Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bholder posted:

Are you guys just looking for excuses to say "the writing is wrong"?

I mean if we are about to sperg how things make no sense, why not complain what Geckos eat? How can huge Scorpions and insects exist at all, because their bodies would not be able to hold together increased mass? How the gently caress are Securitrons considered good design, yes give the robot that's standing on a single tire a rocket launcher, it will NEVER topple over! Where the gently caress do people get electricity? Why are psychic powers considered canon?

The thing is, lots of those questions are answered in New Vegas. There's all sorts of wild plant life that Geckos (And the Courier) can eat, Radscorpions and Radroaches are the result of FEV in addition to radiation exposure (And Cazadores were specifically designed in a lab), segways exist and depending on the design rocket launchers are recoilless, the Hoover Dam and Helios One (If you fix it), and for the life of me I could not tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowMar posted:

no but if you care about anything at all that means you're a sperg because as a goon i can't understand basic concepts

is it really that hard to just run around and be a shooty mans? if you're going to run a fine tooth comb through every game you play and analyze every detail because ~immersion~ or whatever, you're always going to be disappointed. if you find something silly like a bug or an inconsistency, laugh at it and keep going. hell, finding stuff like that is half of the fun of the games, and i don't want it fixed. like when you see rivet city, the correct response is to say "fuckin rights, a big rear end boat city!" not "hmmm, this boat is in a state of disrepair that surely would've led to it sinking over the last hundred years. problematic." you're not going to get novel level detail from a video game. suck it up or go read a book.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
guys calm down i promise you'll see more tonight

stop going crazy and attacking each other over how video game characters eat

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Eonwe posted:

guys calm down i promise you'll see more tonight

stop going crazy and attacking each other over how video game characters eat

How can they chew their food if they can't even lip sync properly!?
Everything's hosed!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

2house2fly posted:

The whole "what do they eat" thing is largely because of that Shandification Of Fallout video and it's pretty overblown imo;

Technically, the point of the Shandification of Fallout isn't literally "what do they eat", but "how far have they taken their game simulation to represent a literal realistic place where questions aren't just met with more questions".

New Vegas as a simulation isn't perfect, but it goes to a pretty far out length to establish how everything ties together, from the politics of Mr. House to the expansion of the NCR and the motivations of the Legion, evil as they might be.

I get what they were going for a lot of the time in Fallout 3, but it often falls just a bit flat. And I don't think it's an extremely controversial opinion to have to say that Bethesda has really lovely writing ever since after they released Morrowind. Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3, while impressive games, have really fallen short in the story aspect. And when the story is the setting, as it always is in open world games, that is going to show seams down the line.

That is why I don't find it extremely surprising that some people enjoyed Oblivion, but can't find anything to enjoy about Skyrim or vice-versa. There are seams and it is tearing the games apart and people can't really quite pick out where this weakness comes from.

I don't think Bethesda can fix that without better writers working for them, so I think at best this all just serves as a good warning for what to expect with Fallout 4.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Volkerball posted:

is it really that hard to just run around and be a shooty mans? if you're going to run a fine tooth comb through every game you play and analyze every detail because ~immersion~ or whatever, you're always going to be disappointed. if you find something silly like a bug or an inconsistency, laugh at it and keep going. hell, finding stuff like that is half of the fun of the games, and i don't want it fixed. like when you see rivet city, the correct response is to say "fuckin rights, a big rear end boat city!" not "hmmm, this boat is in a state of disrepair that surely would've led to it sinking over the last hundred years. problematic." you're not going to get novel level detail from a video game. suck it up or go read a book.
the difference being that fallout 3/oblivion/skyrim give you little more to care about than stabbing everyone in the face which i was perfectly fine with because nobody cares nor they would care beyond an invisible number associated with you (and in the case of skyrim, don't care at all) this is fine, but this puts the narrative in a level similar to postal. (not serious sam or doom, there's actually some gravity in the situation presented to you)

in 1/2/new vegas/morrowind there's a lot of good compelling reasons to not do just that because the world is painted in a way that implies more societal impact than the engine allows. if this is sperging then "suspension of disbelief" is sperging and a whole lot of people do that

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 14, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

sout posted:

How can they chew their food if they can't even lip sync properly!?
Everything's hosed!

Have you seen any dentists around?

How do people in Fallout still have teeth?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

Have you seen any dentists around?

How do people in Fallout still have teeth?
People who don't go to dentists become ghouls. Tooth decay evolved into all-decay :unsmigghh:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Volkerball posted:

The problem is, as an open-world RPG the game encourages the player to talk to everyone, run over everything, and see firsthand how the world sticks together. The problem with Fallout 3 isn't necessarily that it falls apart if you look at it hard enough, but that it's so poorly put together that it practically calls attention to its internal contradictions and flaws. It's a lot easier to tear apart if even the most basic premises of the game don't make sense.

edit: also if you're playing the game just to shoot stuff in a post-apoc setting you really should just be playing the Metro series instead, considering how much better the shooting mechanics in that game are compared to anything either 3 or NV has to offer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bholder posted:

I mean if we are about to sperg how things make no sense, why not complain what Geckos eat? How can huge Scorpions and insects exist at all, because their bodies would not be able to hold together increased mass? How the gently caress are Securitrons considered good design, yes give the robot that's standing on a single tire a rocket launcher, it will NEVER topple over! Where the gently caress do people get electricity? Why are psychic powers considered canon?

None of these are really related to poor writing/worldbuilding. It's like excusing bad plotting in a fantasy story (the Lannister army traversing far too large a distance to defend King's Landing from Stannis's army in Game of Thrones just because the plot says so) because well there's dragons! and blood magic!

Besides, there are working power plants in New Vegas. And y'know the Dam.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 14, 2015

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think complaints about a lack of farms and implausible townships are more about how Fallout 3 doesn't have any substance to its writing. It's the theme park complaint again - "cool ideas" are just thrown in arbitrarily without any deeper thought or consideration to theme, tone, etc. New Vegas is good not because you can plot out a food web for the whole region, but because even dumb throwaway quests contribute to the larger story about the clash of civilisations and the omnipresent ghost of war.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lt. Danger posted:

I think complaints about a lack of farms and implausible townships are more about how Fallout 3 doesn't have any substance to its writing. It's the theme park complaint again - "cool ideas" are just thrown in arbitrarily without any deeper thought or consideration to theme, tone, etc. New Vegas is good not because you can plot out a food web for the whole region, but because even dumb throwaway quests contribute to the larger story about the clash of civilisations and the omnipresent ghost of war.
when it comes to ~my immersion~ a chain is only as good as its weakest link, and new vegas' weakest links are much stronger than fallout 3's. you cannot reconcile how a settlement like Little Lamplight stays the same in 200 years without even taking to account game mechanics and player expectations, while you can explain the overabundance of Fiends by just wanting to give the player something to shoot at.

(good effort but I don't think MisterBibs understands the idea of "abstract concepts" at all, i mean he doesn't even know what learning means)

Acebuckeye13 posted:

edit: also if you're playing the game just to shoot stuff in a post-apoc setting you really should just be playing the Metro series instead, considering how much better the shooting mechanics in that game are compared to anything either 3 or NV has to offer.
It's a series where you're actually coerced not to shoot as many people as possible, because psychic Jesus might not like it or something, but not that the people wanting to shoot things care about things like that so I guess that works

in other news, Fallout 4 will be far more colorful, so at least it'll feel more like Postal 2 IN THE 50S!!! when the worldbuilding inevitably shits the bed.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 14, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Little Lamplight stretched my ability to overlook things far, far more than "but where's the farms?????"

Like seriously in 200 years nobody has figured that children are really easy targets to steal poo poo from and raided it? Or where are the kids coming from? New children must be showing up, but how?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Like seriously in 200 years nobody has figured that children are really easy targets to steal poo poo from and raided it? Or where are the kids coming from? New children must be showing up, but how?
The tragedy is, a simple subplot of irresponsible pregnancy *somewhere* and parents having smuggled the kids into Little Lamplight could have fixed much of that, even if it was just a note in a bathroom stall.

There's a lot of possible little patches Fallout 3 could have done to alleviate glaring flaws that just aren't done for some reason.

Basically Michael Kirkbride should never have left the gaming industry. He'd have that poo poo down pat.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The problem is, as an open-world RPG the game encourages the player to talk to everyone, run over everything, and see firsthand how the world sticks together. The problem with Fallout 3 isn't necessarily that it falls apart if you look at it hard enough, but that it's so poorly put together that it practically calls attention to its internal contradictions and flaws. It's a lot easier to tear apart if even the most basic premises of the game don't make sense.

Fallout 3's main story was boring and I don't even remember it, but there were a ton of fun side quests and more than enough motivation to explore the hell out of the map. For what it was, a massive theme park trial balloon, it was awesome. No other console game had anywhere close to the depth that fallout 3 had. It was unprecedented to make a game like that. New Vegas improved upon this substantially in 2010, tying everything together a lot better, and addressing a lot of the biggest criticisms of 3 (lame main story, drab lighting, little connection between communities), and it was one of the best games ever made. I don't get how people can not be hyped for the new one, especially when they're bitching about old rear end games that were revolutionary in their day by comparing them to a game that came out a few months ago. If you want to compare it to Skyrim, cool, but keep in mind that Skyrim was universally applauded and I don't know if there's a game out yet that matches it in sheer amount of poo poo to do. Hell, I hate the knights and elves and not-middle earth theme when it comes to anything, and I still put over a hundred hours into that game. If Fallout 4 is not an incredible, revolutionary game, it will be the exception to the rule. I'm sure goons will find plenty to bitch about, but they'll have to grasp at straws a hell of a lot harder than they will for any other game on the market.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Volkerball posted:

Fallout 3's main story was boring and I don't even remember it, but there were a ton of fun side quests and more than enough motivation to explore the hell out of the map. For what it was, a massive theme park trial balloon, it was awesome. No other console game had anywhere close to the depth that fallout 3 had. It was unprecedented to make a game like that. New Vegas improved upon this substantially in 2010, tying everything together a lot better, and addressing a lot of the biggest criticisms of 3 (lame main story, drab lighting, little connection between communities), and it was one of the best games ever made. I don't get how people can not be hyped for the new one, especially when they're bitching about old rear end games that were revolutionary in their day by comparing them to a game that came out a few months ago. If you want to compare it to Skyrim, cool, but keep in mind that Skyrim was universally applauded and I don't know if there's a game out yet that matches it in sheer amount of poo poo to do. Hell, I hate the knights and elves and not-middle earth theme when it comes to anything, and I still put over a hundred hours into that game. If Fallout 4 is not an incredible, revolutionary game, it will be the exception to the rule. I'm sure goons will find plenty to bitch about, but they'll have to grasp at straws a hell of a lot harder than they will for any other game on the market.
What I'm getting out of this is that you expect Fallout 4 to be little more than an incredible theme park, which is cool. I think that's cool too. I like theme parks where you can shoot clay people.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Volkerball posted:

The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 sets the gold standard in all sandbox RPGs, really and I say that as someone who didn't like the first two Witcher games at all. Not only is there about as much to do in Skyrim, the quests feel more lovingly crafted too and not just "collect 10 bear anuses" or "find the magic dildo in some dungeon that's never been visited and looted about a yard apart from another dungeon which has somehow never been visited and looted".

I don't expect Fallout 4 to be better than The Witcher 3 or even better than New Vegas but I do expect a decent, fun game that has a lot of modding potential and I'm okay with that. I don't really give a poo poo about how every Fallout game sucks because of stupid asinine reasons by spergy idiots who complain that video game elements in a video game ruins ~their immersion~.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What I'm getting out of this is that you expect Fallout 4 to be little more than an incredible theme park, which is cool. I think that's cool too. I like theme parks where you can shoot clay people.

Nah, I'm expecting it to be better than the last game they made, which has always been the case. It's also been several years since they released a real game, so there will be a lot of new and awesome things they're going to present. It definitely will be an incredible theme park, but there will also be a lot of progress in tying the game together while also making it more open ended imo. The only thing I'm worried about is what they're doing with online gameplay. I wouldn't mind something in the vein of what Far Cry 4 did at all, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about an mmo.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 sets the gold standard in all sandbox RPGs, really and I say that as someone who didn't like the first two Witcher games at all. Not only is there about as much to do in Skyrim, the quests feel more lovingly crafted too and not just "collect 10 bear anuses" or "find the magic dildo in some dungeon that's never been visited and looted about a yard apart from another dungeon which has somehow never been visited and looted".

I don't expect Fallout 4 to be better than The Witcher 3 or even better than New Vegas but I do expect a decent, fun game that has a lot of modding potential and I'm okay with that. I don't really give a poo poo about how every Fallout game sucks because of stupid asinine reasons by spergy idiots who complain that video game elements in a video game ruins ~their immersion~.

Ok, but Skyrim came out in 2011 and Witcher 3 came out not even a month ago. I feel bad for the people who made it. It sounds like it's a good game, and it's gonna sit on the throne for so little time. :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There's at least one person playing Fallout 3 leading up to the conference. Unfortunately for him, it keeps crashing.

That is the joke, and also the truth.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Those things are being critiqued because they are questions every other Fallout game has done something to explain or show signs of improvement in, while Fallout 3 just doesn't bother to.

If you think it's a literal complaint like "if we don't see farms, the game is ruined forever", you really miss the point. It's about poking the gaming world with a stick, a thing Bethesda is being praised for creating every time, and seeing what holds up. And generally, Fallout 3 does fall short in these areas, where a narrative outside of the one stated directly at the player falls short in this one game.

To contrast, Oblivion and Skyrim both had farms, while Morrowind did not. The reason why it isn't a problem for Morrowind to lack farms (unless there's a mushroom farming facility I missed) is because the story of the game isn't about food shortage.

:spergin: Actually Morrowind had tons of plantations in the southern part of the map to illustrate Morrowind's slavery problem.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah Morrowind had a bunch of farms and plantations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Ok, but Skyrim came out in 2011 and Witcher 3 came out not even a month ago. I feel bad for the people who made it. It sounds like it's a good game, and it's gonna sit on the throne for so little time. :(

define 'throne'

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lt. Danger posted:

I think that Shandification video would have been much better if the guy had used Chief Hanlon as an example. He's got his own little story of being a ranger and what that means to him, he's got some exposition for Caesar and the Legion, he's been affected terribly by the Mojave campaign and you can resolve his quest in a different way if you're at a certain point in the main quest, or if you've done another optional thing. He's not a part of the critical path but he can be a significant part of the Courier's story anyway, which is what all that "shandification" talk was actually supposed to be about.

Volkerball posted:

If you want to compare it to Skyrim, cool, but keep in mind that Skyrim was universally applauded and I don't know if there's a game out yet that matches it in sheer amount of poo poo to do.

Quantity is not quality!

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Fallout 3 was pretty mediocre compared to the other fallouts but I am glad that Beth went their own way and created a new story on the East coast.I think Fallout 4 will be great if they keep the references to the old games at a minimum, although it would be cool to hear vague reports about a certain expansionist republic.....

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Bholder posted:

youre dumb

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The lack of explanation of food isn't a flaw in and of itself, but it is indicative of how Bethesda's writers are complete poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

If that is how you feel, that's fine, but then you are not cut out for creating open world games, because for a lot of people, poking the scenery is what is important.

I dunno, I'm generally in agreement with how Bethesda does it, and the way they do it makes their open world games critically and commercially successful. The audience knows it's just a game and that those details aren't really important.

Ropekid said that they didn't have enough time to flesh out Ceasar more in New Vegas. Imagine what could've been had Obsidian not dicked around with that farming area and its subplots.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, I'm generally in agreement with how Bethesda does it, and the way they do it makes their open world games critically and commercially successful. The audience knows it's just a game and that those details aren't really important.
It's not important when there's awkward sex mods on the horizon and people to kill

quote:

Ropekid said that they didn't have enough time to flesh out Ceasar more in New Vegas. Imagine what could've been had Obsidian not dicked around with that farming area and its subplots.
That didn't actually take more than two weeks of development time and high-value concepts like moral nuance require more time than that to flesh out.

I'm not sure you recognize half the words in that sentence though

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, I'm generally in agreement with how Bethesda does it, and the way they do it makes their open world games critically and commercially successful.

Neither of those say anything about the game's actual quality. The former because games journalists are incapable of seeing any deeper than the surface level of anything, the latter because something being commerically successful doesn't mean it's actually good or creative (see: most comedians).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

It's just kind of funny to talk about critical success when we're talking about two games that had backwards review scores.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

ToxicAcne posted:

I think Fallout 4 will be great if they keep the references to the old games at a minimum

Truth. Why did they have to hamfistedly move Harold all the way across the country to turn him into a loving tree? That was a real lovely way to handle one of the best NPCs of the series.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I just made the mistake of explaining Little Lamplight (or "The Problem of Little Lamplight", as I presented it) to my friends and loved ones and blood began to shoot from their ears and eyes and now I'm all alone, just like the prisoner washing up on the shores of Morrowind.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just made the mistake of explaining Little Lamplight (or "The Problem of Little Lamplight", as I presented it) to my friends and loved ones and blood began to shoot from their ears and eyes and now I'm all alone, just like the prisoner washing up on the shores of Morrowind.
Jiub's a good buddy. :unsmith:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You were dreaming. What's your name?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I've been looking through the reviews of Fallout 3, and it's funny how reviewers will say poo poo like "Fallout 3's enemies are retarded and will do nothing but run at you, but the combat is deep and fulfilling" or "Fallout 3's graphics may look dated by 5 years, but it's a beautiful game". It's like they're deathly afraid of saying something directly mean about the sacred Bethesda cow, so they gotta cover it up with passive-aggressive language.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Neither of those say anything about the game's actual quality.

Being both commercially and critically successful says a whole bunch about a game's quality, actually. 3 didn't take any significant hit because "where do they get their food" wasn't answered.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's just kind of funny to talk about critical success when we're talking about two games that had backwards review scores.

Backwards review scores? What do you mean? Both 3 and NV got perfectly reasonable scores. Maybe NV got dinged a bit since it had to follow 3, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Being both commercially and critically successful says a whole bunch about a game's quality, actually.

I guess Clash of Clans is the best game ever then.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Andrast posted:

I guess Candy Crush is the best game ever then.

...kind of apt, because the amount of cognitive ability needed to play it is right on MisterBibs' level

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Personally I think It's a loving shame that Fallout 3 was extremely successful and Bethesda has control of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Flaky posted:

I actually agree with you here, there should be very few plant species surviving at all anywhere in the Fallout universe. With the honourable exception of cave-fungus of course (assuming you count it as a plant). I would dearly have loved a mod that covered the DC metro's dankest corners in fungi of various types. Would have been a neat tie-in with TES games too...

I just see 'critics' making the same dumbass observations about things they don't like again and again and proposing totally moronic solutions. I mean, criticise the games all you want, that's fine, we should all try to hold games to a high standard, and people clearly like the games and want to see them improve over time. But ultimately, if the criticism of the game is poorly reasoned, then that is going to be reflected by the mods put out by modders and by the developers in the next game who are going to presumably try to improve certain aspects of the game based on those criticisms. You want those criticisms to be well founded. I was merely being hyperbolic because it really is just a terribly thought through critique and really misses what the whole game and even series is about at a fundamental theoretical level. Like why are you even playing this game if all you want to do is farm or whatever?

I don't think anyone is saying they want to farm. I think they're highlighting the difference between Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout 3 had quests about people obsessed with Nuka Cola history and towns made up entirely of little children and the Republic of Dave. Fallout: New Vegas had quests about securing a food supply and rival political factions and discovering energy sources. It becomes simplified into "New Vegas has farms and quarries."

Your statement about New Vegas turning into the Sims because of crafting is frankly bizarre; I've played through Vegas 3-4 times and never paid serious attention to the crafting system. And New Vegas doesn't ever come close to letting you play farmer. There are quests that feature agriculture as a theme, but you as the player are tasked with descending into monster-infested vaults to retrieve samples. Not really the Sims. So your critique of the critique is nonsensical.

Also it appears to be based on misunderstanding several aspects of the Fallout setting. There is no technology that allows you to magically create food in the game. Post scarcity technology and utopias in a box were not developed in the 50's. The GECK isn't utopia in a box; its an agricultural starter kit with seeds, soil, and fertilizer samples and blueprints. This is far more interesting than a magic box because it reflects how far society has fallen, in that it turns agricultural starter kits into the object of cargo cult veneration. In Fallout 3, its more of a miracle device, but this is reason 1,247 why the writing in Fallout 3 is relatively poor and fails to understand the setting its working with.

So an impassioned critique(based upon a fundamental misunderstanding of the series) of a critique for misunderstanding the basic premise of the series is kind of ridiculous.

• Locked thread