Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Any people here play The Sunless Sea? Seems really fun, but gosh it's slow-paced! I can't imagine wanting to play the same beginning missions over and over many times. Also the game is hard as gently caress. Also everything is so obscure that many times you can't really make an informed decision so something innocent may turn out to doom your crew it would appear.

It's like Sid Meier's Pirates! (the new one) the roguelike.

SnowblindFatal fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, besides it and Unreal World, what other "Sandbox Roguelikes" are there out there? You say it like there is a whole genre's worth.

There's the ur-sandbox RL, Omega.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

al-azad posted:

What's with all these weird Qud screenshots? I haven't played the game since its first release and I'm at work so I can't download it. Is this tileset/filter/whatever what the current version looks like?

It's coming to Steam Soon(TM) and it will have tiles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

omeg posted:

It's coming to Steam Soon(TM) and it will have tiles.

And yeah, there's a CRT filter, though I'm pretty sure you can disable that if you want.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And yeah, there's a CRT filter, though I'm pretty sure you can disable that if you want.

Yeah if you hate cool effects (or want to customize the color scheme) you can hork around with display.txt, and even put a copy in your save directory which will be loaded preferentially so it won't get smashed when steam updates the game.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 13, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All of those things sound good to me. My first impression of Qud was "Finally the Gamma World/Mutant Future roguelike I've been waiting for" but it was still too early in development for me to really get into it. 5 years later and I'm suddenly excited.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

SnowblindFatal posted:

Any people here play The Sunless Sea? Seems really fun, but gosh it's slow-paced! I can't imagine wanting to play the same beginning missions over and over many times. Also the game is hard as gently caress. Also everything is so obscure that many times you can't really make an informed decision so something innocent may turn out to doom your crew it would appear.

It's a very odd game.

The food and fuel clocks work well to keep the player feeling pressured, but the prices are very odd - the cost for new ships seems an order of magnitude higher than I'd expect. I've also heard people complaining about the economy (related?), but never played enough to come to a firm conclusion...

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
If you're going to play Sunless Sea just cheat in extra fuel and food for yourself. It makes the game actually enjoyable instead of a slog.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Yeah if you hate cool effects (or want to customize the color scheme) you can hork around with display.txt, and even put a copy in your save directory which will be loaded preferentially so it won't get smashed when steam updates the game.

Oh, excellent. I wish I'd known that earlier.

This reminds me, time to inaugurate the new laptop with some CoQ.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, excellent. I wish I'd known that earlier.

This reminds me, time to inaugurate the new laptop with some CoQ.

Be gentle, it's its first time.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Was there a super secret goon version of QUD? I forget.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pladdicus posted:

Was there a super secret goon version of QUD? I forget.

There's this, which was the last released version before they started working on steam integration:

Unormal posted:

Pre-release is up here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/7hYSNm5s_a

It's perfectly playable, there's just an unfinished dungeon so we don't want to make it official yet.

Unormal hands out keys for the steam version fairly often, so if you're reading the thread at the right time you could get access to that.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
A new beta of Sproggiwood build is up on Google Play, for those of you already in beta. If you'd like to test out controller stuff on Android, e-mail me and I'll induct you into the google play beta system.

*Added left/right compass position option
*Added controller toggle to phone style settings
*Added keyboard/controller navigation to phone style settings
*Added better default keyboard/controller bindings
*Fixed Savage achievements for Hills not properly triggering
*Fixed beating Surma on Savage not awarding easy and normal difficulty achievements
*Fixed non-interactive wisps sometimes appearing in the swamps
*Fixed exception when using freezing fang and vampire feed
*Fixed cupid's bow
*Fixed Feeeeeed! targeting bosses
*Fixed door-summoned monsters incorrectly awarding xp
*Reduced memory usage in audio manager
*Updated icon
*Updated to cInput 2.8.5
*Updated to Unity 4.6.5p4

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Someone is doing blind roguelike LPs, and the first one they're doing is Nethack. :allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

can't wait for them to inevitably stop after 3 updates and play a different game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SnowblindFatal posted:

You know how people talk about "podcast" games?

It feels like it was made to be one. The pacing is slow where you have to be in the right mood to play it without doing something else at the same time.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, that's an interesting way to start. Did the zealot kill him or something?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
With the introduction of the faction system in CoQ NPCs will have impressions of or belong to certain groups. What most likely happened is Mehmet belonged to a group that the Warden hated and so the warden killed him at the start of the game. It happens every once in a while.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is SOTS: The Pit decent now with all that DLC released or should I still not even bother?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 14, 2015

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
The good thing about The Pit's DLC, to me, is that the added classes are cool and actually feel diverse. Unfortunately the DLCs also add a bunch of enemies with pain-in-the-rear end abilities that require your character to be specialized in one or two particular ways in order to deal with them effectively, as well as dozens of useless ingredient widgets, food items, and (most frustrating of all, imo) weapons and armor with racial restrictions that make them either totally or effectively useless for characters of the "wrong" race, which you almost always are. Nothing quite like hacking an armor locker while wearing torn-up rags, succeeding and seeing something actually come out, only to find out it's a goop shell for tentacle whales from beyond space and your guy can't use it.

Basically I stopped playing SOTS:TP because it is a game where I can know that I am going to lose but it just takes me ages to get there.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Unfortunately the DLCs also add a bunch of enemies with pain-in-the-rear end abilities that require your character to be specialized in one or two particular ways in order to deal with them effectively, as well as dozens of useless ingredient widgets, food items, and (most frustrating of all, imo) weapons and armor with racial restrictions that make them either totally or effectively useless for characters of the "wrong" race, which you almost always are. Nothing quite like hacking an armor locker while wearing torn-up rags, succeeding and seeing something actually come out, only to find out it's a goop shell for tentacle whales from beyond space and your guy can't use it.

Basically I stopped playing SOTS:TP because it is a game where I can know that I am going to lose but it just takes me ages to get there.
The huge number of new and mostly race restricted items is also what made me stop playing. Especially after the depth got raised to 50 floors because 30 apparently wasn't enough for some reason? Thing is, the rng table is so bloated that your skill as a player hardly matters. Your run comes down to the key questions of 1: Did you get at least 1 good armor drop before floor 15? 2: Did you get at least one weapon with enough penetration to kill certain enemies and have ammo for it? If any of these two get answered with no, then you're just hosed and may as well start over. And that doesn't even take the rng on food or med supplies into account. Basically, the game is designed to be as grindy and unfair as possible, to make you play it for a long time. It's really simple business logic and not much else.

With that said, I really liked the original vanilla release, and would advise on playing that if you want to gently caress around with a space roguelike. It has only three classes and no fancy races or psy powers, but you can actually finsih a game once in a while because the rng table is much more narrow and fucks you less.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

High praise for the The Pit, from Something Awful.coms roguelikes thread

"It didn't kill my dog"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

The huge number of new and mostly race restricted items is also what made me stop playing. Especially after the depth got raised to 50 floors because 30 apparently wasn't enough for some reason? Thing is, the rng table is so bloated that your skill as a player hardly matters. Your run comes down to the key questions of 1: Did you get at least 1 good armor drop before floor 15? 2: Did you get at least one weapon with enough penetration to kill certain enemies and have ammo for it? If any of these two get answered with no, then you're just hosed and may as well start over. And that doesn't even take the rng on food or med supplies into account. Basically, the game is designed to be as grindy and unfair as possible, to make you play it for a long time. It's really simple business logic and not much else.

With that said, I really liked the original vanilla release, and would advise on playing that if you want to gently caress around with a space roguelike. It has only three classes and no fancy races or psy powers, but you can actually finsih a game once in a while because the rng table is much more narrow and fucks you less.

I like The Pit and agree with all these points.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

High praise for the The Pit, from Something Awful.coms roguelikes thread

"It didn't kill my dog"

Three of my four posts in this thread are complaining about The Pit. I could have sworn that I posted more, and also that I had a higher percentage of posts complaining about The Pit.

To prove I actually do like roguelikes, I'll say that I've gone back to playing Cataclysm since the LP thread started up and have been having a blast. There are millions of menus and I'm in hog heaven.

Also I want Caves of Qud to release so I can pay more money for it. Does anyone still have that "CoQ-inspired" fanart from several years ago? It was weird but cool, much like Caves of Qud.

e: ahaha hell yeah

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
So I picked up The Curious Expedition and I've been playing it most of the day. I think it's one of the best 'story-generator' roguelikes I've ever played. It shows its early-access status in a few ways, like some balance problems and some irritating UI things (like inventory not auto-correcting and forcing me to manually move items around so I'm no longer unburdened), but as an example of some poo poo that goes down:

One of my starting party members was a racist sailor. Despite this sailor's vocal opposition, I recruited a native warrior from a local village. Later on after a serious of bad exploration decisions, our collective sanity was dangerously low (sanity is your party's general measure of morale and supplies), and I woke up one night to find that the sailor had killed and eaten the poor native.

In another game, I had looted a golden dagger from an ancient temple and my translator was stung by some unknown insect and started acting strangely. Many days later, she transformed into a grotesque abomination, which seemed content to stay in my party and fight for me. I thought nothing of it, except a long time later I awoke to see the abomination attacking my scout. Knowing I didn't have much of a chance to take it down in combat, I looked the other way and let him be eaten. Later on, sanity was once again at 0 and I was making a last-ditch push to reach the golden pyramid which was within sight. Here are the events that happened on the way, paraphrasing a bit:

- "So-and-so's (my last party member besides the abomination) mind has broken under the pressure and he has vanished into the jungle".
- "It's just me and Abomination now"
- "Tonight as we set up camp, Abomination smiled and winked at me, as if it knew how all of this would end"

Then, just a short way from the goal, my character couldn't take it anymore and killed and ate the abomination. She managed to reach the pyramid and return home but with no remaining party members and almost no supplies left, her further expeditions were doomed.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

:aaaaa:

Why isn't this in the options?

Also, bug report: the "toggle full sidebar messages" command (KP_MULTIPLY) doesn't work right; it cycles through various sidebar displays, but the "full messages" display still cuts the messages off halfway up the screen.

And another: only one of the sidebar modes displays the skill icons.

E: and custom keymappings for abilities don't persist across characters. I'm sure they used to.

And reloading ranged weapons still generates ridiculous message spam, making it impossible to tell if you even hit the target -- I'm pretty sure I reported this one before.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 15, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

:aaaaa:

Why isn't this in the options?

I'm too lazy to make options support floating point/free entry fields atm.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Qud tiles and fancy CRT stuff is just in the Steam beta right?

Man I need to start following Unormal on Twitter...

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

COOL CORN posted:

Qud tiles and fancy CRT stuff is just in the Steam beta right?

Man I need to start following Unormal on Twitter...

I throw some around, too. Usually attached to Qud trivia questions. (@ptychomancer)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

I throw some around, too. Usually attached to Qud trivia questions. (@ptychomancer)

This needs to happen.

If it's already happened, it needs to happen more and I need a link.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Lprsti99 posted:

This needs to happen.

If it's already happened, it needs to happen more and I need a link.

It really does. I even bought a mic for it, but we haven't had the time to figure out how to set up a dual stream. Some choice quotes from our last couple meetings:

<while assigning tiles to monsters> "What's a bear but a bearman without equipment?"
<while reworking the Mind over Matter power> "What if it just let you eat books?"
<while designing faction encounters> "These are some stylish apes."
<while reworking the Persuasion tree> "Okay, what does Inspiring Presence do?" 'Your words embolden your companions.' Are you kidding me? Okay, step 1: find out what Inspiring Presence does. Step 2: nerf it."

hand of luke fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 15, 2015

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mr. Wednesday posted:

So I picked up The Curious Expedition and I've been playing it most of the day. I think it's one of the best 'story-generator' roguelikes I've ever played. It shows its early-access status in a few ways, like some balance problems and some irritating UI things (like inventory not auto-correcting and forcing me to manually move items around so I'm no longer unburdened), but as an example of some poo poo that goes down:

Started playing this today and it seems really fun. Reminds me a bit of Sunless Sea due to the narrative nature of it.

Is combat meant to be incredibly lethal? I've yet to do anything other than take a whole pile of damage and end up fleeing or dying in combat.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
In the Curious Expedition thread there are some useful hints for the game, check out the combat wiki entry for example for all the dice combos available.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724572

Fighting is certainly hard, having good defensive dice combos helps though. That or killing the beasties quickly. Fleeing is a valid strategy, you might lose some equipment or sanity but it beats dying. With Marie Curie I made it to expedition six without fighting once. (I didn't know how to play the combat game at all back then).

In my game with Alastair Crowley the party was wounded by attacking panthers and the wounds became infected. A cultist turned into an Abomination but Crowley ended up dying of the infection shortly after. It seems you never have enough of every type of supply item. :( Then again, there rarely is enough room in the inventory for everything you need. Just one drat medkit or mushroom would have been enough. Sigh.

It's a fun game, but the last expeditions can get brutal and pretty epic. I have yet to beat the game, but I've come within spitting distance to victory. Then I dropped dead.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, Crowley's whole deal is that he's a funny gimmick-run character who shows up to the expedition with no pack animals and absolutely no useful survival supplies whatsoever, just a shitton of drugs and dynamite and a few shovels to dig for treasure.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
With the cultists highly likely to turn into Abominations, Crowley has a pretty solid offensive capability at least. Not so much on defense. And they make good pack animals too. :) I made it to 5/6 with him, and had a solid lead in the adventurer rankings too. I love the commissar-hat he is sporting. Very appropriate. :commissar:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

I'm too lazy to make options support floating point/free entry fields atm.

I just meant a "toggle CRT effect" option.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

TOME is $1.40 on Steam right now. Worth it or no?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Notorious QIG posted:

It's fun but divisive - you can get it free from the creator, the paid version just adds a few features. http://te4.org/ I would probably try it out first and buy the premium version at a later sale if you end up liking it. (Also you can buy it from the creator directly instead of giving valve a cut.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 15, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Notorious QIG posted:

Yes, but keep in mind ToME is free so you're basically just buying 5 or 10 bucks worth of donator features. (i.e. access to the Stone Warden class and a few slots for moving items between characters, plus some cosmetic stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

(Also you can buy it from the creator directly instead of giving valve a cut.)

I just want to quote this. Whenever you can buying a game directly from the creator or off of a service that isnt steam gives the creator a bigger cut. Steam takes a significant chunk of game sales, and supporting devs you like is cool.