goty

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

lewtt posted:

If you knock out a player that leveled up and hasn't spent his points, you can allocate stats for them!

goty

whaaaaaat
I saw you could do that for dinos but this is great.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

89 posted:

Compatible with a 360 controller?
Yes! I use one myself. Also the controller layout doesn't mention this, but you can sprint by holding the left analog down and crouch with the right.

Drinkfist posted:

How many goons we got playing this game? Is it enough that we could host our own server and all play on it against one another?
No

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I thought the airdrop system was only going to reward higher level players, but it really rewards people who are wandering instead of staying near a base. We can never keep a base up, but I've received metal tools 3 times in 2 days from those drops. Had a metal pike tonight which I used to ambush a couple of bird-riders who were picking people up and dropping them. I killed the bird first just to make sure revenge was exacted, but then killed the rider who was busy switching armors that he was trying to steal from one of his victims. As long as you have some levels under your belt you can come back to the game, respawn, and still get poo poo done within a night.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I spawned in today went to cook some meat. As I did so, a guy rode up on a scorp and tranquilized me. He stole all my stuff, then poo poo on me. Then he got on his scorpion, and it poo poo on me. Then he rode away.

I was dying laughing the whole time so I missed his name so I can't make it my mission in live to hunt him down.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

No one wants to give up the progress they've made, especially the people that already poopsocked to 60. Most people also don't seem super-bothered by the rubber banding.

You can transfer your character, some gear, and I think one dino(don't quote me) with you.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Why am i so good at finding poo poo that breaks my game?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Gamesguy posted:

You can transfer your character, some gear, and I think one dino(don't quote me) with you.

People keep talking about this transfer thing, but no one has ever (to my knowledge) actually said anything particularly specific about it. The main thing I keep hearing is that it's disabled on the official servers, and since we're on an official server, that sounds like a problem. It might be a way to convince people to branch out, but everyone will need more details first, I think.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Efexeye posted:

I spawned in today went to cook some meat. As I did so, a guy rode up on a scorp and tranquilized me. He stole all my stuff, then poo poo on me. Then he got on his scorpion, and it poo poo on me. Then he rode away.

I was dying laughing the whole time so I missed his name so I can't make it my mission in live to hunt him down.

I think I might have met that dude.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

People keep talking about this transfer thing, but no one has ever (to my knowledge) actually said anything particularly specific about it. The main thing I keep hearing is that it's disabled on the official servers, and since we're on an official server, that sounds like a problem. It might be a way to convince people to branch out, but everyone will need more details first, I think.

You go to one of the three obelisks in the game. You use the altar under it. You get the option to summon the boss, upload a character and upload a dino. I have never done the upload a dino. If you upload your player you are prompted that you lose all gear and the character on that server will be deleted. When you go to another sever that allows downloads you can then in the character creation window select from a list of uploaded characters and then spawn as one of them in the server. The only thing you retain from the transfer is your levels, stats, and learned bps.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Efexeye posted:

This post convinced me I need to play this game

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Downloading is currently disabled on official servers, but uploading is enabled.

As the poster above me said, you just go to an obelisk and go through the process. Then when you're on a private server that enabled downloads(pretty much all of them) you hit download character instead of create new character.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can you still enslave people? Can we build a goon dungeon and harvest limbs for food?

futile
May 18, 2009

Drinkfist posted:

There are a lot of goons playing the game scattered across all the servers. I and quite a few others wanted to play on server 40 hoping a bunch of tribes of goons would be battling each other. Unfortunately it ended up being one massive goon rush tribe so we deleted our chars and switched servers.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

futile posted:

There are a lot of goons playing the game scattered across all the servers. I and quite a few others wanted to play on server 40 hoping a bunch of tribes of goons would be battling each other. Unfortunately it ended up being one massive goon rush tribe so we deleted our chars and switched servers.

Yeah I got six goons in the Texaswastelands.com server. I knew we were scattered but I don't understand the goonball deal where most goons don't approve of goon on goon violence. It was my understanding that it is the best kind of violence. A stranger will break into your house and steal all your poo poo. A goon will accidentally fall into your house and fill the boxes up with their poo, then attempt to paint the walls pink, then get bored and attempt to wrestle a indoor dodo pet and die. Sometimes there is a rare occasion where a goon will actually put hours of effort into gathering everything needed to raid a house and then after all the effort and blown out doors and walls smashed discover that the backdoor was open and the house was abandoned.

Incompetence is our loving hallmark. Thats why I wanted everyone on the same server. So we can be terrible together ... against each other.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

futile posted:

Good news and bad news. The good news is that there are indeed a ton of tribes duking it out with goons. We're doing tons of raids and defending from some hilariously pissy pubbies.

The bad news is that it's us against the pubbie hordes and you didn't stick around to see it. :colbert:

Edit: Also that terrifying non-euclidean pipe network a goon literally spent 12-15 hours building non stop could only be accomplished by the effort of a huge goon group. That thing is loving nerve wracking to maneuver around. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 11, 2015

futile
May 18, 2009
Yeah I understand the appeal of large goon groups accomplishing things but in a game where there's a 70 player max, goonrushing is kind of detrimental.

Pretty much agree with drinkfist that goon on goon violence is some of the most fun in any game.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Archonex posted:

Edit: Also that terrifying non-euclidean pipe network a goon literally spent 12-15 hours building non stop could only be accomplished by the effort of a huge goon group. That thing is loving nerve wracking to maneuver around. :stonk:

Please don't break it. I may have time due to unemployment but the likelihood I could fix it again after building that monstrosity is like 5%.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Also worth mentioning. The fact that we are a zerg do not mean that its a cakewalk. Higher lvled smaller tribes will gently caress us up, and have on several occations. We got properly hosed.

At the same time, since we are so many in different timezones, its a hell of alot faster to rebuild.

And the mentioned clueless goon is also in the tribe, and have several times cost us shitloads by loving up.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Picer posted:

Also worth mentioning. The fact that we are a zerg do not mean that its a cakewalk. Higher lvled smaller tribes will gently caress us up, and have on several occations. We got properly hosed.

At the same time, since we are so many in different timezones, its a hell of alot faster to rebuild.

And the mentioned clueless goon is also in the tribe, and have several times cost us shitloads by loving up.

This is 100% true. A large tribe is more of a detriment than anything unless you have people that span 24 hour time periods or said large tribe has been gaming together for a long time and aren't a bunch of rando rambos. It's not unheard of to begin a large project, say fortifying a base where you farm up a very large amount of materials such as iron and chitin only to come back to god knows what. This is particularly frustrating with Metal and above mats because cement paste is still sort of a choke point. I'm sure the dragonflies being added will help this, I hope.

And farming is boring as gently caress, thus hardly anyone wants to do it. Understandable. I personally enjoy it and will just run out and fart about while watching/listening to something on a 2nd monitor. Seeing that crazy pipe system finished was very satisfying.

I have had a ton of fun playing with Server 40 Goons. We have lost many bases to timezone raids and just laughed about it the next day only to rebuild ten times as strong. Our current base is amazing as gently caress but even it will eventually fall. When the game gets fixed with all the rubber banding and poo poo, everyone will have to learn how to play again. That will be hilarious as dino base guardians will be the poo poo.

The morale of the story I guess is don't be afraid to be a crafting bitch to someone. You still get exp by harvesting. Even if you're out hunting like a boss with your raptor, drop your chitin and keratin off near your local mortar and pestle.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Improving crafting speed is confirmed as useless, right? It doesn't secretly reduce required materials or anything? Hell, has anyone even bothered to try picking it as an upgrade?

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Improving crafting speed is confirmed as useless, right? It doesn't secretly reduce required materials or anything? Hell, has anyone even bothered to try picking it as an upgrade?

Devs themselves said it's only useful if you're doing some sort of single player infinite resource lego poo poo.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

orangelex44 posted:

Even if just one point gave me 50% reduced craftingspeed i still wouldn't do it. The craftingtime isn't the problem/bottleneck with crafting.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
ARK: Survival Evolved - I learned how to make some pants just in time to poo poo in them

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Anyone load into the game with ridiculously high sensitivity and can't fix it?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Finding these underwater cave entrances is a real pain in the arse with so many megalodons tailing me constantly. They really, REALLY don't want people getting to them easily.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

No one wants to give up the progress they've made, especially the people that already poopsocked to 60.

I'm guessing there will be wipes at some points as they implement some big leveling changes, and especially at the end before launch. I'd be up for rerolling, but server 40 was full. I want to test the viability of a character with tons of health, movement, and melee damage that just uses fists/spears to punch/stab things to death.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

DrSeRRoD posted:

I'm guessing there will be wipes at some points as they implement some big leveling changes, and especially at the end before launch. I'd be up for rerolling, but server 40 was full. I want to test the viability of a character with tons of health, movement, and melee damage that just uses fists/spears to punch/stab things to death.

I can vouch for movespeed being a good investment, I have mine at 132% and I can escape from almost everything easily. Makes travelling much less dangerous since I can just sprint away from the carno/rex, and I can run down anyone on foot which is a big advantage in PvP. You need to increase stamina though otherwise you end up draining it too quickly.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I feel like there needs to be more ways to protect your mounts. Right now investing the time to get anything that can't fight back against a Carnotaurus seems pointless, because those guys can just charge in and destroy your pet. I figured my parasaurus could at least outrun one if it came along but nope, it's too fast. So putting in the time and effort to tame one is just not a good idea.

Can trikes and stegos handle carnotaurs? At what point do you get gear that makes protecting the weaker mounts against the stronger threats viable? I'm assuming that brontosauruses can handle them.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Viridiant posted:

I feel like there needs to be more ways to protect your mounts. Right now investing the time to get anything that can't fight back against a Carnotaurus seems pointless, because those guys can just charge in and destroy your pet. I figured my parasaurus could at least outrun one if it came along but nope, it's too fast. So putting in the time and effort to tame one is just not a good idea.

Can trikes and stegos handle carnotaurs? At what point do you get gear that makes protecting the weaker mounts against the stronger threats viable? I'm assuming that brontosauruses can handle them.

What I'm hoping is that dinos have a secondary ability that players just can't access yet like the scorp/T Rex grab or the Trike charge. Don't know if that will fix anything or just create one giant game of rock paper scissors with dinosaurs.

Also dinos will be way way more dangerous when the servers aren't rubber banding like they are now.

I did get swarmed by a dude riding a scorpion with a pack of Dilos in tow. That poo poo sucked.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I guess I could eventually get one or two raptor bodyguards to help protect my mounts, speaking of swarms.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Viridiant posted:

A single ankylosaur will gently caress up almost anything short of a rex. They hit loving hard and have a billion HP. Slow as balls, though. God help you if a rex shows up, but that's the case no matter what. Stegos are pretty good at being defensive vs wild things too. A couple of guard dilos can take on a lot of stuff too. Once you level them up a bit to be less squishy they'll last pretty well vs carnos 2v1 without much attrition. They are quick to tame so it's not like attrition is too much of a problem though.

Also make a fence to at least make it slightly more difficult for the wild critters to get in. Don't set your squishy herbivores to be aggressive, then they will smush their faces through the fencing to glare at carnos and the carnos will bite them through it. Neutral means they will fight back if attacked / an ally is attacked, passive means they will sit there and watch as your face gets eaten off. Don't park your paras next to the fence where something can clip its face through and damage them, make them sit more towards the center. If you set your stuff to all be neutral it should work fairly well. If something manages to get in and attack something then it should get bumrushed by everything in your paddock. Paras actually do a decent bit of damage, they just are squishy for their delicious size.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 11, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was killing Carnos all day with my Raptor. Get a Raptor, seriously. If you're new enough to the game that you haven't had a Raptor yet.. make it a priority.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Viridiant posted:

I guess I could eventually get one or two raptor bodyguards to help protect my mounts, speaking of swarms.

Dilo swarms. When we attacked that base last night in the SW quadrent they had a pack of like 8 of those fuckers all in the teen levels. Holy hell was that scary. just because Randy couldn't get solid hits in on them with them swarming his legs. Then a bronto stepped on randy and I was sad and built pipes for like 10 hours.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Tony Montana posted:

I was killing Carnos all day with my Raptor. Get a Raptor, seriously. If you're new enough to the game that you haven't had a Raptor yet.. make it a priority.

Roughly how much meat did you use in the process of taming the raptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

Don't they require a ton of resources to tame (comparing to say, a dilo or dodo)? Someone in the game chat told me about 40 narcotics and 60 meats. Seems like you will need to tame a (few?) dilo(s), tons of meat and narcotics, and then you can tame a raptor successfully. I think I am up to about 7 narcotics after 2 days of low play time so seems like it might take quite a while for us casulols.