Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I play as a single a lot, and at my course that means I just show up and tee off. Having to be thrown in with 3 randoms every time I played would suck, I like being able to walk 18 in 2.5 hours while playing 2 balls.

Most of the time if I catch a two-some I'll just slow down a bit and practice my chipping and putting on every hole, but I play through most foursomes. Typically they just wait for me to finish a hole behind them without me even asking or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Josh Lyman posted:

LOL Bobby Jones is a goat track. But it has a couple decent holes.

Yup. This guy at work invites me to play all the time. I usually say no because it's so bad, but after like 15 requests I felt obligated to accept.

Played today and shot 70 with 6 birdies (not at bobby jones). Guess I'm out of my birdie slump.

Tomorrow will be the real marker. I'm playing the Manor, which is fairly challenging and about 7150. I'll feel a lot better about my life/handicap if I shoot par or better.

The last two times we played with people, I told them I was a 2 then proceeded to spray my way to an 86 or so.

I've got some very positive thoughts going, and all the time I've spent on fixing my path is starting to really pay off. I basically eliminated the stall pull and feel much less stuck. My arms still lag behind my turn, but it's the exception rather than the rule. Good thing it only took me like a year to implement.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm making some swing changes myself, namely speeding up my upper body on the downswing. I'm going to have a 2 way miss for a while, but it's better in the long run. I played 18 yesterday and on the last 2 holes, striped a 4 iron and 3 iron, respectively, inside 5 feet.

Putting is still sketchy with the new/old Ping. I seriously don't understand how my stroke with a putter is like a 30 handicap but my stroke with a lob wedge is like a scratch player.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm making some swing changes myself, namely speeding up my upper body on the downswing. I'm going to have a 2 way miss for a while, but it's better in the long run. I played 18 yesterday and on the last 2 holes, striped a 4 iron and 3 iron, respectively, inside 5 feet.

Putting is still sketchy with the new/old Ping. I seriously don't understand how my stroke with a putter is like a 30 handicap but my stroke with a lob wedge is like a scratch player.

Nice, that's exactly what I'm working on right now. It sucks for a while but the payoff is worth it. Helps so much with staying synced and avoiding the dreaded stall flip.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does anyone know anything about the Ping K15 driver? They have a 10.5 degree one for 40 bucks at the store up the street. I don't even use a driver right now. I am about to start learning the driver swing.

I have a 12 year old 580XD my dad gave me but this driver is much newer and I think more fit for beginners. For me, 40 bucks is worth lowering the learning curve even slightly. I can afford it pretty easily (I'm not trying to brag, just get across 40 bucks isn't really the issue). Should I buy and learn with this driver?

The salesman said a regular flex is the right one for me and the driver has a regular flex.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I hit the flag (not the pole, the actual flag) on a pitch on the 9th hole today and the ball dropped within 2 feet of the cup. Shot a 43. :toot:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Ping K15 driver? They have a 10.5 degree one for 40 bucks at the store up the street. I don't even use a driver right now. I am about to start learning the driver swing.

I have a 12 year old 580XD my dad gave me but this driver is much newer and I think more fit for beginners. For me, 40 bucks is worth lowering the learning curve even slightly. I can afford it pretty easily (I'm not trying to brag, just get across 40 bucks isn't really the issue). Should I buy and learn with this driver?

The salesman said a regular flex is the right one for me and the driver has a regular flex.

This guy does really good reviews > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qrf2Mxkk4

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

daslog posted:

I hit the flag (not the pole, the actual flag) on a pitch on the 9th hole today and the ball dropped within 2 feet of the cup. Shot a 43. :toot:

Nice! Those shots are the best
Yesterday, my girlfriend hit her approach a bit thick, so it was gonna be in a greenside bunker. It hit a rock in the bunker, bounded forward up the lip, and ended up 3 feet from the pin.

That good clean living pays off .

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Halo14 posted:

This guy does really good reviews > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5qrf2Mxkk4

Thanks. I watched this and then I bought it. It is only 40 bucks. I will see how it does. 40 bucks doesn't seem much to upgrade 7 years of technology and get a consensus "easy to hit straight" driver. I bought a Titleist lob wedge as well. It was only 25 bucks, seemed in good condition, and I used to have one that I lost and I liked it.

I'm debating if I should go to the range when it is 100 degrees. I probably will hah

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Booked a 12:50pm tee time tomorrow at a 75.1/143, 7016 yard course for $16 on Golf Now. :woop:

But fees tacked on another $4.61. And it'll be 95*F. :negative:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Holy moly, this Ping K15 driver is the best 40 dollars I have ever spent in my entire life.

Here is how my old driver (580xd) would go. Out of 10 shots, 3 would fly to the right at almost a 90 degree angle, 3 would go like 25 feet, 2 would land some random place 100 yards away, and 2 would fly semi straight.

With the K15, I had almost no ball not go semi straight. Out of 10 at least 8 would have me happy. I wasn't hitting it super far, but considering most of the time I hit a 7 iron off the tee because I have no confidence in anything bigger, it doesn't have to fly a mile to help me tremendously.

NOTE: There is no reason this is due to swing improvement. I used my old driver Friday and it was horrible and the new one today. I did not watch any videos or work on anything.

If super game improvement irons help as much as changing drivers I am buying some very soon. Does anyone use "super game improvement" irons? I think the mats helped my irons last time because I had a lot of mishits today. Lesson learned, grass driving range only. Of course, it was like 100 degrees and I was in the dead sun, so that did not help.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

If super game improvement irons help as much as changing drivers I am buying some very soon. Does anyone use "super game improvement" irons? I think the mats helped my irons last time because I had a lot of mishits today. Lesson learned, grass driving range only. Of course, it was like 100 degrees and I was in the dead sun, so that did not help.
SGI irons can help a mediocre shot turn out okay, but a bad shot will always be a bad shot. The bigger concern is that they are designed with a lot of offset, wide soles, and strong lofts and so may promote less than great habits.

I would say standard game improvement irons are probably worth it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ribsauce posted:

I bought Ping Karstens last October. Was injured right after I bought them and didn't play again until April. I've gone from shooting 110 to 94. Edit: Shooting in the mid 40s for 9 holes lately.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Played my usual Sunday round yesterday ~7am, still too dark to make out the ball flight. I'm on the first hole which is 320 meters, slightly downhill. Pulled driver and had a few warm-up swings - still half asleep.

I let it rip with fairly good contact and my playing partners kinda shrugged and said it went straight. The ball ended up in the middle of the green!

It's almost the middle of winter here. Now I've never driven that green - even in the middle of summer when the ball goes further. I still don't know how I did it. Didn't hit a straight drive for the rest of the round, the driver remains a mystery to me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ribsauce posted:

Holy moly, this Ping K15 driver is the best 40 dollars I have ever spent in my entire life.

Here is how my old driver (580xd) would go. Out of 10 shots, 3 would fly to the right at almost a 90 degree angle, 3 would go like 25 feet, 2 would land some random place 100 yards away, and 2 would fly semi straight.

With the K15, I had almost no ball not go semi straight. Out of 10 at least 8 would have me happy. I wasn't hitting it super far, but considering most of the time I hit a 7 iron off the tee because I have no confidence in anything bigger, it doesn't have to fly a mile to help me tremendously.

NOTE: There is no reason this is due to swing improvement. I used my old driver Friday and it was horrible and the new one today. I did not watch any videos or work on anything.

I think Bubba Watson played a K15 driver until 3 years ago so you are in good company. The only problem with the biggest SGI's is they are a pita to hit out of the rough. GI's like the Mizuno JPX 825 are in the sweet spot, forgiving but not too obnoxious and huge where you can't hit the green from 160 yards away from the rough. Blades are obviously easier to hit out of the rough but merciless everywhere else.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: U. S. Open thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726052 :siren:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Ribsauce posted:

How much does hitting off mats vs grass at the range change things? I went today and hit probably 80 balls with my wedges and irons (up to 6) and only like 3 didn't go in the air. Now, they didn't all go straight in front of me but the ones that did not were consistent in their bad aim (to the left). Most flew straight and about 15 yards to the left of where I was aiming.

I would like to think it was my hard work and grip changes, but I am afraid the mat might have made them go up and compensated for slight mishits. Would a mat do this?

It depends on your level of skill and what you're working on. Hitting from a mat isn't going to drastically improve your ball striking. The mat is trying to simulate perfect fairway conditions. The issue is they are a little bit springy so some slight mis-hits can be more forgiving. The reason hitting from grass is almost always a better idea is because it lets you get a feel for what course conditions would be like. From the grass, shots even 1 inch apart can feel different depending on the stiffness of the ground, thickness of the grass in that spot etc. Variables never change on the mats.

For the average weekend warrior, 20+ Handicap it's not going to make a difference because the problem isn't the surface you're hitting from, it's generally your swing. While I always recommend hitting from the grass to anyone since it's more like a course situation it's not going to really be a must until you're more worried about all of the other variables in hitting the ball. I mean you could be on a flat fairway, but your ball is in a shallow spot where it's 1" below your feet and you might blade it if you don't adjust properly or don't hit down on the ball well etc. Golf is stupid.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Would a ping K style driver be good if I draw the ball? Crossfield seemed to indicate it wasn't for him because it went left too much. I'm pretty bad and golfpoor so the price is appealing.

Summit fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 15, 2015

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Summit posted:

Would a ping K style driver be good if I draw the ball? Crossfield seemed to indicate it wasn't for him because it went left too much. I'm pretty bad and golfpoor so the price is appealing.

I love my Ping G25. I bought it used off EBay because someone in this thread recommended it when I asked for a Driver that was very forgiving.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Florida golfing people, any of you played the course at the Waldorf Astoria? Gonna take my dad there Sunday to play for Fathers day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Booked a 12:50pm tee time tomorrow at a 75.1/143, 7016 yard course for $16 on Golf Now. :woop:

But fees tacked on another $4.61. And it'll be 95*F. :negative:
We finished in 3 hours, course was pretty open until the 16th, so heat stroke avoided.

Putting still sucks, still striping my long irons. I seem to be hitting them longer too. Carried a 4 iron 215 yards on a par 3 today. I don't expect to play until next month, so I guess I just have to spend time at home working on my putter stroke.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
The last course I played had very few yardage markers. I haven't been playing that long so I certainly can't eyeball it, but I know how far I can hit each club.

Is there a reason not to get the Bushnell Tour Z6?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Today I learned that putting the ball a little farther back in my stance helps me crush my Irons and take cool divots. I may have won another closest to the pin in leagues this week.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I seem to hit most of my shots "thin" and only get a divot maybe half the time. Not sure how to fix it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Mr. BT posted:

The last course I played had very few yardage markers. I haven't been playing that long so I certainly can't eyeball it, but I know how far I can hit each club.

Is there a reason not to get the Bushnell Tour Z6?

I have a Tour V3, and I've had problems with water getting into it and temporarily making it inoperable. Also, I had problems with range, in comparison to some longer-ranged Bushnell that I used to have, before it got stolen. If you're going to get a rangefinder, the Z6 seems like a good choice.

A reason not to get it is that the game isn't really any more fun with it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Summit posted:

I seem to hit most of my shots "thin" and only get a divot maybe half the time. Not sure how to fix it.

I'm not a swing expert but that only happens to me if I lift my head in the swing which really means that the position of my body is moving away from the ball.

Imagine a string tied at one end to the ball and the other end to your chin - you don't want to pull at the string and lose your position.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Summit posted:

Take a video of your swing and post it here, and we can take a look!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Summit posted:

Picking your head up early, or trying to swing too "hard" contracts/tenses up your arm muscles and makes you pull the club up and skull the ball. Telling myself 'stare at it loosely' makes me not make the same mistake 2 shots in a row (I make lots of other mistakes instead).

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Picking your head up early, or trying to swing too "hard" contracts/tenses up your arm muscles and makes you pull the club up and skull the ball. Telling myself 'stare at it loosely' makes me not make the same mistake 2 shots in a row (I make lots of other mistakes instead).

There's a good chance I do both of these things :sweatdrop:

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I like to think of it not as keeping my head down but focusing on keeping my chest at a consistent height through the downswing. It's not so much that I pick my head up to hit thin/bladed shots but that I lunge upward before impact (the root cause is probably legs, improbably head). I do like the "stare at it loosely" thought though. Don't be afraid to let your head do its thing -- that's why "loosely" is a good thought. I recommend the idea that you're keeping a stable height through impact.

I played a couple rounds this weekend + an 18-hole par-3 course on Friday. My ballstriking is pretty good right now but my scrambling/putting has been punishing me.

My biggest issue is keeping my momentum going. Hit two shots into hazard on a par 5 when I was 2-under through 7. Made bogeys on just about every other hole after that.

The next day was serviceable, but similar issues:

Bonus card from my attempt at US Open local qualifying last month, further solidifying my inability to maintain momentum and avoid 3-putts. (I started on 10)

I'm making the trip back home to Seattle tomorrow for the US Open. Can't wait to get out to Chambers. Have played there a number of times and it's a totally legit course. All this negative hype is just sensationalism. That said...the last few days of warm weather probably threw the USGA for a loop. I heard they had bulldozer rollers out on the fairways. They'll definitely be on edge if no rain falls between now and Sunday.

pmac fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 16, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
you got an 8 on that par 5 don't lie.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Keyser S0ze posted:

you got an 8 on that par 5 don't lie.

Lateral hazard off the tee, drop near hazard, hit third into hazard near green, hit fifth shot on, two putt?

Guys, the Golf Channel has a pro-tracer on Tiger...on the driving range. He may be in bad shape, but pro-tracer + Tiger will always get my attention.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
meh, I'm used to playing courses where everything is surrounded by houses and is freaking O.B.............even some of the red stake areas are red/green stake areas where even if your ball is findable/hittable you have to take a penalty. MEH

plus, what this "2 putt" thing? impossible

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Kameh posted:

Lateral hazard off the tee, drop near hazard, hit third into hazard near green, hit fifth shot on, two putt?

Guys, the Golf Channel has a pro-tracer on Tiger...on the driving range. He may be in bad shape, but pro-tracer + Tiger will always get my attention.

Indeed. Would've been a miraculous bogey if I'd made the putt.

My understanding is that Fox will use lots of pro tracer during tourney coverage. And Joe Buck said in a teleconference with media that he won't talk as much as he does during NFL games. Those two things combined if true will make for a successful first Open for Fox.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Summit posted:

I rarely take divots and hit my irons 9001 feet high so either my swing is broken or I'm playing the wrong clubs.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
First ever hole-in-one today!

124 yards. Hit the green, rolled... then disappeared. I wasn't for sure until I looked in the cup.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
^^ Bloody awesome, congrats :) Hope you kept the ball.

My old man had a hole in one on Mothers day when I was a toddler. He rang up mum all excited and her response was a deadpan "That's great, when are you getting home"

He has that trophy prominently positioned in the middle of all his other trophies :D

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Halo14 posted:

^^ Bloody awesome, congrats :) Hope you kept the ball.

My old man had a hole in one on Mothers day when I was a toddler. He rang up mum all excited and her response was a deadpan "That's great, when are you getting home"

He has that trophy prominently positioned in the middle of all his other trophies :D

I only have to get two more to catch my grandpa, and my mom and I are tied at one each.

The odds of an average golfer getting one? ~12,500:1. I live in Vegas, so how's that for some luck? :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mr. BT posted:

First ever hole-in-one today!

124 yards. Hit the green, rolled... then disappeared. I wasn't for sure until I looked in the cup.

Awesome man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Hell yeah, dude! Congratulations! Any witnesses? :q: