Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, I have about 7k in levies in my capital, so they were able to hang on long enough for everyone else to dogpile my shitlord brother.
He's currently in prison while I debate what to do next. 500 gold would be nice, but he'd be a great Council member again. Plus, I'd quite like to seduce his wife

Plan to assassinate him while in jail, as the plot fires banish him and take his gold. Enjoy as you get a message that he died on the way out of jail.

garth ferengi posted:

geheimnisnacht is really good

I decided to do a lore-bending game as a tomb king sworn to Khorne in that mod. It actually ended up being really fun because the tomb kings will never convert to your religion and you can't give them landed titles, so you had to do really tricky things to keep your demesne limit under control or else you'd lose your army and get dogpiled because you're basically Satan.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
This may sound weird, but do you guys also have periods where you do...nothing? Right now I'm waiting for some kids to grow up so I can marry them and get some new claims etc. Everyone around me is too strong to try and take over, I don't like shipping my armies over the world to take some small piece of land. So at the moment I'm just waiting/keeping vassals happy.
But, I get the feeling (from all the LPs I've watched) that I should be plotting/stabbing people/expanding/planning stuff 24/7. Declaring a war on the last day of a war I win etc. I just don't do that.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

beedeebee posted:

This may sound weird, but do you guys also have periods where you do...nothing? Right now I'm waiting for some kids to grow up so I can marry them and get some new claims etc. Everyone around me is too strong to try and take over, I don't like shipping my armies over the world to take some small piece of land. So at the moment I'm just waiting/keeping vassals happy.
But, I get the feeling (from all the LPs I've watched) that I should be plotting/stabbing people/expanding/planning stuff 24/7. Declaring a war on the last day of a war I win etc. I just don't do that.

No, that's completely normal. Sometimes you just gotta let the clock run.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

garth ferengi posted:

I was wondering how that mod handled cross-race marriages/children. I'm guessing by this screenshot that it pretty much doesn't.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I was wondering how that mod handled cross-race marriages/children. I'm guessing by this screenshot that it pretty much doesn't.

When you start you choose between "Don't gently caress goblins" and "Yes I want to do that"

Orv
May 4, 2011

beedeebee posted:

That's just how you know the LPer has played a lot of CK2 and knows what to show. Keep a close eye on the date ranges in Paradox LPs and they tell a very different story.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

beedeebee posted:

Yeah there's a reason why a lot of CK2 LPs are screenshot based rather than video. The thing about "strategy" (as opposed to "tactics" which is a more appropriate description for most RTS games) is that it's mostly about setting up conditions for a long term goal and then waiting for it to play out, making adjustments/back-up plans along the way. It is absolutely normal to just sit there on speed 4/5 for a while just waiting for events to fire and not really doing anything significant - especially if you're playing a Christian character (other religions tend to be a bit more action-packed because you have so many targets available and tend to have conquest CBs that basically allow you to invade a neighbour for no reason).

Once you've set up betrothals/marriages for your current generation, there really isn't a lot much else you can do except wait around for kids to be born or people to die to pass on claims. You can probably kill some time fabricating a claim or two but after a while that ends up not really being worth the trouble since expanding by a single county won't really do much for you once you're a king or queen (leave that to your vassals). That's one of the reasons why way of life added little social options like carousing or spying on people - it gives you something quick and relatively low risk to do while you're waiting on bigger plans to fall into place. If your current focus doesn't really suit sitting around and waiting for a while, then it makes a lot of sense to switch to something like carousing or seducing or hunting to give you something to do while the years roll by.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Crusader Kings 2 is my chillout game. I play it on Speed 2 and if nothing's going on, I just talk to some friends on Skype and click around the map to see if anything interesting is going on elsewhere in the little world.

EDIT: This leads to me saying random things in my skype chats, such as "Oh, poo poo, I just died" or "That mother fucker just murdered my mom!"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
So I take it that the stability of huge blobs is one of the main issues with the game? My game has The HRE and the Byzantines about where you'd expect them, Fatimids cover most of Saudi Arabia-Egypt, Perm covers half of Russia, the Ilkhanate is huge, Poland has gobbled up half of Scandinavia and most strikingly, Hispania has taken over France entirely, covers the whole Peninsula and is now expanding into Africa. I take I'm not likely to see any breakaways from this? It seems like any revolts are more concerned with gaining the throne or lower crown authority than independence.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

So I take it that the stability of huge blobs is one of the main issues with the game? My game has The HRE and the Byzantines about where you'd expect them, Fatimids cover most of Saudi Arabia-Egypt, Perm covers half of Russia, the Ilkhanate is huge, Poland has gobbled up half of Scandinavia and most strikingly, Hispania has taken over France entirely, covers the whole Peninsula and is now expanding into Africa. I take I'm not likely to see any breakaways from this? It seems like any revolts are more concerned with gaining the throne or lower crown authority than independence.
Play as top tier liege, do "Event 91000" maybe 2 or 3 times.

garth ferengi posted:

Wait, you can still mark people as characters of special interest????

HOW????

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

HOW????

It's in the diplomacy menu IIRC. I think it's the star button at the top?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Play as top tier liege, do "Event 91000" maybe 2 or 3 times.

HOW????

Learn to right-click scrub

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grats on winning the thread civil war. All hail new thread!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Long live the thread!

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I thought seduction was supposed to be nerfed!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
-New Thread gains +1% moral authority.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Grats on winning the thread civil war. All hail new thread!
Pfffft, they just closed the other thread, that's some scrub level "Imprison" cheating.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I bought this game, but i dont know if i want to play it now that i've seen that skeletons mod that was never finished.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's 50% off, should I buy it? :ohdear:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Shortest Path posted:

Huh, if I remember correctly it usually goes on sale when the new DLC comes out, so maybe you should wait? But I'm not 100% sure.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Pfffft, they just closed the other thread, that's some scrub level "Imprison" cheating.

I think they used the console, actually. I didn't see any warscore ticking up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Are there any start dates/realms where you begin as a child with a regency?

I realize most people hate regencies but I enjoy how they manage to bungle everything. Could be interesting if I couldn't start enacting the master plan right off the bat.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This may have since been patched out, but I was able to instantly win a war against a revolting vassal.

If you Spy On them, from time to time you get an event to kidnap them. I was plotting to revoke this guy's title anyway and figured sure, why not. It succeeds and he's sitting in my dungeon which gave me enough plot power to issue the demand to revoke the county I wanted. For some reason he refused and revolted, but since he was already imprisoned the warscore started at 100% in my favor. So I win the war, which forced me to release him. But since he was a traitor I had cause to re-imprison him. So I do that. And also due to him being a traitor I get to revoke another one of his titles without penalty.

I did notice a condition for declaring war that the target cannot be imprisoned by you but I guess it doesn't go the other way.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
So you cant form Britannia as the Vikings?
Goddamnit, I shouldve checked the requirements before starting on a "conquer britannia" campaign as the white shirt.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Captain Beans posted:

Are there any start dates/realms where you begin as a child with a regency?

I realize most people hate regencies but I enjoy how they manage to bungle everything. Could be interesting if I couldn't start enacting the master plan right off the bat.

I think 1066 France starts in a regency.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Shrinkage posted:

So you cant form Britannia as the Vikings?
Goddamnit, I shouldve checked the requirements before starting on a "conquer britannia" campaign as the white shirt.

Nevermind, it turns out you have to have 2 kingdom titles before you can create any empire.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

All the DLC is in the summer sale, I only have Way of Life. Is it all only worthwhile if you actually want to play as the people involved? Tempted by Charlemange just for the start date.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Walton Simons posted:

All the DLC is in the summer sale, I only have Way of Life. Is it all only worthwhile if you actually want to play as the people involved? Tempted by Charlemange just for the start date.

The start date sucks. It only makes AI blobs blob even blobbier. I mean, the entirety of western Europe sans Iberia is under only two kingdom titles.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Ah, I might not bother in that case.

One weird thing I've notice is that 'leading troops in' doesn't seem to work very well. In one of my many wars with Scotland I noticed that the king was leading troops in Iceland. I sent some guys over, killed the army there, no notification of capture, hover over him and he's teleported to the Firth of Forth. What gives?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Walton Simons posted:

Ah, I might not bother in that case.

One weird thing I've notice is that 'leading troops in' doesn't seem to work very well. In one of my many wars with Scotland I noticed that the king was leading troops in Iceland. I sent some guys over, killed the army there, no notification of capture, hover over him and he's teleported to the Firth of Forth. What gives?

Defeating a king in battle doesn't always mean a kill/capture.

Its a roll of the dice like it always has been.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I bought this game, but i dont know if i want to play it now that i've seen that skeletons mod that was never finished.

My friend have you heard of tomb kings

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I think 1066 France starts in a regency.

Incidentally 1066 France often gets quickly gobbled up by the HRE

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Which one of the portrait packs makes the characters look terrible? Was it the Mediterranean one?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Defeating a king in battle doesn't always mean a kill/capture.

Its a roll of the dice like it always has been.

Ah, cool, so it's still worth a shot if I have the spare troops.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Clanpot Shake posted:

This may have since been patched out, but I was able to instantly win a war against a revolting vassal.

If you Spy On them, from time to time you get an event to kidnap them. I was plotting to revoke this guy's title anyway and figured sure, why not. It succeeds and he's sitting in my dungeon which gave me enough plot power to issue the demand to revoke the county I wanted. For some reason he refused and revolted, but since he was already imprisoned the warscore started at 100% in my favor. So I win the war, which forced me to release him. But since he was a traitor I had cause to re-imprison him. So I do that. And also due to him being a traitor I get to revoke another one of his titles without penalty.

I did notice a condition for declaring war that the target cannot be imprisoned by you but I guess it doesn't go the other way.

Spy On is bonkers good because of that event, you can take over any neighboring higher level title by marrying a woman with a claim, swearing fealty, then imprisoning the ruler. No one seems to care if you've got the heir to the byzantine empire in your cells.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Spakstik posted:

Which one of the portrait packs makes the characters look terrible? Was it the Mediterranean one?

They updated that one.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Node posted:

The start date sucks. It only makes AI blobs blob even blobbier. I mean, the entirety of western Europe sans Iberia is under only two kingdom titles.

It absolutely never lasts though. Charles AI is terrible at forming the HRE (I've seen it happen all of once), and he never lasts long enough to change the inheritance away from Gavelkind, so it's going to quickly splinter into west/mid/east Francia and tends to become a huge clusterfuck. The bigger issue with the start date is the huge Abbasid and Umayyad blobs in the east and west. The Umayyads aren't insurmountable but will probably take over the Iberian peninsula. The Abbasids are just insane though. If they don't crush the Byzantines they'll go all the way over to India.

Tribals are pretty cool; playing as a Norse merchant republic is amazing. I think it's worth getting but the start date does have issues.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Whats this I hear about a MOTHERFUCKING MONGOL ORIENTED EXPANSION? And the borderline certitude that this means a MOTHERFUCKING MONGOL ORIENTED EXPANSION is next in line for EU4 because paradox likes to line up their regionally themed xpacs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
I just started playing a merchant republic.

I know I want to connect my trade zones, but should I go for 100% control in each? E.g. I have 3/5 trade posts with the 2 other not built. But the trade zone next to that is more valuable. Should I go for 100% control (5/5) or try to gain control of the more valuable trade zone next to it?

• Locked thread