Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did you get the Graphical version?
http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

\/ Oh, Mac only seems to have Curses. Can you run the Linux version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you using an old version, perhaps?

Not sure how to check that (I'm on OSX), MOTD sez "v.0.C Cooper"?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

The Lone Badger posted:

Did you get the Graphical version?
http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

\/ Oh, Mac only seems to have Curses. Can you run the Linux version?

Maybe? I tried installing other versions before, and of course it was conflict madness hell with whatever stuff OSX ships with.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

You need to download the new version that has TILES in it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So in my current game I've hit a wall. I've gotten pretty much all the supplies and equipment I can from residential sources and I'm currently trying to see what I can do next. I tried getting stuff from a lab but got stopped dead by the turrets in there - they nearly killed me instantly. Right now I'm driving around looking for a mall or a military outpost or something I can raid for better equipment - is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I've watched 4 or 5 zombies try to endlessly kill a Riot Control Bot for 4 days straight now. I've made my home in a garage and the zombies are just swinging away.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

President Ark posted:

So in my current game I've hit a wall. I've gotten pretty much all the supplies and equipment I can from residential sources and I'm currently trying to see what I can do next. I tried getting stuff from a lab but got stopped dead by the turrets in there - they nearly killed me instantly. Right now I'm driving around looking for a mall or a military outpost or something I can raid for better equipment - is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Guns? Armor? Tools?

I'll say this though, work on getting your survival, tailoring, and fabrication skills up. Using those you can craft all sorts of useful stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

President Ark posted:

What are you doing with the turrets? They have a limited light range around them and can't see in the dark, approach them in the dark and shoot them from outside their light range.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Guns? Armor? Tools?

I'll say this though, work on getting your survival, tailoring, and fabrication skills up. Using those you can craft all sorts of useful stuff.

Armor, mostly. I have a trunk full of guns and ammo in my trunk.

OwlFancier posted:

What are you doing with the turrets? They have a limited light range around them and can't see in the dark, approach them in the dark and shoot them from outside their light range.

Walking around with a flashlight, of course. :downs:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, with decent tailoring skill you can reinforce your clothing with leather and kevlar patches. Otherwise keep an eye out for wreckage and dig through it, I frequently find MBR or Kevlar vests in them you can use for body armor or cut up for Kevlar patches.

Otherwise if you have a rifle with decent range (Such as a .223) and accuracy you could head to a military outpost. They'll be protected by turrets, but a decent rifle should outrange them and you can just potshot the things to bits and then loot the dead soldiers/zombie soldiers that're usually found at bases.

With high survival and fabrication skills alongside tailoring you can craft Survivor armor or Nomad gear. In fact Nomad gear isn't a bad start (though you'll fry in Summer).

Needs Tailoring 5 and maybe some survival or fabrication? I'm not sure. Anyways, once you make it sturdy (which also slightly increases defenses) and add kevlar/leather reinforcement it should have 15-16ish defense, which isn't to start with.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 13, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
While in newer versions there's an encumbrance penalty for it, you can use a tailoring kit to fuse Kevlar/Leather on everything you're wearing to bulk out your damage resistance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I recently picked the game back up again, did they remove burning zombie corpses to stop them from reanimating? I cleared off a little area and threw all the corpses into a pile and set that fucker on fire, all the corpses were called "burnt corpse" so I assumed I did it right. Few hours later they all jump out of the pile. Should I of kept burning them until the corpses became ash?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I recently picked the game back up again, did they remove burning zombie corpses to stop them from reanimating? I cleared off a little area and threw all the corpses into a pile and set that fucker on fire, all the corpses were called "burnt corpse" so I assumed I did it right. Few hours later they all jump out of the pile. Should I of kept burning them until the corpses became ash?

Yeah you have to burn them away for that to work. You can still butcher them or 's'mash them to keep it from happening.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah you have to burn them away for that to work. You can still butcher them or 's'mash them to keep it from happening.

Which is a lot faster and easier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do "pulped" corpses resurrect?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't think so, but I'm unsure if they can be turned into skeletons.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, you can unassign keys from wearable equipment? I'm mostly using poo poo like ! and * to manage the inventory of my fashionable character.

I think if you select the item and then hit space it'll assign the item you chose a blank.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

How should I raise electronics from 3 to 4 without reading skill books?

Also, is there a site that details all the crafting recipes you get from just leveling up skills?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you got a good bow and arrow or enough ammo for it, trip an alarm at a bank or gun store, get a bunch of pictures taken by an eyebot and then dismantle the resulting police bots and salvage their tazers until you can put them back together, and grind.

Of course this is presuming the info online is correct, I recently killed off my last character and didn't bother to grind the new one up much in the meantime.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

It was a school. Do you suppose that some of the mall zombies might've gotten attracted to the school? The two are sort of close to each other.

Oh, I misread your question entirely. Scout out the place from max visual distance and note the location of any hulks. Go in at night, cut through the courtyard at the back and raid the library, grab anything you want. If you pick up a zombie entourage, set fire to the place and run for it. Otherwise, go back out the way you came - the fence should interfere with any zombies trying to follow your scent trail.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No. 's'mashing corpses is a legit way of stopping them coming back up, though I just play with zombie revivification off.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I leave my shelter and find a pile of science IDs (and accompanying dead scientists). I check my map and find two labs within 10 tiles of my shelter.
Both are ice labs.
:negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tehan posted:

Oh, I misread your question entirely. Scout out the place from max visual distance and note the location of any hulks. Go in at night, cut through the courtyard at the back and raid the library, grab anything you want. If you pick up a zombie entourage, set fire to the place and run for it. Otherwise, go back out the way you came - the fence should interfere with any zombies trying to follow your scent trail.

Is the library in a set location? And classrooms and lockers can also have more books in them spread out through the school right?

Because if all the books are only in one location that is set then hell yes that would be awesome.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Grimman007 posted:

How should I raise electronics from 3 to 4 without reading skill books?

Also, is there a site that details all the crafting recipes you get from just leveling up skills?

The Cataclysm DDA item browser As I understand it, it gets its information straight from github, so it's not outdated like the wiki.

skills/electronics/3"]Items that primarily take electronics 3 to craft, although it does not include items that take electronics as a secondary skill

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Artificer posted:

Is the library in a set location? And classrooms and lockers can also have more books in them spread out through the school right?

Because if all the books are only in one location that is set then hell yes that would be awesome.

IIRC schools are an upside-down horseshoe shape, or maybe a letter H shape. The library is in the middle; the cafeteria is in one of the corners. Not sure if they change layouts. Classrooms can have books in the desk, but I don't recall ever finding a high-level book there (only in the library). Schools have an incredible amount of food though, both junk-food in the classrooms, and the bounty in the cafeteria itself. Also, they have :911:.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I just applied liberal amounts of molotovs to a fungal bloom after mag dumping my FAL into the spire.

gently caress this fungal poo poo. I went around exterminating every Fungaloid and Fungal zombie I could find. I hope it stays dead. :ohdear:

Afterwards I rooted around in my parts bin and realized I had a bunch of useful gun mods I had forgotten about. My FAL is now absolutely ridiculous. I took my knife and named it Coffinmaker,

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I am extremely inaccurate with guns. Even without encumbrance. What gives? I've upgraded my hunting rifle with as many mods as my skills allow and I have 2/3 in the relevant skills. My relevant stats are 10/11 which are a bit low as I've said before.

Am I just supposed to go full auto with assault rifles in that case? I don't have enough ammo for that... :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you just pushing "f" to bring up the fire menu and then "f" again to fire? There are options for aiming in the fire menu. You can push "." to aim for one unit of time, "a" for a quick aim, "c" for a careful aim, and "p" for precise aiming (I think these are just predefined amount of aim) The longer you spend aiming the better your chances of hitting and it helps reduce recoil (which'll kill your accuracy if you just rapidly fire off rounds with heavier guns).

There are two stat/bars in the aiming menu, Confidence and Steadiness. AFAIK Steadiness is related to recoil and effects dispersion while Confidence is a vague indicator of how likely you are to hit, the fuller the bar the better in each case.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you just pushing "f" to bring up the fire menu and then "f" again to fire? There are options for aiming in the fire menu. You can push "." to aim for one unit of time, "a" for a quick aim, "c" for a careful aim, and "p" for precise aiming (I think these are just predefined amount of aim) The longer you spend aiming the better your chances of hitting and it helps reduce recoil (which'll kill your accuracy if you just rapidly fire off rounds with heavier guns).

There are two stat/bars in the aiming menu, Confidence and Steadiness. AFAIK Steadiness is related to recoil and effects dispersion while Confidence is a vague indicator of how likely you are to hit, the fuller the bar the better in each case.

Steadiness is just a "how much time you have waited" bar. When it's full, you've steadied your aim as much as you can and waiting longer won't give you any benefit.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I think rifles have some kind of retarded penalty to hit unless you are standing like 2 miles from your target. With pistols and shotguns you just get up close to things and burst fire and things get hit and die.

e: I had an insane heavy rail rifle with huge damage and range and penetration and shooting at a fat zombie the rail bounced off its body and also "failed to penetrate its tough skin". Why yes a spike the size of your forearm travelling at railgun speeds will totally bounce off the dude's stomach. Must've been eating adamantium armor plating or something.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 13, 2015

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is the pnuematic assualt rifle better than the the pnuematic bolt thrower? It takes a bit long ot reload the bolt thrower for my taste.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carcer posted:

Is the pnuematic assualt rifle better than the the pnuematic bolt thrower? It takes a bit long ot reload the bolt thrower for my taste.

Assault rifle gives you 3 bursts, bolt driver gives you 8 shots. The bolt driver goes longer between reloads than the rifle, but you do need to retrieve spent ammo.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Except the rifle can be fired in single-shot mode and can drop normal zombies with a 1-2 good shots. So maybe 8 shots?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

At high skill levels you probably will find the assault rifle easier to use, as you'll get lots of criticals and headshots which apply big multipliers to your damage. So the bigger clip and lighter ammo will become more of an advantage.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Anticheese posted:

No. 's'mashing corpses is a legit way of stopping them coming back up, though I just play with zombie revivification off.

I do the same. I'm fine with the occasional special zombie that can get a corpse shambling again, but smashing every zombie corpse you make is just boring, annoying, repetitive busywork. Do they still come back with full health? I might like zombie revival if instead of just coming back, a corpse generated a weaker version of the zombie it was made from. I think a zombie that revives over time or from a master/necromancer should be a damaged, crippled version that's noticeably weaker than the original, and if it gets resurrected again it's even weaker. In return, necromancers and masters should probably get some kind of buff. I vaguely remember seeing something in this thread where someone had an idea where they could do something fun with a pile of corpses, like meld them together into a single stronger zombie of some kind.

Carcer posted:

I find the assault rifle much better than the bolt thrower. The only time I really liked the bolt thrower was when I made explosive bolts, and in those cases I'd probably have been better off just loading them into a crossbow. Pebbles are weak and take up a lot of volume, but you can make bearings which do more damage, are easier to make in bulk and take up FAR less space.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Slime posted:

I might like zombie revival if instead of just coming back, a corpse generated a weaker version of the zombie it was made from. I think a zombie that revives over time or from a master/necromancer should be a damaged, crippled version that's noticeably weaker than the original, and if it gets resurrected again it's even weaker. In return, necromancers and masters should probably get some kind of buff.

While this might be better from a gameplay standpoint, it directly contradicts the ingame lore that "if you don't kill a zombie the weird alien substance in it will make it come back stronger", and thus it'll never happen.

SergZpartan
Jun 20, 2008

:awesomelon:

(Yes it was all one pile in a lab)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What does "it layers easily" mean, exactly? Does it mean it does not add any encumbrance for wearing multiple items in the same body slot?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

What does "it layers easily" mean, exactly? Does it mean it does not add any encumbrance for wearing multiple items in the same body slot?

You normally get a penalty if you wear two pieces of clothing in the same layer of the same body slot - the layers are close to skin/normal/outer/strapped/waist. If something layers easily, you can have one other thing in that slot without the penalty kicking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

nftyw posted:

I think rifles have some kind of retarded penalty to hit unless you are standing like 2 miles from your target. With pistols and shotguns you just get up close to things and burst fire and things get hit and die.

Really? I haven't noticed. I don't seem to have any trouble blowing away stuff only a few squares from me using my FAL, even with minimal aiming. Then again it has been modified to have 0 dispersion and aim sight dispersion, so maybe that is it.