Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Entropic posted:

Sometime in the next 15 years there will be a Netflix / hbo / whatever Star Trek series set in the JJAbramsverse and it will be awful.

This has been my greatest fear since the first of the new Star Trek movies. It keeps me up at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

That Turkey Story posted:

This has been my greatest fear since the first of the new Star Trek movies. It keeps me up at night.

I've been having this weird pseudo-nightmare that Canal+ buys the rights to TNG and end up doing a full reboot. It's terrifying but compelling, like nuclear war.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I've been having this weird pseudo-nightmare that Canal+ buys the rights to TNG and end up doing a full reboot. It's terrifying but compelling, like nuclear war.

Why them in particular? A last-ditch effort to make Jean-Luc actually speak French?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mr. Horrible posted:

Why them in particular? A last-ditch effort to make Jean-Luc actually speak French?

no i just imagine it being a bbc/canal+ coproduction and the storylines are indescribably awesome, but they have a budget of like $5000 an episode so the scripts probably would have been better if they'd just been released for youtubers to adapt

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lol if you think people in france are even gonna speak french in the 24th century

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Didn't Data refer to it as a dead language causing Picard to act all huffy?edit yup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods
L

Yaos posted:

Now that I think of it, how does DS9 stay next to the wormhole but always the same distance from Bajor? Is the wormhole orbiting the star?

Star would orbit the wormhole?

I couldn't watch any of Enterprise because of the drat singing in the intro music. It's bad. Got up and walked out of the room after the credits. Missed boobs and a good 4th season?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Voted Alligator posted:

L

I couldn't watch any of Enterprise because of the drat singing in the intro music. It's bad. Got up and walked out of the room after the credits. Missed boobs and a good 4th season?

You need faith of the heart

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You need faith of the heart

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Voted Alligator posted:

L

lol wtf its half a minute of music you don't like.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Random Starfleet dudes should not be able to beat up Klingons. Klingons constantly train to fight from childhood on. Half of their entire friggin' culture is based on fighting.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I like the Enterprise opening. The montage of humanity's transition from bumbling around with gliders to FTL starships is aspirational and hopeful, just like the cheesy power ballad playing in the background.

I guess if you're too cynical and jaded to appreciate that then you're going to get what you deserve want soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeX5drV9ms

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

the visuals were fine, especially the bit where that flyer goes over what i presume is a lunar base, but the music is... not trek.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I finished watching all of TOS and started the animated series from the 70s. To be honest it feels like the original series, just the episodes are 15 min shorter. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, it seems Chekov didn't make the cut when they brought the cast back to do the voices.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Mr. Horrible posted:

I like the Enterprise opening. The montage of humanity's transition from bumbling around with gliders to FTL starships is aspirational and hopeful, just like the cheesy power ballad playing in the background.

I guess if you're too cynical and jaded to appreciate that then you're going to get what you deserve want soon:

the gently caress is that video

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I finished watching all of TOS and started the animated series from the 70s. To be honest it feels like the original series, just the episodes are 15 min shorter. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, it seems Chekov didn't make the cut when they brought the cast back to do the voices.

They just had Scotty do most of the voice work for random guys on that show, and they were going to have him do Sulu too

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Voted Alligator posted:

Nope, it doesn't have any gravity. DS9 writers hosed up.

The Dennis System posted:

Random Starfleet dudes should not be able to beat up Klingons. Klingons constantly train to fight from childhood on. Half of their entire friggin' culture is based on fighting.
Klingons shouldn't be able to get into hand to hand combat. Even in urban combat hand to hand combat almost never happens and engagements take place at an average range of 50 yards. I think this guy said it best in a mere 7500 words. http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Ground/Guns-ST.html

Yaos fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 14, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Lord of Pie posted:

They just had Scotty do most of the voice work for random guys on that show, and they were going to have him do Sulu too

I can sort of hear it, but Chekov isn't in it. He's replaces by Mr. Grildo or something like that who has 4 arms.

The show also has some of the worst animation I've ever seen and it's kinda great.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Yaos posted:

Klingons shouldn't be able to get into hand to hand combat. Even in urban combat hand to hand combat almost never happens and engagements take place at an average range of 50 yards. I think this guy said it best in a mere 7500 words. http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Ground/Guns-ST.html

Counterpoint: Klingons are dumb as poo poo and would definitely forego a tactical advantage if it meant they got to swing around their space katanas more often.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Currently watching the TAS episode called The Jihad. There was an earlier one with Harry Mudd that literally dealt with j/o crystals.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's fun to realize that TAS is really no more ridiculous than TOS.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Naomi Wildman was the OG Princess Shireen.

...in the sense that I wish someone would burn her alive.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
klingons smash their skulls together for fun im sure theyd find a way to get into hand to hand combat

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Mr. Horrible posted:

Counterpoint: Klingons are dumb as poo poo and would definitely forego a tactical advantage if it meant they got to swing around their space katanas more often.

The Klingons should all be hit before they got near Federation positions. If the Federation knew what they were doing they would have multiple fallback positions so they can keep firing on the idiot Klingons that are running at them with their double swords. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banzai_charge

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 14, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yea i definitely trust a red shirt that is most likely to die from an exploding console to be able to pick off a klingon from 50 yards off without making GBS threads his skant

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

yea i definitely trust a red shirt that is most likely to die from an exploding console to be able to pick off a klingon from 50 yards off without making GBS threads his skant

Starfleet is incompetent and I have no idea how the Federation managed to last so long.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yaos posted:

Starfleet is incompetent and I have no idea how the Federation managed to last so long.

Section 31 is amazingly good at what they do.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
how many times has the federation had to alter timelines to not be wiped out

starfleet bad so what

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mr. Horrible posted:

Like when they were attacking DS9 and beamed into the operations center with melee weapons and were literally instantly picked off by dudes with phasers

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Horrible posted:

Beyond this place of wrath and tears and highschooler fan fiction...

An excuse to have Chekov say his second most iconic line*...

That's how we like it.:smug:

Yaos posted:

Guns are without honor.

*The most iconic is "nuclear wessels**"

**no, really, go ask an Old.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yaos posted:

Everyone else is incompetent, too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

*The most iconic is "nuclear wessels**"

**no, really, go ask an Old.

Am old, can confirm.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Angela Christine posted:

Am old, can confirm.

lol gross

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Horrible posted:

Everytime someone suggests updating their tactics he gets called dishonorable and Abner Louima'd with a pain stick.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Klingon Sun Tzu says attack your enemies head on, in force, loudly announcing your coming.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

Klingon Sun Tzu says attack your enemies head on, in force, loudly announcing your coming.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

Everytime someone suggests updating their tactics he gets called dishonorable and Abner Louima'd with a pain stick.

Yup, pretty much. Sure the Federation is dumb, but the Klingons are turbo-dumb. In reality they would have obliterated themselves some way or the other long before the Praxis incident.

(What's sad is I just watched the Voyager ep about it and I still had to look up the moon's name. :doh:)

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

every post Yaos makes is complaining about how star trek isn't factually correct etc. etc. its really strange i don't know what he or she thinks mainstream tv sci-fi should be like nor do i really want to understand.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Yaos posted:

it doesn't last so long because its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real, its not real!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mr. Horrible posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo?

• Locked thread