Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
This is more for curiosity's sake for me, because it's a moot point because i'm quitting anyway, but I'm curious:

Let's say I'm a "management" employee. (I'm not, I have no direct reports, but i am classified as one) that has been assigned an "Emergency Work Assignment." What this is, is basically scabbing for striking union workers.

As a non-union employee, do I have any recourse to refuse to be a scab, other than quitting?

In reality, I'm quitting anyway, but I'm curious, as are others that I work with that are not quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Why can't you join the union?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
http://umaine.edu/ble/files/2011/01/Picket_line.pdf

quote:

If you are not a union member, you can legally refuse to cross a picket line, but you will not
have a union to represent you if your employer disciplines you for your refusal. Contact the
National Labor Relations Board on-line at https://www.nlrb.gov or by phone at (617) 565-6700.

Not sure why this is in SH/SC unless computers are staging a rebellion though. :shrug:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 13, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Lord Windy posted:

Why can't you join the union?

He's management.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mo_Steel posted:

http://umaine.edu/ble/files/2011/01/Picket_line.pdf

Not sure why this is in SH/SC unless computers are staging a rebellion though. :shrug:

he must be a computer program but then this thread should be in CoC.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

nitrogen posted:

As a non-union employee, do I have any recourse to refuse to be a scab, other than quitting?

Everything is negotiable.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If you're management you can refuse to do replacement work for striking workers because that work will not be listed in your contract. i.e. your job as listed in your employment contract is supervising cleaners. If your underlings don't show up for work, your boss can't force you to start cleaning, he can only force you to show up to work and supervise nonexistent cleaners.

Of course such a rule may not apply depending on what country or state you're in.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

he can only force you to show up to work and supervise nonexistent cleaners.
He can also then judge you on the performance of your staff, which in your scenario, would be quite poor.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I've never seen a contract that didn't say 'Other work as required' on it somewhere.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

FatCow posted:

He's management.

That normally doesn't exclude you from joining the union. At least in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

This is more for curiosity's sake for me, because it's a moot point because i'm quitting anyway, but I'm curious:

Let's say I'm a "management" employee. (I'm not, I have no direct reports, but i am classified as one) that has been assigned an "Emergency Work Assignment." What this is, is basically scabbing for striking union workers.

In reality, I'm quitting anyway, but I'm curious, as are others that I work with that are not quitting.

We dealt with this whenever contract negotiations came up. Management employees got assigned to all kinds of poo poo - driving trucks 3 states over, installing phone service in attics during the summer in Louisiana. None of them had to do it, but they got some rudimentary training I guess as leverage against the union.

And yeah, you're stuck doing it unless you can be classified as an essential employee. As for crossing picket lines, in our case the CWA worked out an agreement where they'd only picket one entrance. As long as no represented employees came in the back entrance, they'd let managers come in and out without a problem. The company actually forbade any represented employees from coming to work (deactivated their badges in case of strike) to ensure managers didn't have to cross a line.

What really sucks is being represented, but under a different contract with a different expiration date. In that case the union expects you to sympathy strike, but you can be fired for doing so. My shop steward alluded that if I didn't strike I probably wouldn't want to park my car at work. Fortunately I didn't have to test that hypothesis out.

• Locked thread