Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Thaumcraft has the infernal furnace, which doesn't use fuel and gives you a minor boost to production. Railcraft has the steam oven, which cooks 9 stacks at once IIRC, plus there's whatever Mekanism's furnace is called. I ended up mostly using the Botania exoflame. It makes all furnaces in a small area (~5 blocks) use mana instead of fuel, and cook faster. It's probably the most convenient for automation because you can just put it on the other side of a wall and never worry about fuel again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wolfsbane posted:

Thaumcraft has the infernal furnace, which doesn't use fuel and gives you a minor boost to production. Railcraft has the steam oven, which cooks 9 stacks at once IIRC, plus there's whatever Mekanism's furnace is called. I ended up mostly using the Botania exoflame. It makes all furnaces in a small area (~5 blocks) use mana instead of fuel, and cook faster. It's probably the most convenient for automation because you can just put it on the other side of a wall and never worry about fuel again.

Man Botania's a cool mod, I totally forgot about Exoflames. Thanks again!

Wish there was a way to automate composting at the point I'm at in Regrowth, though. Can't do golems yet, and I have zero interest in Buildcraft. I figure a hopperhock would work, if I could find a way to automatically break the wheat field when it fully grows.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I used a semi-manual system with fir trees. They drop about half a stack of saplings each, and it only takes 4 saplings to regrow them. Use a lumber axe with auto-smelt to turn one into a couple of stacks of charcoal.

I also tried a cactus farm and a hopperhock, but that was amazingly slow. I never found anything but thaumcraft golems that could successfully harvest crops (buildcraft robots don't work, to save you wasting a shitton of resources).

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There's a new player in town talking the cubic chunks game

I have no idea how well it works, but it's not on Curse and boasts using a different mod loader so here's hoping it causes some changes in the modding community

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
lol... i used RFTools to generate a single-biome dimension made entirely out of redstone blocks and I couldn't keep up with the power cost (30k/t and I only have one reactor atm) so it killed me immediately and then crashed my game when i respawned in the overworld

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
All I need to do is be able to get in there, set up a frame quarry, and have infinite redstone that won't go away on me when the dimension runs out of power

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Blind Duke posted:

There's a new player in town talking the cubic chunks game

I have no idea how well it works, but it's not on Curse and boasts using a different mod loader so here's hoping it causes some changes in the modding community

It's not easily forge intercompatible, it's dead (or will be).

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from the moon with galacticraft and I can't jump anymore. Help?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Reason posted:

"I just got back from the moon and boy are my legs broken!" :v:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

THE PENETRATOR posted:

lol... i used RFTools to generate a single-biome dimension made entirely out of redstone blocks and I couldn't keep up with the power cost (30k/t and I only have one reactor atm) so it killed me immediately and then crashed my game when i respawned in the overworld

Thermal Expansion has Flux-based generators that could probably handle what you're doing, if not just make a bigger generator.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
What's the easiest way with just AE2 to constantly craft certain items?

edit: figured it out :)

Gah, it's not working consistently. About to just hook up a bank of cyclic assemblers :( Right now I've got an export bus with the crafting card/etc all hooked up and it's not crafting my essence of diamond into diamonds.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 15, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Thermal Expansion has Flux-based generators that could probably handle what you're doing, if not just make a bigger generator.

What? Since when?!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm now at the point in Regrowth where I'm stopped unless I start Witchery. I've got Rowan already from quest rewards, but I need to get Alder etc. Is there any way to do this besides Mutandis and lots of prayer? I've gone through a stack of the stuff (so four stacks of wood ash :suicide:) and gotten nothing new because of the ExtraBiomesXL crap flowers I keep getting instead.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Cheat em in by this point if you want, though I do recall some related quest providing all witchery trees.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I concur with the cheating, but if you're dead set on not doing so I believe Ents will drop random saplings on death so just make a Rowan forest and clearcut it a time or two.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Edminster posted:

I concur with the cheating, but if you're dead set on not doing so I believe Ents will drop random saplings on death so just make a Rowan forest and clearcut it a time or two.

Believe me I'm not. RNG in this game is basically Satan in my opinion, so I have no objection to working around it after at least giving it the old college try.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeaaaaah, people have complained repeatedly about the mutandis result table being far too large to get all the stuff you need from it and the author has basically ignored it. Cheat them in once you've burned a stack or two.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Falcon2001 posted:

i'm thinking about building a huge thermal setup with magmatic dynamos and all 3 power upgrades in each... just need a tesseract so i can power my ender pump in the nether constantly
then just bigreactors for normal base power

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i'm thinking about building a huge thermal setup with magmatic dynamos and all 3 power upgrades in each... just need a tesseract so i can power my ender pump in the nether constantly
then just bigreactors for normal base power

Uhh, just put a magmatic dynamo ON the ender pump.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

lolmer posted:

FYI, you server owners might want to ban hellowrold (and any of his/her associates) before they do this to your server as well.

Add the username Bearon to the list, just had a minor incident on the OMP-i server too

Ellieanna
Jul 16, 2014

lolmer posted:

FYI, you server owners might want to ban hellowrold (and any of his/her associates) before they do this to your server as well.

By the way, in the pictures, you'll see Bearon as well, he's part of the team of griefers. Watched him destroy an reactor and then destroy part of another house and spawn on the server.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

bigperm posted:

Uhh, just put a magmatic dynamo ON the ender pump.

my god...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ambaire posted:

They don't afaik. I'm guessing the guy used a creative builder wand to surround it with obsidian tnt. Or a wand foci of equal trade and replaced the reactor walls...

If you have the turbines over speed for too long they explode.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I thought the "turbines explode if they're too fast for too long" stuff wasn't implemented yet?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Reason posted:

Muscle atrohpy. Get on the treadmill.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Never did much with enchantments and I really dont want this stupid smelting enchant on my pick from iguana tweaks. Googling tells me the auto disenchanter will remove (randomly?) enchantments from stuff, but sticking a redstone power cell next to it doesn't seem to be transfering power so I can tell if it works. Any ideas?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Synnr posted:

Never did much with enchantments and I really dont want this stupid smelting enchant on my pick from iguana tweaks. Googling tells me the auto disenchanter will remove (randomly?) enchantments from stuff, but sticking a redstone power cell next to it doesn't seem to be transfering power so I can tell if it works. Any ideas?

Tinkers construct tools are technically not enchanted, and are unenchantable. It's weird that autosmelting got randomly put on your tool- I thought that was disabled by default.

Anyway you're going to have to make a new one. There are commands for forcing a levelup on your tool, so just cheat in a new copy and level it up to the level of your old one.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

McFrugal posted:

It's weird that autosmelting got randomly put on your tool- I thought that was disabled by default.

Iguana Tweaks includes random enhancements to your Tinkers tools/weapons. It's on by default, you can go into the configs to disable it, or to disable specific modifications (like Bane of Arthropods).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

taiyoko posted:

Iguana Tweaks includes random enhancements to your Tinkers tools/weapons. It's on by default, you can go into the configs to disable it, or to disable specific modifications (like Bane of Arthropods).

Yeah I mean I thought the autosmelting mod was disabled in the list of random levelup mods by default.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Apparently this just got updated for 1.7.10. It looks pretty neat -- has anyone used it before? Thoughts?

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224613-engineers-toolbox

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Goncyn posted:

Apparently this just got updated for 1.7.10. It looks pretty neat -- has anyone used it before? Thoughts?

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/224613-engineers-toolbox

Oh, that was one of the neater tech mods in 1.6.4. Still had a lot of kinks to work out, but let you build some rather interesting systems.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I'm setting up a 1.7.10 server with mods for some people and ran into a small problem this morning before I headed off to work. I understand Treecapitator has Thaumcraft compatibility, but when I tried running the two together, the server crashed. Getting rid of Treecapitator and the "bspkrscore" that I got for the mod fixed it. Do these two mods not play nicely anymore? It looked like Thaumcraft's installation unpacks a version of the bspkrscore, too, so that may be a cause. Thanks in advance.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

John Quixote posted:

I'm setting up a 1.7.10 server with mods for some people and ran into a small problem this morning before I headed off to work. I understand Treecapitator has Thaumcraft compatibility, but when I tried running the two together, the server crashed. Getting rid of Treecapitator and the "bspkrscore" that I got for the mod fixed it. Do these two mods not play nicely anymore? It looked like Thaumcraft's installation unpacks a version of the bspkrscore, too, so that may be a cause. Thanks in advance.

Tinkers construct lumber axes are the new treecaptor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SugarAddict posted:

Don't you mean veinminer

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

SugarAddict posted:

Guess I'm adding Tinker's Construct then, too. drat, Treecapitator's function is a must-have for me in Minecraft but I won't mind having to work for it a little bit.

When setting up a server with Forge you can keep the mods server-side, right? As in, anyone using the server wouldn't have to download the mods themselves, they just need to access the server with a same-version client with Forge installed? Sorry for such a dumb question.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
tinker's construct is a good mod to add for quality of life but again veinminer when properly configured does what treecapacitor used to. Plus using fast leaf decay with it is also good, instead of busting leaf blocks one at a time, veinminer the trunk down and then the leaves just disappear by themselves.

Baby's first space race has some great tutorials on how to tinkers construct, even though I've been using it since 1.5 I learned some things. For instance, you can use the smeltery to combine water and lava to make obsidian before even getting a single diamond, skip the normal lovely boring way of getting it entirely even in a pack without tech blocks.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

tinker's construct is a good mod to add for quality of life but again veinminer when properly configured does what treecapacitor used to. Plus using fast leaf decay with it is also good, instead of busting leaf blocks one at a time, veinminer the trunk down and then the leaves just disappear by themselves.

Baby's first space race has some great tutorials on how to tinkers construct, even though I've been using it since 1.5 I learned some things. For instance, you can use the smeltery to combine water and lava to make obsidian before even getting a single diamond, skip the normal lovely boring way of getting it entirely even in a pack without tech blocks.

Using the Vat from Mariculture is an even better way to make Obsidian from Water + Lava and can be done much earlier game than a Smeltery and with less headaches. :) It's also easier to get the Obsidian out of the Vat.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

John Quixote posted:

When setting up a server with Forge you can keep the mods server-side, right? As in, anyone using the server wouldn't have to download the mods themselves, they just need to access the server with a same-version client with Forge installed? Sorry for such a dumb question.

No, the client will also need the mods. Not all of them; some mods are optional on either side, but for the most part they have to share mods. A good rule of thumb is that if it adds items and blocks, it needs to be on both sides. If it only works on the client (like a minimap), then it doesn't need to be on the server.

Bukkit plugins work the way you describe, though. That might be what you're thinking of.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Fortis posted:

No, the client will also need the mods. Not all of them; some mods are optional on either side, but for the most part they have to share mods. A good rule of thumb is that if it adds items and blocks, it needs to be on both sides. If it only works on the client (like a minimap), then it doesn't need to be on the server.

Bukkit plugins work the way you describe, though. That might be what you're thinking of.

Thanks. I must have been thinking of Bukkit plugins. This isn't a problem; I'll just have to throw everything into a .zip and distribute it to the players.

I'm now debating adding VeinMiner as well, but I really just want that function for treecapitator. Is it a pretty common QOL addition? Personally I don't mind having to mine out hard ore piece by piece, but the vanilla floating trees frustrate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Put veinminer in, it is probably my #1 most needed mod and is really hard to come back from when you don't have it