Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
I got in a big fight with my bf yesterday. When we're home smoking weed he thinks it's cool to blow the smoke in our cat's direction. The cat willingly comes up and everything, it's not like my bf is seeking him out or anything. He's a fairly big cat, too, and doesn't seem to mind it, but I still don't like it. I feel like there's probably some health issues with getting a cat high like that. I'm not even sure if it works. Bernie doesn't act any different after he's been smoked out. I still don't like it. Tell me I'm right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Make your boyfriend watch all four seasons of Wilfred. Just make sure he finishes it or it will have the reverse effect your looking for.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
is it ok to give children drugs even if they say they want some?

No, because they don't understand the risks and meaning of what they're seeking out.

Don't get your pets high (except for catnip, because that's hilarious, j/k it's well studied with cats and they can find it growing in the wild in the same form)

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

pandaid posted:

is it ok to give children drugs even if they say they want some?

No, because they don't understand the risks and meaning of what they're seeking out.

Don't get your pets high (except for catnip, because that's hilarious, j/k it's well studied with cats and they can find it growing in the wild in the same form)

See, that's what the bf says. He says "you don't have a problem with catnip, so how is this any different?" It's different to me. I'm pretty sure it's not medically okay. He also says that our cat is an adult so it's not the same as giving it to a kid.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You've got a real winner of a BF, OP.

Catnip doesn't work like smoke blown in the cat's face. Unless your worthless bf wants to give kitty an inhaler, don't do it. Hope that helps.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's probably fine and doesn't even do anything.

:weedass:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's hosed up.

Your boyfriend's an rear end in a top hat.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There is extremely little research on THC/marijuana in companion animals. It is known that the metabolism of THC is different, but that's close to it.

While certainly a fair number of people give their pets marijuana, there is no research on long term health effects in pets; behavioral or physical. Anecdotally, some people claim that it has similar effects to that in people, however since most anecdotes are coming from the people who are getting their animals high and looking to prove themselves right, I consider that evidence to be... suspect.

As cats quite commonly get asthmatic and respiratory disease, and commonly associated with airborne particulates (smoke, dust, fragrances), I would recommend against providing additional irritation.

Dogs like drinking anti-freeze, does that mean we should let them?

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

HelloSailorSign posted:

There is extremely little research on THC/marijuana in companion animals. It is known that the metabolism of THC is different, but that's close to it.

While certainly a fair number of people give their pets marijuana, there is no research on long term health effects in pets; behavioral or physical. Anecdotally, some people claim that it has similar effects to that in people, however since most anecdotes are coming from the people who are getting their animals high and looking to prove themselves right, I consider that evidence to be... suspect.

As cats quite commonly get asthmatic and respiratory disease, and commonly associated with airborne particulates (smoke, dust, fragrances), I would recommend against providing additional irritation.

Dogs like drinking anti-freeze, does that mean we should let them?

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I tried to Google it, but the links are mostly stoners talking about getting their pets high. I know my boyfriend is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he gives me a place to live and he's wealthy and good in bed so :shrug: I don't want him to make our cat sick though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Your boyfriend needs to step his game up!

http://www.ketv.com/Deputies-Kitten-Found-Stuffed-Inside-Marijuana-Bong/10184720

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yes, it is super hosed up.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

misty mountaintop posted:

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I tried to Google it, but the links are mostly stoners talking about getting their pets high. I know my boyfriend is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but he gives me a place to live and he's wealthy and good in bed so :shrug: I don't want him to make our cat sick though.

Most of my anecdotal experience lies with dogs, as most cats are not stupid enough to eat whatever they find on the ground on outside walks (maybe if they had more outside walks they would?).

In cats, the anecdotal reports I've heard is that they can get super calm or super agitated, but that previous response may or may not predict future response.

Basically, if your boyfriend wants to have stoned bonding sessions with your cat, tell him to get a store of cat nip so the two of them can partake in their own special kind of high together.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
your cat is not a human adult with the ability to comprehend long term risk vs. short term gain. It also doesn't speak, so there's no way to even have a conversation to assess its ability to understand what's going on.

Your cat has a brain the size of a walnut.

Just because your bf wants something to be true doesn't make it that way. BTW, inhaling smoke of any kind really isn't that great for human lungs either. His older self will thank his younger self if he could knock off the smoke part.

catnip works the way it does because its chemically similiar to cat pheromones/hormones. It makes them excited in various ways because they're wired to be sensitive to such chemicals. Perhaps it's just a funny coincidence in nature, but all the research has shown that it's otherwise harmless. Not the same for pot.

See the difference - one is well studied, works due to the way it smells/importance of smells for cats, used in a much milder way (not smoke) just potpourri essentially, the other is a known psychoactive substance in humans, is created by burning things and inhaling everything that was burned, has known side effects that occur in humans, etc.

pandaid fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 13, 2015

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

HelloSailorSign posted:

Most of my anecdotal experience lies with dogs, as most cats are not stupid enough to eat whatever they find on the ground on outside walks (maybe if they had more outside walks they would?).

In cats, the anecdotal reports I've heard is that they can get super calm or super agitated, but that previous response may or may not predict future response.

Basically, if your boyfriend wants to have stoned bonding sessions with your cat, tell him to get a store of cat nip so the two of them can partake in their own special kind of high together.

It's more of a spur of the moment thing with him. We talked about it again and he says he won't do it anymore though, so thanks everyone.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
My cat once chewed her way into a grow-op tent, ate several plants all the way down to the dirt then stretched out under the lights and passed out.
Ever since then, she has become a marijuana addict and will steal and eat any weed she finds.

Please don't get your pets high, it's not like they'll ever match bowls with you. loving freeloaders...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I have lived around animals exposed to weed smoke for years. Never deliberately blown in their face mind you, just living in a home that smells of weed a lot. The only thing I ever noticed was my friend's dog would be tired as hell after we had smoked. Of course we would go outside and she would run and jump and play so I don't really know if the weed had any real effect on her.

I won't blow smoke in an animal's face though. That's hosed up.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
I see no issue with this. I've given dogs beer before and it's hilarious. I can't imagine there's enough in second hand smoke to do anything to a cat.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't blow smoke at our cats or dog but i mean, if they're in the garage already i don't take them elsewhere. Maybe you should start smoking catnip or something and quit demanding validation from the internet over your boyfriend. You sound like a riot.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

jlechem posted:

I see no issue with this. I've given dogs beer before and it's hilarious. I can't imagine there's enough in second hand smoke to do anything to a cat.

Hey so this is super bad for your dogs and you shouldn't do it

Just saying

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My idiot friend once got my little hell dog drunk. I was so loving mad, but I had to go to work. So she had to stay in my house and nurse both of their hangovers with Pedialyte and bread. And then she never did it again.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Suspect Bucket posted:

My idiot friend once got my little hell dog drunk. I was so loving mad, but I had to go to work. So she had to stay in my house and nurse both of their hangovers with Pedialyte and bread. And then she never did it again.

This seems very bad because I'm going to guess dogs have smaller less tolerable organs, as far as weed goes I think it could be hit or miss maybe bad for their mind and mood, but probably not a real health risk as THC can't really physically harm you.

So after much research: Do not get your dog more than a tiny bit high, and do not get him at all drunk.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

extra stout posted:

This seems very bad because I'm going to guess dogs have smaller less tolerable organs, as far as weed goes I think it could be hit or miss maybe bad for their mind and mood, but probably not a real health risk as THC can't really physically harm you.

So after much research: Do not get your dog more than a tiny bit high, and do not get him at all drunk.

Woah, dogs are COMPLETELY different from humans.

Most drugs that work on humans do not work in the same way as dogs. They are not just smaller versions of humans. Chocolate and THC are not going to kill a HUMAN. Acetaminophen and Pseudophedrine are helpful to HUMANS. But studies and human experience show that the theobromine in chocolate causes an unhealthy increase in heart rate in dogs. Acetaminophen aka Tylenol causes kidney damage in dogs. Pseudophedrine, or Sudafed, clears up our cold. It can give your dog a seizure. So what's THC gonna do?

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/marijuana/
http://drbarchas.com/marijuana
http://www.mjinews.com/dog-ate-stash-pets-ingest/

Some dogs who were already terminally ill have benefited from THC. Some healthy dogs have had disastrously bad sounding trips. You want to do that to your dog? Be that rear end in a top hat who makes them hella hungry, unable to swallow, drool excessively, and lie in the dog bed going WHY IS THIS MINUTE TAKING A loving HOUR AAAAAAAAA WHY AM I AT THE VET AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHY ARE MY PAWS SO BIG

And what exactly is 'a tiny big high'? Who's to judge? We are humans between 100-300lbs. Some of us have tolerances. Your pet weighs between 1-2000 lbs, depending on what you have, rat to horse. Your dog is somewhere between 5-150. That's a HUGE range. WE ARE NOT VETS (most of us). We are not in any way educated enough to determine what a 'tiny' amount of THC is. Can the average smoker even determine the THC dose they're getting? Can they even guess?

WHOOOOO loving KNOWS. But in any case, Do Not Expose Your Animal To THC.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 20, 2015

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

misty mountaintop posted:

I got in a big fight with my bf yesterday. When we're home smoking weed he thinks it's cool to blow the smoke in our cat's direction. The cat willingly comes up and everything, it's not like my bf is seeking him out or anything. He's a fairly big cat, too, and doesn't seem to mind it, but I still don't like it. I feel like there's probably some health issues with getting a cat high like that. I'm not even sure if it works. Bernie doesn't act any different after he's been smoked out. I still don't like it. Tell me I'm right.

What did your bf say was good about blowing the weed smoke in your cat's face?

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit

Grandmother of Five posted:

What did your bf say was good about blowing the weed smoke in your cat's face?

He thinks it's funny :negative:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Your boyfriend is trash.

You should euthanize him.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Please do not weed your pets. Please do, however, punch your boyfriend in the balls and possibly trade him in for a different model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
sever.

• Locked thread