Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ecavalli posted:

3) Do Steam achievements work for any of you? Since the functionality was introduced, I've never been able to unlock any of them, despite repeatedly meeting their stated requirements, owning all the DLC and automatically downloading each patch issued by Paradox.

Chevos are only awarded when you're paying Ironman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

Chevos are only awarded when you're paying Ironman.

Oh! That explains it, then.

It's been my fault this whole time.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

ecavalli posted:

2) Outside of the tutorial campaign, which ruler/starting date would you suggest those familiar (but not deeply experienced) with CK2 play to learn the mid- to endgame concepts? I'll worry about strategy later, but first I'd like to nail down all the core gameplay concepts.

Here's a curveball: Zunists in Charlemagne! They're challenging as hell if you're trying to expand much outside of Afghanistan or reform them but it's something of a trial by fire for every important game mechanic if you're playing them straight. The unique mechanics Christians and Muslims get aren't really that important in the long run and they generally play at a much less frantic tempo; Norse and steppe pagans play very differently, India and Republics are their own little worlds for different reasons. I recommend permanently parking your chancellor in the Abbasid capital and savescumming until you get high enough opinion to not get blobbed for your first attempt, though. You'll want to learn how attrition works after that. When you go back to Europe expanding by blood claims will be piss easy because you don't have to sacrifice anything to focus on your internal strength and stability as your neighbors are so nice (usually), and people actually accept vassalization.

Also it's really fun to play as a Sun Kingdom and their decisions are badass. :sun:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

I gave this a try and did indeed get my face pushed in pretty quickly by a Crusade, even after using the Ruler Designer Unlocked mod to make an ubermensch warlord. Pretty fun up to that point, though! Also my Crusade strategy was to make a beeline for Rome for poetic justice.

Yeah, the key is actually to try to take land in North Africa -- one of the little duchies around Tripoli, I think -- and use that as a power base. That or cozen up to the Fatimids in Egypt. Don't try to push your luck beyond Sicily onto the mainland even if you're tempted to. I managed to survive several Crusades by allying with most of the North African muslims, so that I could count on them to back me up in a Crusade. You've actually got a pretty solid position if you can fortify your island and hold them off, because they'll be slaughtered by the morale penalty from unloading on a boat or the attack penalty from attacking across a strait.

ecavalli posted:

2) Outside of the tutorial campaign, which ruler/starting date would you suggest those familiar (but not deeply experienced) with CK2 play to learn the mid- to endgame concepts? I'll worry about strategy later, but first I'd like to nail down all the core gameplay concepts.

1066, Sigfus of Vestisland. If you're the patient type, it's extremely satisfying to go from a tiny, poverty-stricken, frozen rock in the North Sea to being ruler of all Scandinavia.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 14, 2015

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

ecavalli posted:

Edit: 4) Is the Game of Thrones mod worthwhile? It seems feature-rich, but how much of that is minor alterations to existing concepts versus genuinely novel additions?

It's fun, but mostly just to play in the world from the shows/books. It's still the same game, nothing terribly new. Oh, and dragons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Playing as Aegon the Conqueror is fun because you're basically totally invincible if you play your cards right:

Although in my first attempt Aegon died in the very first battle of the war for the Westerlands and my dragon went crazy and wrecked a bunch of poo poo and everything sort of collapsed.

It also handles civil war in a pretty cool way. If one of the major vassals of the Iron Throne rebels everyone becomes independent and must choose which side they want to support or if they want to remain neutral.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Hobolicious posted:

It's fun, but mostly just to play in the world from the shows/books. It's still the same game, nothing terribly new. Oh, and dragons.

That's what I was worried about.

I know it's blasphemy these days, but I'm not so in love with GRRM's books or the TV show that a simple fan service reskin gets me excited.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 14, 2015

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

ecavalli posted:

That's what I was worried about.

I know it's blasphemy these days, but I'm not so in love with GRRM's books or the TV show that a simple fan service reskin gets me excited.

It does add a lot of new mechanics, traits, events, and other cool stuff. I still prefer changing real-world history, but it seems pretty cool from the few times I've tried it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you play as any of the major book characters you get event chains based on the books. Which allows you to do things like bypass the quagmire of Meereen altogether as Daenerys by simply saying "lol gently caress this" and invading Westeros.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ecavalli posted:

After 30 hours with CK2, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the basics, but there are a few things I still don't quite grasp.

1) What qualifications does a character need to meet to make a legitimate de jure claim on a county? Presumably, there's something simple that I'm completely overlooking, but I keep running into situations where I think I should be able to claim a nearby area, yet the CK2 UI disagrees and doesn't offer a great explanation of why I'm wrong.

To make a de jure claim you need to hold a title of duke level or higher and the county you press the claim on has to be part of your de jure realm. Go to your title page and check the De Jure box in the top right to see what counties are "supposed" to be yours and if you don't have one of them you can press your claim.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ecavalli posted:

After 30 hours with CK2, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with the basics, but there are a few things I still don't quite grasp.

1) What qualifications does a character need to meet to make a legitimate de jure claim on a county? Presumably, there's something simple that I'm completely overlooking, but I keep running into situations where I think I should be able to claim a nearby area, yet the CK2 UI disagrees and doesn't offer a great explanation of why I'm wrong.

Are you sure you are trying to press them against the right person? You must always try to press the claim against the top level liege. So if the king of Scotland has conquered Ulster, as the King of Ireland you must declare war against the king of Scotland to press your de jure claim, not against the count of Ulster.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Can someone toss me the download link for the warhammer mod? I've tried going to the paradox forums, but I can't reset my password for some reason, and since I didn't even know I had an account I tried to make a new one, which it let me do, but now whenever I try to log in it says I have an old account, and would I like to merge the new one to it? Great! Just type your old password here. And the password reset still isn't working by the way.
I'd prefer not to have to make a throwaway account since if I'm not mistaken you need to use your cd keys to get into tech support forums and poo poo over there, so... help?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zbqbc75ws30g584/geheimnisnacht_0.5.1.zip

Or steam
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406933979

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Magyars are also a fun start. You start out at war with Bulgaria with a bunch of free event troops at your disposal. The amount of troops you start with has been drastically nerfed since the Old Gods came out but it should still be enough for you to take over most of or even all of Bulgaria without too much trouble. I think you still get some extra event troops when you form Hungary but I suspect it's no longer enough men for you to conquer most of the world with. If you want to be historically accurate you can convert to Catholicism but there's nothing stopping you from converting to any of the other organized religions or even trying to reform Tengri. Your king at the start is pretty old and wont last long and his son is a bit poo poo but at least you start with an adult heir.

Trip report: Magyar start has been pretty fun. It took me a few false starts to get the hang of the invasion mechanic (hint: you only need to occupy the primary holding in a county to take over the whole thing when you win) but once I did it was pretty easy to reduce Bulgaria to a rump buffer state between me and the Byzantines. A few pagan invasions of weaker neighbors then a strategic conversion to Catholicism and some holy wars let me form Carpathia by 885.

Only downside is that I'm stuck on gavelkind until I can get crown authority up to high. Since I'm an Empire nothing will leave the realm, but I'm going to need to keep some family members celibate for a while, I think. Also I was kind of hoping not to go Christian since I've played them a bunch but then I saw that the Tengri holy sites were on the edge of the map and that they had absolutely no unique mechanics or even flavor text.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moon Slayer posted:

Trip report: Magyar start has been pretty fun. It took me a few false starts to get the hang of the invasion mechanic (hint: you only need to occupy the primary holding in a county to take over the whole thing when you win) but once I did it was pretty easy to reduce Bulgaria to a rump buffer state between me and the Byzantines. A few pagan invasions of weaker neighbors then a strategic conversion to Catholicism and some holy wars let me form Carpathia by 885.

Only downside is that I'm stuck on gavelkind until I can get crown authority up to high. Since I'm an Empire nothing will leave the realm, but I'm going to need to keep some family members celibate for a while, I think. Also I was kind of hoping not to go Christian since I've played them a bunch but then I saw that the Tengri holy sites were on the edge of the map and that they had absolutely no unique mechanics or even flavor text.

I've had pretty good luck betrothing my extra sons to babies. Every few years break the engagement and betrothe him to a new baby. That way whenever you die you'll have at least 10 years before your brothers can start producing legitimate heirs. As a plus they'll be betrothed to people that won't give them a great alliance to use against you later.

I suppose Way of Life could mess that up if one of them takes the seduction focus and produces piles of bastards, but the AI doesn't seem keen on legitimising bastards.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are you locked into Seniority Succession now as a republic? Not for Doge, but for your patrician. I could have sworn I'd had Tanistry or Elective before, but now there doesn't even seem to be an option to change succession. Stabbing your way through a bunch of old men to get to a good heir is such a hassle.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Angela Christine posted:

Are you locked into Seniority Succession now as a republic? Not for Doge, but for your patrician. I could have sworn I'd had Tanistry or Elective before, but now there doesn't even seem to be an option to change succession. Stabbing your way through a bunch of old men to get to a good heir is such a hassle.

In vanilla CK2, patricians were always limited to seniority succession. But you have the "designated heir" honorary title. Whoever has this title will inherit upon your death, even if he is just 16 years old (the minimum age for honorary titles).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Torrannor posted:

In vanilla CK2, patricians were always limited to seniority succession. But you have the "designated heir" honorary title. Whoever has this title will inherit upon your death, even if he is just 16 years old (the minimum age for honorary titles).

Oh, right, that was it. Thanks!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is the Mongol DLC going to have a genocide mechanic? Or are they just going to white wash that stuff?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So I picked this up in one of the humble bundle sales, since I heard there was a Warhammer Fantasy mod, and after playing that for a bit days on end, I figured I would probably also enjoy the base game. So what DLC packs/expansions/whatever are thought to be required? I was just going to impulse buy Old Gods and Charlemagne, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So I know Bad Stuff happens if you borrow money from the merchants and expel them, but what happens if you borrow money and your liege expels them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So I know Bad Stuff happens if you borrow money from the merchants and expel them, but what happens if you borrow money and your liege expels them?

Nothing. You just got a free 300 gold.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

rizzen posted:

So I picked this up in one of the humble bundle sales, since I heard there was a Warhammer Fantasy mod, and after playing that for a bit days on end, I figured I would probably also enjoy the base game. So what DLC packs/expansions/whatever are thought to be required? I was just going to impulse buy Old Gods and Charlemagne, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Depends on what you want to do.

Way of Life is great. Get it and it'll open up a bunch of events/decisions for your character.
Old Gods enables pagans and one of the earlier start dates. Pagans can be fun
Charlemagne opens up an even earlier start date.
The Republic or whatever it's called opens up republics. I've heard they're fun.
Sword of Islam enables playing muslim leaders. Personally, I find them a ton of fun but ymmv.
Legacy of Rome enables retinues which used to be necessary to compete with the AI but now don't really do much.
Sons of Abraham includes some extra religious events.
Rajas of India enables you to play in observer mode and watch what happens in Europe play in India as a Dharmist religion.
Sunset Invasion gives you an alternative scenario where Aztecs will invade the west the way mongols invade the East. Pure extraneous fluff that can be fun but is 100% unnecessary.

Everyone has their own ranking of order, but it really depends on how you want to open up your game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Is the Mongol DLC going to have a genocide mechanic? Or are they just going to white wash that stuff?

this is very important to me. also republics are the funnest government in the game imo and lol if you have the dlc and haven't tried it.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

cheesetriangles posted:

Gonna take a wild guess and say that Paradox will never explicitly model genocide, ever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard this a lot, can somebody explain it?
The advantages of Jainism are many; you get to pick your heir, though inheritance laws still need to be followed; if you're gavelkind the other kids also get lands; though once you get primo you can just pick whoever. You get a flat 30+ Opinion bonus from vassals, in addition to which you can pick to either get a religion bonus of an additional 5 or a +1 to health, a stat that is otherwise extremely hard to raise. The health bonus is incredible, because your children will inherit it; meaning they're far more likely to survive to become adults, you're more likely to live longer and less likely to die to diseases.
Furthermore you get a larger demesne limit, +3 (with gavelkind that's +4 before any other bonuses, which is cray) and you also get piety for being at peace I GUESS.

The disadvantages: You lose access to some of the Christian, Muslim and Pagan intrigue options and don't get some of the Indian ones like Tiger Hunt; about the only one you have is finding a Guru, which is only a once in a lifetime thing and you lose access to the hunting focus (so no easy health, no dogs and no easy-spawning lovers to marry to your sons). You have gently caress all CBs; no holy war or any equivalent to that. You have incredibly lovely conversion chances with your religion even outside the Indian continent. And most the special events for the indian religions for some reason won't trigger outside them, so if you're, say, the Mongol Jain Merchant republic of Venice, you get gently caress all events. You have only one holy order, unlike the muslims and christians. Piety is useless and you can never get a religious head or a crusade equivalent.

Mongols are members of the Altaic culture group, which firstly enables them to use the Tribal Invasion CB: For a cost of 500 prestige, they are allowed to invade any non-Pagan independent realm, with all occupied holdings being usurped outright. This means that so long as you control it, you will take over. Of the initial prestige cost, you get back from 200-400 depending on war contributions (if you're alone you get max) plus prestige for battles, so it pays for itself that way. In addition they have a bonus to spreading their culture; I think the Mongol one was like half the time it normally takes which is hella rad. You also have an extremely powerful but expensive retinue; the Horse archer. With lots of these guys, you can force the enemy to only fight in the skirmish phase with your cultural specific tactic, meaning you can take out armies that vastly outnumber you if you get enough retinues; though at the point you reach that currently it's not super important.

So the combination of the two helps shore up the others weakness; your lovely conversion chances (Anecdotal maybe? Y'all tell me) are made up by quicker cultural conversion; the Tribal Invasion is expensive but once you get rolling you don't stop and the usual fragility such a state would endanger is shored over with the massive jain bonuses to rulership. The demerits are relatively small; the hunting focus and low MA if the holy sites get conquered are the only real problems and you can work around them.

Other people had answered but they didn't really go in depth I felt, so I hope this explains comprehensively why the combination is so potent. Tbh, aside from a modified feast, the mongols don't really offer anything the other altaics don't already have, so you can pick any of them, from Avar, Khazar to Bolghar to Turkish or Kirghiz.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Altaic and Mongol CBs are actually distinct. Altaics lose their super-CB if they convert to a non-pagan religion. Mongols only lose it if they convert to a form of Christianity. (Aztecs also get this version of Invasion, as I recall)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Gonna take a wild guess and say that Paradox will never explicitly model genocide, ever.

They model concubine rape. It's just lame that there's no functional differences between de jure wars where it's like sorry, gotta do what I gotta do, and wars where I'm facing a nation I absolutely despise for whatever reason and want to burn it down so bad they'll be talking about it 1,000 years from now.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Other people had answered but they didn't really go in depth I felt, so I hope this explains comprehensively why the combination is so potent. Tbh, aside from a modified feast, the mongols don't really offer anything the other altaics don't already have, so you can pick any of them, from Avar, Khazar to Bolghar to Turkish or Kirghiz.

I'm about 95% sure that in order to have the tribal invasion CB without horde culture, you have to be pagan. The only cultures that can have the invasion CB as a Jain are the hordes, Nahua and Mongol, who's restriction is only that they can't be Christian.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Mongol Empire in the Mongol bookmark also starts with Ultimo as a succession law. When you're Buddhist or Jain, it is functionally "whoever the gently caress you want".

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Something very odd is happening in my game, one of my vassals, Duke of the Isles is trying to claim Scotland for himself. He's taken the Scottish capital and in response the King of Scotland has hired a 17k mercenary army, but they' won't fight. I can see them moving round and round trying to take out my vassal's army but they won't actually enter a battle. Weird and pretty annoying since I'll lose land if my vassal becomes King of Scotland.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I'm about 95% sure that in order to have the tribal invasion CB without horde culture, you have to be pagan. The only cultures that can have the invasion CB as a Jain are the hordes, Nahua and Mongol, who's restriction is only that they can't be Christian.
OH yea, my bad, confused Horde and Invasion culture for a moment. I also vaguely thought to mention Hungarians but they're also invasion. Alas, poor inferior Altaics, you will still always have your funny names and soon the new DLC~

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Shadeoses posted:

Oh, I meant in Geheimnisnacht with the various pseudo-Emperors in the Empire. I tried to set it up so there was a mix of smaller and larger realms.

Well, to be fair to you, I haven't even downloaded your mod.

I've been playing Witcher 3 for the last week and a half and have thus put zero effort into any other games.

In principle though, yes. I think having a variety of feudal kingdoms and independent counts and duchies makes a game far more dynamic and replayable.

I like the idea of being able to start as a new game in various places in the world where I can try and do something unique.

I am definitely not a player who likes to start with a big empire, plays Byzantium every game, or play empire builder every game of CK2.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why can't I give a kingdom to my Grand Mayor? I'm an emperor dammit

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Why can't I give a kingdom to my Grand Mayor? I'm an emperor dammit

You can't create King-level Republic or Theocratic vassals. They need to create the title themselves. Just give them all the land and *hope* they do it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yo does anybody know a good way to switch a culture from West Slavic to German? I'm playing as the Bohemians based out of Prague, but I've managed to create the Empire of Germania and I like the look of those tasty jousting lists a lot more than beefed-up light cav.

Also it kinda makes sense that the German Empire would be German.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The simplest way is to get a German to educate your heir. If you have ROI you could also move your capital to a German area and take a decision to change to the local culture.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yo does anybody know a good way to switch a culture from West Slavic to German? I'm playing as the Bohemians based out of Prague, but I've managed to create the Empire of Germania and I like the look of those tasty jousting lists a lot more than beefed-up light cav.

Also it kinda makes sense that the German Empire would be German.

Move your capital to a german province

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I can't find any Germans or German provinces. Widukind happened (which is weird because I'm not Frankish) but I crushed his rear end and Saxony remains Saxon. Not sure if there are any other German provinces around.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So i have a problem.

My previous ruler's queen wife has been murdering all my spymasters.

I can't imprison her legally for it. I can't ask her to end plot. I can't plot against her (no Valid Plot when I try).

Now she killed my heir. I can't imprison her for it. I can't plot against her. I can't plot against the new heir that is not of my dynasty (No Valid Plot).

Is this a bug or can I really just not interact with anyone related to the crown in the current version? She appears to be invincible.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I Love You! posted:

So i have a problem.

My previous ruler's queen wife has been murdering all my spymasters.

I can't imprison her legally for it. I can't ask her to end plot. I can't plot against her (no Valid Plot when I try).

Now she killed my heir. I can't imprison her for it. I can't plot against her. I can't plot against the new heir that is not of my dynasty (No Valid Plot).

Is this a bug or can I really just not interact with anyone related to the crown in the current version? She appears to be invincible.

Imprison anyway. Take the hit to tyranny and hold you get her or she fucks off to somewhere else. poo poo f that Spy On her

• Locked thread