Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
As Jason Whitlock once said, learn the rules so you'll know when and how to properly break them.

He also said some lucky lady is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight so he probably should've taken his own advice.

Copernic posted:

rough day for people pretending to be black

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Truly Undefeated. 0-0.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Copernic posted:

:golfclap:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Copernic posted:

lmao

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2015/06/update-on-espns-site-on-race-and-sports/

quote:

As we continue to move forward in the process of creating The Undefeated – a new ESPN site focusing on race and sports – we have collectively decided to make some structural adjustments that will maximize the skill sets and strengths of our team, leading to the best possible output for the site and for all of ESPN. To that end, Jason Whitlock will now be entirely focused on what he does best: creating distinctive and compelling content, which will live across various ESPN platforms. Jason’s thought-provoking perspective has always been a hallmark of his work and this will allow him to completely devote his time and energy to that. As a result, he will make significant contributions to multiple ESPN entities and programs. Since returning to ESPN, Jason has been instrumental in assembling the foundation of a strong editorial team, formulating the vision for the project and collaborating with our digital product team to develop the blueprint for the site.

Leon Carter – an experienced leader in journalism who officially joined the site in January after leading staffs at the New York Daily News and ESPNNewYork.com – will assume all day-to-day management of the site’s editorial processes and personnel on an interim basis.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Speaking of vanity sites, it looks like Woj is trying to put one together.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

350k+ people watch like 5 hours of league of legends during their season for 4 straight days. The world championship sold out the Staples Center in under a day in 2013 and like 25 million people watched it. They are 18 months past becoming a legit thing.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Hahaha wow. If Woj's personality is anything like the opinion columns he puts out for agents, teams and players, that's gonna be a disaster.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Badfinger posted:

350k+ people watch like 5 hours of league of legends during their season for 4 straight days. The world championship sold out the Staples Center in under a day in 2013 and like 25 million people watched it. They are 18 months past becoming a legit thing.

I am thoroughly mystified by anyone wanting to watch someone else play video games but I acknowledge the world is passing me by.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zakharov posted:

I am thoroughly mystified by anyone wanting to watch someone else play video games but I acknowledge the world is passing me by.

I like watching people compete and enjoy the aesthetics of some video games as they are played. That's about as deep as it goes.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

JoeDumarsPressReleases.com is available.

I hope this means Jason Whitlock can go back to recording 4 unedited podcasts a week. His Fox Sports podcast was my favorite podcast by a mile.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

zakharov posted:

You watch wrestling! I watch cars drive!

It's a competition with compelling gameplay and drama. It also has an extremely high skill ceiling but extremely low barrier to entry. The average player is as far away from the cream of the crop as the average basketball shootaround is from Jordan, but after you watch a game you can get much closer to emulating something they did than I ever got to dunking.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
EVO's fun as poo poo to watch and it sucks I'm gonna miss it this year due to moving but I know nothing about LOL and those other games so yeah, I can see why they'd be rough to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When you get down to it it's probably not inherently any more silly than watching a bunch of grown rear end men hit a ball with a stick and play what is basically glorified musical chairs. All sports are pretty dumb on the most basic level.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think, for me, the difference is that Cleveland is an actual place, Manziel is an actual person, and that pass on third down actually happened, whereas Naxxramas is not a real place, Kel'Thuzad isn't a real person, and I never got injured by Shadow Fissure.

I'm somewhat I actually had to look those names up though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A huge draw of sports is the physicality and the spectacle. IMO

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alain Post posted:

You would like professional wrestling :)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Everyone needs their dumb poo poo to yell at.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah but that doesn't mean that all dumb poo poo is going to be popular.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Alain Post posted:

With video games, it's often stupid fast reaction times, prediction stuff, and ridiculous aim/mechanics.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

have you been thibs this whole time

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
League of Legends is the worlds greatest sport and the desperate scrabblings of 30 year old men on web board explaining that actually, it's for nerds couldn't possibly slow its ryze. Welcome to the future. Welcome to the Gragas Century.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kibner posted:

With video games, it's often stupid fast reaction times, prediction stuff, and ridiculous aim/mechanics.

Nobody watching me put poo poo in Excel and I'm using all three of those skills!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sash! posted:

Nobody watching me put poo poo in Excel and I'm using all three of those skills!

are you streaming it?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
And are you competing against someone else that is also streaming?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Excel is basically the frisbee golf of esports

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

League of Legends is the worlds greatest sport and the desperate scrabblings of 30 year old men on web board explaining that actually, it's for nerds couldn't possibly slow its ryze. Welcome to the future. Welcome to the Gragas Century.

I have no problem with the concept of eSports, but man, I just can't get into watching League of Legends or any other MOBA. Whatever though, they're reasonably popular, it's cool.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

OrangeKing posted:

I have no problem with the concept of eSports, but man, I just can't get into watching League of Legends or any other MOBA. Whatever though, they're reasonably popular, it's cool.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. That's like me and baseball. It just doesn't do anything for me.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
ESPN literally shows a spelling bee every year, not to mention stuff like a hot dog eating contest, pool, bowling, poker, nascar, golf, competitive cup stacking, and even chess but people like to draw a line at e-sports for some reason.

Seriously though, the spelling bee is super dumb. ESPN should show those high school math competitions too while they are at it, and maybe the finals for a national debate club competition.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The spelling bee is not dumb :colbert:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

No joke I would watch high school math competitions. Math owns.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I don't know if it's in the Sports Journalism but the Hogan vs Gawker case is coming up and they just be the latest fallen opponent to Hulkamania.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

So It Goes posted:

ESPN literally shows a spelling bee every year, not to mention stuff like a hot dog eating contest, pool, bowling, poker, nascar, golf, competitive cup stacking, and even chess but people like to draw a line at e-sports for some reason.

Seriously though, the spelling bee is super dumb. ESPN should show those high school math competitions too while they are at it, and maybe the finals for a national debate club competition.

If you didn't think the Gokul/Vanya showdown was one of the sports events of the century then get the gently caress out of SAS

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Parlett316 posted:

I don't know if it's in the Sports Journalism but the Hogan vs Gawker case is coming up and they just be the latest fallen opponent to Hulkamania.

Let me tell you something brother, he killed Andre the Giant in front of 2.9 million screaming Hulkamanicas in the Pontiac Silverdome brother, he can kill Gawker media in the court of law

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

He's going to be in trouble when the lights go out in the court house and they start playing Brutus "The Beefcake" Barber's courtroom entrance music.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope Gawker dies so that I never have to accidentally end up on Jezebel when I'm reading something on io9, and I'm willing to sacrifice Foxtrot Alpha for this.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Sash! posted:

I think, for me, the difference is that Cleveland is an actual place, Manziel is an actual person, and that pass on third down actually happened, whereas Naxxramas is not a real place, Kel'Thuzad isn't a real person, and I never got injured by Shadow Fissure.

I'm somewhat I actually had to look those names up though.

But Manziel isn't actually a Brown and LeBron isn't actually a cavalier (probably) so I guess those sports are invalidated as well.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Sash! posted:

I hope Gawker dies so that I never have to accidentally end up on Jezebel when I'm reading something on io9, and I'm willing to sacrifice Foxtrot Alpha for this.

I feel dirty going over when I stumble on a neat foreign car article on their car site

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

R.D. Mangles posted:

He's going to be in trouble when the lights go out in the court house and they start playing Brutus "The Beefcake" Barber's courtroom entrance music.

Hogan and Gawker will shake hands in the barbershop and then hogan's newly repaired hips will deliver a superkick/legdrop combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

GoutPatrol posted:

Hogan and Gawker will shake hands in the barbershop and then hogan's newly repaired hips will deliver a superkick/legdrop combo

If I was Gawker's legal counsel, I'd call Hogan to the stand and then play Macho Man's "Be a Man Hulk" at him until he agreed to drop his lawsuit.

I would be a terrible attorney.