Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

CharlestonJew posted:

The biggest letdown is that some of the audio logs mention Strange spends most of his spare time staring at a Batman costume he made himself and crying constantly, so you never actually get to fight Strange while he's wearing his crappy little batsuit.

No, the biggest letdown is that he swears if Batman fights him he'll reveal his secret identity in the opening cutscene, and then never even tries to do so.

Toady posted:

All those words to say "<villain> is crazy."

And Mr. Freeze is definitely not crazy. He's arrogant, and so is Batman, which is why they fight, but his actions are entirely rational. The problem is he lets his pride override his alleged main goal, which is saving his wife, and so he ignores the fact that Batman would obviously help if he just asked. And Batman probably could have saved Nora in a few minutes, although Harley still would have stolen the cure. It was obviously shoehorned in as an excuse for one of the best boss fights in video game history, but I think it makes enough sense given the character of both men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jurgan posted:

No, the biggest letdown is that he swears if Batman fights him he'll reveal his secret identity in the opening cutscene, and then never even tries to do so.

Isn't that because it's a bluff? It's the only thing he really holds over Batman and Batman clearly gives no shits about his identity being revealed so he just goes about systematically pulling apart Strange's plan anyway.

Also, if he tells the world Batman is also Bruce Wayne then what's he got left? It's one of those classic things where the only leverage/advantage/threat he has is the only thing he can't actually use.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kin posted:

Isn't that because it's a bluff? It's the only thing he really holds over Batman and Batman clearly gives no shits about his identity being revealed so he just goes about systematically pulling apart Strange's plan anyway.

Also, if he tells the world Batman is also Bruce Wayne then what's he got left? It's one of those classic things where the only leverage/advantage/threat he has is the only thing he can't actually use.

I guess, but once it became clear he was losing anyway, he could have revealed it out of spite. I don't know, it just seemed like there was no reason to introduce it if nothing was going to come of it. Chekov's Gun, you know?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Jurgan posted:

And Mr. Freeze is definitely not crazy. He's arrogant, and so is Batman, which is why they fight, but his actions are entirely rational. The problem is he lets his pride override his alleged main goal, which is saving his wife, and so he ignores the fact that Batman would obviously help if he just asked. And Batman probably could have saved Nora in a few minutes, although Harley still would have stolen the cure. It was obviously shoehorned in as an excuse for one of the best boss fights in video game history, but I think it makes enough sense given the character of both men.

Freeze is definitely arrogant, but not really in a way that would make him blindingly stupid enough to only accept help after Batman defeated him in personal combat. The way it jumps from originally working together after Batman rescues him to "fight time now" and then back to status quo is just super jarring. It really is just one of those parts where the writers really just weren't good enough to rationalize the gameplay segment and said gently caress it. Maybe it still works for you, but it stands out enough to me that I wish they had come up with a better justification for that boss battle, cause it is indeed awesome.

In contrast, they did a really good job with Clayface. He's pretty much a perfect example of how a character nuances/flaws (and even "craziness") can work entirely naturally as a justification for their gameplay/story role. He shouldn't and doesn't give a gently caress about Joker or his plan, but utilizing the Basil Karlo form of Clayface opened up a doorway for them with his vanity. And the story even remarks on how this would be the role of a lifetime for him so it makes perfect sense for him to go along with this convoluted plan where he doesn't really have any material gain. Similarly, since he wasn't even an inmate in Arkham City it helps justify why Batman doesn't piece together the plan earlier and figure out there's an imposter at work (which is actually pretty clever for a game that still utilizes probably the shittiest story shotcut in gaming where the super proficient protagonist gets knocked-out or captured in a cutscene like a chump just to keep the story moving,).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I liked how Arkham City hypes the hell out of Dr Strange's master plan... and it turns out to be slooowly trying to kill all the criminals. That's it.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Freeze's boss fight motive should've just been summed up with "Remember when you almost killed me several hours ago?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just preordered the game, now the wait begins.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

The Penguin is more or less an arms dealer with a nickname and The Riddler and Anarky are vigilantes whose alter egos are reactions to Batman. The assassins showing up is a reaction to Batman. Joker showing up is a reaction to Batman. Without meaning to do it, Bruce Wayne creates around him the kind of chaotic world he can understand and find purpose in through struggle. He externalizes his inner conflict.

I'm not saying there weren't costumed weirdos before Batman; I'm saying Batman started an arms race of crazy. The city was arguably safer before him because mobsters are predictable in that they won't randomly blow up buildings while wearing grease paint in order to prove a point to a man in a cowl. Corrupt and lovely, yeah, but safer. Origins is the most interesting to me because it's a document of the moment of transition between the two eras in the Arkhamverse.

Now this makes me want to see a Batman take on Fritz Lang's M. Say all the mobsters get together and agree that the mass slaughter done by supervillains is against their code and is bringing too much attention down on them to boot, so they determine to eliminate the supervillains themselves. They end up on the same side as the cops working against both the villains and Batman.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hope next game is gordon batman in robosuit

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For real though Batman is crazy, his personal code of honour is just a way of dressing up compulsion to act in a certain way. Any normal hero (you could maybe argue that no superhero is mentally healthy) wouldn't be so fixated on not killing the Joker. Most superheroes don't like to kill and if an accident happens they feel bad about it but Batman is legit obsessive about it.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 11, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

For real though Batman is crazy, his personal code of honour is just a way of dressing up compulsion to act in a certain way. Any normal hero (you could maybe argue that no superhero is mentally healthy) wouldn't be so fixated on not killing the Joker. Most superheroes don't like to kill and if an accident happens they feel bad about it but Batman is legit obsessive about it.

After J. Jonah Jameson's wife was killed by Alistar Smythe, Spider-Man kind of did his own "no one dies EVER" thing. He was obsessive about it too for a while. It wasn't a particularly well done thing (as I believe Dan Slott wrote that comic...) but I think some superheroes have been obsessive about it.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Reason posted:

Hope next game the Arkham Knight is gordon batman in robosuit

Fixed that for you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

new arkham insider. things confimered. thugs dont dodge well cars well. also closer quick look at firefly. also the gamer is longer the both city and asylum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQrFevUtu4

I'm catching up on this late, but in the brawl in Chinatown, did anyone else catch flashes of light as Batman hit people? And the meter that fills up on the left side of the screen? That all looked like the taserfists from Origins.

I hated the taserfists from Origins. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Bizarre Echo posted:

That all looked like the taserfists from Origins.

I hated the taserfists from Origins. Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Just watched it again. Looks to me like a visual indicator on progress towards a special move. It was exhausted when he used the throw special move, and it fills up at the pace you would expect for a special move from past Arkham games. So I doubt it's tasers.

I do agree that the taserfists weren't a great addition in Origins. Personally I wish they had made them only last like 3 seconds each time you use it, so you only have time to hit 2-3 enemies with them. I'm not sure what controls were used to activate them on keyboard and mouse, but at least using a 360 controller you had to deliberately activate them (hard to do by accident) so after I used them the first couple times I just went on ignoring them and playing the combat as normal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Keeku posted:

I'm not sure what controls were used to activate them on keyboard and mouse, but at least using a 360 controller you had to deliberately activate them (hard to do by accident) so after I used them the first couple times I just went on ignoring them and playing the combat as normal.

LMB and and RMB, aka attack and counter. It is really easy to accidentally activate them if you attack and then counter too soon.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
On keyboard and mouse you triggered them by hitting left and right click at the same time, or at least close enough to the same time that I triggered them repeatedly without meaning to. I just didn't like how they trivialized fights. I really enjoyed trying to beat my own high score in all the AC challenge rooms, but for AO I ended up only doing the Deathstroke rooms because of the taserfists.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Oh poo poo, I was wondering why so many had such a big problem with taserfists. That would really suck on keyboard and mouse. On the 360 controller it was by clicking down both the thumb sticks, so not easily activated. I'm guessing it would also activate by pressing the 'X' and 'Y' buttons at the same time, but at least (for me anyhow) that never happened.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

After J. Jonah Jameson's wife was killed by Alistar Smythe, Spider-Man kind of did his own "no one dies EVER" thing. He was obsessive about it too for a while. It wasn't a particularly well done thing (as I believe Dan Slott wrote that comic...) but I think some superheroes have been obsessive about it.

I'm more bothered when heroes do the "no kill" vow and then the writing finds ways to get them off the hook. When Straczynski wrote Spider-Man, there were an awful lot of villains who were "too dangerous to let live," but then were conveniently killed by other means/people. Same with Rurouni Kenshin. Trigun is pretty much the only series I can think of that actually had the guts to follow the "never kill" superhero vow through to its logical conclusion.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jurgan posted:

I'm more bothered when heroes do the "no kill" vow and then the writing finds ways to get them off the hook.

This is pretty much what happened with the "Ends of the Earth" storyline. Slott did the "no kill" vow and had Rhino take note of this and go "Welp. I'm gonna hold Silver Sable hostage on this sinking underwater base and you can either kill me to save her or we'll BOTH die." Sable told Spider-Man to just forget about her and go stop Doc Ock.

So, in the end, Rhino and Sable both died. Rhino dying TECHNICALLY wasn't Spider-Man's fault he died as he was suicidal anyway.

But yeah...that's Dan Slott for you.

To go back to Batman though, I seriously don't know what happened with Slott after he wrote Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.

I'm also thinking the Batmobile in Knight is going to be annoying overkill because it's pretty much "Hey! It's Batman with machine guns, rocket launchers, and other crazy poo poo...but all non-lethal so it's 100% ok!"

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Rubber bullets being fired out of a rotary cannon or autocannon are clearly still non-lethal :colbert:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I would've liked the shock gloves more if the loving prompt ever left the screen.

Also, why in the world does Origins run so much worse than City? My PS3 has had hard drive problems (it would take over four minutes to load textures in certain unreal engine games, like Bioshock) so I put in a new hard drive. Something's up with the ability to stream, but even when I first placed Origins it ran like garbage on the ps3. Friends that played it on the 360 also reported similar complaints.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Slott did the "no kill" vow

That's not really Slott, though. Spider-Man's always been strictly nonlethal, and I don't think Marvel editorial would let one of their writers change that. I kind of got the feeling that Straczynski wanted Spidey to be able to kill his foes but was forbidden, and that's why he kept having to find ways to off them where Spidey wasn't technically at fault or the villain wasn't "alive" in the strictest sense.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I would've liked the shock gloves more if the loving prompt ever left the screen.

Also, why in the world does Origins run so much worse than City? My PS3 has had hard drive problems (it would take over four minutes to load textures in certain unreal engine games, like Bioshock) so I put in a new hard drive. Something's up with the ability to stream, but even when I first placed Origins it ran like garbage on the ps3. Friends that played it on the 360 also reported similar complaints.

Because it pushes both systems really hard due to the larger map sizes.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Narcissus1916 posted:

I liked how Arkham City hypes the hell out of Dr Strange's master plan... and it turns out to be slooowly trying to kill all the criminals. That's it.

The real pay off of the plan is Strange getting the political capital from decisively putting down the arkham riot to make a bid for mayor himself, if I recall correctly.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Okonner posted:

The real pay off of the plan is Strange getting the political capital from decisively putting down the arkham riot to make a bid for mayor himself, if I recall correctly.
And turning the Arkham City plan into something that would be replicated in cities all over, I think? Not really sure how firebombing it all to hell was supposed to achieve that part. It's been awhile since I really listened to the specifics of What Was To Come.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

redbackground posted:

And turning the Arkham City plan into something that would be replicated in cities all over, I think? Not really sure how firebombing it all to hell was supposed to achieve that part. It's been awhile since I really listened to the specifics of What Was To Come.

Yeah, this part never made sense to me either. But then again... He always was a little... Strange.

YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I have a 30% off coupon that I won't use before its expiration date for Green Man Gaming if anyone wants this on pc for cheap(ish).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

checking out some gameplay videos for this... I don't see civilians... is there another bullshit reason in game why the city is empty besides preventing batman from mowing down the innocent with the batmobile?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

checking out some gameplay videos for this... I don't see civilians... is there another bullshit reason in game why the city is empty besides preventing batman from mowing down the innocent with the batmobile?
It's been/is being evacuated because Scarecrow is about to dump poison gas on the entire city or something. It's mentioned in one of the early cinematic trailers.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It's also a source of conflict between Bats and Gordon because Barbara was supposed to evacuate but stayed to help out as Oracle.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

redbackground posted:

I think he was expecting after the criminals all got blown up for Gotham to enter into a golden age period of unfettered ultimate prosperity and law-abidery, which would make him look super good in retrospect, which would then cause other cities to replicate etc etc etc.

Of COURSE it would never work that way, but he's a comic book villain literally named Dr. Strange, so not exactly press-stopping news there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

I think he was expecting after the criminals all got blown up for Gotham to enter into a golden age period of unfettered ultimate prosperity and law-abidery, which would make him look super good in retrospect, which would then cause other cities to replicate etc etc etc.

Of COURSE it would never work that way, but he's a comic book villain literally named Dr. Strange, so not exactly press-stopping news there.
If you kill all the criminals, there won't be any criminals. That's just science.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Dr. Strange went a step beyond Human Centipede 3. If only all of humanity could step beyond it as well, preferably with eyes closed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did someone ask for more cheesy trailers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2JnYl5v8Qs

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, that was it, the one thing the Arkham Knight advertising onslaught was missing, BRECKIN MEYER.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I cant handle this normie poo poo.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I kinda enjoyed famous people's funny reactions to beating the poo poo out of thugs in a video game.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Forbes is noting that some sites (IGN and Kotaku specifically) are getting review copies early and will have reviews live before launch. Other folks slated to receive review copies won't be getting them until launch day. It's unclear what determines who gets a copy before release date, so it could be anything from needing a debug PS4 to play it to only giving early copies to "friendly" review sites.

I'm a little nervous. With all the marketing muscle they're putting into this title, limiting its review exposure on Day One seems like an unusual decision if they're happy with how everything turned out.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

redbackground posted:

Wasn't it explained that Strange would use his skills in brainwashing and the resources provided by the League of Assassins to bribe and intimidate to get around the fact that Arkham City was obviously a gigantic human rights violation and all-around terrible idea right from the inception?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 11, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mogomra posted:

I kinda enjoyed famous people's funny reactions to beating the poo poo out of thugs in a video game.
Good cause I can assure you there are certainly people complaining about it and how they suck at video games (for the record I don't but most of them ended fights with like 2-5x multipliers). Those people can go to hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
C'mon, none of those actors were playing the game anyway. They were shown pre-planned commercial-friendly scenes to comment on and fake play.

• Locked thread