Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

After flushing DNS, I can no longer see any of the non-EU official servers in the Steam server thingamabob. Loads of unofficial ones, though.
Just find someone in steam group, copy IP of the server, and favorite it in steam server browser (not the game one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So how does this work. Is it minecraft-style 'anyone can run a server' and you can play solo if you want? Or are there X amount of official servers or what?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

khy posted:

So how does this work. Is it minecraft-style 'anyone can run a server' and you can play solo if you want? Or are there X amount of official servers or what?
Yes

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Could you please elaborate upon your answer

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

khy posted:

There are both official servers and privately hosted servers.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

khy posted:

Yes to both, there are private servers, there are local servers (single player), and there are official servers.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Demiurge4 posted:

Feed them stim berries to bring their food levels down. It also decreases torpor though so you're trading more narkoberries for quicker taming but if you have a trike it's not so bad.

Alternatively you can just drown the dino in the river like it's a red headed step child.

This apparently drops hunger like a rock. So long as it doesn't die it supposedly shaves off a ton of time and resources needed since you are using the water to handle the hunger aspect. I imagine you'd want to do it on a light weight dino like a dilo though. Since i'm not sure how easily it can kill it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 12, 2015

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

GODDAMN server crash with my first raptor at like 70% complete in taming. There goes my hours of farming narcotics and crap earlier lol. Maintenance wasn't for another 50 mins.

Welp, server came back, dino still taming, but now I can't open his inventory to give him more narcotics or food.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 12, 2015

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Archonex posted:

Alternatively you can just drown the dino in the river like it's a red headed step child.

This apparently drops hunger like a rock. So long as it doesn't die it supposedly shaves off a ton of time and resources needed since you are using the water to handle the hunger aspect. I imagine you'd want to do it on a light weight dino like a dilo though. Since i'm not sure how easily it can kill it.

Dropping a Dino's health doesn't impact taming speed at all.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Huge Fucker Bitch posted:

Dropping a Dino's health doesn't impact taming speed at all.

That's correct. Dropping it's hunger does but only if you have pre planned a method of dropping it via stims and narcos. Drowning them used to be a cool way of speeding up hunger drop for small dinos like dilos and raptors since you can easily move them to water and back out.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Givin posted:

That's correct. Dropping it's hunger does but only if you have pre planned a method of dropping it via stims and narcos. Drowning them used to be a cool way of speeding up hunger drop for small dinos like dilos and raptors since you can easily move them to water and back out.

I meant hunger. That's been debunked by players and devs.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I was taming dilos in twenty seconds last night with the drowning trick. I haven't had a chance to play tonight so I don't know if it was patched out or something like that since yesterday, but I swear it worked. Even named the fella Aquaman!

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Well I can confirm that setting up a metal base by yourself is too much for one person. I am tearing apart the entire mountainside and only have six foundations and 5 walls done. Some of the pieces came from supply drops too.

I think they can only do one of three things to make this manageable. Its not a question per se of having enough people when I have stripmined the whole loving area and have barely anything to show for it. Having more people gathering would just overextend distance of your base and you will just suffer losses from players or dinos.

The three things they can do:
- Reduce the metal weight. This allows you to gather more in a run but still has the stripmine problem.
- Make the smelt metal a 1:1 exchange. Currently 2 metal makes an ingot so you have to gather 100 metal to make a single foundation plus the cement. I have solved the cement problem but it only works because my area of control has a cave with scorps and spiders.
- Increase the metal drop number from metal rocks. This is the most sense able as it will make gathering in an area manageable and bringing a supply dino along to carry your poo poo brings home the gathering aspect.

I have been using my Ankylosaur for a dual purpose miner and logistics. Its also pretty lame that you can break the metal pick so drat easily making it more efficient to dino mine so you dont have to spend a percent of your cut to rebuild the picks. The Ankylosaur is pretty slow but it handles every loving thing that comes its way. I killed a player pack of raptors that attacked me with just the two of us.

This is one too many effortposts on my part so I am probably gonna try to stop spurging after this one.

One question I have though is how the gently caress does anyone get the 10 oil required for the fabricator when the loving nodes drop about 2 oil each and they are loving super dangerous to reach. I can guess that everyone is running their poo poo off of supply drops right now because gently caress brawling sharks. You can clear them well enough on the coast but out in the open water you are just hosed.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya, they're going to have to do some major revisiting of material costs as well as durability of various items. Even wood is a major time consuming hassle. Also with the current state of grenades there is no point to trying to build a metal base.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Sure, it's a lot of effort, but it's kind of fitting. I feel like a lot of survival games end up falling kind of flat in the end-game, since obtaining resources and making super-bases and whatnot is easy and accessible to everyone. With Ark, it's more likely that you'll be running out of resources and constantly feeling pressure to get more. I can, however, see the gathering process becoming too tedious. It'll be hard to get the right balance, I imagine.

I also really like that dinosaurs are an effective and resource-efficient means of gathering resources. They're tools, and each one has a pretty clear purpose.

E:

vvv "It's been Friday for 2 whole hours! Why haven't the developers gotten up and given me my content already?" *stamps feet*

Jesus Christ.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 12, 2015

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
Bloody hell, the Steam forums are full of whiny people when it comes to this game.

quote:

It's been Friday in the US for over 2 hours now...

quote:

Its been friday all day for me by the time stuff comes out its saturday for us it sucks even more they say friday and its not being in aus in a pain in the ♥♥♥ for gamers

And for ingame related content, I have tamed so much stuff I can't even ride yet - the turtle, a pteranodon, I had a triceratops well before I could ride the darn thing.

I suppose they're good as guards if nothing else.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Grenades are loving amazing, I crafted 2 and it turns out that one was enough to blow off the door of one of a tribe near me that had 6 dudes in it. I stole so much poo poo. :getin:.

My friends have all stopped playing though, so I should probably just give up all my progress and come over to 40 with you assholes.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Tamed my first Argenavis, It can snatch people up but i've yet to figure out how yet since it isnt right click like the pteradon.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

TwatHammer posted:

Tamed my first Argenavis, It can snatch people up but i've yet to figure out how yet since it isnt right click like the pteradon.

Ctrl i belive.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Drinkfist posted:

One question I have though is how the gently caress does anyone get the 10 oil required for the fabricator when the loving nodes drop about 2 oil each and they are loving super dangerous to reach. I can guess that everyone is running their poo poo off of supply drops right now because gently caress brawling sharks. You can clear them well enough on the coast but out in the open water you are just hosed.

I solved this problem by speccing to 240 oxygen, looking up the location of the nearest underwater cave to our location (the one at ~90,72) and swimming down there with a thatch foundation and bed. Actually finding the cave entrance was a complete bitch though because the massive rock segments underwater only pop in once you're within ~50 metres of them and the cave entrances are made up of such segments. I set up a bed down there and now I'm ferrying supplies down to it to lock it off to anyone else and get a small base operational. There's oil and pearls in the cave itself, and quite a few nodes and pearls surrounding the mouth of the cave that are safely harvestable. I give no shits about megalodons because I outswim them easily with the boosted swim speed from increasing oxygen.

Even then though, it's still only ~30 oil and ~150 pearls per harvesting run, and I don't think the resource nodes respawn too often.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Can't log in. Takes me straight back to the main menu after loading everything, but with no mouse pointer. Weird bug. I see that some other people were having trouble logging in, too?

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Hezzy posted:

Can't log in. Takes me straight back to the main menu after loading everything, but with no mouse pointer. Weird bug. I see that some other people were having trouble logging in, too?

I have that issue currently but when i did log in, My character died with all my poo poo on him and my body and lootbag ~vanished~, good to know that i lost so much poo poo because of that, Really liked that rifle and assault rifle too. That rifle instigated so many pubbie tears on official40.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I have to say; I really like the interview on Twitch with the Senior Technical and Gameplay Designer. Learning so much, watched 3,5 hours of it last night, and continuing the last hour now.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I've had some of my corpses vanish into thin air recently too. Not that I really mind because I make a point of not carrying too much equipment with me anyway.
I have also witnessed the corpse of a friend of me fly into the air (much like those boulders when smashing rocks) really far away after getting eaten by a Carno.

I think they overtuned item durability though. My torches lasting under 5 minutes are annoying, but at least those can be repaired in the field.
However the metal items like the pickaxe and hatchet or pike really should be increased again. I don't want to carry 5 pickaxes when I go Metal Mining.

Lastly I was disappointed to see my whole irrigation network completely vanished overnight. And no it was not destroyed by a player.

PS : What about those Fertilizer timers in the Poo Bin? I got two fertilizers after about 3 hours, and then zero for the rest of the night?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Finally died. RIP a total of about 5+ hours since yesterday preparing and taming raptors and each time bugging out or losing to a crash. I was feeling good this morning and then a drat Carno kills me and I lost my saddle, all my narcotics I made the last 2 days, meats farmed, gear, etc. This game is fun but can be brutal as hell trying to go out and do stuff alone. Think I will wait a while for some changes and see what the patches bring, or reroll to find a better community that actually has tribes active in them. I even found where I died, but it was too late as the body was gone and the same Carno shows up and kills me again anyway. The level system is really weird to me (only MMO experience, no survival games) how a lvl 25 dodo can be easily killed but a lvl 4 carno can wreck your day with ease.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Someone on a parasaur stole all the narcoberries and regular berries from my bro (and new player) GWN the other day as he was taming an Anklyosaur on the other side of the river from goon cave 2.

If I find out who it was, I'm kicking them. Bullshit like that is a full douche move and is probably indicative of stealing poo poo from other goons on a regular basis.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

DrSeRRoD posted:

how a lvl 25 dodo can be easily killed but a lvl 4 carno can wreck your day with ease.

It's simple. the first is a Carno, and the second is just a loving DODO.

In contrary of in MMO's all lvl "25"'s are not roughly equal in power. On the other hand all Carno's are roughly equal in power, but small variations according to their level will be present.

I for one absolutely have always hated the idea why in MMO's a lvl 30 "boss" is more easy to kill than a friggin "moss snake" in a higher lvl 60 zone for example.
Or why the strongest enemies in a dungeon can be found and the very deep end. If I would be in charge of defending my dungeon, I would make sure I put my finest warriors guarding the entrance and keep the women and children safe in the back.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Yea, the MMO mentality is what made it tougher to understand. I need to look at it by dino-type and then levels are just extra stats for that type. I realize what made the streams so fun to watch is seeing people play together so I need to jump ship and find a place where people actually talk and craft and tame together or maybe spawn somewhere else on the island and look for a tribe there.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Evernoob posted:

It's simple. the first is a Carno, and the second is just a loving DODO.

In contrary of in MMO's all lvl "25"'s are not roughly equal in power. On the other hand all Carno's are roughly equal in power, but small variations according to their level will be present.

I for one absolutely have always hated the idea why in MMO's a lvl 30 "boss" is more easy to kill than a friggin "moss snake" in a higher lvl 60 zone for example.
Or why the strongest enemies in a dungeon can be found and the very deep end. If I would be in charge of defending my dungeon, I would make sure I put my finest warriors guarding the entrance and keep the women and children safe in the back.

This gets very evident if you look at the bosses. Some monsters are just naturally nastier. The broodmother in particular is a full blown raid boss tier mob. You're not doing that thing on a private server without like a week of prep time to build a fortress for it to siege. It's only the first boss mob too, and is rated as requiring level five to summon. :stonk:

Also as a side note I took being unable to log in last night as an invitation to explore the game mechanics. I recommend checking the PGS thread soon. The goons who said that tribes like Khaos were way ahead of us have no clue just how bad they could get their poo poo stomped if we start exploring certain mechanics.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

sushibandit posted:

Someone on a parasaur stole all the narcoberries and regular berries from my bro (and new player) GWN the other day as he was taming an Anklyosaur on the other side of the river from goon cave 2.

If I find out who it was, I'm kicking them. Bullshit like that is a full douche move and is probably indicative of stealing poo poo from other goons on a regular basis.
I hear we've been purging the lurkers and inactives because of people regularly stealing food from mounts. But probably should take comments like this to the PGS official forty thread

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Archonex posted:

This gets very evident if you look at the bosses. Some monsters are just naturally nastier. The broodmother in particular is a full blown raid boss tier mob. You're not doing that thing on a private server without like a week of prep time to build a fortress for it to siege. It's only the first boss mob too, and is rated as requiring level five to summon. :stonk:

Considering people beat the broodmother by like day 3, I don't think it's really that hard. I mean it's hard to me, because I suck at the game, it will be months and months before I see it. But do not underestimate the power of the poopsock.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Drinkfist posted:

Well I can confirm that setting up a metal base by yourself is too much for one person. I am tearing apart the entire mountainside and only have six foundations and 5 walls done. Some of the pieces came from supply drops too.

I think they can only do one of three things to make this manageable. Its not a question per se of having enough people when I have stripmined the whole loving area and have barely anything to show for it. Having more people gathering would just overextend distance of your base and you will just suffer losses from players or dinos.

The three things they can do:
- Reduce the metal weight. This allows you to gather more in a run but still has the stripmine problem.
- Make the smelt metal a 1:1 exchange. Currently 2 metal makes an ingot so you have to gather 100 metal to make a single foundation plus the cement. I have solved the cement problem but it only works because my area of control has a cave with scorps and spiders.
- Increase the metal drop number from metal rocks. This is the most sense able as it will make gathering in an area manageable and bringing a supply dino along to carry your poo poo brings home the gathering aspect.

I have been using my Ankylosaur for a dual purpose miner and logistics. Its also pretty lame that you can break the metal pick so drat easily making it more efficient to dino mine so you dont have to spend a percent of your cut to rebuild the picks. The Ankylosaur is pretty slow but it handles every loving thing that comes its way. I killed a player pack of raptors that attacked me with just the two of us.

This is one too many effortposts on my part so I am probably gonna try to stop spurging after this one.

I also know your pain with building a metal building. It's just way too much. It took me forever to build a simple 4x3 shack out of metal to protect our metal mining operation away from our main base. This was before the change making dinos not able to damage metal walls. Right as I completed it, a dude on a T Rex rode up and began chomping on the building. He damaged it so loving fast. We responded and ran him off but it was clear that making a metal building was a waste of time so we tore it all down to salvage the ingots.

They later came back with 3 T Rexes to finish our main base off in a matter of seconds. Next day the wall damage patch hit.

You really have to have a team ready to work together when it comes to large metal projects. I'm hoping at least when dragonflies go in that they are another source of chitin so we can make paste more efficiently. Also I think weight should be looked at. And even after all that, anything metal can just be hosed over with grenades which are super easy to get.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya the game is gonna be a nightmare for awhile until they correct this grenade stupidity. My friends and I are focusing on acquiring some grenades by collecting metal and paste and building them in a lovely shack like some kind of virtual Unabomber. Gonna take our angst out on the man!

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I'm pretty sure no one beat the broodmother on an official PvP server until just the last couple days. At least, in the stream from a few posts back the dev said he didn't believe anyone had done it (so, as of Wednesday?). I think it's been done since, but everything I've seen/heard is that the mother is pretty loving terrifying. The only video of the full battle I've seen was a couple guys on an unofficial server with level 60 weaponry, an unrealistic amount of ammo when not using console commands, and two Rexes - both Rexes died, and the mother tanked hundreds of rounds.

^^^^ Unfortunately the metal building thing comes down to Early Access (tm) for now. The devs know it's a goddamn imbalanced headache, and have plans to fix it, but those plans require things that aren't in the game just yet (and in all likelihood won't be for quite awhile). Your best bet if not in a large tribe it to build small, hidden, and dispersed so that you might get ignored and won't lose too much when you aren't. I'm to the point where I think the best way to build is just a single-base wood hut, it's too inconvenient for people to punch their way into while also looking like a terrible loot source. Of course, this leaves your dinosaurs out to dry, but if you settle more inland and don't loving deforest everything you might be able to keep your pets hidden.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The dev's have talked about making crystals spawn in a few surface locations and bringing that cost back to grenades. But for now the reason they made grenades easy is that people were power levelling to 30 and blocking off all caves with metal walls, effectively locking everyone out.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

nightwisher posted:

I solved this problem by speccing to 240 oxygen, looking up the location of the nearest underwater cave to our location (the one at ~90,72) and swimming down there with a thatch foundation and bed. Actually finding the cave entrance was a complete bitch though because the massive rock segments underwater only pop in once you're within ~50 metres of them and the cave entrances are made up of such segments. I set up a bed down there and now I'm ferrying supplies down to it to lock it off to anyone else and get a small base operational. There's oil and pearls in the cave itself, and quite a few nodes and pearls surrounding the mouth of the cave that are safely harvestable. I give no shits about megalodons because I outswim them easily with the boosted swim speed from increasing oxygen.

Even then though, it's still only ~30 oil and ~150 pearls per harvesting run, and I don't think the resource nodes respawn too often.

Yeah I noticed the swim speed increase with my 200 oxygen. I wonder if there is any unlisted stat bonuses on that list. It would be loving awesome if they made it so the crafting points reduced crafting costs. I would become a full blown builder in a heartbeat. The players on my server can't even handle my single Ankylosaur. The only other dino I have tamed is a male dodo that lives in my cooking pot and shits eggs when you pull on it's dick.

My main base in the server I am playing on is in the dead center of the map so I am totally hosed for oil and pearls. The two close to shore underwater caves have camps right on the shore so players got the same idea you did. I can't even dive without taking fire from them. On another note how do they expect people to knock out a Megalodon without beaching the stupid thing all glitchy and then somehow not have the other sharks eat the loving thing while it is unconscious. I can only imagine how loving long it would take to tame a fuckoff shark.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Patch notes are up. Just going to link them since they're long. Here are some highlights, though:

- Spinosaurus
- Apparently options to get "massive" performance boosts\
- Grenade structure damage reduction
- Durability fixes
- More to come???

E: Some stuff didn't make it in. Apparently this weekend/next week, should expect level cap increase, flyers carrying dinos, and tribe governance options.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 12, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
spoiling timer exploit fixed, don't forget that in the notes

edit: also limited edition drops, one is from dilos and the other looks like a crafted rex thing? bullets also got a universal 20% buff

edit edit: and for the patriotic types we can have our fahrenheit temperatures too go america

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 12, 2015

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Drinkfist posted:

Yeah I noticed the swim speed increase with my 200 oxygen. I wonder if there is any unlisted stat bonuses on that list. It would be loving awesome if they made it so the crafting points reduced crafting costs. I would become a full blown builder in a heartbeat.

swim speed is listed on the official wiki but not in game: http://ark.gamepedia.com/Abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
Do resources respawn at some point? If so, roughly how long? Or can I clear-cut a road into the jungle forever