Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

big_g posted:

I've just got a base through I ordered ages ago so did a quick knock up of what the final gift should look like:

That's exceptional :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My wife's grandfather flew a B-25 in WW2, and a family friend let us come view a restoration-in-progress last weekend. (This is a B-25D I think, not sure what my g-pa-in-law flew)

I was picking up some stuff at Walmart today and saw they had the Revell B-25J kit. I picked it up. :unsmith: I'm really excited even though it's my first plane model and seems to be some distinct differences in workflow from tank modeling.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

COOL CORN posted:

My wife's grandfather flew a B-25 in WW2, and a family friend let us come view a restoration-in-progress last weekend. (This is a B-25D I think, not sure what my g-pa-in-law flew)

I was picking up some stuff at Walmart today and saw they had the Revell B-25J kit. I picked it up. :unsmith: I'm really excited even though it's my first plane model and seems to be some distinct differences in workflow from tank modeling.

High five plane model virgin! I'm nervously glancing at the Bf 109 kit sitting by my desk. I haven't built a plane since I hosed around with what I think was a 1/72 scale Blue Angels A-4 kit at age 12. It was not pretty.

Oh, and big_g, that looks amazing. Can't wait to see it finished. My own progress is less spectacular, but I built the Opel Blitz truck as well last night:

Now I just need to find where I put the masking tape that I bought, so that I can put a primer coat on it.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

Oh, and big_g, that looks amazing. Can't wait to see it finished. My own progress is less spectacular, but I built the Opel Blitz truck as well last night:

Now I just need to find where I put the masking tape that I bought, so that I can put a primer coat on it.

Looks promising, you got any ideas on colour schemes yet?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

big_g posted:

Looks promising, you got any ideas on colour schemes yet?

It's for late 41 on the eastern front, which afaik means maximum panzergrau, all the time. I could be wrong though.

E: after five vehicles painted panzergrau, i would not mind being wrong though.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 10, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC there were some vehicles painted with yellow splodges over the panzergrau that were intended for North Africa and ended up being sent East instead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also some East Front Opels were covered with mud to camouflage them better, that would be a fun thing to reproduce :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

I've just got a base through I ordered ages ago so did a quick knock up of what the final gift should look like:

The model is amazing, but I think the color and texture of the base is too busy. Takes the eye away from the model. Since the model itself is a lighter shade, a darker, less textured tone to the base would keep focus on the model.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd almost suggest making a little diorama base. Like some desert or what ever terrain the truck is supposed to be sitting on, then putting that on top of the wood.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

Also some East Front Opels were covered with mud to camouflage them better, that would be a fun thing to reproduce :)

There's a saying in the Russian army: "your vehicle will camouflage itself after 10 kilometers on any terrain". Panzergrau with a liberal sprinkling of dust would be most realistic for long marches in dusty steppes in 1941.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The model is amazing, but I think the color and texture of the base is too busy. Takes the eye away from the model. Since the model itself is a lighter shade, a darker, less textured tone to the base would keep focus on the model.

Good advice thanks, I'm going to see how it is with the wheels on and details etc, then might well use this base for something else and get a darker one for this.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask for a bit now you are posting in here all the time and you obviously know your stuff and I know you do the garage (?) stuff. You got any pics to post? I'd love to see them.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd almost suggest making a little diorama base. Like some desert or what ever terrain the truck is supposed to be sitting on, then putting that on top of the wood.

More excellent advice, something I will definitely think about.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

big_g posted:

Good advice thanks, I'm going to see how it is with the wheels on and details etc, then might well use this base for something else and get a darker one for this.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask for a bit now you are posting in here all the time and you obviously know your stuff and I know you do the garage (?) stuff. You got any pics to post? I'd love to see them.

Nothing new to post really. While I love the hobby, I'm the king of procrastinating, and I rarely, if ever, finish anything.

I keep trying to motivate myself to get more done, but it just never happens. That boat that I started months ago? I haven't even finished shaping the bulkheads, and that's basically step one of a thousand.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Nothing new to post really. While I love the hobby, I'm the king of procrastinating, and I rarely, if ever, finish anything.

I keep trying to motivate myself to get more done, but it just never happens. That boat that I started months ago? I haven't even finished shaping the bulkheads, and that's basically step one of a thousand.

Sort of wondered what became of the boat. :)

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I just ordered the Bandai snow speeder! All of the good things I've heard about the line got me all hyped up. :neckbeard:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Troll Bridgington posted:

I just ordered the Bandai snow speeder! All of the good things I've heard about the line got me all hyped up. :neckbeard:

Cool! That AT-ST I got is one of the nicest tooled kits I've ever seen.

The one odd piece are the pilot figures, which look like they were meant to go with a line of Lego Minis.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

There's a saying in the Russian army: "your vehicle will camouflage itself after 10 kilometers on any terrain". Panzergrau with a liberal sprinkling of dust would be most realistic for long marches in dusty steppes in 1941.

I'm so stealing that quote. What is it in Russian?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Sort of wondered what became of the boat. :)

Hopefully will still happen!

I think along with being a huge procrastinator, I take on too many projects at once as well. I was looking at my to-do pile the other day, and thinking of boxing half of it up just to get it out of sight, out of mind, so at least it doesn't look like I've got poo poo tons to get finished. I'm also working on getting a Hellboy prepped, and I got it super-cheap because it came at the tail-end of the moulds lifespan, so it has tons of flaws that need fixing. That's been bogging me down for a quite a while now, and just seeing it sitting there saps my energy. It doesn't help either that I work afternoons, so I can't really do any power-tool work when I get home at 9pm, which restricts a lot of my modeling time to a few hours on the weekend.

Oh well, I'm still having fun doing it all, I just have to put my nose to the grindstone and start getting some stuff actually fully finished. I'm hoping the little AT-ST kit might get me motivated, as it's a simple kit, and the finish is basically just battleship grey, with some soot and mild chipping. A nice little weekender kit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Pierzak posted:

Something to the effect of "Ваш танк маскируют себя после 10 километров." ("Vash tank maskEEruyut sebYA POsli DEsyat' kiloMEtrov.")

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

big_g posted:

Is your friend a kiwi? Or was that the truck name that came with the kit?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

Don't remember the original wording, sorry.

COOL CORN posted:

Something to the effect of "Ваш танк маскируют себя после 10 километров." ("Vash tank maskEEruyut sebYA POsli DEsyat' kiloMEtrov.")

Маскирует, маскируют is plural.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Don't remember the original wording, sorry.

Маскирует, маскируют is plural.

Whoops, long day :) спасибо братан

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So I came across this image:

And I said to myself, "are you loving kidding me?" Then I went to go work on my Panther, accidentally snapped the rubber-band-ish track in half, put up my tools, turned off the light in the craft room, and walked away in disgust.

Some days, you just have to take a zero and come back to it later. Sigh.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, how is that not a painting? That's amazing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Holy poo poo, how is that not a painting? That's amazing.

http://imgur.com/a/u33o3

There's the full album. It's almost literally unbelievable.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have this same model as #2 in my "to build" pile. I'm looking forward to see your WIP and final results so I can learn from your build.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

No Pun Intended posted:

Is your friend a kiwi? Or was that the truck name that came with the kit?

When the unit was formed it was mainly Kikis.

quote:

Bagnold wanted men who were energetic, innovative, self-reliant, physically and mentally tough, and able to live and fight in seclusion in the Libyan desert. Bagnold felt that New Zealand farmers would possess these attributes and was given permission to approach the 2nd New Zealand Division for volunteers; over half the division volunteered.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

To take a break from the large 1/6 stuff I decided to get back to some 1/35 stuff;

Took out the half finished sd.kfz 7 I was working on to finally fix the drive sprockets so the tracks fit properly, and broke the ring of rollers...
Took out the Stug III I almost finished and let a bag of MagicTrack tracklinks fall on the floor...
Took out the Pak 40 to glosscoat it so I can finish weathering it for a diorama and the goddamn nozzle of the can was half clogged so it came out all splotched.

Today is not a good day for modeling.... :smith:

By the way, in what order do you tank guys usually fix and paint the tracks? With the Stug I already glued on all the wheels etc and Ill fix the tracks, paint the underside and then attach the upper part, but with the sd.kfz 7 I'm planning to dry fit the wheels and fix the tracks to them so I can paint them as a unit, paint the rest of the vehicle and then attach the tracks/wheels.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
We all need to get rich enough to have a Modelling Butler, so when things clog or we lose parts in the carpet, we can just shout "JEEVES! I'm having a modelling issue. Beastly sorry, but could you take care of it for me?"

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

We all need to get rich enough to have a Modelling Butler, so when things clog or we lose parts in the carpet, we can just shout "JEEVES! I'm having a modelling issue. Beastly sorry, but could you take care of it for me?"

If I could have a Modelling Butler and if high detail disposable airbrushes were a thing I would be a happy man.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

COOL CORN posted:

http://imgur.com/a/u33o3

There's the full album. It's almost literally unbelievable.

http://leyuno.imgur.com/

He's got a lot of albums and they're all amazing. The 'wo bist du amerikaner' one is my favourite.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

kemikalkadet posted:

http://leyuno.imgur.com/

He's got a lot of albums and they're all amazing. The 'wo bist du amerikaner' one is my favourite.

Everything about this guys work is simply amazing. The paint, the detailing, the settings. Just marvelous.

Edit - Also:

:stare:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 11, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm beginning to think this is more than just a hobby for him.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Why would you have all the Vallejo and Citadel? That's like having expensive whiskey with some sort of American beer chaser.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibner posted:

I'm beginning to think this is more than just a hobby for him.

I actually don't think that everything in those albums is from the same guy, as they have different names, and the album with the work area setups has 10 or so pictures that are clearly different setups/areas. But I really love that desktop organizer system, and the pricing isn't really all that bad. Once I get the rest of my work area installed (which keeps getting pushed back for various reasons, mostly financial because I keep buying other expensive poo poo like lathes and mills) I am going to order some of them to organize my work area a lot better.

Edit: Link to the company that makes those things, they are awesome and modular - http://www.hobbyzone.pl/en/company/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sauer posted:

Why would you have all the Vallejo and Citadel? That's like having expensive whiskey with some sort of American beer chaser.

I know more than a few guys that have mixed collections of good quality and poo poo paints. Myself included; I've got a growing collection of expensive as poo poo Golden Acrylics, but I've still got a ton of Folk Art craft paints I use for down and dirty work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sauer posted:

Completeness and mixing purposes?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know more than a few guys that have mixed collections of good quality and poo poo paints. Myself included; I've got a growing collection of expensive as poo poo Golden Acrylics, but I've still got a ton of Folk Art craft paints I use for down and dirty work.

I have a bunch of Model Shipway's acrylic because I didn't know any better when I started ordering boats. I won't get any more of their paint, but I still use the stuff I have because it's what I started this project using, and it works ok if you prepare it properly and get it thinned right. Everyone on the ship forums claims it's impossible to get good results from these paints, but I do just fine with them, so whatever. As I move forward, I will be using better quality paints, but because I'm a pack-rat, I'm sure I'll keep all this MS paint around for a long time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nobody happens to have bought a Zvezda Hurricane I for Art of Tactic and not want the transfers, do they? I hosed up the "B"s so now it just looks weird.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

I actually don't think that everything in those albums is from the same guy, as they have different names, and the album with the work area setups has 10 or so pictures that are clearly different setups/areas.

Each album lists the artist, so they're definitely not the same person.

As far as the paints go, even though GW sucks in so, so many ways, Citadel paints are usually pretty good (until they dry out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Which is the bad paint, Vallejo or Citadel ?