Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My laser printer power cable is too short. I'm looking at getting a 3-5 foot extension. I see on home depot's website some of them have amperage ratings. Do I need to be concerned about that? I figured any cable that size would handle it.
Rather than getting an extension, just get a longer cable, they also make right-angle connector cables. You need a cable rated for at least 10 amps as laser printers use a LOT of power when printing, all the cables on that page are 10A+. Since it doesn't cost much more I would just get a 14AWG cable in whatever length you need. It's not typically wise to use extension cords for higher-draw devices. If you use a cable that is too narrow, you will waste electricity on heating up the cable, and potentially even start a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
This is dumb, but my friend has a computer in which he got a used motherboard that lacks an I/O shield. I can't find a replacement for it, is there any good stand ins for an I/O shield, or would a new need to be fabricated?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

FaustianQ posted:

This is dumb, but my friend has a computer in which he got a used motherboard that lacks an I/O shield. I can't find a replacement for it, is there any good stand ins for an I/O shield, or would a new need to be fabricated?
They're specific to the motherboard but you can probably get one from the manufacturer. Or just run without it, they aren't actually required except to keep radio interference inside the box, and I doubt the FCC is coming after you.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just upgraded to a GTX 970, is using my GTX 760 as a PhysX co-processor until I can find someone to sell it to a stupid idea?

Corsair HX650 PSU
4670K (at stock clock)
One HDD, One SSD

I'm pretty sure I have enough juice to run it, I just don't know that it'd really help at all since the 970 is already an absolute beast of a card to begin with

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Alereon posted:

They're specific to the motherboard but you can probably get one from the manufacturer. Or just run without it, they aren't actually required except to keep radio interference inside the box, and I doubt the FCC is coming after you.

Already asked the manufacturer, said they don't have any because the board is old. Oh well.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dramatika posted:

I just upgraded to a GTX 970, is using my GTX 760 as a PhysX co-processor until I can find someone to sell it to a stupid idea?

Corsair HX650 PSU
4670K (at stock clock)
One HDD, One SSD

I'm pretty sure I have enough juice to run it, I just don't know that it'd really help at all since the 970 is already an absolute beast of a card to begin with
It'll help a lot for PhysX, but that isn't much these days. Do you actually play games that make extensive use of PhysX and can use hardware acceleration? If you have more than one monitor, run the primary off your main GPU, and any additional monitors off of the onboard for better efficiency.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

Already asked the manufacturer, said they don't have any because the board is old. Oh well.

What's the board? I've got a bit of a hoarding problem and might have had one in the past. I think I've still got the IO shield for an old dual PIII board that I recycled years ago.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Oddhair posted:

What's the board? I've got a bit of a hoarding problem and might have had one in the past. I think I've still got the IO shield for an old dual PIII board that I recycled years ago.

It's an ASrock G41M-VS3 R2.0.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

FaustianQ posted:

It's an ASrock G41M-VS3 R2.0.
That's such a basic board that you might be able to find a similar-enough shield in the junk box of a local computer store. It would probably have extra holes, but that's better than a giant gap in the back of the case.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Alereon posted:

That's such a basic board that you might be able to find a similar-enough shield in the junk box of a local computer store. It would probably have extra holes, but that's better than a giant gap in the back of the case.

Since I don't have a nearby computer store I tried to make do with Ebay and still couldn't find anything compatible, the closest were some H61 boards (a Gigabyte and an Asus).

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My laser printer power cable is too short. I'm looking at getting a 3-5 foot extension. I see on home depot's website some of them have amperage ratings. Do I need to be concerned about that? I figured any cable that size would handle it.

Laser printers have very high peak power draws - they have to literally melt toner onto paper, and the startup current for the fuser is intense.

There should be a label on the printer with its maximum power draw listed. If you can, just get a longer power cord; if not, be sure to get a short, fat extension cable that can handle your printer's needs.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I keep thinking this laser printer somehow has an integrated power cord.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
If my cat knocked my external hard drvie onto the floor and now it doesn't work, no power light, not detected by PC... am I just boned?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sinking Ship posted:

If my cat knocked my external hard drvie onto the floor and now it doesn't work, no power light, not detected by PC... am I just boned?

If it's in an enclosure you can open it to try and see if the drive itself works as the enclosure may be busted. Otherwise, yeah.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Party Plane Jones posted:

If it's in an enclosure you can open it to try and see if the drive itself works as the enclosure may be busted. Otherwise, yeah.

I'm not sure what that means... it was this one and I don't see anything about enclosures so I guess I'm just boned. Oh well. Thanks for the quick reply.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm not sure what that means... it was this one and I don't see anything about enclosures so I guess I'm just boned. Oh well. Thanks for the quick reply.
That's a USB 3.0 enclosure box with a harddrive inside. Open the box and take the harddrive out and put it in your computer to see if it works.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Alereon posted:

That's a USB 3.0 enclosure box with a harddrive inside. Open the box and take the harddrive out and put it in your computer to see if it works.

This is starting to turn into a bit of a long question so sorry for that...

But I pulled the external apart, powered off my computer, fit it into one of the harddrive trays and realized I don't have a cord to connect the HDD to the motherboard. Also the power cord for my current HDD doesn't seem compatible with the power slot on the external? Is there a way for me to check if my current rig is even compatible with this Barracuda 3000 or whatever? And a place I can order a cable to connect the HDD to the motherboard (which is a ASUSTeK M4A79XTD EVO(AM3)) according to speccy, if that matters.

Normally this would be the point I turn to the friend I bought this computer off of but we've sort of fallen out of touch, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
VM on external storage question. My work PC has a small HDD so I want to run the VMs I have for testing Windows 8.1, 10, and a small test SQL database off USB 3.0. What's the best solution for flash drive vs retail external SSD vs buying an SSD and enclosure? Portability is not a major factor, it will probably just sit on my desk.

Our vendor is CDW. I'm probably going to try and justify a 128gb drive, which is enough for 2-3 VMs at a time.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Sinking Ship posted:

This is starting to turn into a bit of a long question so sorry for that...

But I pulled the external apart, powered off my computer, fit it into one of the harddrive trays and realized I don't have a cord to connect the HDD to the motherboard. Also the power cord for my current HDD doesn't seem compatible with the power slot on the external? Is there a way for me to check if my current rig is even compatible with this Barracuda 3000 or whatever? And a place I can order a cable to connect the HDD to the motherboard (which is a ASUSTeK M4A79XTD EVO(AM3)) according to speccy, if that matters.

Normally this would be the point I turn to the friend I bought this computer off of but we've sort of fallen out of touch, so hopefully you guys can help me out.
SATA data cables are like $1 from any store that sells computer parts, it's a normal hard drive so your computer will be compatible, just connect a SATA power cable from the power supply to the new drive. That should be the same type of power cable your current drive uses, and there should be extras, or at least extra plugs on the cable you currently use.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Alereon posted:

SATA data cables are like $1 from any store that sells computer parts, it's a normal hard drive so your computer will be compatible, just connect a SATA power cable from the power supply to the new drive. That should be the same type of power cable your current drive uses, and there should be extras, or at least extra plugs on the cable you currently use.
In addition to that, if there's still a dvd drive in that computer, no harm in temporarily using the cables from that to check if the drive still works (disconnect and reconnect with the power off).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is this normal just looking at my desktop or do I have a bitcon miner or some poo poo? HD 7850.

It's a few years old. I've cleaned the fans to no effect. It dips down to about 60% activity every tenth second or so.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Are you running furmark? If not then you're probably mining coins for some lucky botnet.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Not a computer, but I figured somebody here would know since it could be a laptop question.

I have a Korg Micro X Sythn keyboard thing with a messed up power jack. The thing is, the proper jac is discontinued.

I bought another jack that will fit the pcb just fine, and a tip that will connect.

Can I just solder in a different type jack, and splice in the proper tip to the current plug?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

cisco privilege posted:

Are you running furmark? If not then you're probably mining coins for some lucky botnet.

Security Essentials isn't picking up anything.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah security essentials isn't going to catch potentially unwanted programs (pup) or a lot of malware in general. It mostly stops the old school viruses you'd get by copying floppies or whatever. It's good at that but most basic antivirus is completely useless for stopping malware unless it's a bloated "internet security" edition. Run Malwarebytes anti-malware and if it doesn't find it try adwcleaner. If it's in deeper than that then you'll want to try to identify it and find a solution on bleepingcomputer or something like that. I read that utorrent includes a bitcoin miner so maybe it's that?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

SplitSoul posted:

I'd suggest running hitmanpro, malwarebytes, and maybe TDSS killer also. You probably have something like iehighutil running on the PC.
Edit: also the utorrent poo poo.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks for the help, MalwareBytes caught three miners and a trojan going at it. :eyepop:

My uTorrent is v2.2.1.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks for the help, MalwareBytes caught three miners and a trojan going at it. :eyepop:

My uTorrent is v2.2.1.

Good lord...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LingcodKilla posted:

Good lord...

Yeah, I have no idea how they got there, I don't download random poo poo. Think that program might be a worthy investment.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SplitSoul posted:

My uTorrent is v2.2.1.

Malwarebytes may not successfully get rid of all of them so be prepared to run the full gamut on your system if they don't go away. The last client I had with a machine full of malware that was worse than a malwarebytes scan required VIPRE Rescue boot disk, ClamWinPortable, tdsskiller, rkill, adwcleaner and probably some other poo poo I can't remember to get it totally clean. After I got the malware off some system files were corrupt and I noticed the hard disk was failing so it ended up being the least of his issues.

If the system remains clean after malwarebytes then all that is unnecessary, though. It catches most stuff which is why it's recommended first.

You might want to try another torrent program like deluge or transmission that doesn't install malware, too. They get updates and don't try to trick you into mining bitcoins for them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rexxed posted:

Malwarebytes may not successfully get rid of all of them so be prepared to run the full gamut on your system if they don't go away. The last client I had with a machine full of malware that was worse than a malwarebytes scan required VIPRE Rescue boot disk, ClamWinPortable, tdsskiller, rkill, adwcleaner and probably some other poo poo I can't remember to get it totally clean. After I got the malware off some system files were corrupt and I noticed the hard disk was failing so it ended up being the least of his issues.

The issue went away immediately, but I think I'll run AdWCleaner just to be sure.

Rexxed posted:

You might want to try another torrent program like deluge or transmission that doesn't install malware, too. They get updates and don't try to trick you into mining bitcoins for them.

That's why I run an ancient version, from before it had ads of any kind. Were there any similar problems then? I tried Deluge before but didn't like it, so I'll have a look at Transmission.

Thanks again.

I mean, I don't download random poo poo from public trackers. Does v2.2.1 have malware?

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 11, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I don't download random poo poo.

:confused:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I've heard that the enclosures on WD external hard drives have hardware-based encryption that automatically encrypts data written to drive, making your data completely unreadable if the any of the electronics in the enclosure ever fails.

What is the point of this? I can not think of any possible advantages that would provide. It just gives the drive one more potential point of failure, for no real benefit.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Is there a cable that will allow me to transfer files quickly between a Windows 7 PC and a Macbook Pro (no Ethernet port, just Thunderbolt)? I don't need a full network. Just need to copy large files over quickly. I'm currently using USB sticks and its a pain. The computers are next to each other on the desk.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Firewire?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

There's USB 2 computer linking cables for that purpose, but they probably suck harder than flash drives or external hard drives.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Geemer posted:

There's USB 2 computer linking cables for that purpose, but they probably suck harder than flash drives or external hard drives.

I bought a USB cable that purported to do what I wanted, and it was completely useless. It seemed to have some sort of "clever" cache that meant the other computer didn't detect that the file changed.

Googling around suggests I need a "crossover" ethernet cable. But the Macbook doesn't have an ethernet port. Can you get a crossover ethernet to thunderbolt cable?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BarbarianElephant posted:

I bought a USB cable that purported to do what I wanted, and it was completely useless. It seemed to have some sort of "clever" cache that meant the other computer didn't detect that the file changed.

Googling around suggests I need a "crossover" ethernet cable. But the Macbook doesn't have an ethernet port. Can you get a crossover ethernet to thunderbolt cable?

Why aren't you just buying a thunderbolt Ethernet adapter? They're relatively cheap, and will be useful in far more than this one situation. Also, crossover cables are obsolete, modern Ethernet ports don't need them. You just need a regular Ethernet cord.

Plus you could just spend no money and transfer stuff over wifi if you set up sharing on your network. It'll be a bit slower but it's totally free.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Geemer posted:

I have one from Monoprice that works pretty good. I've successfully transferred files between a Win 8.1 and OSX (Yosemite? Whatever the most current version is.) about a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why aren't you just buying a thunderbolt Ethernet adapter? They're relatively cheap, and will be useful in far more than this one situation. Also, crossover cables are obsolete, modern Ethernet ports don't need them. You just need a regular Ethernet cord.

Awesome! I'll get one. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Plus you could just spend no money and transfer stuff over wifi if you set up sharing on your network. It'll be a bit slower but it's totally free.

Too drat slow! These are big files.