Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Rest in peace Randy Savage and Biggus Dickus. Two great goon heros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, they are easy. Use the starvation method as posted in this thread and you I could tame one in less than half an hour.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Where's that guide again?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I found a hilarious bug(?) with taming. If you knock out a dino underwater, it'll start losing oxygen and drowning while unconscious. Drowning apparently makes you super loving hungry super quickly. Tamed a bunch of dilos in literal seconds once I figured that out. Stuff automatically wakes up once they are tamed so no need to worry about your new pet dying, it'll start treading water once it is your bud. Managed to set up a base next to an awesome lake so it is fairly easy for me to kite things into the middle of it for aquatherapy.

Haven't tried it on anything larger, I'll try to make a raptor pass out underwater and see how that goes. I'll try a parasaur too. I'm worried that non-dilo critters may die from the drowning before they finish taming.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

futile posted:

Yeah I understand the appeal of large goon groups accomplishing things but in a game where there's a 70 player max, goonrushing is kind of detrimental.
This is highly misleading because the most playing at any time tends between ten to twenty goons, and not always together. Also see here:

Picer posted:

The fact that we are a zerg do not mean that its a cakewalk. Higher lvled smaller tribes are clever, they have and will gently caress us up.

At the same time, since we are so many in different timezones, its a hell of alot faster to group and rebuild.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 11, 2015

HBPrince
Feb 22, 2012

DrSeRRoD posted:

Don't they require a ton of resources to tame (comparing to say, a dilo or dodo)? Someone in the game chat told me about 40 narcotics and 60 meats. Seems like you will need to tame a (few?) dilo(s), tons of meat and narcotics, and then you can tame a raptor successfully. I think I am up to about 7 narcotics after 2 days of low play time so seems like it might take quite a while for us casulols.

I had tamed a lvl 7 raptor without taming any other raptor types previously. Took about 20-25 meat and maybe about 30-40 narco berries...I'm not sure of exact count. It took about 30min and I was not prepped--I ran around getting narco & meat around him. This was before the bow melee nerf so I was able to get meat fairly easily...so probably prepare for that before you try it. You can see the taming process here: http://www.twitch.tv/oedipial/b/667238988?t=2h33m45s

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

YOTC posted:

Please don't break it. I may have time due to unemployment but the likelihood I could fix it again after building that monstrosity is like 5%.

I have bad news for you. Pipes degrade over time just like every other building. That thing is going to be a nightmare to repair. Imagine what will happen if even one segment dies. :stonk:

Edit: Also I appear to be unable to get on. Apparently the server version is older than the client version.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

If anyone is able to do this favor for me that would be great! :shobon:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725285#post446428720

I think I logged out in the wrong part of the cave and it loads all the way and then resets back to the start menu, only happening on that server.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

If anyone is able to do this favor for me that would be great! :shobon:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725285#post446428720

I think I logged out in the wrong part of the cave and it loads all the way and then resets back to the start menu, only happening on that server.

Check the version number of the server versus the one your game client has. I had something similar since the patch. If it's different I think it'll get fixed about in an hour. They're doing maintenance on the servers then.

Edit: Game just downloaded a new patch. Game version increased from 172.5 to 172.6. No clue on what was in it though. Checking it out now to see if it handles the login issues.

Edit 2: No fix for the login issues. I may need to have my unconscious character moved. :stonk:

On the plus side the new patch appears to have added modding support. Seeing the workshop available now.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 11, 2015

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Does anyone else have hell trying to get a mic to work in this game? My headset works fine in Teamspeak, Mumble and windows sound recorder, but refuses to work in Ark. It's as if running the game disables my microphone. Pressing B I can see the mic icon on my HUD but no one around me sees the icon over my head and no sound comes through. It's really frustrating trying to talk to a random guy next to you while typing in global only.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Prophecy120 posted:

Does anyone else have hell trying to get a mic to work in this game? My headset works fine in Teamspeak, Mumble and windows sound recorder, but refuses to work in Ark. It's as if running the game disables my microphone. Pressing B I can see the mic icon on my HUD but no one around me sees the icon over my head and no sound comes through. It's really frustrating trying to talk to a random guy next to you while typing in global only.

Make sure "exclusive" mode in windows audio settings is off for your mic. Also make sure the mic is actually set as default device. No setup options within client = 100% of setup has to happen externally.

Btw, thanks to the goon who helped me set up music playback through ingame proximity chat. Gonna abuse the gently caress out of that to cause pubbie rage.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

sushibandit posted:

Btw, thanks to the goon who helped me set up music playback through ingame proximity chat. Gonna abuse the gently caress out of that to cause pubbie rage.

If you do that around me i will tranq you, stuff feces down your throat and feed you to the closest dodo!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Picer posted:

If you do that around me i will tranq you, stuff feces down your throat and feed you to the closest dodo!

Wait till he walks up behind you while you are doing a little harvesting and set off that drat alarm.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I'm swapping it out for something a bit more horrifying instead of surprising. Stay tuned.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Goku powering up.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Tribe of TwatHammer Khaos LiferaNICOTINE tamed another new friend today:

And then getting the bastard inside our new cave:

But then, finally:

Meet tumblr hottie:

hi qt <3

She enjoys deep diving in megalodon infested waters:

Who also happens to have superman lungs and found an underwater cave!

She also enjoys a good pearl necklace, which these are happy to provide:

And when things get heated, it's nice to have a lot of oil around:

This corner is magical and instantly fills the room with water!

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 11, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Just a FYI but apparently the cave base is broken for some goons. Reposting from the other topic what I found:

quote:

I got in just fine thanks to a goon murdering me. Didn't respawn in the cave base and I had no problems.

The only other thing I can think of that could be causing it would be the massive pipe setup. It's a long shot, but maybe there's a loading issue due to all the poo poo it has to load in that chunk? I'll try to respawn at the cave base after suiciding to see if it works now.

Edit: Okay. Yeah. Suicided by drowning. Respawned in the cave. Immediately lost all responsiveness in my hunger/02/stamina/etc/etc bar. I could not interact with the NPC's or objects. I tried drowning myself again in the deep cave and promptly discovered that 02 is not going down.

So which of you goony fuckers broke the drat cave? :argh:

Apparently the cave desyncs some goons now when they spawn or log into it. Like several other goons I also cannot log in now and get booted back to the menu. As a result I need someone to kill Biceratops so I can respawn elsewhere. He'll probably be on one of the beds.

No clue as to the actual cause. Maybe it's something that was introduced this patch? Someone should probably bother the devs about this either way.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 11, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Archonex posted:

I have bad news for you. Pipes degrade over time just like every other building. That thing is going to be a nightmare to repair. Imagine what will happen if even one segment dies. :stonk:

Edit: Also I appear to be unable to get on. Apparently the server version is older than the client version.

Nothing degrades in PvP servers as far as I'm aware, it's all persistent until and unless some kind soul comes by to smash the poo poo out of it.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

GenericOverusedName posted:

I found a hilarious bug(?) with taming. If you knock out a dino underwater, it'll start losing oxygen and drowning while unconscious. Drowning apparently makes you super loving hungry super quickly. Tamed a bunch of dilos in literal seconds once I figured that out. Stuff automatically wakes up once they are tamed so no need to worry about your new pet dying, it'll start treading water once it is your bud. Managed to set up a base next to an awesome lake so it is fairly easy for me to kite things into the middle of it for aquatherapy.

Haven't tried it on anything larger, I'll try to make a raptor pass out underwater and see how that goes. I'll try a parasaur too. I'm worried that non-dilo critters may die from the drowning before they finish taming.

Is there a trick to doing this? Maybe it only works on small dinosaurs? I tried this with a Carno underwater and the hunger barely dropped and he drown and died about 10% into the tame.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I haven't tried it on anything larger than a dilo yet. It may have been fixed in the patch last night as well, I need to get home from work to try it out again.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
has anyone noticed a MASSIVE difficulty spike over the last day? I was hanging out at my base yesterday joking with some people about how incredibly safe my area was. Hardly any foot traffic and very few dinos. Just a few hours later the whole loving area is just SWARMING with dinos. Like easily 5x as many dinos as before. Unfortunately this came at a time where I was taking every single thing I own to another location. This was an easy walk, one I'd done plenty of times before. It's just a little stroll on the beach, might find a dilo or a level 3 raptor or something. This time though, it takes me like over an hour to even get 500 feet out of my door because of the constant, relentless attacks. I managed to tame a scorpion and a dilo during this to help me out, and boy they sure did. Cue even longer to leave because both my pets keep getting stuck on poo poo and I have to go back and get them.

Ok, so to get there I just have to walk along this river. I turn the corner and there's two t-rexes hangin out. One is pretty weird, but two? Simply unheard of in this part of the world. So now I have to take an alternate route. Inch by loving inch I go down that river. I fought more dinos that day than I had altogether up to that point. Just a whir of stone tools and punches. After loving hours I get killed by a group of like 5 dilos at about the halfway point. Somehow neither of my pets decided to defend me so they lived, and I managed to get my corpse. Phew! And the route I took to get my corpse is the same route I will take to get to my destination, and it was clear as day! At least, until I started back up. That's when I ran across a wood shack. It's locked up, there's someone in there. His door is at 4000 and I have 3 metal tools. Might as well add to the pile! So I start wailing on the door when all of a sudden it says that I personally murdered my own scorpion. What a punch to the dick. And thanks to this durability bug, my tools all broke before I could get the door down. I felt like a loving retard. Also my scorpion can carry 200 lbs so I had to leave some stuff behind.

After an hour or so more of slow progress, seeing many carnos and multiple T-Rexes, finally a Carno comes up behind me and ends my miserable life. He waits five minutes to kill my dilo. However, when I get back there is no corpse or bag to be found. I went straight there, and as I mentioned earlier I died farther away than that before and was able to make it there. I stayed right along the water the entire time specifically to avoid this scenario.

So, back to square one :smithicide:

I want to love this game, and I do love this game, and I know you shouldn't get attached to things in survival games, but gently caress I can't help but feel that I failed due to the bugs. If I hadn't mysteriously killed my scorpion I would have been going along the clear path I mentioned. Then the durability bug that destroys all of my tools. And then finally my corpse vanishing. I had quite a nice little stash of stolen goods going, including a pistol that I never got to use :(

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

sushibandit posted:

How do you do this?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

lilspooky posted:

How do you do this?

simple version (if you have problems I can't really help)

1) download/install virtual audio cable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Audio_Cable
2) set default windows playback device to virtual line 1
3) set default windows recording device to virtual line 1
4) open media player of choice, set output to default device (virtual 1)
5) load up something annoying and set it to repeat
6) ???
7) profit!

(make sure to update mumble settings to use your now-non-default mic input so you don't spam music in mumble and get kicked/banned)

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Have they said anything about increasing server limits in the future? I installed this yesterday and tried to get on Server 40 but it was full at 70/70 the whole time I was on.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Dez Orwell posted:

Have they said anything about increasing server limits in the future? I installed this yesterday and tried to get on Server 40 but it was full at 70/70 the whole time I was on.

It was mentioned a few days after launch that within a few weeks, they planned to up the server pop count. I'm hopeful that they'll have some server side updates in by then to help it out. Some more hardware would help too if they truly are running multiple server instances on a single cpu.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
They said that in the coming weeks once things have improved they plan to have servers be 100 pop count.

Question

As far as wooden walls go, what all can damage them? I know some dino's like the Trike can, metal hatchet/pick can. Can all animals knock them down? Had a guy on a scorpion near my base and I was worried.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Tony Montana posted:

Nah, they are easy. Use the starvation method as posted in this thread and you I could tame one in less than half an hour.

Reddit spergs verified that time to tame remains the same when starving them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I played for the first time last night and learned the ropes. Got eaten a few times by giant dinos, punched some trees and made some tools, and then found a guys hut and poo poo all over the floor. Then a found a naked man trying to catch a dodo, so I crept up behind him, knocked him out, dragged his body to the water, and fed him to an alligator dino. Am I prepared for server 40?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

SweetBro posted:

Reddit spergs verified that time to tame remains the same when starving them.

There's a quick way to starve them to cut the time in half or more, apparently.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

lilspooky posted:

They said that in the coming weeks once things have improved they plan to have servers be 100 pop count.

Question

As far as wooden walls go, what all can damage them? I know some dino's like the Trike can, metal hatchet/pick can. Can all animals knock them down? Had a guy on a scorpion near my base and I was worried.

Scorpions and Raptors can not damage wooden walls, only thatch.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
That's good to know, thanks!

Here is more Reddit spergery about torpor, scorps, and harvesting.

http://imgur.com/a/isYiU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lilspooky posted:

Question

I tamed a Stego today and levelled the base of a bunch of Russian monkeys (their tribe was literally Russian Monkeys). One of them saw us do it and have sworn bloody vengeance, so I took our metal tools and stashed them with a bed on the other side of the island in case they blow our base up overnight so we have a decent starting point.

Stego's are absurdly good at destroying wooden structures and they have a huge aoe attack, plus they only take like an hour or so to tame. Trike's are alright but they take a while to knock down a wall so you'd be best off using it to smash a door and then walk in and murder. If you want to level a base entirely you're gonna need something heavier though.

Archonex posted:

There's a quick way to starve them to cut the time in half or more, apparently.

Feed them stim berries to bring their food levels down. It also decreases torpor though so you're trading more narkoberries for quicker taming but if you have a trike it's not so bad.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 11, 2015

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Here is a twitch vid of some dude interviewing one of the devs and he answers a lot of questions and explains quite a bit. I haven't watched all of it (it's 4 hours long but I dunno if he interviews him the whole time, I'd be amazed if that was the case). He's currently touching on torpor and taming.

http://www.twitch.tv/tangentgaming/v/6048922

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Dez Orwell posted:

It just says its full. Keep trying repeatedly. I usually get on in like 10 tries of refresh/join.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

So someone told me I can mark my map 2 hours into my trek of being lost, which was great but a bit late. On the 3rd hour, I finally found my house again (I went out Raptor seeking). How can I find the coordinates to my house and mark it on my map, or even wherever I am in general? It seems like there is no sense of direction at all so I went the wrong way for a good hour+ only to realize it when more of my map book was suddenly discovered. How is a compass not a lvl 1 Engram???

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 11, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DrSeRRoD posted:

So someone told me I can mark my map 2 hours into my trek of being lost, which was great but a bit late. On the 3rd hour, I finally found my house again (I went out Raptor seeking). How can I find the coordinates to my house and mark it on my map, or even wherever I am in general? It seems like there is no sense of direction at all so i went the wrong way for a good hour+ only to realize it when more of my map book was suddenly discovered. How is a compass not a lvl 1 Engram???

Basically you navigate by landmarks and the big glowing obelisks that exist at 3 points on the map. Find a spot with a decent view and locate two of the obelisks and figure out your location from that. Eventually you'll get to know the island and you'll be able to find your way around inland, until then I suggest sticking to the coasts. I've lived next to the green beacon for a week now and it's a super navigation friendly area because of the southern island and big rivers.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Strotski posted:

Open cmd and type ipconfig /flushdns, see if that fixes it, it did for me

After flushing DNS, I can no longer see any of the non-EU official servers in the Steam server thingamabob. Loads of unofficial ones, though.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, as far as navigation, when you're low level your best bet is to stick to coasts, rivers, and the big visible stuff like mountains or obelisks. You can eventually craft a compass that helps quite a bit (it's like level 30? Maybe 25?), at there's a super-late item for exact location (GPS, i think it's 55/60). If you stick to the same general area stuff gets pretty recognizable, and especially once you deforest/derock everything.

edit: and that stream from above is super interesting, these devs just seem like super good and intelligent dudes.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 11, 2015

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Yea, I ventured out to look for a raptor. I ended up walking for nearly an hour before I finally found one and managed to get it stuck on someone's house and pelted his face to unconsciousness. I was lvl 13, he was 20, so I didn't want to risk death. I'm glad I got one, and am 1 level away from saddle/bow/arrows, but getting lost was scary as hell. I knew a Carno/Rex was around every corner waiting to kill us both. It was such a relief when I made it back, I ran inside and just logged for a bit. I will be making notes on my location from now on though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody made the mod yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgm4eKq6d4