Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
nma has always been right

edit nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't know who NMA are but I think I'm better not knowing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I think NMA hated New Reno and that just ain't right :colbert:

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

not knowing is a good way to enjoy allot of stuff

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I liked stuff about Fallout 3. I liked New Vegas more, and I liked Fallout 1 the most, because I was loving twelve then. And I still go No Mutants Allowed :c00lbutt:

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I liked stuff about Fallout 3. I liked New Vegas more, and I liked Fallout 1 the most, because I was loving twelve then. And I still go No Mutants Allowed :c00lbutt:

nwq vegas is a very good game, also very ugly. obisidan is not ver y good at graffix why???

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lord Lambeth posted:

You really really are. I envy your ignorance.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lord Lambeth posted:

a bunch of idiots

i went to the site once before fallout 3 caem out and found some guy declaring that obviously fallout 3 will be trash because it needs two hands to play so you can't eat a bowl of cereal and play it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

frajaq posted:

I think NMA hated New Reno and that just ain't right :colbert:

New Reno is easily the best part of the original isometric games by a wide margin. So much to do, so many connections between all the NPCs and so many little sidequests and ways to make the crime families permanently hostile to you. Fighting my way out of Salvatore's after turning down his offer to join up is probably one of my favorite moments in the series.

Does any other bit of Fallout even come close to anything like New Reno? Even Freeside/the Strip is pretty pared down in comparison.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wolfsheim posted:

New Reno is easily the best part of the original isometric games by a wide margin. So much to do, so many connections between all the NPCs and so many little sidequests and ways to make the crime families permanently hostile to you. Fighting my way out of Salvatore's after turning down his offer to join up is probably one of my favorite moments in the series.

Does any other bit of Fallout even come close to anything like New Reno? Even Freeside/the Strip is pretty pared down in comparison.

New Reno is one of the most dense clusters of Things To Do in like, all games. It's great.

Personally I always have a soft spot for going :black101: on the slavers as soon as I roll into the Den and similar doing poo poo you are allowed but not supposed to do though :allears:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I also love that the New Reno ending where the Chosen One knocks up one of the Bishop ladies is canon :haw:

Because that actually accidentally did happen in my first fallout 2 run

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
hmm seems like u dnint like nma, do you think theywer worse the n Games? (the sa subforum)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Speaking of Salvatore's, one thing I missed in the new generation of Fallout was the old world mystique of energy weapons.

It's in service of gameplay balance, but being able to find laser weapons on any random fiend feels wrong. I also don't particularly like the ramshackle look of FO3's EWs.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
NMA is to Fallout games what Pitchfork was to music circa 2006

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The weird thing about NMA is that they take pride in being a bunch of spergs who seemingly hate every Fallout game yet are still a community devoted to all things Fallout. I really don't get that line of thinking, if you hate every game in a series but the first one then why bother wasting so much time and energy bitching about everything from the newer games in very specific detail?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

I also love that the New Reno ending where the Chosen One knocks up one of the Bishop ladies is canon :haw:

Because that actually accidentally did happen in my first fallout 2 run
What I liked was that the Wrights did get access to the SAD and killed the Salvatores and presumably the Mordinos, but the Bishops were backed up by the NCR because they helped integrate New Reno into it.

I really like mixed-canon outcomes in games.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
i lieked playing omly bombwaepons, legs and chair wnrt a flying!!! hahaa get injured from sploash? eat cactues morpine. aweomw. fakc you jonhhy legion i got more bombs than a camelfucker

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I hope there are super swole Boston terriers mutants called "Terrors". I hope there's a whole thing about communities being caught between the Terrors and invasive Deathclaws.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The weird thing about NMA is that they take pride in being a bunch of spergs who seemingly hate every Fallout game yet are still a community devoted to all things Fallout. I really don't get that line of thinking, if you hate every game in a series but the first one then why bother wasting so much time and energy bitching about everything from the newer games in very specific detail?

they're goons

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

is this true?! id on ot belive you. iread the nma sight and to me they like good guys

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I think as far as crafting is concerned, it's one of those things you can ignore completely after being shown it in Goodsprings. Don't want to make things? Fine. You'll be killing enough poo poo and looting their corpses & living spaces to get everything you need. You don't need to build a thing. If you do like that sort of hardcore survivalist roleplay, it's there to use. Personally, I'd just make certain critical bits (stimpacks, doctor's bags, weapon repair kits) and ammo, and I was happy as a clam. (hand loaded 12 Gauge buckshot + Riot Shotgun = Cazador AA Gun) Maybe grill up a gecko steak because I felt like it. But I could have done just fine without and wasn't bugged by the system overall.

Want to see a massively complex crafting system? Try Witcher 3. "Collect X number of Nekker hearts, which may as well be a legendary weapon drop in this game, and you can make this potion/oil/weapon that makes certain key battles actually enjoyable instead of a HP spongy slog through a muddy field." You have to use crafting to upgrade gear and make other essential items. If you thought hoarding was a bad thing in Fallout, holy gently caress do you have to become a Walmart on legs in the Witcher series. That's why one of your abilities is having the screen glow where lootables are, since you won't have the luxury of passing most of them up. When they gave the game the subtitle of "The Wild Hunt," the neglected to mention the hunting is for all the poo poo you'll make. And the caper is that the UI for it is ugly as sin, so enjoy!

Whether you like it or not, crafting is back for Fallout 4. Look no further than the end of the trailer for proof. That's a hand made laser rifle he's carrying, and you can get a better look at it in the wallpaper image of his garage on the Fallout website. It's resting against the building on the lower left corner on the picture. When I play, will I make one? Probably not. but that's because I expect I'll be able to complete the game without doing so. But if I did want to play with purely homemade, I'll be able to. And I won't bitch about mechanics in a game that are entirely optional to enjoying it.

tl;dr: Crafting? Deal with it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cameron posted:

they're goons

Joking aside, a lot NMA member are in fact goons.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Back Hack posted:

Joking aside, a lot NMA member are in fact goons.

As if that wasn't obvious whenever discussions about Fallout 3 and Fallout lore appear on this site.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Doodles posted:

I think as far as crafting is concerned, it's one of those things you can ignore completely after being shown it in Goodsprings. Don't want to make things? Fine. You'll be killing enough poo poo and looting their corpses & living spaces to get everything you need. You don't need to build a thing. If you do like that sort of hardcore survivalist roleplay, it's there to use. Personally, I'd just make certain critical bits (stimpacks, doctor's bags, weapon repair kits) and ammo, and I was happy as a clam. (hand loaded 12 Gauge buckshot + Riot Shotgun = Cazador AA Gun) Maybe grill up a gecko steak because I felt like it. But I could have done just fine without and wasn't bugged by the system overall.

Want to see a massively complex crafting system? Try Witcher 3. "Collect X number of Nekker hearts, which may as well be a legendary weapon drop in this game, and you can make this potion/oil/weapon that makes certain key battles actually enjoyable instead of a HP spongy slog through a muddy field." You have to use crafting to upgrade gear and make other essential items. If you thought hoarding was a bad thing in Fallout, holy gently caress do you have to become a Walmart on legs in the Witcher series. That's why one of your abilities is having the screen glow where lootables are, since you won't have the luxury of passing most of them up. When they gave the game the subtitle of "The Wild Hunt," the neglected to mention the hunting is for all the poo poo you'll make. And the caper is that the UI for it is ugly as sin, so enjoy!

Whether you like it or not, crafting is back for Fallout 4. Look no further than the end of the trailer for proof. That's a hand made laser rifle he's carrying, and you can get a better look at it in the wallpaper image of his garage on the Fallout website. It's resting against the building on the lower left corner on the picture. When I play, will I make one? Probably not. but that's because I expect I'll be able to complete the game without doing so. But if I did want to play with purely homemade, I'll be able to. And I won't bitch about mechanics in a game that are entirely optional to enjoying it.

tl;dr: Crafting? Deal with it.

I guess my thought is if you're going to put the effort of making a comprehensive crafting system, why not actually make it accessible with a halfway decent UI? it's amazing how awful the systems surrounding crafting are in games and i don't think it's some absurd expectation for devs to surround something they spent a decent amount of effort on in a package that players might actually want to use

if i'm playing on hardcore survival mode, the challenge should be the gameplay, not the system mechanics and ui

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
i think they should have more detaoled gore. shoot gothic kid in jaw, masxcara and pointy bones go swirl in the wind

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of Salvatore's, one thing I missed in the new generation of Fallout was the old world mystique of energy weapons.

It's in service of gameplay balance, but being able to find laser weapons on any random fiend feels wrong. I also don't particularly like the ramshackle look of FO3's EWs.

I actually disagree here (about availability of certain weapons, though I don't mind the ramshackle look). Having a weapon skill that is useless for 2/3rds of the game is bad design. I liked the way New Vegas did it by giving you a clear alternate progression to Guns, though rope kid also mentioned that he considered eliminating Energy Weapons as a skill entirely and just making them the top tier weapon type of each category (pistols, rifles, etc), and eventually it just came down to that being less fun/interesting.

Of course I expect Bethesda to learn nothing from NV and still have a lovely useless Big Guns skill and an Energy Weapons skill that has four weapons in it, two of which you'll never use and two of which are better than every other ranged weapon in the game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

My problem with crafting is that I just can't be assed to remember the components for everything, there should be a crafting list in the pip boy itself, not just when using Workbenches/Campfires.

The only recipe components I remember is Weapon Repair Kits, and sometimes I get hammers instead of wrenches for it when looting stuff :v:

e: f;b by Yasser Arafatwa

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
you really have to love something to hate it so much

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I guess my thought is if you're going to put the effort of making a comprehensive crafting system, why not actually make it accessible with a halfway decent UI? it's amazing how awful the systems surrounding crafting are in games and i don't think it's some absurd expectation for devs to surround something they spent a decent amount of effort on in a package that players might actually want to use

if i'm playing on hardcore survival mode, the challenge should be the gameplay, not the system mechanics and ui
I wouldn't mind simplified systems as well. But damned if I can name a game that has one and is still able to craft a wide variety of things. F3's was pretty damned simple. You pick an item on a list of things you have the plans for and if you didn't have all the bits, it would immediately show you what you were missing. But that was for less than a dozen things, all weapons. The more things and types of things you have the ability to make, the harder it is to make the system controlling it easy to navigate. This is an issue that all UI design has to deal with. The more choices, the worse things get.

There's a book anyone who complains about user interfaces should read: The Design of Everyday Things by Donald Norman. He's the guy who was in charge of building most of Apple's UIs for decades, so he knows how to make things simple enough for dipshits to use. After going through the book, you'll realize just what a nightmare it is to build the things.

EDIT: frajaq, that's about the only change I could think of. Make the recipes available on your Pip Boy even if not near a crafting place so you know what you need. Though in New Vegas, most of that was obviated by having ED-E as a companion. Half the things I made were on the spot with him, though it took more steps than a bench would.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 13, 2015

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
i like the vrafting but it confuses me. meayvbe make it easier to undeerstand`? its a good idea but alla ideas needs good dooing, doing good trumps theinking good all day off the week

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lazy_Liberal posted:

you really have to love something to hate it so much

Yup, truth.

I played Wasteland as a kid. I love Fallout. I love what modders can come up with and the open-world environments. I enjoy the Bethesda games.

But I hate how buggy Bethesda releases are, and I hate how early patches create major, new problems and it's not a one-time thing. Bethesda management seems to place little priority on QA, or fixing problems found by QA, whatever it is.

So much love/hate. Given that the reddit leak pegged October 2015 as the release for FO4 over a year in advance, I can only fear that there are major QA issues that will go unaddressed in order to hit a ship date. Tempting to just wait for a steam sale months later or a GOTY edition, when stuff is fixed and mods are flourishing.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shugojin posted:

a bunch of idiots

i went to the site once before fallout 3 caem out and found some guy declaring that obviously fallout 3 will be trash because it needs two hands to play so you can't eat a bowl of cereal and play it

What a dumb loving series this is that an autowalk button is a really good feature.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can kinda understand the NMA mindset just a lil bit since I love Diablo 1 and 2 and loathed Diablo 3 but at least I really liked most of the series of games before hating one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A Fallout game set in the midwest or south could be pretty cool. I know Tactics and that piece of poo poo game nobody likes Brotherhood of Steel did the Chicago area and Texas already but considering the former is only partially canon and the latter isn't canon at all, it might be cool to revisit. Either that or go with the proposed setting of Fallout Tactics 2 in Florida that never got past the planning stages, where the Everglades has transformed into a lush jungle with unique mutations and adversaries.

I personally either want Fallout: Louisiana or a Fallout: Seattle or whatever. I'd be good with either post-apocalyptic voodoo stuff, or radioactive bigfoot.

Also, I really liked Fallout 1, but could never get into 2 and I'm just not sure why.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Doodles posted:

I wouldn't mind simplified systems as well. But damned if I can name a game that has one and is still able to craft a wide variety of things. F3's was pretty damned simple. You pick an item on a list of things you have the plans for and if you didn't have all the bits, it would immediately show you what you were missing. But that was for less than a dozen things, all weapons. The more things and types of things you have the ability to make, the harder it is to make the system controlling it easy to navigate. This is an issue that all UI design has to deal with. The more choices, the worse things get.

There's a book anyone who complains about user interfaces should read: The Design of Everyday Things by Donald Norman. He's the guy who was in charge of building most of Apple's UIs for decades, so he knows how to make things simple enough for dipshits to use. After going through the book, you'll realize just what a nightmare it is to build the things.

EDIT: frajaq, that's about the only change I could think of. Make the recipes available on your Pip Boy even if not near a crafting place so you know what you need. Though in New Vegas, most of that was obviated by having ED-E as a companion. Half the things I made were on the spot with him, though it took more steps than a bench would.

Cool, I'll give the book a read thanks!

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Cool, I'll give the book a read thanks!

how did he smell`?

the palestinaina dude that is

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can kinda understand the NMA mindset just a lil bit since I love Diablo 1 and 2 and loathed Diablo 3 but at least I really liked most of the series of games before hating one.

A bit out of topic but, how did you feel about the 2.0 patch and the Reaper of Souls expansion for Diablo 3? That seemed to have won a lot of people who hated 3 back over.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

catlord posted:

I personally either want Fallout: Louisiana or a Fallout: Seattle or whatever. I'd be good with either post-apocalyptic voodoo stuff, or radioactive bigfoot.

Fallout: Seattle would be awesome. Finally we'd get to see how craft brewers in Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia took control of the post-war booze trade and established Cascadia as an independent nation.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I doubt they'll ever answer what happened to Canada, but if they do, they'll probably just make Quebec their Enclave that massacres anyone that doesn't speak their french correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Besides the android quest in Rivet City, did anything or anyone else reference the Commonwealth in Fallout 3?

• Locked thread