Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

anyone else have their hotkeys stop working? everything was working fine yesterday. nothing works on the keyboard except the arrow keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Trujillo posted:

A warning to anyone going for Buddhists Strike Back:

How did you westernize? I've got the whole west coast up to Afganistan now and just solidified the east by vassalizing the remains of a co-belligerent Bengal. Orissa turned on me after that so I'm friendless but huge. There is no way for the Europeans to sneak in now and I took Exploration first (mistake) but have been focusing on rich Pacific provinces instead of going around towards Europe. Even if they colonize next to me there won't they instantly turn it into a trading post and make me unable to colonize?

What idea groups did you take? I took Exploration->Economic->Religious and think I should have taken Diplomatic->Religious. I got overconfident in my converting ability early then took some actual non-poo poo provinces and got hammered by eastern cultures lovely revolt risk tolerance. I'm ok now that I have Religious but missing that extra diplomat is still painful. Where is my embassy?!

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Are separatist rebels being able to near-instantly siege down a province and give you umpteen more years of nationalism an intended change? Didn't see anything about that in the hotfix :(

quote:

One thing with regards to forts and fast rebel occupations I would like to point out;
Provinces within the Zone of Control of a fort will NOT suffer any ill effects from being occupied by rebels.

We're working on improving the information you get on this in-game.
I guess this solves the mystery as to why some provinces got seperatism and some didn't.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Sorced posted:

I guess this solves the mystery as to why some provinces got seperatism and some didn't.

I posted about this a few pages back, Its good that it was working at intended and not a bug

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

So I've played about a dozen or so hours of Common Sense by this point and I am completely enamored with it. Prior to this it felt like EU4 was on an accelerated timeline and everything was happening about 100 years before it should. This feels like we're getting very close to a sweet spot of historical plausibility.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I don't know if this was intentional or not but the Native American buildings cost around 84 ducats each (not including increased price in harsher climates). The whole point of the cheap buildings was to give the Native Americans something to build and do while they wait for the Europeans to arrive, as well as a way to make money. Development has made the buildings less worthwhile as most provinces in North America are fairly poor, and with the increased cost of them getting the much needed benefits is extremely harsh. I hope something is done to fix this, as along with the first idea group at adm 5 this really slows and screws over the Native Americans.

Edit: Upon further investigation the buildings cost 100 ducats and they can only have 1 per province. Increasing development may get you more, but almost every province is 1/1/1, Pequot is the largest at a whopping 4/2/2.

So it sounds like we are back to the super Eurocentric gameplay of EU4 initially. That's a shame.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arzakon posted:

How did you westernize? I've got the whole west coast up to Afganistan now and just solidified the east by vassalizing the remains of a co-belligerent Bengal. Orissa turned on me after that so I'm friendless but huge. There is no way for the Europeans to sneak in now and I took Exploration first (mistake) but have been focusing on rich Pacific provinces instead of going around towards Europe. Even if they colonize next to me there won't they instantly turn it into a trading post and make me unable to colonize?

What idea groups did you take? I took Exploration->Economic->Religious and think I should have taken Diplomatic->Religious. I got overconfident in my converting ability early then took some actual non-poo poo provinces and got hammered by eastern cultures lovely revolt risk tolerance. I'm ok now that I have Religious but missing that extra diplomat is still painful. Where is my embassy?!

I leap frogged the Pacific islands to Peru and westernized off a colonial nation. I went for Africa and all the Indian Ocean islands first to block off the Europeans from the west and then took all the little micronesia islands/Hawaii/Alaska to stop them in the east. They can still use CB's/missions to attack Asian countries but hopefully if they do they won't be able to core them. Portugal has had a mission to take an Indian port for probably 100 years but haven't acted on it or I would probably be dead since they're allied with Spain.

As for ideas, I went exploration-economic-quantity-administrative. I only plan on getting the core cost reduction from administrative though until I have points to spare. I probably would've taken it third if I wasn't so behind on admin tech. I haven't had any problems converting anything with all the missionary modifiers you get from Buddhism though. Not that religious isn't one of the best groups, it just isn't necessary to get to convert any of the territory I've taken so far. Maybe it would be for much more developed Muslim lands.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Decisions#Eastern

I think the Ottomans coring cost reduction means they just run away with the game. I have the second highest development at 839, only one point above Spain. The next highest country is Lithuania with 500. The Ottomans have 1500.

But now my save crashes every time I unpause. Hoping the hotfix deals with it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know, Trujillo. In every single game I've played so far, the Ottomans have failed to take Constantinople -- by 1500. Maybe if their AI isn't lovely they run away with things, but I haven't seen them do anything whatsoever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
WIZ, THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE, AGAIN, LIKE IT IS WITH EVERY PATCH

because the Better UI mods haven't been updated for it yet

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know, Trujillo. In every single game I've played so far, the Ottomans have failed to take Constantinople -- by 1500. Maybe if their AI isn't lovely they run away with things, but I haven't seen them do anything whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just lucky then.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Trujillo posted:

Maybe I'm just lucky then.

I like the Poland reversal of fortune going on there.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Node posted:

WIZ, THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE, AGAIN, LIKE IT IS WITH EVERY PATCH

because the Better UI mods haven't been updated for it yet

It has, but there is a bug with the workshop that won't let you enable it. Edit betterui2.0.mod in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod folder and add the line supported_version="1.12" to get it to work.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Traxis posted:

It has, but there is a bug with the workshop that won't let you enable it. Edit betterui2.0.mod in Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod folder and add the line supported_version="1.12" to get it to work.

God bless you.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Hey Wiz - ever since El Dorado (I think) I notice that my trade fleets periodically dock up without orders to do so - thus temporarily causing my trade bonuses to collapse only to resurface once the fleet sets out to sea again. This occurs in coastal regions even with the coastal repair idea so I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this - or is this a bug?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why does forming Italy still remove Ambrosian Republic. :smith:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
So this patch snuck up on me, what do I knock it down to to finish out my save?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Rincewind posted:

So, who's the emperor in everyone's games? Austria seemed to lose control of the HRE very quickly in my game. After a brief interval where Bohemia was emperor, the HRE's been glued to Brandenburg ever since.
In my game Austria kept it until just before the HYW when Palatinate somehow got a hold of it.

Then the HYW fired and everyone from Spain to the Russians and Ottomans piled into it - except Austria, hilariously.

The protestants won and 2 province Bavaria somehow ended up emperor.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

the JJ posted:

So this patch snuck up on me, what do I knock it down to to finish out my save?

Current version is 1.12, and the last beta you can roll back to on steam looks like version 1.11.4.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Declared war on Genoa and it told me that Austria wouldn't come to their aid because it's in another war and blah blah blah, but then they did. That wasn't very convenient of them. First time it's happened to me that the X was next to their name but someone came anyway. Maybe a bug?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
When is the hotfix dropping?

reL
May 20, 2007
For the Master of India achievement, do the Ottomans qualify as a European nation? I presume with their capital being in Europe, and all...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

reL posted:

For the Master of India achievement, do the Ottomans qualify as a European nation? I presume with their capital being in Europe, and all...

Their starting capital is in Europe so they should.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

reL posted:

Yes, they do. Only check is that you start in 1444 and your capital's located in Europe (and that you didn't add any custom nations, obviously)

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Cantorsdust posted:

When is the hotfix dropping?

They said "As early as possible on Friday"

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Well, huh.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I've been out of the EU4 loop since right before El Dorado came out. How's Common Sense?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Expanded just a little bit too quickly as Milan and got coalitioned by the pope, Genoa, the swiss, and Hungery. Then two other countries declared war on me when I was down on my luck. Had to give up 100% warscore to the pope et al but turned around and beat the other two italian minors who attacked me while I was being gangbanged.
The AI this patch is so much more rutheless. I love it.

Forts in the Italian area are so incredibly powerful given how little maneuvering room you have.

Now it's in the 1540's and I still don't have enough of italy to form the country. However my development is immense for how big I am. I've got over 400 despite not even having worked my way down to rome yet. Milan itself has a basetax of around 25 and a total development in the low 40's. I have a monthly income of around 45 gold, a profit of about 6 gold, and I'm wielding a 50ish force limit (and this without the quantity idea group, just economic, defensive, and diplomatic). The total of 30% reduction in development costs is huge for me at this stage and it'll only get better as the game goes on. I'm more powerful than Austria, who's kinda floundered thanks to loosing the emperorship early on and never getting it back.

Yes, I'm very happy with this. When I finish with Italy I'm thinking I'll make a bunch of marches around to expand my military even further since money probably won't be an issue.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 12, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Expanded just a little bit too quickly as Milan and got coalitioned by the pope, Genoa, the swiss, and Hungery. Then two other countries declared war on me when I was down on my luck. Had to give up 100% warscore to the pope et al but turned around and beat the other two italian minors who attacked me while I was being gangbanged.
The AI this patch is so much more rutheless. I love it.

Forts in the Italian area are so incredibly powerful given how little maneuvering room you have.

Now it's in the 1540's and I still don't have enough of italy to form the country. However my development is immense for how big I am. I've got over 400 despite not even having worked my way down to rome yet. Milan itself has a basetax of around 25 and a total development in the low 40's. I have a monthly income of around 45 gold, a profit of about 6 gold, and I'm wielding a 50ish force limit (and this without the quantity idea group, just economic, defensive, and diplomatic). The total of 30% reduction in development costs is huge for me at this stage and it'll only get better as the game goes on. I'm more powerful than Austria, who's kinda floundered thanks to loosing the emperorship early on and never getting it back.

Yes, I'm very happy with this. When I finish with Italy I'm thinking I'll make a bunch of marches around to expand my military even further since money probably won't be an issue.

Dude, Milan/Italy rocks. I've been constantly expanding inside of Italy and just laughing off the coalition wars the HRE throws at me every 15 years. With France and Aragon as your friends, enemies just melt. I'm sure the bad AI doesn't help them any though, because they sure do love throwing every army onto a mountain Swiss province, which is my march. Having a blast.

Honestly I'd be content with just expanding to Italy and playing tall. CS makes it a pretty fun experience.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can we please get rid of the -25 prestige penalty for not joining an allies call to arms? It is a penalty that only affects the player at this point since the game prevents you from calling non willing allies when you go to war. Or at least get an option for the player to join defensive wars only?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

Can we please get rid of the -25 prestige penalty for not joining an allies call to arms? It is a penalty that only affects the player at this point since the game prevents you from calling non willing allies when you go to war. Or at least get an option for the player to join defensive wars only?

Can't you just dissolve the alliance before declining the call to arms? It used to work to avoid the penalty, I'm not sure if they ever changed it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I shouldn't have to do that.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

cheesetriangles posted:

There needs to be a penalty to encourage you to actually follow through with your alliances.

brocretin posted:

I've been out of the EU4 loop since right before El Dorado came out. How's Common Sense?

It is really good I think. The changes are too big to really get a handle on just yet but I think I love it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Traxis posted:

Can't you just dissolve the alliance before declining the call to arms? It used to work to avoid the penalty, I'm not sure if they ever changed it.

It's fixed in the next hotfix.

Also 25 prestige is something you need to weigh against when declining a call. AI is affected by it too, when you get attacked and they don't come to help.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

The point is, the AI can take a stance of

"Sure I'll help defend you from these other dicks, but no I wont help you take over all your neighbors and become your attack dog."

The player can't. I'd like to be able to have a similar stance, "sure Milan, I'll protect you from Austria, but no, I'm not going to do all the heavy lifting so you can take over all northern Italy."

We should be able to turn down offensive calls to arms without penalty just like the AI. Or let the AI know somehow we are not interested (so it doesn't decide to launch an attack against France thinking we're going to join in an do all the work).

Also, I noticed a bug the other day, if you attack someone and their ally is showing as unwilling to join you cannot tick the co-belligerent box. Which is fine apart from when the fuckers join the war anyway.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

What's an interesting horde nation to play? I hear they did some mechanical changes on them and I'm interested in trying one.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I would like to formally apologize for complaining about rebels being able to siege land add 10 years off nationals for land in a forts ZoC when in fact it already worked the way I wined they should change it to. That will teach me to actually play the drat game before running to the forums to complain about it.

Well in any case I should probably get around to trying to form Italy once the hotfix comes in.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I was looking through the achievements and saw one about getting a female monarch, how is that determined?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

aeglus posted:

Converted to Protestant as Milan, and after converting all my provinces I'm stuck at 90% Religious Unity. No idea why.

Did you ever get this sorted? I had something similar (stuck at 98%), but after two or three months it suddenly ticked over to 100%. I'm not seeing a bug report yet, so thought I'd ask you for more info before I make one.

Did you have a center of reformation? Were you ever converting a province at the same time a CoR was converting it (which seems to sometimes happen with this patch)? Did you have overseas provinces?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Gorelab posted:

What's an interesting horde nation to play? I hear they did some mechanical changes on them and I'm interested in trying one.

Kazan has pretty decent ideas (if you westernize/reform pretty quickly, otherwise they aren't too great compared to generic horde NIs), Uzbek and Oirat are both decently big, Golden Horde is tricky but I'm pretty sure they're decently strong at the moment, same with Crimea. Challenge mode is Mongolia, definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I really wish the macro builder listed what a provinces trade good was in the development tab. Sure that province has basically no development and is really cheap but I can't plan my expansion without knowing what is built there. Is it grain and I want to pump tons of manpower into it or is it silk and I want to max production?

• Locked thread