Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Went to see Wayfarer/Falls of Rauros in Cambridge last night, Serial Hawk was there and they loving crushed my bones to dust until lovely electrical problems made them cut their set short. But they're awesome. Their setup is great, they shove all their cabs up like a few feet behind them, and you can feel the low end just pulverizing you while the drummer punishes them skins. Check them out if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
High On Fire, man: http://www.npr.org/2015/06/07/412028493/first-listen-high-on-fire-luminiferous

edit: Halfway through, and I already like this better than their last two albums. "Carcosa" is a beast.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 8, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

High on Fire is absolutely my poo poo and this album owns.

EDIT: they sped up Slave the Hive and changed the structure a little, it feels like.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 8, 2015

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
If that scream at the end of the title track is one take, that's really impressive.

The whole album is impressive, actually. The riffs and arrangements feel like a throwback to Art Of Self Defense and Blessed Black Wings, but the production is much clearer than both those records.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Juaguocio posted:

If that scream at the end of the title track is one take, that's really impressive.

The whole album is impressive, actually. The riffs and arrangements feel like a throwback to Art Of Self Defense and Blessed Black Wings, but the production is much clearer than both those records.

Oh good. Blessed Black Wings is my favorite High on Fire album. I'll have to give this new one a full listen. The two tracks I heard already were pretty awesome.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Yeah new HoF owns. Lots of good tracks, I think my favorites so far are The Sunless Years and The Falconist. Slave the Hive also sounds way better than the old version.

Also I haven't seen Colossus mentioned here. they've put out a new album this year which is really really good.

https://colossusstockholm.bandcamp.com/album/the-breathing-world

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

Went to see Wayfarer/Falls of Rauros in Cambridge last night, Serial Hawk was there and they loving crushed my bones to dust until lovely electrical problems made them cut their set short. But they're awesome. Their setup is great, they shove all their cabs up like a few feet behind them, and you can feel the low end just pulverizing you while the drummer punishes them skins. Check them out if you can.

Serial Hawk kicks so much rear end, super nice guys too. We stayed at their guitarist house the day after he left for tour, we just missed playing with them for a few days, they were headed south, and we were still doing the north west. They're still on tour, catch them if you guys can.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Slave the Hive, The Falconist, Dark Side of the Compass all own.

The album opens pretty strongly too. enjoying it much more than the last album (although I dont think I will ever hear a riff as evil and gigantic as Madness of the Architect ever again)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Here's the new Ahab teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJ-d_lOmc4

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I know I'm late to the party, but I don't think I've ever clicked 'buy' on Bandcamp as quickly as I did after sampling Elder's Lore.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's not as good as dead roots stirring, so imagine how quickly you'll click buy for that one!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Wasn't on Bandcamp :v:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Laserface posted:

It's not as good as dead roots stirring, so imagine how quickly you'll click buy for that one!

Ugh it's so good. Spotify link for those with the subscription.

While we're at it, here's the thread's Spotify playlist, feel free to add some awesome poo poo to it. I didn't create it but it might be good to impose a max 1 release per artist limit unless they have two *essential* releases, so we can make it more succinct and varied. black sabbath are exempt

Also I agree with the recent chat on the new High on Fire, that first song they released hardly blew me away but I'm finding the LP as a whole much more interesting than the last couple despite them having a couple of killer tracks.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 12, 2015

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
What's the best stoner/sludge/doom "channel" to subscribe to on YouTube? Or is there one?

Not just for music, but documentaries and such.

I've seen quite a few documentaries out there, but maybe I'm missing some good ones I don't know about.

Thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Went to see Wounded Giant in Portland, Maine last night. Super cool dudes, great music. Check 'em out if you get a chance.

Also, along the same lines of Vile Creature, here's some more queer Canadian sludge doom for you:

https://antibodyunfortunately.bandcamp.com/album/space-qveen

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

What's the best stoner/sludge/doom "channel" to subscribe to on YouTube? Or is there one?
Thanks.

Stoned Meadow of Doom is a channel that regularly updates full albums, but not many videos.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I like MrStoneBeliever since he posts an amazing variety of new music, a lot of it fairly obscure. I'm not really aware of any channel that posts a lot of documentaries/non-music stuff and what have you.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Detective Thompson posted:

Went to see Wounded Giant in Portland, Maine last night. Super cool dudes, great music. Check 'em out if you get a chance.

Also, along the same lines of Vile Creature, here's some more queer Canadian sludge doom for you:

https://antibodyunfortunately.bandcamp.com/album/space-qveen

This is good, thanks.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Not just for music, but documentaries and such.

I've seen quite a few documentaries out there, but maybe I'm missing some good ones I don't know about.

Thanks.

If you're looking for live shows, KILLTHATCAT has a huge archive of sludge/doom, as well as punk, hardcore, metal and lots of other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?KILLTHATCATarchives?videos

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Last date of the Ufomammut and Usnea tour tonight in Milwaukee. Owns

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

nerve posted:

Last date of the Ufomammut and Usnea tour tonight in Milwaukee. Owns

Caught them 3 times this tour(Chicago, MDF, and Milwaukee). I think Milwaukee was my favorite of the three, so godamn good.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Did you get a look at how full the place was? I was right in front but from what I could tell when leaving it didn't look like that place was even 3/4 full.

Show was realllly loving good though for sure. Glad I learned about Usnea too, what a great surprise their set was

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-
New Uncle Acid album on Sept 4th!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
....and a U.S. Tour that I won't be able to make.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Seeing Earth in Madison on my birthday yessssssssssss

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
The last part of 2015 is gonna be great for releases. Uncle Acid, Ghost, Windhand, um... I forget but I know there are a few more. I really gotta get out of Florida, no bands ever come here.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

nerve posted:

Did you get a look at how full the place was? I was right in front but from what I could tell when leaving it didn't look like that place was even 3/4 full.

Show was realllly loving good though for sure. Glad I learned about Usnea too, what a great surprise their set was

By the end of the set it emptied a bit, I think just cause of how late it was. It wasnt nearly sold out, but from the few times I've driven up to the venue it was one of the better attendance numbers I've seen. At its peak at least the venue section of the bar was close to full.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

The last part of 2015 is gonna be great for releases. Uncle Acid, Ghost, Windhand, um... I forget but I know there are a few more. I really gotta get out of Florida, no bands ever come here.

I've never understood that. Florida has a huge population, is the cradle of American death metal, and - at least in regard to sludge and stoner - is not that far from a lot of hotbeds. Is it just too much of a pain and too expensive to get to south Florida to justify touring there?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Florida loving sucks despite the fact that some of my favorite acts started there

e: Orlando is one of the worst places in the world

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

muike posted:

Florida loving sucks

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I want an act called Florida Man that does nasty grindcore that sounds like it has a humidity of 90%

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
1). Where Man is Not Meant to Tread
2). Eversorrow Moonglades
3). Aligator Jerker

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

muike posted:

I want an act called Florida Man that does nasty grindcore that sounds like it has a humidity of 90%

1 in 10 lucky fans gets a medication resistant strain of malaria

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like a GWAR concert. But you're actually in severe danger because Florida Man built the venue.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This is a really great idea and now I'm looking up all the Florida grindcore bands I can remember...Palatka, rear end in a top hat Parade....Assuck!

edit: It's too easy, endless material

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 16, 2015

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Saint Vitus with Scott Reagers tonight. Pretty excited, since they canceled at the last minute when they were supposed to play here last year, due to Wino's drug-trafficking charges. They're touring with stuff from the self-titled, Hallow's Victim, and Die Healing.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 16, 2015

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Ugh it's so good. Spotify link for those with the subscription.

While we're at it, here's the thread's Spotify playlist, feel free to add some awesome poo poo to it. I didn't create it but it might be good to impose a max 1 release per artist limit unless they have two *essential* releases, so we can make it more succinct and varied. black sabbath are exempt

Yo, I created it. I'm really happy that it's taken on a life of its own and people are regularly adding new stuff. Right now there are about 1 - 2 albums per artists, with exceptions for Sabbath, Melvins, Sunn o)))). I don't know that succinctness is going to happen, it's already 63 hours of doom and terror haha.

I mostly use it like this: I'll open the playlist and hit shuffle, whatever album it lands on I'll listen to front to back. I've discovered a ton of great bands this way.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'll open the playlist and hit shuffle, whatever album it lands on I'll listen to front to back. I've discovered a ton of great bands this way.

same, some real good poo poo in there, thanks goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

any Philly goons going to see Bell Witch tomorrow? bandsintown emails just reminded me today. I hate driving into the cities to go to shows by myself