Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Oh god help which guns do i want to take with me. I got a full gunsmithing/ reloading set so i guess ammo is not a big problem but i am just paralyzed with choice.

I guess the Saiga is overkill since my close combat needs are fulfilled by hydraulic-powered Muay Thai and my crack stockpile

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
All of them :colbert:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Illegal Username posted:

Oh god help which guns do i want to take with me. I got a full gunsmithing/ reloading set so i guess ammo is not a big problem but i am just paralyzed with choice.

I guess the Saiga is overkill since my close combat needs are fulfilled by hydraulic-powered Muay Thai and my crack stockpile

I'd say take the G3, the crossbow or longbow, and the most accurate handgun in the pile. Remember, you can make shoulder straps for guns longarms to (W)ear them if volume is an issue.

e: also take the Saiga. Saiga is really good.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
They can't fit in mein wheelbarrow and my murderbike is not yet operational :supaburn:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Is the G3 the one that fires .308? Don't take that one, take the Ruger Mini.

If the G3 fires .223 then take it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Replace the Box on your wheelbarrow with a Trunk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was using a Mini-14 set up as a poor man's sniper rifle for a while. It wasn't bad.

Now I have my Sniper FAL though. :getin: Amazing gun so far, even with the weaker handloaded ammo. Took down a chicken walker in 3 shots.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Illegal Username posted:

If you can make shoulder straps you can carry a bunch with you.

I'd take the shotgun no matter what just because those things are stupidly powerful.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
While clearing a mall near my base, some of my new zombie friends attracted the attention of a tank drone.

I grabbed my cart and bugged out.

Came back a couple days later and the tank drone has somehow started a fire that is consuming the entire mall. :argh:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
I'm playing on one of the experimentals, and I hit a skeleton with an o-dachi so hard it ripped chunks of meat off it, and then when I butchered it I found a stomach and 2 more chunks of meat.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
They changed encumbrance in the experimentals? I've started a new run and I've got 70 (!) torso encumbrance. Granted I'm wearing makeshift slings and emergency jackets and similar starting garbage gear but that is incredible.

Should I still be aiming for 0? In the stable builds encumbered 3 would basically make melee impossible but I haven't seen anything with less than about 5 or so.

Related question, archery and guns aren't effected by torso encumbrance right? They use arm and hand?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Encumbrance is on a new scale where 10 = the old 1 and it gets floored down to the nearest 10, so if you have say 5 encumbrance it does nothing, 13 is the same as 10 which is the same as old 1, etc.

I guess they did this so that there's a bit more variance with gear though I don't know why they didn't just use decimal values, it would seem a bit more intuitive.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
That makes sense and actually seems quite nice, thanks.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

nftyw posted:

I think rifles have some kind of retarded penalty to hit unless you are standing like 2 miles from your target. With pistols and shotguns you just get up close to things and burst fire and things get hit and die.

Rifles have a penalty if used on a target closer than 4 tiles from you and suffer no penalty when fired at more than 10 tiles away.

E: I did a quick bit of checking and my knowledge is all over the place on the particulars, but that should be correct for rifles. I thought pistols had a penalty if used on a target more than 4 tiles away, but I haven't checked on the repo.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 13, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Strumpie posted:

Rifles have a penalty if used on a target closer than 4 tiles from you and suffer no penalty when fired at more than 10 tiles away.

E: I did a quick bit of checking and my knowledge is all over the place on the particulars, but that should be correct for rifles. I thought pistols had a penalty if used on a target more than 4 tiles away but I haven't checked on the repo.

It looks like that penalty isn't for rifles specifically, but for any high-volume weapon (except shotguns). You get an accuracy penalty if the range is less than 1/3 of your weapon's volume.

code:
        // penalties for point-blank
        // TODO: why is this using the weapon item, is this correct (may use the fired gun instead?)
        if (range < int(weapon.type->volume / 3) && curammo->ammo->type != "shot") {
            total_dispersion *= double(weapon.type->volume / 3) / double(range);
So using a 12-volume rifle at a distance of 2 will double your dispersion, and at a distance of 1 will quadruple it.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Finally get a bike operational. Replace the wheels, lug a jerry can to the gas station, add new controls. Put gas in the tank, start the bitch up, take it for a ride....engine dies like ten feet from where I started it. :negative:

Imma put a V8 in this bitch :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you're gonna go that far you might as well go cut up a car or collect a shitton of pipes and build yourself a Sandrail or something. :v:

Meanwhile I'm still puttering around in my modified Hippie van with its fuel efficient 4-cylinder engine. I've used up maybe 10-20% of two gas tanks since building the thing.
By the way, how much storage space does a onboard chem lab or FOODCO Kitchen buddy have?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
400 volume for both.

Once you get a vehicle working and start amassing tons of stuff you'll probably want to build/cobble your own together. After using a Cube Van a whole bunch until it started to get filled up I found two APC's that I ripped apart to build my first KILLDOZER.

My first drive in a vehicle ended in me crashing into a wall and killing the engine that way though :downs:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm disappointed no one suggested taking the laser pistol. If you have the UPS implant, they're stupidly fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Why am I suddenly producing 21 sound instead of 6 whenever I walk around? Is it because I installed an enhanced hearing CBM?

And is the laser pistol good? I got a UPS bionic, but the laser pistol I have/had seemed rather weak on damage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

nftyw posted:

I think rifles have some kind of retarded penalty to hit unless you are standing like 2 miles from your target. With pistols and shotguns you just get up close to things and burst fire and things get hit and die.

e: I had an insane heavy rail rifle with huge damage and range and penetration and shooting at a fat zombie the rail bounced off its body and also "failed to penetrate its tough skin". Why yes a spike the size of your forearm travelling at railgun speeds will totally bounce off the dude's stomach. Must've been eating adamantium armor plating or something.

Hmm. So should I switch to pistols or something until I can find/build enough ammo to fire my assault rifles on burstfire mode? Because my hunting rifle works really well but I'm missing far more than I'd like to still. I can't figure out what's wrong. I always wait until steadiness is maxed out but my confidence levels are still poor until the drat hulk or whatever is 10 squares away already or something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Get a shottie. Blast his face in. What's aiming? :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Get a shottie. Blast his face in. What's aiming? :v:

I would if I could find a drat shotgun worth using. I only found 2 of the single barrel ones that are ancient, apparently.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

saw off the saiga, slap a folding stock on it and have a burst fire shotgun that can fit in a holster.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I have a really dumb question. I have googled, checked the wiki, read the thread, and looked at the help and keybindings, yet this apparently powerful arcane secret eludes me.

How the hell do I stuff poo poo in backpacks and tool belts? Explain it to me like you would an idiot, please, because I certainly feel like one.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Avernus posted:

So I have a really dumb question. I have googled, checked the wiki, read the thread, and looked at the help and keybindings, yet this apparently powerful arcane secret eludes me.

How the hell so I stuff poo poo in backpacks and tool belts? Explain it to me like you would an idiot, please, because I certainly feel like one.

You... don't? If you're wearing a backpack (or any item with storage) then you can just hold that many more items.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

President Ark posted:

You... don't? If you're wearing a backpack (or any item with storage) then you can just hold that many more items.

Seriously? Oh gently caress me I knew the answer was gonna make me feel dumb, but wow. Sorry.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Yeah, many wearable items boost your maximum carried volume (which is treated as a pool). To quote someone else,

Dareon posted:

Inventory:
Here is how inventory works in this game: Every item has a weight and a volume. Items that you wear have among their attributes a storage capacity. The weight you can carry is determined by your Strength, and the volume by the capacity of what you wear. Any item can be wielded, and a wielded item has its volume ignored. This can be used to carry engines back to your car without putting on a dozen pairs of pants (Corollary: you can put on a dozen pairs of pants and carry two engines). Everything else is assumed to be in your pockets somehow, regardless of how silly it may be.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

You can also carry an arbitrarily high amount of weight, but if you go over your limit you start gaining pain based on how far you're over, and if we're talking "carry a huge gas can putting you two hundred pounds over" it gets unpleasant pretty fast.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So will zombies infinitely revive until you butcher their corpse, or is it a probability and/or number of iterations thing?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So will zombies infinitely revive until you butcher their corpse, or is it a probability and/or number of iterations thing?

I believe that zombies will keep reviving, but their condition doesn't improve, so if you kill one enough, you should eventually damage it too badly for it to revive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ducttape posted:

I believe that zombies will keep reviving, but their condition doesn't improve, so if you kill one enough, you should eventually damage it too badly for it to revive.

They're definitely pretty darn weak when they stand back up even once, so maybe in running battle situations I'll only butcher shockers/spitters/brutes.

Edit: oh hey, evolving mandibles while wearing mouth items destroys them. Goodbye, chitin helmet.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Avernus posted:

Seriously? Oh gently caress me I knew the answer was gonna make me feel dumb, but wow. Sorry.

Mind you, you CAN put things like handguns, swords, and knives in your holster/sheath/boot, which reduces encumbrance. It can be annoying to unsheath them. You do that by (a)pplying the storage container item, then selecting the thing you want to store.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually if you have nothing in your hands and you push the "f"ire button, it'll give you a list of holstered weapons to draw.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo. To the dude who gave me advice on how to get to the library, thanks. I found just what I needed. I'm going to go back soon and clear out everything there, then read my books, then tackle the mall a bit at a time.

I found the library and the cafeteria, but does the school have a nurse's office with disinfectant and things?

Edit: There's a book on, among other things, Chemical Warfare in this regional school's library. :stare:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 14, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's a science lab in the back-left corner (from the front) that can have disinfectant. It should be across the courtyard from the cafeteria.

Failing that, check it for oxidizer and bleach - with points in cooking and first aid (which the library hopefully gave you, if you didn't have it already) you should be able to cook disinfectant out of them.

(technically you can make oxidizer out of bleach, but it requires a lot more skill points and chances are the library won't have gotten you to that point)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah you have to burn them away for that to work. You can still butcher them or 's'mash them to keep it from happening.

Never knew about pulping them, kinda makes burning corpses pointless.

So I found my first vibrator. My god, that is a hella high increase to morale. Leave it to nerds to decide a vibrator improves one's mood better then listening to music, smoking a joint and eating some girl scout cookies.

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 14, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Leal posted:

Never knew about pulping them, kinda makes burning corpses pointless.

So I found my first vibrator. My god, that is a hella high increase to morale. Leave it to nerds to decide a vibrator improves one's mood better then listening to music, smoking a joint and eating some girl scout cookies.

You can also 'B'utcher them instead of smashing, but it takes more time and their tainted meat is pretty useless unless you're starving to death.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also 'B'utcher them instead of smashing, but it takes more time and their tainted meat is pretty useless unless you're starving to death.

It still counts as a bit of survival training, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
You can also make mutagen with tainted meat. If you can find enough ammonia and bleach you can make a multiple gallons. You can dehydrate the meat first too, if your cooking skill isn't high enough yet (it probably isn't).