Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Just passed the n10-005 with a 807 I highly recommend Michael Meyers book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Has anyone taken the N10-006 yet? I decided to wait till A+ 800 series and the N10-005 expires and wanted to know the difference between both 005 and 006

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?

awesomebrah posted:

Just passed the n10-005 with a 807 I highly recommend Michael Meyers book.

Hey congrats!

I Just passed my 801/802 last month and currently studying Network+. Did you watch any videos with that book?

I am having trouble studying with just that book since there is a lot of new concepts to learn. I was thinking of subscribing to ITPro.tv since it is only 39.99 a month with a promo code. Unless you guys have any other recommendations?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

wca posted:

Hey congrats!

I Just passed my 801/802 last month and currently studying Network+. Did you watch any videos with that book?

I am having trouble studying with just that book since there is a lot of new concepts to learn. I was thinking of subscribing to ITPro.tv since it is only 39.99 a month with a promo code. Unless you guys have any other recommendations?

I watched Professor Messer's videos. I honestly think it was easier than the A+ just because most of the questions (At least for the 005.) were about troubleshooting rather than regurgitating memorized material.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm currently going for my CCENT, but a lot of these concepts are going completely over my head for some reason. Maybe I should step it down to Network+ so I can get a good baseline knowledge of networking?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Which concepts?

The CCENT is basically the same as the Network+ without token ring thrown in.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm currently going for my CCENT, but a lot of these concepts are going completely over my head for some reason. Maybe I should step it down to Network+ so I can get a good baseline knowledge of networking?

Just keep at it, there us a ton of info but you'll eventually figure it out.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tab8715 posted:

Which concepts?

The CCENT is basically the same as the Network+ without token ring thrown in.

Things must have changed since I've taken either exam, because there's a significant leap between "when should a fiber cable be used" and "calculate the STP path cost for Switch E."

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there a good way to get a discounted voucher for the Net+? I'm pretty much ready to take it, but my employer isn't doing reimbursement at all, and it is going to be hard to drop $300 on the test right now. If I can get it around $200 I'd probably go ahead and get it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Contingency posted:

Things must have changed since I've taken either exam, because there's a significant leap between "when should a fiber cable be used" and "calculate the STP path cost for Switch E."

There isn't any STP on the ICND1 exam, but yea I agree that it's more complicated than Net+, mostly because of all of the Cisco IOS stuff.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Contingency posted:

STP is on the icnd2.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

As I recall the CCENT is basically most of the N+ and a lots of show commands, configuring static routes, basic switch setups and more subnetting.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I've been going over the Sybex books for the 800 series A+ but I didn't plan to take them for another month or so. Would it be worth waiting for the 900 series since they were mentioned to come out fall this year? Also, is there a specified time frame for taking the 801/802? Do they assume you'll hit them both at the same time?

EDIT: found a Messer video on the second question.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 9, 2015

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there a good way to get a discounted voucher for the Net+? I'm pretty much ready to take it, but my employer isn't doing reimbursement at all, and it is going to be hard to drop $300 on the test right now. If I can get it around $200 I'd probably go ahead and get it.

GETCERT12015 will give you a 10% discount. I know there are companies out there that sell soon to expire vouchers but I have never used any of them so I can't really recommend one.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

I used http://www.getcertified4less.com/ for my Sec+ and didn't have any problems with it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

PneumonicBook posted:

There isn't any STP on the ICND1 exam, but yea I agree that it's more complicated than Net+, mostly because of all of the Cisco IOS stuff.

I checked and you're right--I took the previous version of the CCNA and heard that they moved some concepts from ICND2 to 1, but didn't actually check to see what topics were frontloaded. My mistake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm in the Stanly course for VCP5-DCV, and this guy just reads the slides out loud as slowly as humanly possible without really talking about anything interesting. Seriously, it sounds like he's recording these things while doing something else and half paying attention. Am I screwed for the exam or will a CCENT level of networking and a decent amount of experience building and deploying servers be enough to get me by?

I really don't want to have to sit through a million labs that are all "click this and wait half an hour for the loving thing to finish processing" and then have to read a 500 page book on top of it just to pass the exam.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

KillHour posted:

I'm in the Stanly course for VCP5-DCV, and this guy just reads the slides out loud as slowly as humanly possible without really talking about anything interesting. Seriously, it sounds like he's recording these things while doing something else and half paying attention. Am I screwed for the exam or will a CCENT level of networking and a decent amount of experience building and deploying servers be enough to get me by?

I really don't want to have to sit through a million labs that are all "click this and wait half an hour for the loving thing to finish processing" and then have to read a 500 page book on top of it just to pass the exam.

Unfortunately that's exactly the way ALL VMware VCP-DCV classes are taught. VMware provides the teaching material and instructors are required to follow the curriculum with very little additional content or commentary added. It's not about teaching the material well enough to pass the test, and all about jumping through the right hoops. That's why there's a huge demand for the Stanly classes - no one who's paying for the class out of their own pocket sees any reason to shell out upwards of $3500 just to watch a bunch of slides and hear someone read them. You will learn the material by creating a home lab, breaking it, fixing it, breaking it again, fixing it again, destroying the lab, and then rebuilding it from scratch. Rinse and repeat several times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why the gently caress does vmware require the class, then? It just feels like a giant waste of time. :psyduck:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KillHour posted:

Why the gently caress does vmware require the class, then? It just feels like a giant waste of time. :psyduck:

It's their answer to the problem of certs becoming meaningless. If you have to take a class, it limits the number of people who can get the cert.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The guy reading the slides is southern as hell and says things like "operatin' system" and it makes me laugh.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

KillHour posted:

A former supervisor once called the class "a stupid tax" - if you were dumb enough to take the boot camp on your own dime and shelled out the $3500 or so, rather than get on a wait list for a few months and then pay $225, you deserved to be called stupid. And the reason for the boot camp fees being so high is simple - they lease lab time from VMware, and VMware makes them pay through the nose. Stanly built their own lab system and bought the whole software suite, and I'm willing to bet that their investment has more than paid for itself by now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SaltLick posted:

The guy reading the slides is southern as hell and says things like "operatin' system" and it makes me laugh.

"An emulator is like... (15 second pause) If y'all are familiar with those... uh... (20 second pause) Nintendo ROMs, that's the difference..."

Does everybody in the south talk like they have nowhere else to be?

Also, the labs have about 5 minutes of actual content and 45 minutes of waiting for poo poo to load. I looked at the second lab and went "oh, this won't take long" so I only scheduled 45 minutes to complete the lab. The loving thing kicked me out on the last step and I had to do the entire thing over. :argh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea we do talk like that as we drink our sweet tea.

The biggest frustration was waiting for the stupid quizzes to be unlocked. Finished up the videos yesterday since they just now were able to be completed. I should finish up entirely by the weekend and then the real studying begins

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

"An emulator is like... (15 second pause) If y'all are familiar with those... uh... (20 second pause) Nintendo ROMs, that's the difference..."

Does everybody in the south talk like they have nowhere else to be?

Also, the labs have about 5 minutes of actual content and 45 minutes of waiting for poo poo to load. I looked at the second lab and went "oh, this won't take long" so I only scheduled 45 minutes to complete the lab. The loving thing kicked me out on the last step and I had to do the entire thing over. :argh:

That's the cost of paying $225 for the course and taking the class finishing it up in a couple of weeks versus paying $3500 and knocking it out in 5 days. I suppose if your company is paying for it the $3500 is no big deal, but when it comes out of my pocket I'll take the problems and inconvenience of having to pay only $225 any day.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's their answer to the problem of certs becoming meaningless. If you have to take a class, it limits the number of people who can get the cert.

They could do like ISC2 and just charge a shitload for the cert, plus require 5 subjects of qualification in addition to a professional vouch.

I'm hoping to take the CISSP for mid July, just the thought of losing $550 over a failed test is daunting.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Any recommendations for studying for the security+?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

awesomebrah posted:

Memorize the port chart and find a list of all the dumb variations on Phishing. For some reason it's important that you distinguish between Phishing, Vishing and Smishing.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Memorize the port chart and find a list of all the dumb variations on Phishing. For some reason it's important that you distinguish between Phishing, Vishing and Smishing.

Spear phishing and whaling too! :v:

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

awesomebrah posted:

Darril Gibson book and Professor Messer YouTube videos.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

crunk dork posted:

Spear phishing and whaling too! :v:

Whaling is a Vegas term that is cross disciplinary.

I actually think that the strategy behind spear-phishing is distinct enough to merit a separate term, but it is a subset of Phishing.

I'd feel like an idiot for saying "Smishing"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Unfortunately that's exactly the way ALL VMware VCP-DCV classes are taught. VMware provides the teaching material and instructors are required to follow the curriculum with very little additional content or commentary added. It's not about teaching the material well enough to pass the test, and all about jumping through the right hoops. That's why there's a huge demand for the Stanly classes - no one who's paying for the class out of their own pocket sees any reason to shell out upwards of $3500 just to watch a bunch of slides and hear someone read them. You will learn the material by creating a home lab, breaking it, fixing it, breaking it again, fixing it again, destroying the lab, and then rebuilding it from scratch. Rinse and repeat several times.

Posting again that the Sybex VCP book was what REALLY got me ready for the exam. The Stanly classes were nice walkthroughs of basic stuff, the book and repeating, repeating, repeating the practice bits was what really nailed it. http://www.amazon.com/VCP5-DCV-Cert...F91AC4741F3BA95

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

MJP posted:

Posting again that the Sybex VCP book was what REALLY got me ready for the exam. The Stanly classes were nice walkthroughs of basic stuff, the book and repeating, repeating, repeating the practice bits was what really nailed it. http://www.amazon.com/VCP5-DCV-Cert...F91AC4741F3BA95

I used the same book. It helped a lot!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I see the Scott Lowe book and that one mentioned all the time. I guess you can't really go wrong with either

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

SaltLick posted:

I see the Scott Lowe book and that one mentioned all the time. I guess you can't really go wrong with either

Scott Lowe's book was extremely useful, as was the Sybex book, plus I grabbed the official VCP study guide by Pearson. I read all three, had a couple labs set up, and I peeked under the skirts at our setup at work to get a feel for things there. And now that I've got my cert I'll be taking over as one of the Virtualization Admins for AFNET in 2 weeks. Finally! No more weekend and 3rd shift rotations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MJP posted:

The class itself is a drop in the bucket compared to what you really need to know.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ccna holders: how hard is the test itself, really, on a scale of 1 to 10

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 13, 2015

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ccna holders: how hard is it, really, on a scale of 1 to 10

Depends on your background but someone with a year or so of experience who studies for it should find it to be maybe a 5 or 6.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's hard to pin a number on because there are a lot of variables to think of. If I had to give one Id probably say a 4 for the first test, haven't taken the second one though.

I took icnd1 like two weeks ago, and I overestimated the difficulty. It's definitely a challenge, but in the sense that there is a broad set of topics that they will quiz you on. icnd2 appears to be much more focused as far as what the study material contains. I put in between 150 and 200 hours of study time on the first test and did extremely well, I've been working in IT for about 7 months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's no way to answer this. For all I know you're a complete idiot and as such I'd say it'll be insanely difficult.

On the other hand if you have a grasp on the knowledge itself it's not super hard.

Plenty of us have passed it.

ICND1 is a mile wide and an inch deep.
ICND2 covers about 1/4 of the first but delves into much deeper understanding