Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sentinel posted:

Pretty much this.
I'm still just ecstatic getting a fourth.

They've definitely had time to learn a lot since 3 and make things a little more improved.
Bethesda is one of the few game companies i have legitimate faith in.
Sperglords can pre-poo poo on it all they want but this games going to be a blast.

It's too late, over the years you've read endless goon discussions and analyses of the Fallout games, it's burned into your brain, you won't be able to genuinely enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sentinel posted:

Pretty much this.
I'm still just ecstatic getting a fourth.

They've definitely had time to learn a lot since 3 and make things a little more improved.
Bethesda is one of the few game companies i have legitimate faith in.
Sperglords can pre-poo poo on it all they want but this games going to be a blast.

edit: Does anyone else buy mexican cokes with real sugar and drink them when playing fallout every time you get a nuka cola in game? or is this just me?

Is Mexicoke the same thing as UK Coke because yes I drink too much of that.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013

Sentinel posted:

edit: Does anyone else buy mexican cokes with real sugar and drink them when playing fallout every time you get a nuka cola in game? or is this just me?

Yes! In fact everytime I have one I think of Nuka Cola.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

It's too late, over the years you've read endless goon discussions and analyses of the Fallout games, it's burned into your brain, you won't be able to genuinely enjoy it.

Speak for yourself. :colbert:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

sout posted:

Is Mexicoke the same thing as UK Coke because yes I drink too much of that.

If its real sugar then yeah that should be the same thing.
Unlike that High Fructose Corn Syrup crap. The White mans poison.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Lambeth posted:

The metro system is exactly as hellish as Fallout 3 depicted it.

Bethesda captured the spirit of it perfectly, except it's not on fire nearly as often as it is in real life.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Yeah there were no more caps in 2. Then 3 brought them back out of nowhere, and then NV put them in as an alternative currency backed by water that happened when the NCR bucks encountered inflation. They also put actual NCR bucks and Legion Cash in the game too so you could at least have the feel that there were other things.

Minor dialogue in Fallout 2 revealed that the money in that game was early NCR bucks being minted though. It makes sense it wouldn't be in Fallout 3 because it's on the other side of the country and they wouldn't even know the NCR exists.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I should replay 3, I only ever did so before broken steel came out. Haven't played any of the FO3 DLCs in fact.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Azhais posted:

I should replay 3, I only ever did so before broken steel came out. Haven't played any of the FO3 DLCs in fact.

Point lookout is off the chain. I really adored the ambiance of that place.
Mothership Zeta is the other one that is HUGE and worth getting.
The rest weren't terribly impressive but still good.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Azhais posted:

Seconding Point Lookout as hard as possible, but I personally didn't like Mothership Zeta that much outside of the cool alien weapons and items.

The Pitt's low-resource scavenging minigame is kind of fun, but otherwise it isn't very good, and Operation Anchorage is just bad.

Edit: VV 'Full of bullet sponges' sadly describes most of Fallout 3's content post-Broken Steel.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 11, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Point Lookout has the atmosphere down but is full of bullet sponges.

None of the rest of the DLCs are really that good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Yeah there were no more caps in 2. Then 3 brought them back out of nowhere, and then NV put them in as an alternative currency backed by water that happened when the NCR bucks encountered inflation. They also put actual NCR bucks and Legion Cash in the game too so you could at least have the feel that there were other things.

I've played an airsoft roleplaying game based on Fallout where you can use any bottle caps as currency, with custom printed Nuka-Cola caps being worth 10. It actually really helps put in perspective what it's like using these coin analogues, where the ridiculous number of caps you spend on unique weapons from the Gun Runners or on house upgrades from Moira is now actually palpable. The Lone Wanderer/Courier is literally handing over lockboxes or cardboard boxes filled with money that weigh enough to beat someone over the head with.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I found the easiest way of dealing with the bullet sponges was to simply open the console, select the creature and use the kill command.

Not really in keeping with sprit of the game but they were a pain in the rear end, wasted a ton of ammo and had no reward for dealing with them legitimately.

I'm not sure why they exist at all except for maybe a clumsy attempt at a speedbump or forcing the player to expend more resources in an attempt to present a challenge. They suck at both.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

computer parts posted:

Its really funny story-wise, but the bullet sponges coupled with having to play tower defense can really make it a chore.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The double barrel didn't live up to expectations either as tribals or swamp folk were likely to walk through your gun and avoid getting hit. Creepers could snipe you to poo poo with it though.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Reasons to play the FO3 DLCs:

Operation Anchorage: Gauss Rifle, power armor earlier in the game than the main plot gives you.
Point Lookout: Backwater Rifle
The Pitt: Metal Blaster, Infiltrator
Mothership Zeta: Novasurge
Broken Steel: Beats the gently caress out of me. Getting to screw around after the main story?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh I thought I was alone with the whole "Nuka-Cola, Mexi-Coke" thing.

Does anybody break open a cyalume and add just a dash of the stuff to a Mexi-Coke (or frankly a Mountain Dewshine works better because it's actually clear and will glow)? It's basically like a Nuka-Cola Quartz/Victory/Whatever.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do you actually drink a coke every time you have one in-game because that sounds like a really bad idea.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

sout posted:

Do you actually drink a coke every time you have one in-game because that sounds like a really bad idea.

Diabetes. Diabetes never changes.

computer parts posted:

None of the rest of the DLCs are really that good.

The Pitt's pretty good. It's actually got some moral shades of grey to its central story, it's got the freedom you don't get from the corridor shooter DLCs, and the enemies aren't as bullet spongey as Point Lookout, which is still my favorite of the DLCs.

SRM fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 11, 2015

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

sout posted:

Hardcore mode: Jet.

On that note, I thought Myron invented Jet in Fallout 2. How did it become so prevalent on the east coast so quickly?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

sout posted:

I've been kicking around a New Vegas run where I have to drink beer and liquor any time I find it. Have to immediately drink it. Can't try to avoid finding it. If I see it, I have to put it in my inventory and drink it. I think it would work out well for a Yes Man run.

But not drugs. My character may be a wino, but he has a code.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

I've been kicking around a New Vegas run where I have to drink beer and liquor any time I find it. Have to immediately drink it. Can't try to avoid finding it. If I see it, I have to put it in my inventory and drink it. I think it would work out well for a Yes Man run.

But not drugs. My character may be a wino, but he has a code.

Yeah, in my recent playthrough I've just been carrying round one/two of every type of alcohol to reduce my chances of addiction, I'm the Noah of booze.

[I sounded pretty harsh in my other comment but I've probably had a very unhealthy amount of Cokes in one day before so no judging]

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Filthy Casual posted:

On that note, I thought Myron invented Jet in Fallout 2. How did it become so prevalent on the east coast so quickly?

Bethesda.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sout posted:

Yeah, in my recent playthrough I've just been carrying round one/two of every type of alcohol to reduce my chances of addiction, I'm the Noah of booze.
In both Fallout 3 and New Vegas alcohol has a flat chance of addiction so you will always have the chance to be addicted on the first use, the regular drugs have a safe first dose.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

In both Fallout 3 and New Vegas alcohol has a flat chance of addiction so you will always have the chance to be addicted on the first use, the regular drugs have a safe first dose.

Oh well, might as well start chugging constantly then.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Get addicted, meet Cass and decide to get clean. She gets killed by the Van Graffs. Fall off the wagon for good.

I'm going to make this my Fallout 4 approach. I always play a stealth character first. I bet it'll be tough playing drunk stealth. New wrinkle.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 11, 2015

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm going to make this my Fallout 4 approach. I always play a stealth character first. I bet it'll be tough playing drunk stealth. New wrinkle.

Its not bad IRL, you can drink while you wait for the sneakometer to go back to [Hidden].

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think this is the actual reason. There's no explanation given for Jet showing up on the East Coast, so you just kinda have to guess that in the decades it made its way across the country. Same with conveniently using Nuka-Cola caps as currency like in the first Fallout.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

gently caress yes this is like the dictionary defninition of 'not even once'

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Also the Rock-it launcher was silly fun.

The Rock-it launcher is pretty much the perfect description of Fallout 3. If you were going to have fun, you were going to have to build it up yourself from a bunch of components from across the wasteland, and the best thing it could do is just spit out a bunch of random garbage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grinning Goblin posted:

The Rock-it launcher is pretty much the perfect description of Fallout 3. If you were going to have fun, you were going to have to build it up yourself from a bunch of components from across the wasteland, and the best thing it could do is just spit out a bunch of random garbage.

Using Bloody Mess while wearing Lincoln's hat and using only the Rock-It Launcher firing pre-war money was pretty fun at the time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I always thought it was a missed opportunity that the Rock-It Launcher couldn't launch frag mines or grenades.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

SRM posted:

I always thought it was a missed opportunity that the Rock-It Launcher couldn't launch frag mines or grenades.

I could swear somebody made a mod for that. The mines and grenades didn't explode you just pummeled people to death with them.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Minor dialogue in Fallout 2 revealed that the money in that game was early NCR bucks being minted though. It makes sense it wouldn't be in Fallout 3 because it's on the other side of the country and they wouldn't even know the NCR exists.

It's not just minor dialog. Like, the whole reason Redding exists as a town is to mine gold for the new mints that have started up. That's why the three factions are all trying so hard to take control of it. I'm not sure if there's a "canon" ending for Redding, but the Fallout wiki seems to think they joined the NCR (I guess Hanlon's from there?), but I'm not sure I trust them. Anyway, at some point between games, the NCRs gold currency collapsed and they had to switch to paper dollars (I think someone says the BoS destroyed their gold reserves during the war). Gold does still appear to be valuable (I know because I got multiple addictions trying to haul like 30 Sierra Madre ingots), so Redding is probably still around, but it might not matter as much who's controlling it.

A lot of the Fallout 2 endings are left ambiguous in New Vegas. It's not at all clear how much of the north NCR controls, or even how many states they have. A data disk in Fallout 2 establishes them as having five states: Shady (in the high desert near the Nevada border, includes the capitol, Shady Sands, as well as Junktown and maybe the Squat), Dayglow (Ghoul-inhabited San Diego), Angel's Boneyard/Los Angeles, Maxson (built around the Brotherhood base in the Lost Hills/Tehachapi area, it's unclear how far west it extends or what happened to it during the Brotherhoold War), and Hub (The Hub/Barstow. Maybe Necropolis/Bakersfield as well). The Wiki lists Arroyo, Klamath, Redding, and Vault City as having joined as states, but provides absolutely no evidence for this and I think it's just some idiot fan assuming more than is reasonable from the Fallout 2 ending slides (all four communities have slides where they join, but it's unclear when or if those events will happen). I'm inclined based on dialog to think Vault City at least is still independent (the others may or may not be NCR territories), also would make no sense for NCR to have annexed two states in Oregon, but not most of the territory in between. There's a quote I can't track down (might not actually be in-game) about the Mojave being a potential "sixth state" for the NCR, which would suggest that Shady is actually still their northernmost state, but a lot of stuff about the NCR is actually super unclear. Like, there isn't even an official map anywhere.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Did Bethesda ever explain why they never go back in time with a new game, only forwards? Because while it makes sense for a series like TES, where there is so much documented history in-universe that doing a prequel becomes a huge clusterfuck, Fallout has enough blank spaces on the map where nothing is known that they could easily turn the dial back some years.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

Did Bethesda ever explain why they never go back in time with a new game, only forwards? Because while it makes sense for a series like TES, where there is so much documented history in-universe that doing a prequel becomes a huge clusterfuck, Fallout has enough blank spaces on the map where nothing is known that they could easily turn the dial back some years.

I think the reason I was never bothered by the "200 years" thing in Fallout 3 was because I didn't pay attention to the dates very closely.

But yeah it's dumb, I wonder if they forced Obsidian to adopt 2281 for NV for the same reason, but it's funny how they will only advance the date a couple of years to try and slow the rate at which post-apocalypsia becomes more and more absurd.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this is the actual reason. There's no explanation given for Jet showing up on the East Coast, so you just kinda have to guess that in the decades it made its way across the country. Same with conveniently using Nuka-Cola caps as currency like in the first Fallout.

I guess if anything would make it that far across the country, in that large of quantities, it would be crack.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

SunAndSpring posted:

Probably because then they don't have to worry as much about ret-cons.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Going forwards in time, seeing how the people adapt, the wasteland develops and expanding the setting that way is a lot more interesting anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Filthy Casual posted:

I guess if anything would make it that far across the country, in that large of quantities, it would be crack.

Well this is exactly how it works in other countries which do not produce their own drugs.

• Locked thread