Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

minimaps
LA Noire's map is vast and the minimap is no help whatsoever in navigating it. The street layout is 95% rectangular grid and all you get on the minimap is a blip on the edge. More often than not, especially for the random street crimes, your destination turns out to be all the way across the map. The only other navigational aid is your partner, and he has to be prompted and will tell you "left at the next intersection" in the time it takes you to shoot over that intersection and get halfway to the next.

It's an impressive map, mind. Just impractical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RyokoTK posted:

I actually think GTA 5 handled this really well. The GPS in the mini-map is really useful, it plots a smart and direct route to your goal and draws a path on the streets in the mini-map... but if all you do is stare at the map, you're going to slam into other cars constantly and never get anywhere. So you have to use the map smartly, figure out how many blocks you need to go before you turn, and actually pay attention to where you're driving.

That's not actually fixing the problem he's talking about. Saint's Row 3 putting giant "turn here" arrows in the world instead of just on the map fixes the problem.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That "fixes" the problem by putting gigantic loving glowing video game arrows in the middle of the street, which is not actually a desirable solution for a lot of games.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't see how following along a map to a certain point can be hard for anyone. How do you guys even navigate menu's to get to the game?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Ugh, I just hit the Really loving Annoying scenario in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, La-La Land. There's one minorly annoying goal (Have a VIP look at a fireworks show! Hope he pays attention!) and two significantly annoying ones (Two VIPs want to see two differently scened areas that basically require you to build isolated themed zones, and it has a buggy ride pre-built for you.

What's buggy about the ride?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RyokoTK posted:

That "fixes" the problem by putting gigantic loving glowing video game arrows in the middle of the street, which is not actually a desirable solution for a lot of games.

Unless you're playing The Getaway, a game that has no HUD in the name of realism yet also has you recovering from gunshot wounds by leaning against a wall and breathing heavily for a few moments, the screen is already covered with non-diegetic poo poo anyways so I don't see why that would be the thing to push it over the edge and break to your immersion.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't see how following along a map to a certain point can be hard for anyone. How do you guys even navigate menu's to get to the game?
The whole problem is that you end up following the minimap and staring at the corner of the screen while ignoring the actual environment.

Hell, in any Rockstar game I played, when you chase or tail someone following the dot on the map actually works a lot better than trying to keep them in sight from your own POV.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My Lovely Horse posted:

The whole problem is that you end up following the minimap and staring at the corner of the screen while ignoring the actual environment.

Hell, in any Rockstar game I played, when you chase or tail someone following the dot on the map actually works a lot better than trying to keep them in sight from your own POV.

Most of my horse time in The Witcher 3 is spent watching the minimap for sharp turns or intersections to make sure the horse doesn't come to a full stop or take a wrong turn. If I'm on foot, which I frequently am, I pay more attention to my surroundings since I ran headlong off a cliff about 10 minutes into the game.

A thing dragging TW3 down is the narration on loading screens that doesn't actually hide any loading, sometimes. If I go back to a previous area to make sure I cleared it of those precious gwent cards or I pushed the plot ahead and want to do a side quest, Dandelion pops up and gives a now anachronistic narration that I cannot interrupt. I've heard about Ciri not actually being here about 10 times, man, shut up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RyokoTK posted:

For what it's worth I really liked how in Far Cry 2 the 'map' was an actual map you laid out on your lap/over the steering wheel and you actually had to aim down to look at it. Not everyone's ideal but it made the game very immersive for me.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Away all Goats posted:

For what it's worth I really liked how in Far Cry 2 the 'map' was an actual map you laid out on your lap/over the steering wheel and you actually had to aim down to look at it. Not everyone's ideal but it made the game very immersive for me.

It was also great because if you were reading the map you could barely see the road. The number of times I ran off the road, or ran over something because I wasn't paying attention is too high to count :allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

What's buggy about the ride?

It occasionally doesn't let people off, making people on the ride, and waiting for said ride, mad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

It was also great because if you were reading the map you could barely see the road. The number of times I ran off the road, or ran over something because I wasn't paying attention is too high to count :allears:

Yuuup, I ran into so much poo poo while trying to sneak a quick peek at the map. I loved it. Fry Cry 2 was a flawed game but drat did it do a lot right, especially in the details of the animations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

This is all the stuff I adored with Far Cry 2, it felt like you had a body in the game.

Dragging down Far Cry 2: The respawning enemies :regd08:

Really, they could of just made the respawning happen after a 24 hour period and everything would be great. Or even letting me get far enough away, while looking for diamonds I cleared out an outpost, drove out a bit but was still in the same map and really not that far away from the outpost, drove back and it was fully staffed again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Arrath posted:

Fry Cry 2 was a flawed game but drat did it do a lot right, especially in the details of the animations.

The animations are great.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Esroc posted:

Related, I picked up Elder Scrolls: Online and have found it pleasantly enjoyable. It's far from perfect, but I'm having enough fun that I know I'll get my money's worth out of it at the very least.

However one of the bigger things dragging it down is that the plot and dialogue is written as a single player game. The NPC's rarely, if ever, acknowledge that you're just one player among thousands. So the quests end up inconsistent since you'll inevitably complete 99% of them alongside two dozen other players while the NPC's will behave as if you are the only person in the world doing anything. It also ruins any sense of accomplishment since spelunking into a dangerous cavern to fight an all-powerful necromancer means you'll be accompanied by other players that the game won't acknowledge in any way and you all get credit for any quests completed regardless of any actual teamwork.

Simply tweaking the writing to acknowledge other players would fix all of this. Instead of "Head down to the beach and wipe out the Maormer invaders" it should be "I've sent other agents down to the beach to wipe out the Maormer invaders, go aid them." Bam, problem fixed.

Nothing like walking into an ancient ruin and listening to your companion gape about how we must be the first people to set foot in here in centuries while the two dozen other players that got there before you are rolling around in the background.

I agree that I'm enjoying the game a lot but there are a lot of silly moments like that. Most of the time I'm able to rationalize the other players as just being other wandering adventurer/mercenary types like you and that works well enough most of the time but the game really needs more instanced quests to prevent stuff like heist missions where there are about three times more heisters disguised as servants than there are actual servants.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It's not a matter of difficulty in the slightest. It's just a matter of personal preference. It'd be nice if there were an option to have a Gold trail style navigation aid as an option, or even just have the objective marker on the main screen like Skyrim does. I'd just like to be looking at my main screen without having to look at my mini map every few seconds.

It's a minor complaint, I know. But, I just wish more game designers would do this, even as optional settings.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
One of Miasmata's core gameplay mechanics is having a map, and triangulating your position using landmarks to hopefully not get terribly lost and die, because if you can't actually figure out where you are on the map using landmarks around you it doesn't show you where you are on the map. It's really great gameplay when you run away from the beast on the island, only to become hopelessly lost wondering through the jungle, hoping to come across anything familiar to help get your bearings to get back to your base before nightfall.

But the beast kind of drags the game down, it would have been better just Man VS Nature, getting lost from accidentally rolling down a hill and can't get back up, but gotta have enemies or else it isn't 'actually a video game'.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Well this is embarassing; it turns out my earlier RCT3 example was based on reading too much :spergin: stuff when I was young and first played the game. I always read that having specific folks wanting specific themes meant a ton of specific rides and hope it worked out. Nope, it turns out you just plop them down on a little path surrounded by scene-appropriate decorations for like 2 minutes. :sigh: why didn't I find that out back then?

In exchange, I'll bitch about another thing: sometimes the game will give "Hey people can't get to X ride!" alerts, times every ride in my park... despite every ride having people getting to it just fine. Don't lie to me, game!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cataclysm DDA: Cooking with a fire outdoors your character will inhale smoke, start coughing so much it actually damages your torso and spams you with "You were hurt, stop cooking?"

Hey jackass, here is an idea: Stand upwind from the smoke.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if I should just edit by above post, but it's been a few days, so whatever:

Just bought Defense Grid 2 and it's reminded me about how bad I am at levels in the first game where your towers create the maze the enemies go through. I'm not knocking the game doing it, it's an awesome little twist, but man do I have a habit of sucking at it. Sometimes I'll make a path and be :dance:ing proud of it, only to do badly in the end because I didn't realize I should've put something ~here~ so that they take more time ~there~.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Leal posted:

Cataclysm DDA: Cooking with a fire outdoors your character will inhale smoke, start coughing so much it actually damages your torso and spams you with "You were hurt, stop cooking?"

Hey jackass, here is an idea: Stand upwind from the smoke.

This sounds like something only a true pale skinned nerd would come up with.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

This sounds like something only a true pale skinned nerd would come up with.

It's more along the line of "House fires make people die of smoke inhalation" --> "Fires produce Smoke" --> "Campfire = Fire"

It's pretty sweet burning poo poo down in Cataclysm.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Indie Indonesian horror game DreadOut recently got a big overhaul, including (finally) the release of the second act of the game. Unfortunately, it causes problems with some textures only loading at very low resolution on 64bit OSes.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The Witcher 3 has little storyboard images accompanied by in-character narration whenever you load the game. Presumably they hide loading screens, but they are much longer than the average loading screens in the rest of the game and there is no in game option to disable them. Not only are they pretty annoying when you've seen the same one after reloading a section you screwed something up on, but they also play when you fast-travel to any of the other in game provinces.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Jaramin posted:

The Witcher 3 has little storyboard images accompanied by in-character narration whenever you load the game. Presumably they hide loading screens, but they are much longer than the average loading screens in the rest of the game and there is no in game option to disable them. Not only are they pretty annoying when you've seen the same one after reloading a section you screwed something up on, but they also play when you fast-travel to any of the other in game provinces.

Supposedly you can skip them if the background loading is already finished, but of course it's never an option on a PS4 because loading times are too long for that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

All the traversal in WItcher 3 is starting to wear on me. Why did they feel the need to make you find a sign post in order to fast travel?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

there is a mod to get rid of the narration if you're on the PC

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

J-Spot posted:

All the traversal in WItcher 3 is starting to wear on me. Why did they feel the need to make you find a sign post in order to fast travel?

The game has a few of those "frustration mechanics" (as opposed to "anti-frustration mechanics"):
- when whistling for your horse, it spawns (if it does, which it sometimes doesn't) a few meters away from you, in a place in which you can't see it. Thanks to the bad pathfinding, walls and tress, it means that sometimes you wait for the horse to arrive far longer than necessary (or have to come to it traversing said wall and trees), and if it's already appearing out of thin air, why not have it appear by your side?
- inability to interact with anything while riding a horse, like, say, a road for fast travel purposes
- running does not make you automatically jump over little steps and fences, so you come to a stop (or, randomly, run full speed into one and have to steer awkwardly), perform a slow jump animation and run again
- the same as above, but with the horse - thankfully the horse doesn't take falling damage, so if you can force it to jump from mountains you'll survive
- the aforementioned inability to fast travel unless touching a road sign, which becomes even more frustrating due to many fetch quests the game has (only sometimes instead of fetching items, you fetch people)
- weight limit, and the inventory does not tell you how much individual tabs' items weight and if you have enough of them to craft a new item
- no in-game list for Gwent cards so unless you consult an external source, you've no idea if you're missing one card or a hundred; also, the "play Gwent" option with random, non-story related people is white if you've never selected it and grey if you did, but it does not differentiate between simply playing and winning, and only if you win do you get a new card - of course, it's only a problem if you don't win at the first opportunity, but why not add a simple notification? Or even an in-game list of Gwent players, your records with them and what card they gave?

Seriously, many people are claiming that The Witcher 3 is now some standard for an open world game formula, but outside of quest design (although it has its share of cookie cutter and fetch quests), character interaction and very pretty graphics (unfortunately apparently they're too much for the PS4, because the performance is very bad) the gameplay itself has so many flaws I hope it won't effect the landscape in that regard. Playing the game is a chore, experiencing the story is neat and worth it, though, but frustrating as hell.

And the weirdly vocal anti-critical part of the fanbase drags the game's launch down for me a bit, now that I actually have a game many people like - explaining away every flaw, making excuses for clearly flawed game systems, getting irritated when people clearly liking the game make frustrated post about some flaws, just why? The game won't become better if you hide its flaws, it won't become worse when you criticize them - or hell, even if someone were to make them up.

I've said many words on this game, but that's because I care :v:

Lord Lambeth posted:

there is a mod to get rid of the narration if you're on the PC

Also this has always been a boon to PC gaming, but there are no mods for the console versions, so we either have to put up with it or wait for a patch.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 08:54 on Jun 22, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I started playing Arkham Knight and I am so disappointed. Like, disappointed enough that I feel compelled to write about it instead of go the gently caress to sleep like a healthy person.

It's not a bad game and it's obviously suffering from the weight of two great prior installments-- "third in the trilogy is the weakest" rule is in full effect here--but even giving Arkham Knight all the benefits of the doubt and my own bias I'm amazed at how annoyed I am by this game. If I hadn't gotten it as part of a "free" download bundle alongside Witcher 3 with my new GPU I'd be looking for a refund.

To start, here's the biggest problem-- the writing. It sucks. It sucks on toast. It is absolutely everything you picture when you picture a hack superhero story. There are oodles of dialogue that should have been trimmed and the VAs are clearly trying to work around. Cliche conventions and lines of dialogue abound in the worst ways possible. The pacing is atrocious right out of the gate.

Like, I don't suck Paul Dini's dick. I don't like Harley Quinn; I think he took way more credit than he was ever actually due for Batman: The Animated Series; and a lot of his other projects have left me going "that was adequate," but good god am I about to suck Dini's dick now because apparently that man was essential in keeping these games from being everything I hate about bad Batman writing. Sefton Hill--and whomever the two underlings Martin Lancaster and Paul Crocker are--are clearly inadequate. Then we have that awful cliche line from the trailers "this is about the night the Batman died." That alone should tell you how bad the writing is going to be, but jesus gently caress it's actually worse than that. Seriously who the gently caress let this Sefton Hill rear end in a top hat write the script? It really does smell of a guy who was only given the job because he was a project lead on the last two games and got arrogant about his capabilities. I might be dynamite at managing the kitchen at a restaurant but that doesn't mean when the star chef leaves I go back into the kitchen as though I'll be able to keep those Michellin Stars. Why the gently caress does Sefton Hill think he could take over for Paul Dini? Is there seriously no other DC talent sitting around who would have wanted this project?

And then there's plain old bad game design. Spoilers are going to be tagged out of respect from hereon out. The very opening is actually pretty great, with the player having to ignite the Joker's body with a button press, and then everything goes downhill really quickly. We're treated to a Gotham City where the people in charge of character and interactive models, and environment/landscape designers seem to have been on two completely different wavelengths. The characters and models are still in that "Gothic/Art Deco/Modern mash-up of the first two games while the city itself is almost entirely an attempt to be as real as real can be to show off the new graphics tech, which I wouldn't mind but the contrast is noticeable because the very first thing they have you do is control some doomed NPC in a 50s-style diner in a lovely scripted event straight out of Call of Duty.

After that things pick up a bit because the core gameplay is still solid, but wait-- now instead of a quick-change menu in the lower left-hand corner we have to go to a separate pause menu when we use the D-Pad to change our gear. This is to free up button space for the new Batmobile, Mission Objective, and AR Training buttons. Holy gently caress is that trying to fix what isn't broken. I'm not going to talk about it as much as the other flaws, but it's probably the worst change overall because it actively fucks with your mechanical sense of flow, and it's hard to convey that unless you've played prior Arkham games and Arkham Knight in close proximity.

So yay, what's next? How about forced Batmobile segments. At first I was on-board because hey that's the big new feature of this game, this map of Gotham was clearly designed for driving, and maybe the plot will get rolling once I get it out of the way. No, that doesn't happen. Of course that doesn't happen.

Instead we immediately launch into boring scripted chase sequences, rescuing Poison Ivy to kick-start the detective part of the story, and then we're forced into a horrible and unskippable tutorial level to learn to use a function you need for the next car sequence that exists for no practical reason other than to force you to try an AR Mission. Everything the tutorial teaches you would have been better implemented right into the next car sequence in the Metroidvania/Zelda way that every other Arkham game has done such things. Holy poo poo are these really the same guys making this? Not only that, but The Batmobile basically handles like a cross between a GTA Car, and a vehicle from Halo. It's perfectly functional but I ditched that thing the absolute first second I could. Aside from bullet-trails coming off of your "unmanned" tank opponents nothing about the Batmobile segments were anything new to me. I'm sure if you're in that 8-18 demo this game is very clearly aiming for--to a much higher degree than the previous two--then it's the bee's loving knees but I was very underwhelmed.

Now ok, we're finally back, where do we go from here? To the GCPD of course where we're forced to parade through more awful dialogue that I began to straight-up skip at this point, something I never did in any prior Arkham game, and deal with the laziest loving trophy room I have ever seen. I wouldn't even care, but this series has already proven it can do so much better than this Remember how creative and interesting The Penguin's Trophy Room in the Natural History Museum was in Arkham City? Get ready to look at plain-rear end glass cases filled with iconography from each villain who has previously appeared in any of the other three Arkham games with the same dull voice over when you click on them for more info. What an absolute loving waste.

Ok ok ok. So if I hate this so much why am I still playing? Because I'm hoping that if I listen to a little more of this preamble bullshit I can start expediting cutscenes, get all the major tutorial and introductory bullshit out of the way, and enjoy what is still a fun exploration/combat system in absolutely breathtaking environments. So I put up with it, and now I learn that instead of being physically confined in some way to listen to the bullshit in-engine cutscenes now there are literal invisible walls. That's plain lazy And instead of having a long and winding semi-linear story where the objective meanders from Rogue to Rogue with optional side missions and mostly free exploration, now I have some bullshit Mission Objective System where I can advance the main plot with big glaring "FIGHT THIS ROGUE HERE" side missions bolted on, even though literally everything about the A-plot up to this point has an apocalyptic sense of urgency. Holy loving balls that undercuts the tension of this story. Like yeah Arkham Asylum and City had high stakes from the get-go, but in Asylum you were on a fairly linear path and in City there wasn't a sense of urgency as much as "Arkham City needs to be ended, let's deal with what's in front of us and go from there." Arkham Knight has a plot of "SCARECROW GONNA gently caress US ALL UP IN A HOT MINUTE" yet we immediately take a break so Batman can investigate a few bodies and play grab-rear end with the Riddler.

And that's all there is to loving do once you start. You start on one island with literally 4 or so objectives, one of which is to lurch the main plot forward and the others which are all opening act bullshit with no payoff. Like seriously how the gently caress did this get past the first drafts if they've been planning this game since Arkham City's development 5 goddamn years ago?

I'm not expecting people to agree, but I had to get that out. I haven't been this disappointed with a time-killer theme park of a game in a good long while. Is this what all the major game releases are now? I'm going to grind through this game for a little while longer, at least until Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman show up and I get to see how the team combat works, but considering how little I actively looked for this release I'm pretty drat let down.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Lol the game has been out for like 6 hours at this point dude.

I don't plan on getting it yet but that is a whole lot of words about a game that jut released.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jesus christ we've hit peak mind the walrus

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Lol the game has been out for like 6 hours at this point dude.

I don't plan on getting it yet but that is a whole lot of words about a game that jut released.

What a maroon lol

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Alouicious posted:

What a maroon lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lol about complaining about the writing in a Batman simulator

I didn't play as long as you but I definitely was able to swoop down from a rooftop and beat the poo poo out of some poorly dressed gangsters, so it delivers on the fronts I find important. Shame you had such a poor first impression but maybe try to lighten up a bit?

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I'm way out of date here what the game being dead for years but…..Sacred 2. The inventory is a grid but the items and weapons are different shapes. A potion is 1x1 but a sword might be 2x4. This means they had to program a way of sorting these shapes and there could be enough capacity in your inventory for an item but not enough room so you have to stop and rearrange your inventory to accommodate it. You also have to drag and drop items from one window to another which gets drat annoying when you're managing a load of items. There's a shortcut but it doesn't work in most instances. It's a shame they didn't have a list......like in the console versions of the same game. As for the shapes bullshit, even an unrealistic weight system like in Two World's 2 would work better.

The other annoying thing is the exp penalty which applies geometrically for every level past 100 and gets steeper every 25 levels. At lv199 you get 4% of the exp you should and the exp curve is already MMO level steep. Thankfully, it can be modified it just by changing a text file.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alouicious posted:

You know I only remember you even exist when I see you making a smarmy comment about me or some other poster. Do you just haunt my post history waiting for opportunities to be a dingleberry, or are you naturally that much of a bottom-feeder?

Ryoshi posted:

Lol about complaining about the writing in a Batman simulator

I didn't play as long as you but I definitely was able to swoop down from a rooftop and beat the poo poo out of some poorly dressed gangsters, so it delivers on the fronts I find important. Shame you had such a poor first impression but maybe try to lighten up a bit?

There's a difference between pulp that goes down smooth and pulp that doesn't. Pacing and dialogue does matter when the game stops you frequently to chit-chat with the villain-of-the-moment in semi-locked cutscenes. Sorry I made good points about that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The time has come, the walrus said, to get real fukken mad about some video games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He's got that righteous anger, it's a poignant analysis, I haven't played a Batman game in my life and I still found myself nodding in agreement. They loving ruined this series.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Everyone now agrees. Batman Arkham Knight: a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"This game where a man dressed as a bat punches a lady who is telepathically linked to trees lacks proper gravitas" is not a good point you fuckin' nerd, get lost before I give you a swirly