Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's pretty standard these days. Our 4Runner has one and most BMWs do as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The BMW ones love to explode and of course the aftermarket solution is a metal one

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
FRP coolant parts are the worst thing ever.

It sure looks like that head gasket got cooked bad. At least 1.8s aren't really hard to find.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
1uz-fe's have a plastic thermostat housing. It's a wear item and needs to be replaced every x thousand miles. Not sure why as all other engine coolant fittings are aluminium. Thankfully it's a 30 second swap (just like the starter motor).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think my favorite Toyota cooling system contraption is the 3VZ-E water neck.

Yeah so it has a timing belt idler pulley MOUNTED AROUND IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Note the two tiny fasteners (they use a threaded stud and a nut, too) that go into it to hold the next piece on. Those would never ever seize into a cast part and snap off, necessitating replacement of the water neck, necessitating loving with the timing over what started as a simple cooling system repair, now would they? :allears:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I like how it's an idler and not even the water pump (which looks to be mounted right below it)

I had to change a cam sprocket on a 1uz the other days. Yes, days.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

MrYenko posted:

Plastic coolant fittings are pretty much the worst thing ever. I had a friend who asked me to take a look at her Daewoo once, it was puking coolant. Turns out the ENTIRE THERMOSTAT HOUSING was plastic. Essentially guaranteed to fail every 30k miles or so.

That's what you get for buying a Daewoo, I guess.

Alfa went through a period with the 156 where they were using water pumps with plastic impellers that worked about as well as you expect. The fix was to replace it with the later metal waterpump next belt change. That for the 5 pot TDI came to about $1500.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

revmoo posted:

That's pretty standard these days. Our 4Runner has one and most BMWs do as well.

Correct. Since MINI is made by BMW, they have a nice little thermostat housing with built in thermostat, all plastic that's been termed 'the jarvik'.

Fails right after warranty expires and lets you know by pooling coolant on top of the transmission. Note: minis also do not come with coolant temperature gages.

Behold!

And where it lives:

I'm patiently waiting for the next 22,000 miles when the one in my wife's Mini takes a poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh, that's way worse (and more appropriately named) than the Land Rover D2/P38 external thermostat that was dubbed the same:

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

BloodBag posted:

Correct. Since MINI is made by BMW, they have a nice little thermostat housing with built in thermostat, all plastic that's been termed 'the jarvik'.

Fails right after warranty expires and lets you know by pooling coolant on top of the transmission. Note: minis also do not come with coolant temperature gages.

Behold!

And where it lives:

I'm patiently waiting for the next 22,000 miles when the one in my wife's Mini takes a poo poo.

What in the actual gently caress? I count at least five hose barbs?

Wonder_Bread fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ah yes fritz ve vill run ze coolant trou de plastics it iz lighter weight

ya haans dab ist wunderbar, ve vill altso run ze coolan trou das EE GGEEE ARRRR servo on ze sprinters to cool dem!

Fritz ze volkswagen have alrety beat us to cooled lights ve must catch up!

mich efficiency

das lighter material

erstaunlich

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

Behold!

And where it lives:

I like the oil line on top of the turbo in the cooper S that you can literally touch and crack loose with a box end in 2 seconds flat and the other end is bolted to the side of the block requiring g you to pull the exhaust manifold after removing the front end

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

Fritz ze volkswagen have alrety beat us to cooled lights ve must catch up!

mich efficiency

das lighter material

erstaunlich

:golfclap:

Here's what happens when das Amerikaners take a page out of the Germans' book and decide to introduce a cooled fuel system by refusing to install a $1 water/fuel separator into their diesel car.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

BloodBag posted:

Behold!

And where it lives:

I can confirm that these are about as fun to replace as you'd imagine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This thread always makes me happy I opted for the 100k mile warranty on my car, and also why I spend the extra money to buy new every few years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I think my favorite Toyota cooling system contraption is the 3VZ-E water neck.

Yeah so it has a timing belt idler pulley MOUNTED AROUND IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Note the two tiny fasteners (they use a threaded stud and a nut, too) that go into it to hold the next piece on. Those would never ever seize into a cast part and snap off, necessitating replacement of the water neck, necessitating loving with the timing over what started as a simple cooling system repair, now would they? :allears:

The 3VZ is one of the few genuinely garbage Toyota engines. Even then it just Isn't That Bad compared to a lot of other brands.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I like how it's an idler and not even the water pump (which looks to be mounted right below it)

I had to change a cam sprocket on a 1uz the other days. Yes, days.

I'd love to know why it took you so long, no special tools required and the vehicles they come in usually have loads of space to work.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'd love to know why it took you so long, no special tools required and the vehicles they come in usually have loads of space to work.

Yeah the 1UZ is my favorite engine. Everyone at my shop dreads them and I smile because there easy as piss to work on. Literally my favorite crowded engine bay.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

It was in a UZZ32 Soarer, their 1UZ is unique in that it has a large metal timing cover which is blocked by pretty much everything in the front of the engine bay. Radiator, all ancillaries, most PS pipes all get in the way. Access to of of these things is somewhat restricted. Also 24 year old car from Japan/UK. Also it rained all afternoon on day 1 :(. I was quoted 17 hours of labour by a local garage and did it in under 10.

But yes, a 10,12,14,17,19 and 22mm socket is pretty much all you need to do anything on these cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh. Forgot that the lesser soarers come with that engine, I can see why that would be a problem.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Oh. Forgot that the lesser soarers come with that engine, I can see why that would be a problem.

Er, UZZ32 is the exact opposite of a lesser Soarer. That being said, I would like to know why they opted for a hydraulic cooling fan on their top-of-the-line model - since they didn't use vacuum power locks or windows I have to assume they had access to electrical motors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is from the Jetta

Oh, and its not the plastic that is the issue, not so much.

The flange is not filled in, so there are open areas above and below where the flange seats against the head, and when the seal goes out, it doesn't leak coolant visibly, but instead leaks the coolant into those empty spaces in the plastic, against the head.
And then it pits out where the flange sits against the head. THEN it leaks out, now that you cannot seat the flange anymore due to pitting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

At least they used commonly available AMP/TE Junior Power Timer connectors on those sensors, instead of something weird and bespoke? Grasping for straws here...

(JPT connectors kinda suck but they work and at least they're super easy to recognize and available EVERYWHERE.)

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
More difficult to manufacture AND a worse design than just having a solid flange. Well done VW

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

This is from the Jetta

The flange is not filled in, so there are open areas above and below where the flange seats against the head, and when the seal goes out, it doesn't leak coolant visibly, but instead leaks the coolant into those empty spaces in the plastic, against the head.
And then it pits out where the flange sits against the head. THEN it leaks out, now that you cannot seat the flange anymore due to pitting.

Where exactly does that thing hook up at? Some guy from another parts store called us when he couldn't find it for a customer and even though I found it from guessing the name and a general description of the item, I still have no clue where that loving thing goes.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I'm fortunate enough to have an aluminum thermostat housing in my car, but the plastic heater control valve makes up for it, I guess:

I noticed a small leak one day and when I went in for a closer look, I made the mistake of nudging the hose which resulted in the drat thing snapping right off.

There's also a plastic 'T' fitting on the other end of that hose that broke while I was removing it to get the broken fragments of the valve out. Thanks GM! :suicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Don't worry, Jeep uses those too. Fortunately they realized that it was redundant garbage and eliminated it for the 97 XJ model year.

I broke mine the same way, I nudged it about half an inch over (it's hanging out in space suspended 6 inches from anything by heater hoses) while changing my spark plugs and it was abruptly in multiple pieces and pouring coolant everywhere. 1/2" copper pipe makes a good substitute so I just sweated up a couple elbows and eliminated it :v:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

All of those plastic thermostat housings looked familiar so on a hunch I looked up the one for my parents old Vanagon...

There are a bunch of those coolant pipes I remember dad replacing several times each over the years.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
This coolant pipe is under the intake on a BMW M42 motor. It's loving stupid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

Er, UZZ32 is the exact opposite of a lesser Soarer. That being said, I would like to know why they opted for a hydraulic cooling fan on their top-of-the-line model - since they didn't use vacuum power locks or windows I have to assume they had access to electrical motors.
The 1JZ-GTE 5 speed model was definitely the one to have, having driven and spannered both. The fan is because lexus; it makes for a very powerful yet very quiet fan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

Where exactly does that thing hook up at? Some guy from another parts store called us when he couldn't find it for a customer and even though I found it from guessing the name and a general description of the item, I still have no clue where that loving thing goes.

Depends, but I believe this one goes on the side of the head.

Yup.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

All of a sudden, I feel slightly less bad about my Goddamned Cooling System. At least everything's easy to get at :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrChips posted:

All of a sudden, I feel slightly less bad about my Goddamned Cooling System. At least everything's easy to get at :v:

Seriously, I was cursing the tiny hands of the asian engineer who designed my cooling system, but god drat am I happy that it's all rubber and metal

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Root Bear posted:

I'm fortunate enough to have an aluminum thermostat housing in my car, but the plastic heater control valve makes up for it, I guess:

I noticed a small leak one day and when I went in for a closer look, I made the mistake of nudging the hose which resulted in the drat thing snapping right off.

There's also a plastic 'T' fitting on the other end of that hose that broke while I was removing it to get the broken fragments of the valve out. Thanks GM! :suicide:

I had one of these fuckers literally blow apart after going full-throttle on a Volvo 760 Turbo. Then again, it seemed like nearly every plastic part on that Swedish meatball would crumble into dust if you looked at it wrong.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

Apparently its more efficient as well as being quieter. Electric fans suffer due to alternators efficiency. These hydraulic fans have a bypass valve which opens and closes dependant on demand, so the load on the engine is reduced when cooling is not required (unlike a viscous fan). That being said, I struggle to believe that, since the engine fan hilariously has its own tiny radiator to cool the hydraulic fluid it uses. So yeah, the car's radiator fan has its own radiator. The suspension radiator has an electric fan, though.

These cars are hydraulic everything though, with two power steering pumps, hydraulic suspension, hydroboost brakes and that hilarious fan setup. The only thing that the engine turns which isn't a hydraulic pump of some kind is the alternator (and the AC compressor, I guess?)

As far as I know, the only items which use vacuum are the FPR, charcoal canister and heater valve.

Also lol at 'lesser Soarer'. Lesser in quantity, yes.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 12, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

back of the head. I've replaced a couple of em on loving beetles.

Fanchat: In the desert an electric fan is good for about 3-4mpg over a large mechanical on lovely little v8s.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

CommieGIR posted:

This is from the Jetta

Got the same exact thing on the Zamboni. It leaks on both of my machines and I have to add coolant every week.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Also lol at 'lesser Soarer'. Lesser in quantity, yes.

Especially in North America, where the turbo JZ model doesn't exist and the tiny number of JZ cars that were specced with a manual all got torn down as donors to make manual UZ cars, the SC400 is the one to have. Its only drawback (vs. the naturally aspirated/slushbox SC300) at that point is MPGs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Friend 3 years ago: What car should I buy.
Me: Toyota / Honda they are appliances and will last forever
Friend: But I GOTTA BUY AMURIKAN the money stays here, REAGANOMICS< THE ECONOMY!!11

* 3 years pass*

Friend: How much can I expect to pay for Bearings/Pads/ Rotors
me: Your Bearings are gone.. isn't that car 2-3 years old.
friend:yes

extra fun for him is it's a full hub/bearing assembly.. $100+/side

Told him to at least make sure to find a shop that shop won't double charge labor for brakes/hubs.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 12, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
If it's hub/bearing assembly then gently caress having a shop do it, they just bolt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

revmoo posted:

If it's hub/bearing assembly then gently caress having a shop do it, they just bolt on.

I know I'm in the middle of 2 moves my driveway mechanics shop is packed up for the next 2 months. Told him that parts +$50 in tools and someone with a brain can help.