Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ah poo poo. I tried and failed to hotwire a motorcycle. Set off the alarm. Is that the best way of accessing vehicles? What else am I supposed to do? I'm assuming ripping out the security system does the same thing?

Also do those alarm robots ever go away? I'm afraid to go near there with all the sirens now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can also 'B'utcher them instead of smashing, but it takes more time and their tainted meat is pretty useless unless you're starving to death.

Always, always, always butcher shockers. Consider butchering fatties and doggies - tallow is not unhandy, and at higher survival doggies give hides sometimes.

Shockers, of course, give CBMs. :getin:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Tried this game out for the first time today, started as a mall cop. Sprint by luck to the parking lot where I'm surrounded by 30 zombies. Hop into the nearest (what I think is) a big-rig. Open help, look for button to drive car. It starts up. ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg. Commence me rampaging my way through the parking lot, killing more zombies than I have in all my runs since. Finally it broke down from a fuel leak sustained during the rampage and I got eaten by star crabs.

A good game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So I decide to start a new game in a burning pawn shop, I spawn directly next to some decent clothing and the shop is full of swords, I manage to grab a katana and get out before catching fire. Blunder through town a bit avoiding zombies, somehow end up in a mil surplus store containing a bunch of bottled water, medkits and books, some more gear and a rucksack and duffel bag.

If I manage to gently caress this one up I'm going to be sad.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You can ALWAYS gently caress things up. Always.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Why is my pistol skill not going up with my M1911?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Get a more accurate pistol to train with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Get a more accurate pistol to train with.

AKA a laser pistol. Apart from that there's not much that can train above 3.
Pistols suck.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I hope the Mall I'm just started trying to slowly clear out has some good stuff. I'm doing it during Winter of year 1 so there's already Necromancers and Hulks and Masters running about and that sucks horribly.

Hopefully I find a Saiga 12 or a Mossberg. I wonder what other interesting things I can find in Malls? Hopefully it is worth the effort.

In other news I did manage to find a Fusion Arm Cannon CBM. Instead of mounting it on my arm and losing my Nodachi I'm going to go and try and mount it on an RV. :getin:

Edit: With my loving Nodachi I can go toe to toe against a Hulk (in an open area) and be ok. Awwwwww yus.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

nftyw posted:

You can ALWAYS gently caress things up. Always.

Seriously, anytime I spawn in a shelter with an extremely well stocked basement I know the character isn't going to make it a day.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress the Nodachi doesn't have any defensive perks like the Steel Spear's Parry and the Katana's Block.

poo poo. Maybe I should make a Katana and use that instead. I remember my Steel Spear's blocking ability with a great deal of fondness.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

So I decide to start a new game in a burning pawn shop, I spawn directly next to some decent clothing and the shop is full of swords, I manage to grab a katana and get out before catching fire. Blunder through town a bit avoiding zombies, somehow end up in a mil surplus store containing a bunch of bottled water, medkits and books, some more gear and a rucksack and duffel bag.

If I manage to gently caress this one up I'm going to be sad.

I predict you're going to get cornered while looting or chased down by wolves or zombie dogs and die before you're able to shed enough encumbrance to melee effectively.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Artificer posted:

Oh gently caress the Nodachi doesn't have any defensive perks like the Steel Spear's Parry and the Katana's Block.

poo poo. Maybe I should make a Katana and use that instead. I remember my Steel Spear's blocking ability with a great deal of fondness.

If you can find a Historic Weaponsmithing book you can craft a Zweihander which is only slightly weaker than the nodachi, but swings faster and comes with parry.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Artificer posted:

Ah poo poo. I tried and failed to hotwire a motorcycle. Set off the alarm. Is that the best way of accessing vehicles? What else am I supposed to do? I'm assuming ripping out the security system does the same thing?

Ripping out the security bypasses the alarm but takes quite a bit of mechanics skill to do. Most vehicles spawn with their security systems busted, making them free for the taking.

Artificer posted:

Also do those alarm robots ever go away? I'm afraid to go near there with all the sirens now.

If there's any zombies around, they'll probably be drawn by the alarm and end up chasing the eyebot until their clumsy flailing manages to bring it down. Otherwise, they're likely to loiter in the area indefinitely.

e: Is there a good source of sand in the game? I want to build a concrete doom-bunker but if I have to rely on hardware stores I'll have to loot dozens of cities just to build a tiny shack.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 14, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mzbundifund posted:

If you can find a Historic Weaponsmithing book you can craft a Zweihander which is only slightly weaker than the nodachi, but swings faster and comes with parry.

Also you can light it on fire, if you're into that sort of thing.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also you can light it on fire, if you're into that sort of thing.

:darksouls:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

poo poo. Is there only one gun store in the mall?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's set in New England, not Texas.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's set in New England, not Texas.

drat. It had the same shotgun that I already had. gently caress. How useless. What other stores are there in the mall? Because if there isn't anything else interesting I'm just gonna leave and go build a car or something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why aren't you driving around inside the mall already?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

drat. It had the same shotgun that I already had. gently caress. How useless. What other stores are there in the mall? Because if there isn't anything else interesting I'm just gonna leave and go build a car or something.

Basically smaller less well stocked versions of most of the stores you'd find in a town, from what I remember. You'll probably find more useful stuff on the zombies you kill than in any of the stores. It's more a fun thing to do than anything else.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Malls are generally more for raw materials than anything directly useful. If you start in one and can manage the zombies (Read: are an unholy fusion of Bruce Lee and Sonic the Hedgehog), you can get a good set of clothes, medical supplies, and food out of it, but for anyone coming in from the outside, there's a chance you'll find a book you don't have in the bookstore or a tool/gun you don't have in the hardware store, but mostly it's just "Look at all these racks! Pipes for days! Half a dozen washer/dryers? I can finally make my Flying Spaghetti Monster out of rubber hoses! FIVE GALLONS OF VINEGAR! :science:"

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
So, medical mutations. Do you guys picture medical mutants as looking like Deadpool or like the Toxic Avenger? Also, is there any way to learn the kung-fu martial arts outside of chargen?

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I picture them as weirdly perfect and healthy like a ken doll, but totally hairless and pale. I like to imagine all sorts of weird optimizations have been made to their body with remaining "human" being a low priority.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Also, is there any way to learn the kung-fu martial arts outside of chargen?

I've only ever found those books in the office area of a dojo. I've read you could find them in a mansion's library, but I personally have never come across any in the few I've scrounged through.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So in order to assuage my guilt of wanting to make a god-character, I decided to take on the Really Bad Day starting scenario. 12 all stats except Perception (which is 10). Night Vision, Pain Resistant, Shaolin Adept, Quick, Fast Learner. Ugly, Forgetful, Weak Stomach, Heavy Sleeper, Poor Hearing. Skill rust and NPCs are off due to being bullshit and causing crashes, respectively, so I'm being kinda bullshit. Starting skills in Dodging and Unarmed, Shower Victim profession.

Had a few false starts while I figured out what actual priorities were (clothing is not hugely urgent, as weird as that might seem, loving give up if you see a Shocker Zombie because he's faster than you and you can't attack him unarmed), I got away enough to start breaking into some houses and getting my feet under me. Guzzled some non-drowsy cough syrup, aspirin, and vitamins from the bathrooms I found. Tiger Kung Fu is broken as gently caress. At one point I got surrounded by a wide assortment of common zombies - fat, child, screamer, tough, etc - and I just dropped them all as they flowed in. One of the 15 dudes I dropped in that rampage had a package of antibiotics on him, so that took care of my infection. I took a couple of big bites, but I broke into a pharmacy and grabbed some first aid kits to fix that.

Spent much of the late afternoon of my first day just crafting. Fast Learner makes a big difference. I just hung out in a house, reducing poo poo to components so I could slice through the first few levels of fabrication and tailoring I needed. Started to get tired, so I grabbed a car and started driving back to an evac center I spotted just out of town. Figured it'd be a good time to tag a few zombies, then got caught up in a crossfire by some loving SMG turrets that were going nuts on some nearby deadheads. The car was already in pretty bad shape, and when I lost control in front of a wrecked RV I knew it was time to bail. Fortunately I was only going 15 at the time, so it was no big deal to tuck and roll. SMG turrets are loving blasting all sorts of dead-heads, and a passing mi-go. I take off at a dead loving run and get away in the confusion, then hike back to the evac center. The flu and my residual pain from recovering from the infection keep waking me up, but I eventually get through the night. I see it's storming out but shrug, it's time to get a proper start now that the first day's over and my stats are something resembling normal.

I open the door to a loving moose not 3 squares from me. He immediately charges and I think I'm dead as gently caress, but I just start up with the kung-fu. Well, turns out I'd hit unarmed 4 without noticing, so I grab and drag the moose to the loving ground, then get all Tiger Rage on him and demolish his rear end without taking a scratch beyond his first charge. I proudly butcher him with a stone knife and take part of his carcass with me as my trophy.

Now if I could just find a goddamn hotplate to cook it on.

Also, apparently chomping vitamins makes the flu clear up quicker, because by 10 am on day 2 it had cleared up completely and I was at full power, pain/wet penalties aside.

Unarmed Combat is now at 5 and melee is now at 4. I'm basically already Jackie Chan. Is there any way to insulate my fists from shocker zombies, or is that a CBM only thing?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 15, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe wearing rubber gloves would work? I also found a swimming book with a crafting recipe for a faraday shark suit, which grants invulnerability to electricity, but it requires an uncraftable shark suit to craft, which I've never seen before. Maybe a rare find in sporting goods stores?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I was stupid an poked around a waste sarcofigi. Apparently I need an access code to get in. Just as well, while walking back to my van I suddenly realized my stats were reduced, yet nothing was listed as being wrong in the @ menu. With a rather :doh: feeling of dread I fired up my radiation biomonitor; 147 Rads! I guess I should've realized that my Survivor Armor's 10 Enviro protect wouldn't be enough. But poo poo, I never even went in/down.

Is that a lot? Is there some way to cleanse my system? I tried chugging about 10 iodine tablets but that reduced it by a whole 1 Rad. Not even chugging one of the purifier flasks I picked up in a lab helped.

Maybe I should just drown myself in Vodka like a proper STALKER.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 15, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Is there any way to insulate my fists from shocker zombies, or is that a CBM only thing?

There are, I believe, a number of punch weapons which I think work with punchyfist martial arts.

I assume if you make one out of wood or cloth it will work as an insulator?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I was stupid an poked around a waste sarcofigi. Apparently I need an access code to get in. Just as well, while walking back to my van I suddenly realized my stats were reduced, yet nothing was listed as being wrong in the @ menu. With a rather :doh: feeling of dread I fired up my radiation biomonitor; 147 Rads!

Is that a lot? Is there some way to cleanse my system? I tried chugging about 10 iodine tablets but that reduced it by a whole 1 Rad. Not even chugging one of the purifier flasks I picked up in a lab helped.

I guess I should've realized that my Survivor Armor's 10 Enviro protect wouldn't be enough. But poo poo, I never even went in/down.

IRL, 147 rads would give you a nasty case of radiation poisoning, but may not kill you. I don't know if royal jelly will fix radiation poisoning or not but you may be a bit buggered otherwise. If you're losing health then you're a bit hosed, if your stats are just reduced you may be alright. Iodine I would guess won't make you poo poo out all the radiation at once so you're probably supposed to keep taking small amounts of it.

You want to wear a cleansuit or similar for poking around in radiation, I don't think just environmental protection will help.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 15, 2015

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Coolguye posted:

Unarmed Combat is now at 5 and melee is now at 4. I'm basically already Jackie Chan. Is there any way to insulate my fists from shocker zombies, or is that a CBM only thing?

Testing reveals that gloves have no bearing on getting zapped. Nail Fists, an unarmed weapon, still get you zapped despite having wood as their weapon material. Further testing revealed that all unarmed weapons still get you zapped when you punch shockers.

The Faraday shark suit seems to protect you from all forms of zapping.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 15, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You probably want to have a backup ranged weapon anyway; the game has a decent amount of enemies that will gently caress you up pretty hard in melee.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is there a way to check/change a gun's firing mode? I swear there is but I'm dumb and can't find it.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Is there a way to check/change a gun's firing mode? I swear there is but I'm dumb and can't find it.

(F), and the gun's firing mode will show up here:

Guns are fired in either single shot or burst mode, unless you've got the triggerhappy drawback perk.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You mean there's people that don't run Trigger Happy on everything?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Burst fire's rather inaccurate compared to single fire. I accidentally had my FN FAL on burst and it took 3 bursts to kill a scientist zombie compared to the 1/maybe 2 shots it normally takes. That's a lot of wasted shots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

President Ark posted:

You probably want to have a backup ranged weapon anyway; the game has a decent amount of enemies that will gently caress you up pretty hard in melee.

Yeah, I have a sawed-off and a few dozen shells that I looted. It never leaves my inventory. I basically asked to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Burst fire's rather inaccurate compared to single fire. I accidentally had my FN FAL on burst and it took 3 bursts to kill a scientist zombie compared to the 1/maybe 2 shots it normally takes. That's a lot of wasted shots.

The upside is that it can retarget mid-burst if you, say, have burst fire on and kill the first guy in one shot.

This is also an actual downside to Trigger Happy - it [i]won't[i] retarget, so if you kill something on the first shot you'll just empty the rest of the clip into it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Depends on Recoil. Use weapon mods to get your Recoil down to 0, slaughter everything.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Million Ghosts posted:

You mean there's people that don't run Trigger Happy on everything?

The real puzzler is people who don't run Schizophrenia on everything. What's not to like about being told to turn off the game and having your mother attack at random?

e: the retargeting thing does present an interesting wrinkle for Trigger Happy though, sounds like enough fun to make up for losing out a couple extra points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

President Ark posted:

The upside is that it can retarget mid-burst if you, say, have burst fire on and kill the first guy in one shot.

This is also an actual downside to Trigger Happy - it [i]won't[i] retarget, so if you kill something on the first shot you'll just empty the rest of the clip into it.

Actually, it does retarget. Or maybe I just ball up zombies into clumps before I start shooting into them wildly?

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 15, 2015