Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I'd say good candidates would be Masters of the Universe, Howard the Duck, Pearl Harbor, Van Helsing, The Happening, Wild Wild West, Waterworld, Hudson Hawk, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Charlie's Angels 2...

Van Helsing is my personal pick.

I don't know that there's much left to say about Pearl Harbor, The Happening, and Wild Wild West, and possibly also Waterworld and Howard the Duck. They did do Masters of the Universe, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Forgot about Masters. Thanks!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm glad that I'm finally not the only one who thinks Wentworth Miller is terrible on the Flash.

Nah. He's just embraced the campness of the whole thing. I mean, look what they've given him to work with really. He's a dude who runs around in a Parka jacket and a freeze gun. Him and Purcell are just having a lot of fun.

Plus Miller wrote STOKER, and that was great.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, 1997 was kind of a lovely year for blockbusters. Lost World, Speed 2, Batman and Robin, Air Force One, Steel, Spawn, Kull the Conqueror, and then a brief period of respite before the double-punch of Alien: Resurrection and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, then Tomorrow Never Dies and The Postman to round it out.

Has any year had that many below-average to gently caress-awful "major movie events" before? Like, in hindsight I almost think Titanic did so well because it was a breath of fresh air after the unholy Shitmageddon that was the latter half of that year.

e: You could make a solid argument that said Shitmageddon started in March of that year; Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, The Saint (which premiered opposite Double Team, though I really like that movie), Anaconda, Volcano, and Warriors of Virtue all came out within weeks of each other, and then Lost World was like a week or two after Warriors of Virtue. Literally the only blockbusters from that year that are commonly well-received are Men in Black and Titanic, which came out almost 6 months apart.

I'm amazed at how many of those I saw in theaters, I must've done nothing but go to the movies that summer.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Van Helsing is my personal pick.

Mine as well, that was such a streaming pile. My biggest regret was ignoring the impulse to walk out of the theater because the director made The Mummy, so it surely would get better. Spoiler: it did not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could have sworn that Spawn actually did well and was generally liked, if only for John Leguizamo.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

They can only cover Van Helsing if everyone bellows "I am holloooooooow!" when they get to that part.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Air Force One

How dare you disrespect President Ford forcing Gary Oldman to get off his plane.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gyges posted:

How dare you disrespect President Ford forcing Gary Oldman to get off his plane.

Agreed, Air Force One is great, what the hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mortal Kombat just got added to Netflix. It is every bit as amazing and hilarious as I remember. :colbert:

I've never actually watched Annihilation, I feel like I should though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

precision posted:

Mortal Kombat just got added to Netflix. It is every bit as amazing and hilarious as I remember. :colbert:

You shouldn't. It's an awful nothing of a movie.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

thrawn527 posted:

You shouldn't. It's an awful nothing of a movie.

Awful nothing is underselling it just a touch, I mean the costumes and sets and fun, plus it gave us this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIt0VY7Yg2w

If nothing else, watch the first few minutes of Annihilation after watching the ending to the first. The two so naturally dovetail, it's just a work of art.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

MK is on Youtube, some guy uploaded it. The entire thing is there except a ten minute segment from the final fight. I guess there's music in it that caused an auto dump.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, Christopher Lloyd...

My guess is Suburban Commando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8zz95rm8s

(I don't care if it was released in October, this is right up their alley)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, 1997 was kind of a lovely year for blockbusters. [...]Kull the Conqueror[...]

I wouldn't call a Kevin Sorbo movie dumped on the unsuspecting public a "blockbuster", or even an attempted one.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I feel like next week has to be Dennis the Menace, right? It's been a while since they got mad at a lovely kid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

User-Friendly posted:

I feel like next week has to be Dennis the Menace, right? It's been a while since they got mad at a lovely kid.

What about House Arrest?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also I finally listened to The Lost World and when they were trying to remember what Goldbum's "go faster" quote was I really wanted to jump in and tell them it's "Increase your rate of climb." Because everyone needs to know that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gyges posted:

Other than that one scene (and the inherent coolness of Harrison Ford playing the president) it's honestly kinda crap. The dramatic climax looks like a PS1 cutscene.

Random Stranger posted:

I wouldn't call a Kevin Sorbo movie dumped on the unsuspecting public a "blockbuster", or even an attempted one.

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys ran from 1995 to 1999. Kull came out smack in the middle of that, at probably the single point in history where people would actually want to go see a movie with him in it.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
It better not be Back to the Future III.

Edit: I know this probably doesn't count as a valid movie for WHM, but I was just looking at Chris Lloyd's Wikipedia page and holy poo poo he appeared in the interactive theater experience Mr. Payback. Also, Pirahna 3DD which is barely a movie as well. I get the impression that Christopher Lloyd doesn't turn down many roles.

Heteroy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that the guys' go-to robot voice is Mr. Butlertron.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Hockles posted:

So, Christopher Lloyd...

My guess is Suburban Commando.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8zz95rm8s

(I don't care if it was released in October, this is right up their alley)

I hope it's this just for more wrestler voice impressions.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

User-Friendly posted:

Even by the standards of Home Alone knockffs that movie was terrible. Even as a kid I recognized how completely justified Mr Wilson was in being mad at the little bastard for almost killing him multiple times and how inappropriately creepy the child-abducting hobo villain that Lloyd played was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Heteroy posted:

It better not be Back to the Future III.

Edit: I know this probably doesn't count as a valid movie for WHM, but I was just looking at Chris Lloyd's Wikipedia page and holy poo poo he appeared in the interactive theater experience Mr. Payback. Also, Pirahna 3DD which is barely a movie as well. I get the impression that Christopher Lloyd doesn't turn down many roles.

For the longest time I thought he was doing alright because he had a producer credit on Frasier and Modern Family. Turns out it's a different Christopher Lloyd.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What's better, Krull or Kull the Conqueror?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sean10mm posted:

What's better, Krull or Kull the Conqueror?

Krull, by a mile. Kull is boring.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys ran from 1995 to 1999. Kull came out smack in the middle of that, at probably the single point in history where people would actually want to go see a movie with him in it.

And yet, they didn't.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Exactly, because that movie is loving awful. Also, yeah, Krull is better, that's not even a question. Krull owns.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Exactly, because that movie is loving awful. Also, yeah, Krull is better, that's not even a question. Krull owns.

Oh, I thought you were saying that to argue that it was a blockbuster. Never mind.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was saying that it was an attempt at one that failed catastrophically. :v:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Man, 1997 was kind of a lovely year for blockbusters. Lost World, Speed 2, Batman and Robin, Air Force One, Steel, Spawn, Kull the Conqueror, and then a brief period of respite before the double-punch of Alien: Resurrection and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, then Tomorrow Never Dies and The Postman to round it out.

Has any year had that many below-average to gently caress-awful "major movie events" before? Like, in hindsight I almost think Titanic did so well because it was a breath of fresh air after the unholy Shitmageddon that was the latter half of that year.

e: You could make a solid argument that said Shitmageddon started in March of that year; Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, The Saint (which premiered opposite Double Team, though I really like that movie), Anaconda, Volcano, and Warriors of Virtue all came out within weeks of each other, and then Lost World was like a week or two after Warriors of Virtue. Literally the only blockbusters from that year that are commonly well-received are Men in Black and Titanic, which came out almost 6 months apart.

Not disagreeing with your or anything, but I started looking at it and I'm not really sure. Face-Off I think was very well-regarded at the time it came out that year. I fully admit not all these are 'major event movies', but looking at it I seem to see quite a bit of things in retrospect about 1997 as a whole. Trying not to duplicate myself in here, so some things are maybe not in the right categories:

Family/Kids movies: Power Rangers, Cat's Can't Dance, That Darn Cat, Masterminds, Jungle 2 Jungle, Hercules, George of the Jungle, A Simple Wish, Good Burger, Air Bud, Rocket Man, Bean, Anastasia, Flubber, Home Alone 3, Mr. Magoo, Mouse Hunt, Warriors of Virtue.

Big (and smaller) action movies: Dante's Peak, Lost World, Speed 2, Batman/Robin, Air Force One, Con Air, Peacemaker, Starship Troopers, MIB, Kull, Steel, Spawn, Fifth Element, Titanic, The Saint, Double Team, Tomorrow Never Dies, Volcano, Face/Off, Metro.

Comedies with relatively older/established Leads: Vegas Vacation, McHale's Navy, Father's Day, Out to Sea, In and Out, Man Who Knew Too Little, Deconstructing Harry, For Richer or Poorer.
(A very lackluster years, even more so if you consider Williams in Flubber, Nielsen in Mr. Magoo, Martin Short in Simple Wish, Murphy in Metro, etc).

Comedies with relatively younger/fresher Leads: Private Parts, Liar Liar, Sixth man, BAPS, Chasing Amy, Grosse Point Blank, Romy and Michelle's..., The Matchmaker, Austin Powers, Addicted to Love, My Best Friend's Wedding, Money Talks.

Dramas/Dramadies: Donnie Brasco, Selena, Devil's Own, Breakdown, CopLand, GI Jane, LA Confidential, Soul Food, The Edge, The Ice Storm, Kiss the Girls, 7 Years in Tibet, Boogie Nights, Playing God, Red Corner, The Jackal, Rainmaker, Midnight in the Garden of Good/Evil, Good Will Hunting, Murder at 1600, Amistad, The Apostle, Jackie Brown, Kudlun, As Good as it Gets, Wag the Dog.

Sci-Fi/Horror/Other*: The Game, Lost Highway, Conspiracy Theory, Alien Resurrection, Contact, Event Horizon, Mimic, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Devil's Advocate, Gattaca, Life less Ordinary, Scream 2, American Werewolf in Paris, Anaconda.

I know there's not a lot of 'greats' in there, either from a critical, commercial or after-the-fact cult following, but I think some films types ended up overall doing better than others at the time or in the long run. Also, most of them likely had small enough budgets where making even $30-50M wasn't seen as a horrible 'flop'. Kids/Family movies look to have been mostly lackluster performers, the old guard of comedy seemed to be suffering a bit, movies that the 1996/1997 internet movie geek crowd were getting really hyped up for didn't do too well at the time, either.

Still, a lot of interesting stuff I recognize but I am surprised I have yet to see, myself, maybe due to some of the 1997 backlash of mediocre reviews on release.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

God drat there were apparently a lot of total stinkers in 1997.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Even by the standards of Home Alone knockffs that movie was terrible. Even as a kid I recognized how completely justified Mr Wilson was in being mad at the little bastard for almost killing him multiple times and how inappropriately creepy the child-abducting hobo villain that Lloyd played was.

Not only that, but Denis prevents Mr. Wilson and his garden club from seeing some ultra-rare flower bloom that he'll never have a chance of seeing ever again. What a little poo poo.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My go to check-up with these "bad movie" podcasts is to check if they've done Congo, my all time favourite bad film. We Hate Movies only takes 4 episodes to hit that peak so this might be a new favourite podcast of mine :laugh:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

TetsuoTW posted:

God drat there were apparently a lot of total stinkers in 1997.

Still also a lot of stuff that seems like it made it a better year than it seems, though.

Despite either commercial or critical reception in 1997, stuff like Gattaca, Austin Powers, Wag the Dog, Event Horizon, Boogie Nights and Grosse Pointe have sort of developed a following

Overall, though, as I said, when I look at that list, almost none of the really hyped and buzzed films of the year except Titanic and MIB really seemed to do what was expected of them. Pretty much the entire Kids/Family category feels like a wash. Almost none of the action movies were huge successes. Comedies overall seemed like they were weak that year.

Could 1996 been a worse year overall than 1997? It's a year that gives us in theatrically released films, in addition to the relative and real hits of things like ID4, Scream, Ransom, Primal Fear, etc:

Bio-Dome, Two if by Sea, Dunston Checks In, Lawnmower Man 2, Big Bully, The Juror, City Hall, Mr. Wrong, Mary Reilly, Unforgettable, Up Close and Personal, Down Periscope, Homeward Bound II, Executive Decision, Diabolique, Race the Sun, Sgt. Bilko, Fear, The Substitute, Celtic Pride, MST3K, The Quest, Mulholland Falls, The Craft, The Great White Hype, Last Dance, The Pallbearer, Barb Wire, Flipper, Heaven's Prisoners, Spy hard, Dragonheart, The Arrival, The Phantom, The Cable Guy, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Striptease, Courage under fire, Multiplicity, Kazaam, Fled, The Frighteners, Joe's Apartment, Matilda, Chain Reaction, Jack, Escape from LA, House Arrest, The Fan, Bordello of Blood, The Island of Dr. Moreau, Brady Bunch 2, Carpool, First Kid, The Crow:CoA, The Stupids, Bulletproof, Bogus, Maximum Risk, The Rich Man's Wife, Last Man Standing, Extreme Measures, 2 Days in the Valley, Mighty Ducks 3, The Glimmer Man, Crash, The Ghost and the Darkness, The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Chamber, Thinner, The Associate, Larger than LIfe, Dear God, Jingle All the Way, Daylight, Mars Attacks, My Fellow American's, Evita.

Not saying these are bad movies all, many might have been good but just failed to be all that successful, but of the two years it overall 1996 is maybe more disappointing than 1997.

edit: 1996-The 'The...' Year of movies.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 11, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JediTalentAgent posted:

Could 1996 been a worse year overall than 1997?

...Bio-Dome...

Yes.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Darthemed posted:

What other movies do people have in mind for the next stretch of call-ins, besides the later output from everyone involved in Wayne's World?

I'm torn between "Little Monsters", "Theodore Rex" and "Radio Flyer". Their episodes about awful kids' movies are always screamingly funny to me (esp. "Caspar", "Jack Frost", and "One Magic Christmas"), and I haven't seen much discussion about any of these.

(And in the wake of the Animation Damnation episodes about "Captain Planet" and "ProStars", I kind of want to challenge them to survive even just one episode of the New Kids on the Block cartoon.)

E: Hooray! Other people have heard of these movies!

Firstborn posted:

Little Monsters is terrible. That's such a great request.

I swear that movie started life as a straight horror movie that was "softened" for kids (but not enough) at the very last minute because they cast Fred Savage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would love to hear anyone talk about how insane Radio Flyer is.

I need to find that piece of poo poo again because the only proof my sister and I have that this wasn't a shared hallucination is the Roger Ebert review that claims it was the most sought-after unproduced script for years. Forget the WHM episode, I want a Final Cut style oral history now.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 11, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Little Monsters is terrible. That's such a great request.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would love to hear anyone talk about how insane Radio Flyer is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I feel like if WHM ever gets around to doing The Stupids, they'll have a little more fun with it than they expected.