Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

axleblaze posted:

That's dated from march, way before they announced who the recast was. This appears to be her current reaction

Well that's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Just get Steve Blum to voice the entire cast.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

uncleKitchener posted:

Just get Steve Blum to voice the entire cast.

The Wolverine and Spike Spiegel Show.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Wolverine and Spike Spiegel Show.

:perfect:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JC Quintel just tweeted that the Regular Show movie is finished

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

drrockso20 posted:

part of the reason CN screwed over most of it's DC shows between Batman:BATB and TTGO was that CN and DC have a REALLY bad relationship for two companies that are owned by the same people, which combined with most of the recent DC shows prior to TTGO only getting average ratings at best made it so it was in CN's best interest to screw over DC's stuff(similar thing happened with most of their non-Ben 10 action series over the last 8 or so years, especially if they were made by an outside studio, part of the reason that Hasbro tried to make The Hub into the sole destination for most of it's stuff after CN screwed them over during Transformers Animated's third season, otherwise we probably would have gotten most of The Hub's original programming on CN if it was even made)
Even Brave and the Bold probably got screwed over by CN, since the final episode is pretty much entirely a jab at them (and not a very subtle one, at that).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

uncleKitchener posted:

Anyone remember SWAT Kats? I remember it being a fun show, but haven't watched it in more than a decade, so I don't know if it has aged well or not, considering it's been more than 10 years since it last aired. I never watched the whole show since I was too distracted with HBO Spawn.

In my opinion, I think the show holds up pretty well. Of course, when I say that, I mean about as well as an action/adventure show about anthropomorphic animals can hold up. The show has pretty good writing, minus the writers' annoying attempt to use words like "crud" and "bingo" repeatedly. The animation quality varies in the first season, ranging from mediocre to pretty good, while the second season is mostly pretty good. The most "extreme" thing about SWAT Kats is probably the music, which is mostly 90s metal, but it's actually rather fitting, and doesn't come off as particularly obnoxious, along with the overall score which contains a mix of standard synth. And the show was surprisingly okay with many characters straight up dying, which for me, is always a plus in a kids show.

readingatwork posted:

To be fair the first and last seasons weren't awful. There are far worse series that could be resurrected from the dead.

Some of the later seasons of Ben 10 when he becomes a teenager are legit good. Writing improved substantially and was actually quite clever. Especially with that dude who's a parody of Sean Hannity. Which series was that?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

U.T. Raptor posted:

Even Brave and the Bold probably got screwed over by CN, since the final episode is pretty much entirely a jab at them (and not a very subtle one, at that).
It even goes back further than that because iirc CN was loving with the schedule of goddamn JLU.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

It even goes back further than that because iirc CN was loving with the schedule of goddamn JLU.

Thankfully, despite their attempts at screwing over the show, it had a really good run and a solid ending.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think I've noticed a contributing factor as to why the new art style for the Powerpuff Girls looks so flat. Uniform line thickness. On the original art for the original series the outlines were much thicker than the lines denoting where clothes begin and end, which themselves were thicker than the lines denoting individual facial features. In the new images they are the exact same width, making it look more 'drawn by a single pencil by a talented fan' than anything.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Mr Interweb posted:

Some of the later seasons of Ben 10 when he becomes a teenager are legit good. Writing improved substantially and was actually quite clever. Especially with that dude who's a parody of Sean Hannity. Which series was that?

That was Omniverse. I think it was my favorite of them all because unlike the middle two series, it didn't take itself seriously. Also I'm a sucker for Derrick Wyatt's art style so. :kiddo:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

That was Omniverse. I think it was my favorite of them all because unlike the middle two series, it didn't take itself seriously. Also I'm a sucker for Derrick Wyatt's art style so. :kiddo:

I really liked how even when it took itself seriously it wasn't annoying and too serious and used visuals amazingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcQNgfil7gI

Just the way the more "mature" teenage Ben talks normally during his half-assed attempt at sounding cool to his younger version is awesome. Omniverse had a great run.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I've noticed a contributing factor as to why the new art style for the Powerpuff Girls looks so flat. Uniform line thickness. On the original art for the original series the outlines were much thicker than the lines denoting where clothes begin and end, which themselves were thicker than the lines denoting individual facial features. In the new images they are the exact same width, making it look more 'drawn by a single pencil by a talented fan' than anything.

The piece of promo art also has them all in the same pose, making the same expression. That combined with the lack of line art and stiff, symmetrical poses doesn't inspire confidence. That said, I would have to see actual animation clips before really judging it. There's a lot of decent shows out there with single, boring promo bits.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So is there anything on the level of Avatar: The Last Airbender on currently?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Interweb posted:

well, johnny test is p bad, so

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mr Interweb posted:

Not really.
Steven Universe does the slow worldbuilding with one off jokes and incidents actually mattering later that atla did (also a pacifist protagonist who'd get along with aang well) but does not have the strong mythology aspect or amazing action scenes.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

Not really.
Steven Universe does the slow worldbuilding with one off jokes and incidents actually mattering later that atla did (also a pacifist protagonist who'd get along with aang well) but does not have the strong mythology aspect or amazing action scenes.

Steven Universe hasn't really hit its stride as an action show yet but the fight choreography is consistently excellent. I feel like it's gonna end up being more similar to Avatar than not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

In my opinion, I think the show holds up pretty well. Of course, when I say that, I mean about as well as an action/adventure show about anthropomorphic animals can hold up. The show has pretty good writing, minus the writers' annoying attempt to use words like "crud" and "bingo" repeatedly. The animation quality varies in the first season, ranging from mediocre to pretty good, while the second season is mostly pretty good. The most "extreme" thing about SWAT Kats is probably the music, which is mostly 90s metal, but it's actually rather fitting, and doesn't come off as particularly obnoxious, along with the overall score which contains a mix of standard synth. And the show was surprisingly okay with many characters straight up dying, which for me, is always a plus in a kids show.

SWAT Kats is a great show because it got canceled for being too awesome. Ok that's not strictly true, but it was the highest rated kids program both years it ran and parents lobbied the hell out of Turner with complaints. Utlimately, I believe it was a victim of the rest of the partnership it was part of being a failure/cartoon-network being started but I prefer to believe it was canceled for being too Radical.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Why would parents complain because a cartoon is high rated? Was it particularly violent?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Why would parents complain because a cartoon is high rated? Was it particularly violent?

It was, by the standards of its time for kids cartoons, incredibly violent so parents were extremely unhappy that the highest rated show on TV for kids was about two kats flying a fighter jet. They solve 99% of their problems via missiles, missile barrages, custom missiles with the technobabble of the week, and turning their plane into a missile and ejecting at the last second. The only life lessons anybody learns is "all threats must be dealt with via extreme prejudice" and "sweet mother of god JDAMs rule"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acne Rain posted:

Not really.

The humour in SU is so much better that it's not even funny (ironically enough).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 21, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The humour in SU us do much better that isn't even funny (ironically enough).

"Hello, this... is Mom Universe. Yes, the children are playing swords. Sorry, playing with swords. They're bleeding. Oh no, they are dead. Don't call again. *Beat* Sorry, I panicked."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The humour in SU is so much better that it's not even funny (ironically enough).

Also, Steven Universe has no problem switching tones with ease. It can go from goofy humor to screaming horror to brutal sadness on a dime and still be excellent.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm marathoning Steven Universe for the first time finally, and I'm loving it so much. The characters are ALL so great. ALL of them. Like seriously, it's kind of ridiculous that I'm just as invested by the two donut shop workers as I am the Gems. I thought Steven was kind of obnoxious at first but that feeling didn't last. I LOVE how the show brings up things then like 5-10 episodes later, it brings it up again. It has awesome continuity. I'm almost done with season 1. I think my favorite episode so far has been Together Alone. There's a bunch of reasons, the writing was just top notch that episode.

Also something that I think is pretty great: The way Greg is handled. That kind of character would easily just be a deadbeat dad character. But SU doesn't do that at all. He's actually a really loving dad to Steven, they hang out all the time, the Gems at most just think he's kind of weird, and it's never really like... shameful? I guess? that Steven is living with the Gems because Greg can't really give him the kind of home environment he needs. It's a really interesting dynamic that I feel would be completely mishandled on any other show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I'm marathoning Steven Universe for the first time finally, and I'm loving it so much. The characters are ALL so great. ALL of them. Like seriously, it's kind of ridiculous that I'm just as invested by the two donut shop workers as I am the Gems. I thought Steven was kind of obnoxious at first but that feeling didn't last. I LOVE how the show brings up things then like 5-10 episodes later, it brings it up again. It has awesome continuity. I'm almost done with season 1. I think my favorite episode so far has been Together Alone. There's a bunch of reasons, the writing was just top notch that episode.

Also something that I think is pretty great: The way Greg is handled. That kind of character would easily just be a deadbeat dad character. But SU doesn't do that at all. He's actually a really loving dad to Steven, they hang out all the time, the Gems at most just think he's kind of weird, and it's never really like... shameful? I guess? that Steven is living with the Gems because Greg can't really give him the kind of home environment he needs. It's a really interesting dynamic that I feel would be completely mishandled on any other show.

All these post-Adventure-Time storyboard artist diaspora shows have really interesting dad dynamics. Clarence has something similar, with a father figure who's obviously descended from Homer Simpson who is a believable loser, but he's emotionally real and motivated by love for Clarence and his mom--and in a reversal of the Simpsons parent-child dynamic, Clarence idolizes him and has no idea that he's in any way deficient as a father-figure or an adult.

And of course Adventure Time has taken the deadbeat aspects of Homer in the opposite direction and made a bumbling failed parent who is actually toxic and terrible.

In about 10 years there may be an interesting dissertation in a field that doesn't exist yet that traces the genealogy of the post-Simpsons animated comedy flawed father.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I haven't noticed any reruns of Regular Show between last season finale and this upcoming bomb week, and I've been wondering what that means for the show's future. Did I just miss them?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jack Gladney posted:

All these post-Adventure-Time storyboard artist diaspora shows have really interesting dad dynamics. Clarence has something similar, with a father figure who's obviously descended from Homer Simpson who is a believable loser, but he's emotionally real and motivated by love for Clarence and his mom--and in a reversal of the Simpsons parent-child dynamic, Clarence idolizes him and has no idea that he's in any way deficient as a father-figure or an adult.

And of course Adventure Time has taken the deadbeat aspects of Homer in the opposite direction and made a bumbling failed parent who is actually toxic and terrible.

In about 10 years there may be an interesting dissertation in a field that doesn't exist yet that traces the genealogy of the post-Simpsons animated comedy flawed father.

It is interesting, since back when it was good The Simpsons was a piss take on the archetypal TV nuclear family. Which was considered wild and subversive then, but likely could have inspired more "honest" portrayals like the kind you see in those cartoons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

It is interesting, since back when it was good The Simpsons was a piss take on the archetypal TV nuclear family. Which was considered wild and subversive then, but likely could have inspired more "honest" portrayals like the kind you see in those cartoons.

Yeah, and the Simpsons is a lot more cynical and destructive as well. Despite the moments of family togetherness, the show is basically about people trying and failing to live decent lives in a horrible world set up to make them fail. The first few seasons are incredibly bleak, and the Simpsons are often powerless to help themselves--and a lot of the humor of the show comes out of their failures to measure up to Flanders or to win any victories at all because they are good-hearted but weak and foolish. It's a show with a basically skeptical philosophy that punishes the Simpsons to tell you that a classic set of beliefs about middle-class life and the protestant work ethic are untrue and are tools of a corrupt, collapsing system of control. It's irony targeted at the characters.

These new shows seem really earnest and hopeful, even though they take a lot of cues from the Simpsons in how they set up expectation versus reality. All of the kids are basically good-hearted but dumb and not usually up to understanding their situations, and often the backdrop is something pretty bleak: Clarence's mom works really hard to keep their house and his father took off and Chad is kind of a bum; Adventure Time's magical fairytale world is that way because it's all mutations from a horrible war that destroyed the world and has left lurking terrors behind that are utterly beyond the dumb boy hero; Steven Universe is in a really complex situation he's only just beginning to understand. But they all treat the setting and the characters with respect, and say that it's ok to have a difficult life and just push a very optimistic sort of positivity that doesn't come off (to me) as hollow or insufficient. Bad stuff happens to them and they acknowledge it and keep going, and that's alright. I really like it, and it's a nice evolution to some kind of guarded optimism from the totally cynical Gen-X negation that characterizes the Simpsons. I like these kids today, these millennials or whatever they're called.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Philip Rivers posted:

Steven Universe hasn't really hit its stride as an action show yet but the fight choreography is consistently excellent. I feel like it's gonna end up being more similar to Avatar than not.

I disagree as it's only ten minutes an episode and highly focused on characters. It simply doesn't have time for combat all the time. That's fine, it does not need to, but it might not be everything you're looking for if you miss the continent leveling martial arts battles of water and rocks and fire flying everywhere that atla regularly had.
Plus I guess nothing does this but I really liked how atla handled mysticism.

Don't get me wrong, I really like SU. I like that someone not only dared to make the Political Correctness Gone Mad as a tv show but they made it work and it's getting so much love even from people who didn't want to. It's beaten Atla at that game and it's not like Atla wasn't all unabashedly pro-equality and all that, that was in fact the main characters mission even.

But if you miss Aang and his quest and all that... well, it kind of depends on what you liked about it, there probably isn't a replacement that say, seeks to balance having some combat each episode and character arcs. Or the mystic aspect of Atla... again, I don't think anyone has been able to make something that felt like Atla did.

This is perhaps why I soured so loving hard on Korra season 2 to the point where I still will not watch the seasons people actually insisted were good. It was worse than going from "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" to Midichlorians in your blood test

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 22, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing is, Greg isn't really a deadbeat. He owns his own little business, and I'm sure that he probably could buy a home or at least rent out an apartment, he just doesn't.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Simpsons is also a great example of how not having a show be creator-driven can be a good thing, since Groening wanted to end the show with a twist ending where Homer and Krusty are the person and Marge pulls off her hair and reveals bunny ears undernearh because she was one of his My Life In Hell characters all along.

It's pretty telling that The Simpsons had its best seasons after he threw a hissyfit over having to cross-promote The Critic and cut off his involvement.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

The Simpsons is also a great example of how not having a show be creator-driven can be a good thing, since Groening wanted to end the show with a twist ending where Homer and Krusty are the person and Marge pulls off her hair and reveals bunny ears undernearh because she was one of his My Life In Hell characters all along.

It's pretty telling that The Simpsons had its best seasons after he threw a hissyfit over having to cross-promote The Critic and cut off his involvement.

The Critic episode was season 6. There was more good seasons before that than there would good seasons after that. It's kind of arbitrary to say him becoming less involved had much of an effect, especially because he honestly didn't have that much involvement in the first place. It's more likely the show got the different feel around that time because the people that made The Critic were working on that show and not the Simpson at the time.

Simpsons also is an example of how a having a show separate from the creator can be bad. Sure it wouldn't have got those 9 amazing and 2 or 3 pretty great seasons, but right now I'd take an animated Life in Hell in a second over what the last god knows how many years has brought us.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

I know you meant for that to sound unreasonable but The Simpsons ending on a Torch and Burn ending would have been better than it turning into a zombie.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Has there been any reveal as to why LOK ended up half good half bad throughout the years? Some people blame Nick while others say the creators also didn't press all the right buttons the whole time.

I really wanted LOK to be the next ATLA but it was a mixed bag the more I watch it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

uncleKitchener posted:

Has there been any reveal as to why LOK ended up half good half bad throughout the years? Some people blame Nick while others say the creators also didn't press all the right buttons the whole time.

I really wanted LOK to be the next ATLA but it was a mixed bag the more I watch it.

Aside from schedule fuckery (Season 1 being planned as standalone then picked up midway for follow-on seasons) and production headaches (different animation studios coming in to handle the workload that overwhelmed the first)?

I'm pretty sure the whole thing suffered from a general lack of cohesive vision from the start. ATLA benefited from that big first season order and you could set up a lot with a 20 episodes. Then you can start paying off your setup with another 20 for an act 2.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think a big issue with Korra was that it came out well after ATLA had grown a huge fanbase, and so the writers (a lot of which didn't return for the new show) spent more time indulging those fans than actually telling a good story.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

I think a big issue with Korra was that it came out well after ATLA had grown a huge fanbase, and so the writers (a lot of which didn't return for the new show) spent more time indulging those fans than actually telling a good story.

But they did a terrible job of indulging fans, the show begins with every rando on the street being able to metal bend, use lightning, and blood bend. Weren't these techniques established as super difficult in ATLA? But now they're super common, they lose their impact because of that.

Also Avatar Korra is whiny and annoying all the time, up until the last season, which I guess was supposed to be character growth. But why should I care about a character who just seems to make selfish terrible choices all the time, why should I care that she learns to be a good person. Aang was innocent and naive, we liked him because he didn't know better, Korra is stupid and petulant, we like her... why? because she's the Avatar? No wonder everyone hated the Avatar in this series.

I found myself liking the side characters way more than Korra, Bolin actually had an arc that made sense and made him likable (as well as bad rear end). It's a shame he had so little to do throughout the series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the realization is that ATLA was never really that good in the first place, with stuff like Aang meeting a magical frog who allows him to bypass the whole moral conundrum of "should i kill, even when it's justified? even when if i don't then everyone will die because the person I'm fighting has no morals to appeal to?"

energy bending was loving stupid and a loving stupid concept to even play with in the first place because ATLA is a show for kids and they'd never actually show the main character murdering the main antagonist in cold blood, but built the entirety of season 3 around having aang have this deep-seated moral conundrum which the show then completely cheapened by instituting a magical loving frog that magically gave aang a pacifistic option that solved everything

like, the show couldn't and shouldn't have ended with aang killing the fire emperor, but it also should've recognized that by storytelling instead of setting up a binary "either aang kills the emperor or the emperor destroys the world! which is which?! OH WAIT NEVER MIND HERE'S A THIRD OPTION THAT MAGICALLY SOLVES EVERYTHING" been more flexible, you can't set up an "Either A or B Has to Happen" series climax then go "well, actually, C happened", it's poo poo storytelling

there's also stuff like season 3 introducing that aang can't fall in love and keep his avatar powers, emphasizing the theme of self-sacrifice the murder moral conundrum exemplified (what is aang willing to do to stop evil? kill and give up the love of his life?) and then the show inexplicably pairing up aang and katara anyways literally just to please the shippers, ATLA sold out its stakes every step of the way in the final season

korra took all of those problems and exemplified it, and it's why it's so poo poo, it was based on a universe that already sold out its own narrative just, well, just cause and pulled the same narrative tricks over and over and over and over again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncleKitchener posted:

The only real issue with Season 1 is the flub of the last ~5 minutes or so (post Amon reveal), but that could have easily been executed better. Everything else was nerd projection of the same variety as the Cthulu stuff in True Detective. Season 2 was again people being mad that the bad guy was clearly the bad guy, and sub-par animation for the first half didn't help.

Also, as (sorta) mentioned above Season 3 of the original series was also flubbed about as badly. Really I think the only parts people liked about the original series were Zuko, and without a similar sort of "Bad guy who turns good but not really(?)" character then fans' expectations would never be met.