Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

I read somewhere that oldies/classic rock stations only have ~600 songs in rotation.

let an algorithm do the selection and play jingles and ads and you got a really cheap commercial radio station.

In some cases it's even less than that if you look at individual stations. There was an oldies station where I'm from that was literally just a few dozen songs over and over. They were good songs generally but it was really bizarre when you realized it was just the same handful of songs over and over in about the same order.

Then there was the "mix" station that played whatever inoffensive pop songs were popular that week. Maybe I'm cynical but I won't miss terrestrial radio. It was hosed up in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In some cases it's even less than that if you look at individual stations. There was an oldies station where I'm from that was literally just a few dozen songs over and over. They were good songs generally but it was really bizarre when you realized it was just the same handful of songs over and over in about the same order.

Then there was the "mix" station that played whatever inoffensive pop songs were popular that week. Maybe I'm cynical but I won't miss terrestrial radio. It was hosed up in so many ways.

I've seen stations pop up on the AM band around here that actually play a lot of interesting stuff from the 50s, things you'll never hear on a typical "oldies" station, but I don't think they get enough advertising to stay on the air. There was one I used to listen to on the AM-only radio of my Studebaker which just set the perfect tone for that car... then I sold the car and when I went to find the station again a few months later, it had been bought by a Catholic radio network. There's another one that's popped up but I don't know how long it'll last; People nostalgic for the 50s are getting thinner on the ground and who the hell listens to AM anymore now that every lovely smartphone charger ruins your reception?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bigtom posted:

I do wish more stations were manned 24/7 - even just as a training ground for baby DJ's and a safeguard against things going haywire off hours. Even when running a station that could be done in auto, I'd run the board in manual to make me more plugged into the show. My PD at WKXW didn't put seg tones on anything just for that reason - did make for quick trips to the bathroom since you had to put on long songs to be sure.

This reminded me of a story Larry King told about working in radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yD8PzFFNFU

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

bigtom posted:

I do wish more stations were manned 24/7 - even just as a training ground for baby DJ's and a safeguard against things going haywire off hours. Even when running a station that could be done in auto, I'd run the board in manual to make me more plugged into the show. My PD at WKXW didn't put seg tones on anything just for that reason - did make for quick trips to the bathroom since you had to put on long songs to be sure.

Stations who REALLY wanted to could automate everything if they wanted to back in the day - check out the old reel to reel automation systems used in the 60's and 70's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schafer_automation_system

One of my friends told me there was nothing more satisfying than throwing a miscued cart across the studio when it messed up a segue...can't do that with a corrupt AudioVault file

AudioVAULT 9 fo lyfe, yo... I run the automation systems for my cluster, so all the production studios, air studios, analog and digital audio program feeds, advanced digital data stuff like album art and GPS traffic feeds over digital "HD" radio, feeding the streaming hardware, etc. are all my baby,. I also deal with interfacing the programming and traffic people so everything gets played and everybody gets paid. It's an awesome gig I get to work with all the really cool people (we are mostly live, but we do some purely automated stuff and some "voicetracking", where the DJ breaks are pre-recorded), I have zero involvement with the sales weasels, no end user I CAN'T PRINT bullshit support. We've got redundancies on our redundancies and a zillion sensors tied into a monitoring system, so I know about the fall of every sparrow.

The_Raven has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Jun 11, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

axolotl farmer posted:

I read somewhere that oldies/classic rock stations only have ~600 songs in rotation.

I think that's every station.

Periodically I've had access to Sirius when I've rented a car on business travel. I figured "Oh, cool, an 80s station. That's a huge variety of music, maybe they'll play deep cuts off of all those old records instead of just the same hit singles over and over again."

Nope. Commute into work at the same time each day, they play exactly the same hit singles over and over again. 24 hours a day to play 80s music, you will hear "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" multiple times every day and never hear, say, "Witness." They'll play the poo poo out of "Money for Nothing" but never "Ride Across the River." I couldn't figure out what the hell satellite radio is for other than listening to Howard Stern, in terms of the variety of music it's no better than terrestrial genre radio stations. Okay, the genres themselves might be more specialized/obscure but the depth of the playlist doesn't seem any better.

bigtom posted:

Stations who REALLY wanted to could automate everything if they wanted to back in the day - check out the old reel to reel automation systems used in the 60's and 70's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schafer_automation_system

https://vimeo.com/18516240

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Back in the day I was in a fairly well known industrial band, and some dumbshit at our label leaked our next CD about a month before it was to be released.

From several pages ago but this just reminded me again of a quite interesting article I had read about a record plant worker who ended up leaking hundreds of albums onto the net: The Man Who Broke The Music Business.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Phanatic posted:

Periodically I've had access to Sirius when I've rented a car on business travel. I figured "Oh, cool, an 80s station. That's a huge variety of music, maybe they'll play deep cuts off of all those old records instead of just the same hit singles over and over again."

Nope. Commute into work at the same time each day, they play exactly the same hit singles over and over again. 24 hours a day to play 80s music, you will hear "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" multiple times every day and never hear, say, "Witness." They'll play the poo poo out of "Money for Nothing" but never "Ride Across the River." I couldn't figure out what the hell satellite radio is for other than listening to Howard Stern, in terms of the variety of music it's no better than terrestrial genre radio stations. Okay, the genres themselves might be more specialized/obscure but the depth of the playlist doesn't seem any better.

The variety feels worse if you're on a long enough trip. At least with FM you'll be scanning around and even if you run into basically identical stations from the same network, they're at least slightly different (or non-existent, depending). Sirius, though? On a long enough trip you find yourself checking the mile markers to see if you've somehow gone back in time after hearing the same sequence of songs again.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
AM talk radio supremacy

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mrkillboy posted:

From several pages ago but this just reminded me again of a quite interesting article I had read about a record plant worker who ended up leaking hundreds of albums onto the net: The Man Who Broke The Music Business.

quote:

In 1989, when Glover was fifteen, he went to Sears and bought his first computer: a twenty-three-hundred-dollar PC clone with a one-color monitor.

Goddamn, talk about your failed technologies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phanatic posted:

And it cuts out when you go under a bridge!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Goddamn, talk about your failed technologies.

Sears' "catalog and lovely retail location" model is indeed a failed technology.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Phanatic posted:

https://vimeo.com/18516240

Want to listen to the metal station? Hope you like metalcore because it's all we're going to loving play! :suicide:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

This could potentially solve that problem, I've done it more than once for clients in environments that have both wired/wireless but move around a lot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2526067

So far it's worked great - if they're docked or using wired ethernet most of the time, set that adapter to first priority, and set wireless to second. When they undock it'll auto-switch and vice versa, haven't seen an issue (so far).
I came across a while ago and sent it up the line. They did as much to everyone's computers and it kinda solved it but sometimes it still get stuck on the wireless. It happens a lot less in windows 7 than it did in XP. Guessing it has something to do with our network topology at this point? :shrug: I tried either way

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Woolie Wool posted:

Want to listen to the metal station? Hope you like metalcore because it's all we're going to loving play! :suicide:

I've heard Bathory on one of them. Once.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

That's a great story. A lot of the interviews on that youtube channel are really good listening.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I wish I could go back in time and experience the golden age of radio, good heart and soul type local stations with knowledgeable and funny DJs, back when radio was important and relevant. In fact, it would be great to experience the whole growth of radio and then TV, to see it all happening while it was new and amazing.

But perhaps it never really was, maybe it's best left to the rose tinted glasses.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish I could go back in time and experience the golden age of radio, good heart and soul type local stations with knowledgeable and funny DJs, back when radio was important and relevant. In fact, it would be great to experience the whole growth of radio and then TV, to see it all happening while it was new and amazing.

But perhaps it never really was, maybe it's best left to the rose tinted glasses.

In a few generations, they will say the same thing about the Internet~

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

There's currently no way to get a radio license in the US except by buying an existing station--the FCC is not accepting new applications, low-power or otherwise. Currently radio is still commercially lucrative enough that it's pretty drat hard to afford to buy out another station. This is sad, because if it wasn't so expensive we might get more stations that broke the trend of lowest-common-denominator automated playlists. Sure, a lot of them might suck, but I'd rather have a lovely independent station that plays 80s Russian techno and dead air vs. yet another loving Jack FM station.

It would also be cool if they allowed domestic shortwave broadcast again. I'm not sure how well it would work for the average person reception-wise because there is a shitload of RFI these days and nobody really thinks about it because FM radio and cable TV aren't very susceptible. Still, it would be neat to hear actual nation-wide radio broadcasts.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm old enough to have grown up with black-and-white TV that had fewer than a dozen channels*, and I would not ever want to travel back in that direction.

* In the 80s. We were poor.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ruzihm posted:

In a few generations, they will say the same thing about the Internet~

And then we'll rickroll them and they'll just stare at us like we're mad and we'll just nod and say that's what it was like.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

There's currently no way to get a radio license in the US except by buying an existing station--the FCC is not accepting new applications, low-power or otherwise. Currently radio is still commercially lucrative enough that it's pretty drat hard to afford to buy out another station.

The day Clearchannel bought their first station was the day interesting radio died.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

pookel posted:

I'm old enough to have grown up with black-and-white TV that had fewer than a dozen channels*, and I would not ever want to travel back in that direction.

* In the 80s. We were poor.

My parents bought a color TV when I was born* so I missed that particular part, but we definitely only received... let me think... 5 channels. PBS, CBS, ABC, FOX, and NBC in that order from lowest channel to highest; I'm pretty sure PBS was UHF channel 52 and FOX was 64, I remember 64 because it never came in for poo poo unless you hosed around with the antenna.

Frankly everything on satellite is so poo poo that I'd just as soon have those 5 again. We got kids shows on PBS in the morning, CBS evening news, MASH on ABC after that, Star Trek Voyager and DS9 on FOX (TNG reruns on ABC, IIRC), SNL on NBC, and late on Saturday nights they'd show Red Dwarf followed by UK Robot Wars on PBS. We didn't watch much TV, and if there wasn't anything worth watching you'd know in about 30 seconds once you'd flipped through all 5 channels.

These days it's just loving sad whenever I'm in a hotel (I don't pay for cable at home) because there's never anything on. I typically settle for whatever's playing on AMC but even that's not usually very interesting.

* This seems to be a pretty common experience among first-born children

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I tried getting back into radio recently driving my 80s VW. Thought I could get some stations that would play at least something from the period. Straight off the bat any hope of getting a station that plays older pop songs was hopeless, so that limited me to rock. Okay, I don't mind hearing the occasional Boston song, let's give it a try.

There were two stations in the city that would play older rock stuff, and one from out of city but I could get reception but flipped formats. Of those two one was just a generic rock station with old stuff thrown in, so that was real hit or miss. The other one has a garbage mix of songs and the afternoon DJ is obsessed with playing We Will Rock You/We are the Champions so you're good to hear that at least once every two days. The DJ banter is absolute drivel with the worst radio voices ever and I'll frequently switch stations as soon as it comes on.

Oh and for a final pisser I'm in Canada, so there are canadian content requirements.

How radio continues to exist in this country is beyond me.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Keiya posted:

And then we'll rickroll them and they'll just stare at us like we're mad and we'll just nod and say that's what it was like.

Now get off my LAN!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

1500quidporsche posted:

Oh and for a final pisser I'm in Canada, so there are canadian content requirements.

quote:

Following an extensive public hearing process organised by the CRTC, the MAPL system, created by Stan Klees (co-creator of the Juno Award), was adopted in 1971 to define and identify Canadian content in pieces of music for the purposes of increasing exposure of Canadian music on Canadian radio through content regulations governing a percentage (25%) of airplay to be devoted to Canadian music.The percentage was increased to 30% in the 1980s, and to 35% effective January 3, 1999. However, most new commercial radio stations licensed since 1999 have been licensed at 40%.

:canada:
This is one of the funniest things I've ever heard of.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Armacham posted:

:canada:
This is one of the funniest things I've ever heard of.

Its not when every third song is nickelback and you're ready to blow your brains out.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pham Nuwen posted:

My parents bought a color TV when I was born* so I missed that particular part, but we definitely only received... let me think... 5 channels. PBS, CBS, ABC, FOX, and NBC in that order from lowest channel to highest; I'm pretty sure PBS was UHF channel 52 and FOX was 64, I remember 64 because it never came in for poo poo unless you hosed around with the antenna.

If you were really lucky there was also an independent UHF station that showed oddball reruns and movies, so that's six loving channels.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LethalGeek posted:

I came across a while ago and sent it up the line. They did as much to everyone's computers and it kinda solved it but sometimes it still get stuck on the wireless. It happens a lot less in windows 7 than it did in XP. Guessing it has something to do with our network topology at this point? :shrug: I tried either way

All good, at least it somewhat worked :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not to turn this into a four yorkshiremen derail, but.. In Sweden we had a grand total of two channels when I grew up. TV1 and TV2, both of which were state owned channels and as expected mostly showed a bunch of lovely "entertainment", educational programs and politically colored news. My parents lived pretty close to the Danish border however, so with a bigger antenna we could receive two Danish channels as well. If you wanted more you had to get a satellite dish. Cable TV didn't really exist in Sweden until the late 80s.

Fun fact, there was a proposed ban against private ownership of satellite receivers in 1987. This was in response to our first commercial channel (TV3) which circumvented the television law at the time by transmitting from the UK. It got voted down and the television law was changed a few years later.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jun 12, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking of satellite dishes, my friend growing up had one of those enormous international satellite dishes and it was awesome watching all the weird foreign TV it picked up.

I would kill to get one of those now, but I don't have enough property to put it on, if they even still work.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's a reason why my radio dial is soldered to NPR. Once the state's public radio service is on, you'll hear some interesting music during their music block; commercially or independently recorded. I discovered John Prine and a few small artists while listening to Wyoming Morning Music and every once in a while I'd hear The Cure.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I find it depressing that the local "oldies" station plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana, not just because holy poo poo I'm old, but because the actual oldies never get played at all anymore. I realized this when I was sitting at Taco Del Mar and realized that they were playing a steady stream of music from the '50s and '60s. I heard "Chantilly Lace" and got a wave of nostalgia.

I am not always in the mood for Elvis and the Beach Boys and the Supremes, but dammit, there should be ONE station that still plays them.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My parents have sattelite with a bajillion channels but I mostly use Netflix via PS3 to watch MASH (and other things but that's my current binge).

MASH was a really good show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pienipple posted:

My parents have sattelite with a bajillion channels but I mostly use Netflix via PS3 to watch MASH (and other things but that's my current binge).

MASH was a really good show.

I would watch MASH everyday when TVLand had in on in the afternoon and I have the complete series om DVD.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I tried getting back into radio recently driving my 80s VW. Thought I could get some stations that would play at least something from the period. Straight off the bat any hope of getting a station that plays older pop songs was hopeless, so that limited me to rock. Okay, I don't mind hearing the occasional Boston song, let's give it a try.

There were two stations in the city that would play older rock stuff, and one from out of city but I could get reception but flipped formats. Of those two one was just a generic rock station with old stuff thrown in, so that was real hit or miss. The other one has a garbage mix of songs and the afternoon DJ is obsessed with playing We Will Rock You/We are the Champions so you're good to hear that at least once every two days. The DJ banter is absolute drivel with the worst radio voices ever and I'll frequently switch stations as soon as it comes on.

Even back in the "glory days" terrestrial radio mostly sucked. There were plenty of jokes about how every time you turned on the radio you would hear the same song 15 times a day for 3 months. At least there were actual personalities behind the microphones at that time, though.

I haven't really listened to terrestrial radio since I got a smartphone, but around here, outside of NPR and the college stations, they're all just automated systems with different genres. You always new when some station was being transitioned to an automated system because it would become the Christmas music station in December and re-launch as an automated request system after the new year.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would watch MASH everyday when TVLand had in on in the afternoon and I have the complete series om DVD.

Since the digital transition the local networks broadcast sub-channels that play old TV and movies. There is some good stuff on there, but all of the advertising is targeted at older people so the commercial breaks are full of depressing ads for adult diapers and nursing homes.

The_Franz has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Jun 12, 2015

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

Speaking of satellite dishes, my friend growing up had one of those enormous international satellite dishes and it was awesome watching all the weird foreign TV it picked up.

I would kill to get one of those now, but I don't have enough property to put it on, if they even still work.

Still a thing, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4DTV

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

pookel posted:

I find it depressing that the local "oldies" station plays Pearl Jam and Nirvana, not just because holy poo poo I'm old, but because the actual oldies never get played at all anymore. I realized this when I was sitting at Taco Del Mar and realized that they were playing a steady stream of music from the '50s and '60s. I heard "Chantilly Lace" and got a wave of nostalgia.

I am not always in the mood for Elvis and the Beach Boys and the Supremes, but dammit, there should be ONE station that still plays them.

I'm 27, and grew up listening to the tail end of CBS-FM's "golden era" of Harry Harrison, Dan Ingram, Bob Shannon, Cousin Brucie, Don K, Reed (all New York radio legends)- and actual loving 50's & early 60's oldies on the radio. I hate turning on the "classic hits" stations and hearing Cher instead of The Supremes. Sadly, advertisers want 18-49 year olds - so that means Green Day on classic rock stations and Mariah Carey on oldies outlets.

My friend managed to get a LPFM license in Central Jersey, so we launched an oldies station that spans four decades with 5,000 songs in the library (not counting Christmas) - and with the magic of remote voice tracking, I can do the afternoon shift from where I live in NC.

I get why people say radio sucks - hell, many people IN radio will tell you that. But there are some stations out there trying to be different...at least until iHeart Radio or Cumulus buys everyone and automates it from Dallas or Atlanta.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone I"m acquainted with at home in Wyoming seems to think that he can make a career in radio. He's 27-years-old and I don't think anyone really has the heart to tell him that his wife that teaches special education in a town of a few hundred people outside of Cheyenne will have a more lucrative career.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yessss thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is great, I've been listening to these for the past hour or so.