Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
KJV is not even CLOSE to word-for-word, where did this crappy chart come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wulfolme posted:

I would like to take this time to remind everyone that the term "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" was almost certainly popularized by its use in an episode of Family Guy, spoken by Stewie Griffin to two prostitutes.

Thank you.

Pretty sure I first heard this phrase in high school circa 1994, long before Family Guy. It's probably older than that, like that one stylized pointy S everyone remembers drawing in their Trapper Keeper.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you're not reading the new testament in the original Greek you arent trying.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Vulgate is aight too

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a while back, and was old news to most people but the "Nike" stuff was something I didn't know about.

And it is just so horrifyingly misogynistic, even by JimBob standards.

The women, who are forbidden to work and told how to dress and coif their hair, and are considered either baby machines or flithy tempting whores, (even at 5 years old), are required to be the guardians of men's virtue by telling them to avert their eyes whenever they may encounter a *gasp* woman in the wild.

So not only are women to blame, and carry teh sin for causing male lust, no matter how inadvertently they do it, they also have to police that lust and are probably found sinful and lacking if they fail.

"It's not my fault I molested my 5 year old sister. It is your fault for not telling me to look down when I saw that sexy bitches sexy ankles in the street yesterday. And it is my sisters fault for being so alluring. Shame on you."

gently caress you Jim Bob. gently caress you and all who think like you.

I'm pretty sure this is like the same thing they do in mideastern culture where the women are tempting whores unless fully covered. Now it would work just fine, except our culture doesn't give a gently caress, so women dress temptingly beyond their control which means the guys need a way to avoid without looking. It's not so much as the women being responsible for the virtue of men (Though i've no doubt they'd blame the women if they didn't say nike soon enough) but that they really have no other way to handle the situation...you know except be human and control yourself

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

Which Bible version is the best for a dirty atheist to read? There seem to be a dozen popular translations.

Douay–Rheims

It's an English translation from the Latin Vulgate which was compiled from the original scriptures. Prob the most accurate.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

You Are A Elf posted:

Pretty sure I first heard this phrase in high school circa 1994, long before Family Guy. It's probably older than that, like that one stylized pointy S everyone remembers drawing in their Trapper Keeper.

um it's called a Stussy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If you seriously want to read the Bible (lit. Book) then I suggest a study bible that lays out the different books and tells you about the author, when it was written, who it was written for, why it was written, what style it was written in, (poetry is not history is not allegory is not legalease etc) and maybe pick up a solid reading plan that groups the books by theme, and relation to each other. Don't forget the apocrypha! First and Second Maccabees, at the very least. They actually explain what happened right before Jesus was born and thus why the Jews were waiting for a messiah in the first place.

Reading cover to cover straight through with no context is frustrating, nonsensical and terrible. Pick up some commentaries too. Then check out how modern Jews practice their religion. Then maybe look into church history and the different major sects. poo poo will begin to make a lot more sense that way.

TL;DR reading and understanding the bible is a large undertaking that will take a lot of time and effort.

Most Christians I know rarely even crack the fucker open and I'm an atheist.

Oh yeah, then there's apologetics...

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

KJV is not even CLOSE to word-for-word, where did this crappy chart come from?

KJV was the rantings of a very gay king, which was realized through a poo poo translation of a greek book.
But the takeaway here is that the king was historically proven to be very, very gay.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Having 19 children is loving deplorable in my opinion and this family and the Bates family represent the epitome of first world problems. Its simply narcissism. It would still be a poo poo show even if the parents never forced their extreme religious customs & other antisocial bullshit on the children. IIRC they force their kids to have a chaperone around on dates and they can't even do a "chest on chest" hug—only "side hugs". :wtf: Simply holding hands is only allowed when engaged. Can't have a kiss until their wedding day. Jim Bob probably tells the boys to go read the Bible every time they ask him what a wet dream is. Imagine growing up in a household which teaches you this poo poo from the moment you're self aware in the middle of nowhere. Jim Bob really wonders and asks with a straight face why a few of his cattle grow up deranged & confused. gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Bernie Sanders 2016.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Couldn't Gothardite men just blind themselves to avoid temptation? Seems like a sensible solution to me. You won't have to worry about those false Jezebels and their wiles if your eyes are gouged out after all.

TNG fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 14, 2015

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

You Are A Elf posted:

My old man used to say it from time to time back when I was like 8...so mid 80's or so. i never understood it till i got into middle school and was like "Ooooooh, guess i was a big baby"

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Amarcarts posted:

Part of me wants to read the bible through once just because of how culturally significant it is

Another part of me doesn't want to devote one second to that made up nonsense.

Don't read try picking it up and reading it like a novel.

Different books have different authors and purposes, so do a lil research for context and find your own way

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Pvt.Scott posted:

TL;DR reading and understanding the bible is a large undertaking that will take a lot of time and effort.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/index.cfm

Does this site look good, and does this have most of the apocrypha in it? It has Macabees in the middle of the Old Testament, along with good looking introductions before each book.

E: every study guide im finding is stupid, is there something specific that will bring up ones that actually tell you what books mean what to which and all that? ...or maybe do you just remember a good one?

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 14, 2015

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://netbible.com/

https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Matthew+1

The Net Bible is the best one. You can read a billion translations/sources and a team of thousands helped to make it the best translated Bible from all the souces, and can find out where and what each thing means.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

C.P.A.N. posted:

Douay–Rheims

It's an English translation from the Latin Vulgate which was compiled from the original scriptures.

I'm fairly sure we don't have even a scrap of any original scripture to actually verify this. Just copies of copies.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The Bible posted:

I'm fairly sure we don't have even a scrap of any original scripture to actually verify this. Just copies of copies.

so you're saying you're a parachute account?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Ah, Apologetics. The Bible means what it says except when it says something horrible or totally bonkers.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

so you're saying you're a parachute account?

Well, except me. I'm the real deal.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 14, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wulfolme posted:

I would like to take this time to remind everyone that the term "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" was almost certainly popularized by its use in an episode of Family Guy, spoken by Stewie Griffin to two prostitutes.

Thank you.

NoFx - Hot Dog In A Hallway: https://youtu.be/dYeFC7Jj-bM

From waaaayyy back when, and even they didn't make it up.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

The Bible posted:

Well no of course not. The Vulgate was compiled in the 10th century. So even it's English translation is circumspect but I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools until I was 18. The DR version was the best I could find in my research that was as accurate as possible and would make the most sense given my theological education.

I'm an athetits and it wasn't until then that I decided to actually read the thing.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

C.P.A.N. posted:

Well no of course not. The Vulgate was compiled in the 10th century. So even it's English translation is circumspect but I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools until I was 18. The DR version was the best I could find in my research that was as accurate as possible and would make the most sense given my theological education.

I'm an athetits and it wasn't until then that I decided to actually read the thing.

It's older than that, but uses a limited subset of several known textual traditions, and before the discovery of things like the Dead Sea Scrolls. Basically every decent modern translation will be better than the Vulgate even when read in Latin.

That said, there won't me that much variance. And pretty much all modern translations are fine from an academic standpoint. You can probably count on one hand places where translational differences make a significant theological difference between denominations or even religions, eg, "young woman" vs. "virgin" in Isaiah 7:14.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Jim Bob

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
King Jimbob Version

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
The world ending in a fiery cataclysm would be a welcome escape from the living hell that is their reality.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Jefferson's Bible is the best version of the christian bible

all the moral lessons stolen from the Jews and none of the hocus pocus card tricks

https://archive.org/details/thomasjeffersont012049mbp

its like 25-30 pages

may jim borb's blessings pass over your crotchspawn

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The only Bible you'll ever need

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Top City Homo posted:

Jefferson's Bible is the best version of the christian bible

all the moral lessons stolen from the Jews and none of the hocus pocus card tricks

https://archive.org/details/thomasjeffersont012049mbp

its like 25-30 pages

may jim borb's blessings pass over your crotchspawn

this is a nice chill sunday read thx

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you seriously want to read the Bible (lit. Book) then I suggest a study bible that lays out the different books and tells you about the author, when it was written, who it was written for, why it was written, what style it was written in, (poetry is not history is not allegory is not legalease etc) and maybe pick up a solid reading plan that groups the books by theme, and relation to each other. Don't forget the apocrypha! First and Second Maccabees, at the very least. They actually explain what happened right before Jesus was born and thus why the Jews were waiting for a messiah in the first place.

Reading cover to cover straight through with no context is frustrating, nonsensical and terrible. Pick up some commentaries too. Then check out how modern Jews practice their religion. Then maybe look into church history and the different major sects. poo poo will begin to make a lot more sense that way.

P. sure that they don't do this because they know that they'll realize how phony their religion is.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jonny 290 posted:

this is a nice chill sunday read thx

its really funny when you read this and see what jesus wrote and what the cultists do

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

DaveSplitter posted:

P. sure that they don't do this because they know that they'll realize how phony their religion is.

I'll let the priest do all my thinking for me. Man Of God *and* free babysitting, what a swell deal.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fiend posted:

I'll let the priest do all my thinking for me. Man Of God *and* free babysitting, what a swell deal.

:q:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Bible posted:

Ah, Apologetics. The Bible means what it says except when it says something horrible or totally bonkers.

Well, except me. I'm the real deal.

I think that's not simplified enough for apologetics. It's more like "The bible means what it says and is completely right and inerrant unless it says something I don't like" since you'll see that it's not always bonkers or horrible things that draw the apologetics crowds

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wulfolme posted:

Thank you.
You're that kid who keeps telling people that the rolling stones plagiarized britney spears or whatever when they hear a cover song first aren't you

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Wulfolme posted:

http://www.usccb.org/bible/books-of-the-bible/index.cfm

Does this site look good, and does this have most of the apocrypha in it? It has Macabees in the middle of the Old Testament, along with good looking introductions before each book.

E: every study guide im finding is stupid, is there something specific that will bring up ones that actually tell you what books mean what to which and all that? ...or maybe do you just remember a good one?

I have the Legacy Study Bible. It's got a fair bit of info for each chapter and room for notes on every page etc. it's the Hank Hanegraaf one. I got the leather one because it's nice. Also has an associated study plan I believe. It's been a few years since I did any bible poo poo, so I may have to check that out.

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Study-Bible-Hank-Hanegraaff/dp/B001O9CAIQ

E: I'm not sure if the cheaper ones have all of the margin space and extras, like a place for your family tree and poo poo. There's also maps by era.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 14, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

I think that's not simplified enough for apologetics. It's more like "The bible means what it says and is completely right and inerrant unless it says something I don't like" since you'll see that it's not always bonkers or horrible things that draw the apologetics crowds

Apologetics literally means the legal defense of something. You can be an apologist for anything. Christian apologetics interests me because I play tabletop RPGs and I'm a dirty rules lawyer. It's like rules lawyering for The Lord!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's like rules lawyering for The Lord!

Hallelujah!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
झिम भाब्

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Bim Jorb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

You're that kid who keeps telling people that the rolling stones plagiarized britney spears or whatever when they hear a cover song first aren't you

A. Shut it, this is the serious Bible discussion thread now.
B. Wow you are still grousing over a post I made about family guy days ago. Let it go, man.

• Locked thread