Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Northjayhawk posted:

John McCarthy for Lawler/MacDonald
Herb Dean for Aldo/McGregor

I wanted a Josh Rosenthal update and Google just indicated he has been out for a few months now. How difficult is it to get re-licensed as a ref if he wants to go down that route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Y'all ever been choked so bad that the veins stood out on your pecs?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Champions with personality are so awesome
https://instagram.com/p/3yESI5igRm/

I too saw this and got my Joanna's mixed up. That's Calderwood who is definitely not champion of anything.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

xcore posted:

I wanted a Josh Rosenthal update and Google just indicated he has been out for a few months now. How difficult is it to get re-licensed as a ref if he wants to go down that route?

Pretty sure getting licensed is easy, but getting back on rotation takes longer, it took Big John like 5 years to get big fights again in Nevada.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

El Roncho posted:

I too saw this and got my Joanna's mixed up. That's Calderwood who is definitely not champion of anything.

Goon hearts. . Jojo is cool and that photo owns

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

minoru suzuki posted:

are there any openly gay male fighters in ufc

Team Alpha Male

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

minoru suzuki posted:

are there any openly gay male fighters in ufc

Not currently. The only openly gay male mma fighter I remember hearing about is Shad Smith, who never made it to the UFC. There is an openly gay female UFC fighter, Liz Carmouche, and I think there might be one other that I can't remember. In boxing there's currently an openly gay male fighter named Orlando Cruz, and Emile Griffith came out as gay after his boxing career. Christy Martin was openly bisexual, and Ann Wolfe is openly gay although I don't recall if she came out before she retired from the ring.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's a shame that the UFC didn't make a bigger deal about Carmouche being the first openly LGBT fighters not their organization. That's a pretty big deal.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Nevada in particular has a set amount of ref spots, and they don't open up often. That's why Big John took so long to get back to r effing in Vegas, he had to wait for a spot to open.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It's a shame that the UFC didn't make a bigger deal about Carmouche being the first openly LGBT fighters not their organization. That's a pretty big deal.

They brought it up all the time during the build-up to the Rousey fight.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They brought it up all the time during the build-up to the Rousey fight.

They could've done twice as much though...

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

fatherdog posted:

There is an openly gay female UFC fighter, Liz Carmouche, and I think there might be one other that I can't remember.

Jessica Andrade, for the record.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
greatly looking forward to seeing how cain gets hurt between now and fight time. i know he can do it. i believe.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

maffew buildings posted:

greatly looking forward to seeing how cain gets hurt between now and fight time. i know he can do it. i believe.

si se puede

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I like how instead of defending that last one he sits there for a few seconds contemplating every mistake that lead up to that moment.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think Raquel Pennington is gay, too. Tons of em in Invicta. e. like that one who did the really cool jumping hook kick KO and who is now 2-0.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Yeah you're right, it's not like they showed her with her partner on ufc countdown, numerous specials and showed her rainbow mouth guard and her walking out to the ring with a rainbow flag. They did exactly what you should do. Making it a spectacle is stupid, showing it as it is, a normal lifestyle in this day and age is the right way to go about it.

Shumagorath posted:

I like how instead of defending that last one he sits there for a few seconds contemplating every mistake that lead up to that moment.

I feel kind of bad for bubba, from the sounds of things he would've benefited more from being in Chael's team than being in Jones' the dude clearly struggles with the mental aspect of competing because every media outlet talked him up as being a bad rear end in the gym who can't quite put it all together on game day. Having Chael talk him through his mental problems and give him advice on where he could get some help with that side of the game would've been far more beneficial than Jones' bullshit.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Embedded 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Y9aVEOnTI

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Admittedly, I don't remember much of the Carmouche hype because it was coupled with mountain of other hype. My bad.

BlindSite posted:

I feel kind of bad for bubba

You're a monster.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I enjoy watching Cormier loudly loving with Werdum since he knows Cain doesn't have the personality to do it himself, and I hope to keep things balanced we see Cain confront Jon Jones while Cormier's quietly off eating dinner across the room whenever that Embedded series happens.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

I enjoy watching Cormier loudly loving with Werdum since he knows Cain doesn't have the personality to do it himself, and I hope to keep things balanced we see Cain confront Jon Jones while Cormier's quietly off eating dinner across the room whenever that Embedded series happens.

Cormier is awesome, he has a pretty good interview on Sherdog right now about the fight as well and some of the shenanigans: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Daniel-Cormier-How-Fabricio-Werdum-Pissed-Cain-Velasquez-Off-and-Why-it-Will-Cost-Him-8031. Although it's worrisome that he says that Cain is basically concussing him when they spar in practice :-\

Werdum beefing with Luke Rockhold is really funny to me too for some reason.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
For some reason I really, really feel like Werdum's gonna win this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I think Raquel Pennington is gay, too. Tons of em in Invicta. e. like that one who did the really cool jumping hook kick KO and who is now 2-0.

Christine Stanley

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Jessica Aguilar is gay. While I don't think Shayna Baszler has ever talked about her wisely anywhere I've seen, there's a scene in TUF where Rocky is talking about being a lesbian and asks Baszler something along the lines of when she came out, which could just be sloppy editing but I took to mean she is at least openly gay in her personal life.

Nick Ring was rumored to be gay but this was never confirmed.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 12, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bluedeanie posted:

Nick Ring was rumored to be Gary but this was never confirmed.

Gary Shaw?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Lloyd Boner posted:

For some reason I really, really feel like Werdum's gonna win this.

I had the exact same feeling before Daniel Cormier fought Jon Jones. Let me explain why you're feeling that way. You saw the contender finish a guy you really like (for Werdum it was Hunt, for Cormier it was Hendo) and you rationalize it as being a good & necessary thing because otherwise you'd be way too upset. So now in your mind you're already rooting for the guy to win. Then after many months of waiting because of a leg injury to the champion (knee for Cain, knee for Jones) you finally get the fight and Nate Marquardt is the 3rd bout of the PPV. Why that always happens I don't know but it's crucial. Anyways, you can expect a close round 1, Werdum to win round 2, and then Cain Velasquez takes over and wins a decision.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Not that anyone cares, but Andrew Todhunter passed out and his fight is scrapped. He was going to face Albert Tumenov, who probably would have wrecked him with Russian fury.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
Its an intriguing matchup, and I hope Werdum wins. Having a glass champion is no fun. Plus Werdum kinda owns. He certainly has avenues to victory both on the feet and on the ground against Cain, but I wouldn't bet on this with Atom's money.

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
I would love to know what DC weighs right now, he looks like a big boy.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I would like Fabricio to win because he is cool and entertaining and would probably have a slightly more consistent defense schedule and for this reason he will surely lose

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
no he'll lose because cain is way better than him

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, since early 2012, Fabricio has managed to have one more fight. He's not Donald Cerrone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Werdum makes his silly face and acts funny because he knows that's what's going to make him his money in the future.

Cain doesn't because he knows that making money on the future depends on him having as little physical movement as possible before the fight and then beating the ever living poo poo out of Werdum this weekend.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

So Aldo got randomly tested by the NSAC, he used the wanderlei defense, and eventually called the brazillian commission, whose president is the doctor that used to prescribe and grant TRT exemptions. All of a sudden, the nsac guy applied for the wrong visa, which is "business" instead of "work" and the sample got thrown down the drain.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/6/11/8769211/ufc-189-jose-aldo-nac-random-urine-sample-discarded-nac-collector-work-visa-mma-news

Nothing shady there!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, since early 2012, Fabricio has managed to have one more fight. He's not Donald Cerrone.

That's a little unfair. He had to do two seasons of TUF and part of the delay was due to his opponent not being Donald Cerrone but the broken rear end Cain Velasquez instead,

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Street Horrrsing posted:

So Aldo got randomly tested by the NSAC, he used the wanderlei defense

Isn't the Wanderlei defense "running"?

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Eventually, but the orginal defense was to be baffled that anyone might want to collect your urine at all, and GIVEN that I can't read this paperwork, maybe it's just some freako perv collector of urine operating under the illusion of authority!!! Then he chose to run away.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

1st AD posted:

Pretty sure getting licensed is easy, but getting back on rotation takes longer, it took Big John like 5 years to get big fights again in Nevada.

I thought once the guy that hated big john left he was back in the rotation really quickly? Like, he only got reliscenced in Nevada late last year and straight away reffed on UFC 178 which was in like September?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cain is going to royally gently caress him up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Rosenthal is a convicted criminal, there might be code of conduct regulations against him returning; even if there wasn't, there is all downside and no upside to reinstating him in regards to people who have the ability to make that decision. Internet message board fans like him as a ref, but you know how much that counts for.

• Locked thread