Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Unlock the tail wheel the tutorial left thst bit out. I think its the n key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Trying to taxi a B-17 with a locked tail wheel would certainly be interesting.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

paging EvilJoven: http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

If I had to choose 1 flight sim to be remade in the modern era, I'd chose this one. Even over Falcon or DCS.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Good game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Already in my list but I need to verify that it's compatible wit P3D 2.5.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

does this game work with trackir?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ethanol posted:

does this game work with trackir?

Um no it doesnt really even support mouselook.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I think there were at least one or two projects where the original source code for European Air War had been obtained and updated. I gather that EAW came out 2 years before B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th, but are the community updates decent?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know what's awesome? The fact that now when I'm in FSX/P3D and something pisses me off, I now know how to muddle my way through fixing it.

You know what sucks? The fact that now when I'm in FSX/P3D and something pisses me off, instead of thinking 'welp, I'll just fly a different plane' I now spend loving hours muddling my way through fixing it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

You have achieved peak sperg, my son.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kilonum posted:

You have achieved peak sperg, my son.
But he's not making mods for ysflight, yet :confused:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
FYI one of the things I learned fairly early on is why so often when you switch from one plane to another it won't start; Even if a plane doesn't have a control doesn't mean it won't necessarily work if you have a binding for it or if it was set in one plane and you switch to another, it'll still be set even if it doesn't actually exist in your new plane.

This includes things like fuel cutoff valves.

Easiest way around this TBH is to Ctrl + E your plane to autostart it. If you want to full sperg after that you can cold/dark the plane.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I thought I'd finally jump on the OrbX support page to get some help but it seems to be offline. They haven't skipped the planet with my money have they?

I have Prepar3D 2.5 and I've bought the Global, Global Vector, Australia region and European LC pack. All installed okay except for the European LC pack which threw up a general exception error claiming it couldn't find terrain.cfg during installation. When I open FX Central 2 it list the other three as installed and working but lists Euro LC as uninstalled. Thing is I think it may be working, as the loading times dramatically increased when I am flying in Europe. Just driving me a bit nuts not knowing for sure, though, as the terrain has been greatly improved by the Global packs.

Also I bought the 777 from PMDG which installed without a hitch. When I try to fly the plane in Create Scenario mode the engine isn't on and I can't use any of the buttons. I am positive everything is up to date and that I downloaded the correct version of the aircraft.

Reason I bought all this stuff is that I saw this video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYJNEeVoRZA

Now that looks like a whole lot of fun to me. I would like to be able to have a quick bash at the 777 though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Can Combat Flight Simulator 3 be purchased digitally from anywhere?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

RentACop posted:

Nope.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RentACop posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15320/

$2.49

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

gently caress

Already own that; I had a mad urge to try and get Over Flanders Field

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

darth cookie posted:

Yeah I'm sticking with the Su-25T for now and I'll get to the T51 later. on the subject of tutorials, this guy here has done a series of very comprehensive tutorials for the Su-25T starting from take off through to use of all the weapons systems. It is broken up into 10 parts but it runs into SEVERAL HOURS long. Like, 3 or 4 I think. :staredog:

Really useful though.

Edit: I have managed to do a couple of genuinely successful landings including a dusk landing using only the HSI so I'm feeling pretty good so far. I went into free flight mode with the Su-25T, managed to navigate back to a specific airfield get in orbit, and then land smoothly using mostly HSI for landing. I actually think I prefer it over the HUD (ILS?) system. Weird thing was that once I was on the ground and completely switch off, canopy open I couldn't refuel. I accessed all the correct menus to get the ground crew to come and do some work, but nothing. Am I missing something?

Motors off, canopy open, power off.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wh1plash posted:

Motors off, canopy open, power off.

That's from a while back. The problem was that I wasn't landing at a friendly airfield.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

RentACop posted:

gently caress

Already own that; I had a mad urge to try and get Over Flanders Field

Rise of Flight.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I bought Over Flanders Fields a while back, it's pretty cool but then I reformatted etc and my download link from the store they used had expired, so recently I emailed them about getting a new link and they replied that I had to pay a 5 USD 'donation' to get a new link. After I spent 36 quid originally on the game, gently caress that. Also they have an expansion that is more expensive than the base game and includes a bunch of poo poo they could've just patched into the game but nope, 2.0 baby, all support for the base game without the expansion dropped.

Basically gently caress them, they represent all that is bad about old school grognard type developers.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Are the CS Tristar and Just Flight DC-8 any good? They're both 30 bucks-ish and I like older airliners.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Is X-Plane 10 any good? Are there any decent X55 profiles out there? I hate configuring controls.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What do you fly normally?

XP10 is my go to for GA aircraft, especially night vfr. I love the stock baron and now the stock 430 gps is pretty good too.

If someone would take the lancair legacy from fsx and port it to xp10 I would be so happy.

If you want Boeing jets, stick with fsx / p3d. The jets on xp10 kind of stink unless they're the 737-200 and 727-200, both are giant /A aircraft with no fancy fmc

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
There's a few very nice payware 747-8 / 757 / 777 and 787 addons with 3D cockpits, systems modeling, FMS, etc.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Is X-Plane 10 any good? Are there any decent X55 profiles out there? I hate configuring controls.

Yes. No, and I will admit configuring controls in XP can be a total pain in the rear end, but once you get it set up properly and to your liking there is never a need to go back and gently caress with it.

And I wouldn't call the default FMS in x-plane an FMS... it's more like a GPS with a keyboard. Thankfully, there is UFMC, though it is $30 (and you need to pay another $30 to get it to work with the otherwise free, and kick-rear end, 737-800)

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I'm sure they're out there

It depends on what you want out of a flight sim. If you are more into the PMDG Heavy iron and spending assloads on addons, then P3D is probably the best thing going and will have the bulk of the FSX crowd. Downside is Lockmart could potentially enforce the no fun clause if dovetail wanted to bitch enough (But lol at the idea of dovetail lawyers going against lockmarts legal department). X-Plane excels at flight models and the awesome free scenery http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=24953 Search for anything by this guy or Fred-e. The payware for X-Plane is mostly bad, you often pay more for less then you would for comparable P3D product. That being said, there are a few good ones. JarDesigns and Flight-Factor both put out near PMDG level products and theres Fly J Sim for well done old fasioned jets. Caranado also makes good GA stuff for both so no issue there. Supposedly X-Plane does Rotor stuff way better as well but I've never done it.

I think more than any point in flightsimming history, you're good either way you go honestly. As long as you don't buy a dovetail product.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was going to buy XP10 but then I checked and my twin otter won't work for it and its the best plane ever so welp.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really like XP10 and recommend to flight nerds when its on sale. There is a demo http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/x-plane_10_demo/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's a few very nice payware 747-8 / 757 / 777 and 787 addons with 3D cockpits, systems modeling, FMS, etc.

The 777 is light years away from pmdg quality, in my opinion. The rest appear to be as well.

Same goes for the A320 and even the Crj-200 which is a fun little jet but the fms has very basic flaws on certain procedures that are just bullshit.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

I was going to buy XP10 but then I checked and my twin otter won't work for it and its the best plane ever so welp.

http://store.x-plane.org/DHC-6-Twin-Otter-300-Series_p_364.html

I mean, yeah its buying it again which sucks but you could still get your twin otter on in X-plane

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
uuuuuugh. I literally just bought P3D and the Turbo Otter a few months ago...

But xplane is so damned pretty for VFR...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The upcoming XPlane patch will now pull winds aloft data from the internet and low level wind shear stuff from METARs if you have the real weather thing turned on. That seems pretty cool to me at least but maybe other sims already do this?

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-40-release-notes

Also:

quote:

So this is cool: Now we now know which failures are allowed to fail RANDOMLY! (No, wings do not just fall off, and control locks do not just fall into place in flight!) So, the random failures option will fail stuff like engines and electrical systems and controls surfaces: Things that might actually fail in flight for no known reason… but the wings will not just fall off.

Did wings really fall off randomly before because that would be hilarious

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Should I get anything from DCS while it's all on flash sale? I'm highly tempted by the Huey...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Goetta posted:

The upcoming XPlane patch will now pull winds aloft data from the internet and low level wind shear stuff from METARs if you have the real weather thing turned on. That seems pretty cool to me at least but maybe other sims already do this?

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-40-release-notes

FSX sort of did it very poorly, and with add-ons like ActiveSky it can do it very well. It's cool that XP10 now includes it natively, though.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Should I get anything from DCS while it's all on flash sale? I'm highly tempted by the Huey...

If you're interested in the Huey or helicopters in general, I'd say definitely go for it. It's the most realistic helicopter flight sim you can buy afaik and it's a lot of fun to learn. There are quite a few missions available for it and the included campaign is pretty decent.

Pedals are ideal, but if you don't have them a joystick with a twist grip or a hat switch works well too. If you have none of the above you can just use the keyboard, which is a bit harder but still manageable with practice.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there any kind of campaign/mission editor included? Replayability's the only thing I'm really concerned about, a linear campaign kinda bugs me even if it is with a great flight model.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, DCS has a mission & campaign maker. But it is pretty clunky and tends to break one way or another with every patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there any kind of campaign/mission editor included? Replayability's the only thing I'm really concerned about, a linear campaign kinda bugs me even if it is with a great flight model.

Might want to steer clear of DCS then, replayablity isn't this games strong suit.