Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Freakus posted:

I just started playing a merchant republic.

I know I want to connect my trade zones, but should I go for 100% control in each? E.g. I have 3/5 trade posts with the 2 other not built. But the trade zone next to that is more valuable. Should I go for 100% control (5/5) or try to gain control of the more valuable trade zone next to it?

I believe as long as you have majority control you still get the bonus income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Freakus posted:

I just started playing a merchant republic.

I know I want to connect my trade zones, but should I go for 100% control in each? E.g. I have 3/5 trade posts with the 2 other not built. But the trade zone next to that is more valuable. Should I go for 100% control (5/5) or try to gain control of the more valuable trade zone next to it?

You want to try to maximize the number of posts in each zone before you start working on neighbours - trade posts within the same zone all give each other bonuses so it ends up being a greater net effect to build a new post in a zone that's got 4/5 posts built than to put it in a fresh zone next to that one.

The main thing about trade zone connectedness is you want all your controlled zones to lead back to the republic capital (NOT your own personal capital - in case you have one that's different from the republic) - any posts connected to the capital in that fashion get a flat "connected to capital" bonus to their income.

If you're the doge you shouldn't worry too much about the AI outpacing you and grabbing the more valuable zone before you can get to it. Even without really trying you'll be building trade posts at a rate of about 5:1 compared to the AI.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've started as Sigurgr of.. uhh. Pre-Sweden, in the CM start. I've amassed all of Sweden, and probably all of Finland, and Norway My problem is, I have no idea what the hell to do about Elective Gavelkind, and the eleven or so titles I'm going to lose when I die?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Node posted:

The start date sucks. It only makes AI blobs blob even blobbier. I mean, the entirety of western Europe sans Iberia is under only two kingdom titles.

I find the opposite, Europe at that start date is super fractured when Charlie croaks

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The General posted:

I've started as Sigurgr of.. uhh. Pre-Sweden, in the CM start. I've amassed all of Sweden, and probably all of Finland, and Norway My problem is, I have no idea what the hell to do about Elective Gavelkind, and the eleven or so titles I'm going to lose when I die?

Your probably gonna lose them. Welcome to unreformed pagans. It's not supposed to be stable or easy.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Schizotek posted:

Your probably gonna lose them. Welcome to unreformed pagans. It's not supposed to be stable or easy.

...unless you don't marry

or you sacrifice all your unworthy sons to Wōden :black101:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The General posted:

Reform faith then form the empire of Scandinavia

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Excelzior posted:

or you sacrifice all your unworthy sons to Wōden :black101:

Every pagan game I ever play.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Darth Windu posted:

I find the opposite, Europe at that start date is super fractured when Charlie croaks

The Byzantines and Abbasids both become unstoppable blobs that slowly grind each other down in that start. My first start in that timeline I recall the Abbasids eating both Seljuk and the Mongols.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

The Byzantines and Abbasids both become unstoppable blobs that slowly grind each other down in that start. My first start in that timeline I recall the Abbasids eating both Seljuk and the Mongols.

Yes it's blobby, but the original example was the ONE spot that ISN'T super-blobby.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

There was a patch that dealt with this, so it works a little differently now. The Umayyad collapse more often than not, and the Caliphate switches families by 1100, usually with the empire breaking into a billion pieces. Byzantines are stable as ever though. Not much you can do about that. They start with the highest tech and imperial administration in 769. It's OP as gently caress. CM is my favorite start, personally. If you like republics, there's a million options.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 12, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone know if the Geheimnisnacht mod doesn't play nice with specific expansions/DLC? Mine keeps crashing on load.

E: Oh disregard, it's just the old Clausewitz issue of don't touch it for a while and maybe it'll play nice.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 12, 2015

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's a fun/interesting non-Catholic, non-Norse start? I've played 1066 Ireland to death and the Norse seem really OP.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

What's a fun/interesting non-Catholic, non-Norse start? I've played 1066 Ireland to death and the Norse seem really OP.
Pick the farthest tengri duchy. Kyrgyz I think? Although in one start I think they're a Zoroastrian heresy or something silly. Expand west until you hit Iceland.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Old Gods Karen :unsmigghh:

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Moon Slayer posted:

Saxony.

Make sure you save up enough prestige to fight off the initial Francian attacks. Then you can reform and start conquering your way down to Rome.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Old Gods Karen :unsmigghh:

Old Gods Karen is basically the strongest Zoroastrian start, right? They're surrounded by strong assholes, but they also have a lot of event troops, which gives them an edge the Charlemagne Zoroastrian starts lack, and two of their neighbors start at war with each other which gives them time to stab others or try to steal stuff and build up. I tried some of the Charlemagne Zoroastrian starts and they just have nothing. At least, for the ones who are Zoroastrian; I think the heresies are actually slightly better off?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I just changed my succession law to Primogeniture and it pissed off my only son, despite him becoming the heir to a bunch of poo poo that my brothers would have gotten instead which made me think he'd be happier. What gives?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Old Gods Karen is basically the strongest Zoroastrian start, right? They're surrounded by strong assholes, but they also have a lot of event troops, which gives them an edge the Charlemagne Zoroastrian starts lack, and two of their neighbors start at war with each other which gives them time to stab others or try to steal stuff and build up. I tried some of the Charlemagne Zoroastrian starts and they just have nothing. At least, for the ones who are Zoroastrian; I think the heresies are actually slightly better off?

I think Karen is a good jumping off point to learning how to play CK2 like a total rear end in a top hat. You do have some event troops to help you but events quickly spiral into you getting smashed to poo poo by a holy war or three unless you immediately start exploiting things as much as you can. After you take over your weaker neighbors by whatever means, you then have to fight against the Abbasid blob mostly single handedly. And after that you get mid-game-muslim antics where you're fighting crusades and hoping the mongol hordes go north, without the benefit of actually being muslim.

They're not that hard compared to more suicidal starts or earlier Zoro starts, but its a different sort of lifestyle when the harshest you've done is norse babytown frolics.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

I just changed my succession law to Primogeniture and it pissed off my only son, despite him becoming the heir to a bunch of poo poo that my brothers would have gotten instead which made me think he'd be happier. What gives?

:paradox:

Literally nothing I can think of to cause that normally.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Sounds like a bug in the AI that evaluates if they will be inheritors with a given succession type.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Since he was already the primary heir under gavelkind, he probably didn't actually consider the secondary title gains with the law change. So from his perspective you just changed the law for essentially no reason, which dynasty members usually don't like.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm playing Denmark and have 10k troops if I scrounge up the viking holy order and every single thing I can. France just declared war a holy war for Gelre on me and has loving 20k troops to his name, not counting mercs, holy orders, or allies (which, being a Karling, he has out the wazoo). Am I just totally boned? Is there any possible way for me to win this?

edit: haha nm this idiot 6 martial Karling got beat up and captured leading troops like an idiot. I should just execute him but winning the war the hard way is going to cost me way to much.

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 12, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

1066, one of the Muslim counties or duchies in Sicily. Conquer Italy!! Also: Try to avoid getting your face pushed in by the Crusaders!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Doing a vassal run for the Byzantines or a Muslim blob is fun. You could also try my white whale and create the republic of Crimea in Oleshye with the Magyar in 769. I got sooo close one time but I got greedy and bought trade posts instead of a military warehouse 2, and sure enough someone holy warred me for Crimea immediately after. It's an absolute bitch to get established there.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

So i haven't played the game since around the Charlemange DLCs and it's steam sale season and i have heard a lot of decent/good things about way of life... Did i have heard right? And what do i need to know in term of game mechanics changes? Are the new events good?

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 12, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The king of England somehow got the title "Khan" in my game, even though his culture is English. Does anyone know how that happened?

Also, the Crusader kingdom of Jerusalem is ruled by Pechenegs.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Crusader Kings 2 is on sale. As an entirely new player what dlc should I get for mechanics improvement and stuff?

From lurking the old thread, the viking one and charlamage one seem to be cant miss.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Crusader Kings 2 is on sale. As an entirely new player what dlc should I get for mechanics improvement and stuff?

From lurking the old thread, the viking one and charlamage one seem to be cant miss.

Legacy of Rome and Old Gods are the must-haves. Sword if you want to play Muslims, Republic if you want to play those, the others are mostly just if you want them.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Depends what you want. From what I can tell:

Way of life is all around fun. It adds roleplaying events and is well regarded.

Old gods gives you an earlier start date and lets you play as pagans.
Sword of Islam lets you play Muslims.
Republic lets you play republics.
Rajasthan of India let's you play Indians.

Sons of Abraham gives Christians more stuff to play with and lets you play jewish rulers
Legacy of Rome gives you retinues and maybe stuff for Byzantium?
Sunset invasion gives you a fun late game invasion for Western Europe.

Charlemagne gives you a new start date, some events if you play Charlemagne himself and the ability to create custom kingdoms and empires. I'll probably be buying it just for custom kingdoms and empires because I hear the rest isn't too good.

Somebody let me know if I made a mistake.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
My opinion on DLCs:

the almost required:

- Sword of Islam
- Old Gods
- Legacy of Rome
- Way of Life

the cool:

- Republic
- Charlemagne
- Sons of Abraham

the useless:

- Rajas of India
- Sunset Invasion (its pretty fun, though)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 12, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Doesn't Charlemagne give you viceroyalties? That's a fairly big deal if you ever play as the Byzantines.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Custom titles are the only significant thing Charlemagne adds. (there's also viceroyalties, which some people like but I don't; an earlier start date that IMO sucks; and a bunch of scripted Charlemagne events :toot:)

You must have The Old Gods, Legacy of Rome and Way of Life. Everything else is "if this looks interesting to you." (You need The Republic to play republics, you need Sword of Islam to play Muslims, you need Sons of Abraham to play Jews. These DLCs add nothing significant to the game besides unlocking new playables.)

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Doesn't Charlemagne give you viceroyalties? That's a fairly big deal if you ever play as the Byzantines.

It also lets you play as tribals. Charlemange's big thing is the start date but there's lots of little features in there as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's Old Gods that lets you play as tribals isn't it?

I know I can play tribal just fine and don't have Charlemagne. It's either an Old Gods thing or an automatic thing that came with a patch.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's Old Gods that lets you play as tribals isn't it?

I know I can play tribal just fine and don't have Charlemagne. It's either an Old Gods thing or an automatic thing that came with a patch.

Pretty sure. Pagans are pagans. CM just introduced the tribal mechanics.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rajas of India wouldn't be worthwhile if Paradox paid you :10bux: to install it.

Why's that?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Custom titles are the only significant thing Charlemagne adds. (there's also viceroyalties, which some people like but I don't; an earlier start date that IMO sucks; and a bunch of scripted Charlemagne events :toot:)

You must have The Old Gods, Legacy of Rome and Way of Life. Everything else is "if this looks interesting to you." (You need The Republic to play republics, you need Sword of Islam to play Muslims, you need Sons of Abraham to play Jews. These DLCs add nothing significant to the game besides unlocking new playables.)

Sons of Abraham also adds a bunch of events and decisions that makes the game more fun for christians and muslims. And playing muslims is a blast, so I will always count SoI among the required DLCs.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Just bought this, happy with %50 off even if they go with a better deal at some point. Following the advice of this thread, I picked up:

The Old Gods
Legacy of Rome
Way of Life

Had been planning to not get Way of Life as heard a lot about seduction being way overpowered. Can always not use it if that turns out to be the case. Would have liked more DLC, but ran out of money. Reckon I should sink a few hours into the game before worrying about alternate ways to play though.

I’m thinking that I’m probably going to play this game the right way, because while exploring the interface in the tutorials, learning about dynasties and family trees and traits, I found myself staring at a guy with a strong claim to my territory. And his young wife was an heir to the King of Scotland with admirable traits. Immediately I’m wondering how I’d go about killing him, marrying her, and making babies to secure the line of succession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

I'm guessing it's because (from what I've seen of LPs) Indian rulers don't differ from Catholic feudal rulers as much as muslims/republics/pagans do. India doesn't interact with the original game world that much in my experience - the only thing I've seen is Hinduism spread into the Steppes/Persia in an Old Gods Byzantine start where I smashed the Caliphate with holy wars (and therefore tanking Sunni MA).

• Locked thread