Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Wales Grey posted:

Actually, it does retarget.

That's.... odd. Either mine is broken or I just haven't noticed it doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

How do you find cash cards? I found a park with a vending machine, decided to go to a bank two streets over to look for a cash card. Bad idea. :supaburn:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

queserasera posted:

How do you find cash cards? I found a park with a vending machine, decided to go to a bank two streets over to look for a cash card. Bad idea. :supaburn:

Kill lots of zombies, sooner or later one will have one on their person. I don't think I've ever actually used one, though. I mean, for starters you can just break or disassemble the vending machines. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, I have a sawed-off and a few dozen shells that I looted. It never leaves my inventory. I basically asked to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.

trip report: even when completely unskilled it is difficult to do less than 100 damage to a shocker brute with a sawed-off per shell expended

that was easy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't forget sawn off shotguns have a Burstfire mode for giving em both barrels at once! Cause some things just need to die immediately! :black101:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
If I wanted a ranged weapon to complement my Remington shotgun, what rifle should I go for? I don't think a revolver quite cuts it.

Edit: The BLR has 0 dispersion. Hell yes.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 15, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

queserasera posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kill lots of zombies, sooner or later one will have one on their person. I don't think I've ever actually used one, though. I mean, for starters you can just break or disassemble the vending machines. :v:

You can't disassemble vending machines. You can smash them and then disassemble the broken vending machine to get all of its contents + some electronic parts for free... but that also spawns an eyebot.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Worth noting that some gas stations require 'em to get any gas. Those stations don't even carry diesel and you actually have to pay. That has always sorta pissed me off.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is there any point to getting a weapon's dispersion or recoil stats below 0?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Holy smokes archery is no joke. I am strolling through a lab one-shotting turrets with a reflex recurve and fletched metal arrows. All it takes to make the things is scrap metal and a cardboard box. Hacksawing off a single broken car frame earns enough metal for roughly infinity arrows. Brutes go down in two or three shots at most. 100% silent too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artificer posted:

Is there any point to getting a weapon's dispersion or recoil stats below 0?

Yes, the ammunition often includes sizable amounts of dispersion or recoil themselves. Especially for heavier rounds.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ugh I can't even put a rifle scope on my sniper because of my lovely marksmanship skill. I think I should probably stick to assault rifles for now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Man, what the gently caress do you guys do during thunder storms when you've done most of the scavenging you're going to do? I've completely and utterly pacified this town I'm in by this point (I was honestly amazed when I was running through a book and I got interrupted by a single zombie) and I'm trying to pump up my skills so I can move on. But whenever a thunder storm hits, it gets too dark to do anything. The only thing I could think to do is go dig up some wreckage that was on the north end of town, but that's all done now so I really have gently caress-all to do.

On a somewhat similar note, I suppose, two more questions:

1) What's a shopping list for a decent mobile base? I needn't necessarily have all the bells and whistles of minifridges and forges on the thing yet, since the town I started in is fairly small and my skills still aren't amazing. But it should reasonably be able to sustain itself in the sense that it should be electrical with enough cells to keep it going, should probably include some sort of bedding, and should be reinforced enough that it can take a bump or two as I'm rolling down the road. Storage is also a duh, but I don't need that much really; I'm still basically living out of a shopping cart, and I only intend to take a couple meals with me as I leave town.
2) How do you deal with mine fields along the road? I went scouting with a throwaway car and the only road out of town forks out to two other roads that are eventually mined to loving hell and back. I managed to total the car about half a day's walk out of town trying to ford one of them.

For reference, here's where I'm at:

Bashing/Cooking/Survival are all at 1 but aren't shown. I'm pretty confident there isn't an electronics book in town so I'm not sure how I can build that skill. I think there is a soldering iron somewhere, but I need to go hunt it down.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just drive around minefields. Unless they're on a forest road, they're pretty easy to avoid.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think you can just throw sticks around, too. If you've got the Perception to see them, just wander about a bit, otherwise, carpet the field in 2x4s.

They're not like a solid wall of mines, and they don't have a huge explosion radius, either. Enough to gently caress up your day if you drive into a few (Like say if you drive over one, lose control of your car, and roll into two more), but solid armor and a good car can more or less laugh at a single mine.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hell, I'd like to know what is on the shopping list for a mobile base with all the bells and whistles, just so I know what to work towards. What do you guys like to have on your rolling fortresses?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Man, what the gently caress do you guys do during thunder storms when you've done most of the scavenging you're going to do? I've completely and utterly pacified this town I'm in by this point (I was honestly amazed when I was running through a book and I got interrupted by a single zombie) and I'm trying to pump up my skills so I can move on. But whenever a thunder storm hits, it gets too dark to do anything. The only thing I could think to do is go dig up some wreckage that was on the north end of town, but that's all done now so I really have gently caress-all to do.

1) What's a shopping list for a decent mobile base? I needn't necessarily have all the bells and whistles of minifridges and forges on the thing yet, since the town I started in is fairly small and my skills still aren't amazing. But it should reasonably be able to sustain itself in the sense that it should be electrical with enough cells to keep it going, should probably include some sort of bedding, and should be reinforced enough that it can take a bump or two as I'm rolling down the road. Storage is also a duh, but I don't need that much really; I'm still basically living out of a shopping cart, and I only intend to take a couple meals with me as I leave town.
2) How do you deal with mine fields along the road? I went scouting with a throwaway car and the only road out of town forks out to two other roads that are eventually mined to loving hell and back. I managed to total the car about half a day's walk out of town trying to ford one of them.

For reference, here's where I'm at:

Bashing/Cooking/Survival are all at 1 but aren't shown. I'm pretty confident there isn't an electronics book in town so I'm not sure how I can build that skill. I think there is a soldering iron somewhere, but I need to go hunt it down.

The best ways to work in the dark are lightstrips and glowsticks. You used to be able to raise your electronics skill by disassembling and rebuilding flashlights, that may still be the case. If you disassemble a few of the amplifier circuits from flashlights you'll probably learn the recipes for those as well to help raise it. I'm not sure if have to get the recipe for lightstrips from a book or not.

1.)An electric engine, a couple of batteries and 4-6 solar cells, a vehicle welding rig and you'll be pretty much set with plenty of room to expand. Bedding isn't so important since you can sleep just fine in a seat. Metal plating is the simplest way to reinforce it, but honestly if your worried about damage it'd probably be simpler to just not run into to much. Although, I do like replacing my windows with doors since they're a little sturdier. From the sounds of it a simple solar powered car or suv should make a fine base vehicle to build on and modify to fit your needs. If you want to make it really large and heavy you're probably going to want a gas engine instead, and as long you make siphoning a part of your routine and throw a couple of gas tanks on it you'll never really want for fuel.

As trite as it may sound, an effective mobile base is which ever one suits your needs. I've made giant building sized Armageddon Crawlers down to zippy little go-karts, and they all have their pros and cons but they all worked.

Artificer posted:

Hell, I'd like to know what is on the shopping list for a mobile base with all the bells and whistles, just so I know what to work towards. What do you guys like to have on your rolling fortresses?

That's a long list if you want Rolling Fallout Palace Super Supreme. Rollers, treads, twin large engines maybe even a vortex engine (best get mining), military composite armor, interior doors, RV Kitchen unit, Chemistry Set, Vehicle Welding Rig, the Foodco thing, Water Tanks, Turrets of some sort, Mirrors, lights all over the place, remote control unit, removable storage batteries, a bed, and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 15, 2015

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Mzbundifund posted:

Holy smokes archery is no joke. I am strolling through a lab one-shotting turrets with a reflex recurve and fletched metal arrows. All it takes to make the things is scrap metal and a cardboard box. Hacksawing off a single broken car frame earns enough metal for roughly infinity arrows. Brutes go down in two or three shots at most. 100% silent too.

Archery + night vision = murdering everything with complete impunity. Archery is silent and in the dark your target won't have anyway to track you, it's a great way to handle shockers.

Coolguye posted:

Mobile base

For bedding a regular car seat works pretty well, counts as a comfortable place to sleep but keep in mind stuff can see you through your windows and I think a proper bed does have a better bonus for resting.

Just browse your town for vehicles, check out what parts are in good condition or within your ability to repair and look for stuff you might want in your mobile base. You'll need a hacksaw and wrench to remove parts then a welder or duct tape to apply them to a new structure.

I'd suggest just leaving town on foot however, your settings would have to be set pretty low to prevent another town spawning within walking distance.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wreckage with cool CBMs and weapons in it are distinct from rubble and things right? One is just a ruined building and the other is a crashed helicopter or some poo poo? They're not labeled on the map right, unless you do so yourself?

Edit: Ahh dammit. All the IDs I have are Scientist, not Military. Guess that bunker I found will have to wait.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 15, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Coolguye posted:

1) What's a shopping list for a decent mobile base?
2) How do you deal with mine fields along the road?

I either turn on a light so I can read/craft a whole bunch when I'm not scavenging during Thunderstorms.

Regarding your other questions here's my take:
1) A decent mobile base is one you convert from another vehicle, as such you'll want one that has a bunch of space/convertible space. Van's are a good place to start, especially the Hippie Van and Cube Van. Ambulances are also great. RV's have a lot of space but are huge and pains to drive, while APC's have space and armor but really bad visuals.
Regardless, here's the tools you'll want: wrench, hacksaw, torch/welder, rubber hose, plastic jerrycan. Wrench & Hacksaw for cannibalizing other vehicles of stuff, torch/welder for that and for putting things on your own, rubber hose & jerrycan for siphoning fuel/draining water.
Gas is way easier to get started with than electric and once you've got a vehicle you'll be able to quickly find other vehicles/parts to disassemble and let you rice yours out no problem.

For basic features you're going to want a vehicle welding Rig so you don't go through the hassle of batteries while meddling with your vehicle (Garages can have this pre-built) and an RV Kitchen Unit with a Water Tank so you have a place to cook and a repository of clean water you don't have to worry about (mostly.)
After that you want Storage and accessibility. Trunks are alright but Cargo Storage is the absolute best since you don't get slowed down while going through it and it has 1000 volume space a tile. Also stick at least one Aisle With Lights in so you can turn them on for enough light to craft/read by.
All seats are apparently recliners so you don't need a bed at all, just toss a blanket (or in my case, an American Flag :patriot:) in it.
After that layer the roof with Solar Panels and stick as many storage batteries (with swappable battery cases) as you can and finish everything off with armoring everything and sticking rams in front. Add window & quarterpanel/doors to taste because Wing Mirrors suck.

Once you've spent some time with this vehicle and looted a whole bunch you should have some ideas on your Deathmobile of choice to suit your playstyle: do you park it outside of town and move in by some other methods or do you say 'I AM A HUNK OF ARMOR AND GUNS BRING IT ON' and just drive it into problems.

2) Most minefields I've found are a single tile across and are easy to drive around unless they're in a forest. I have yet to find one that's been bordered on both sides by a forest so I've just driven around them. Spare wheels (especially armored) would be the next best thing if you absolutely HAVE to go through it.

I also find that it helps to turn Cruise Control off. Sure I have to keep pressing accelerate between hitting numpad 5 to keep speed up but I crash way more with Cruise Control on.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 15, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

2) How do you deal with mine fields along the road?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just drive around minefields.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Spare wheels (especially armored) would be the next best thing if you absolutely HAVE to go through it.

...you do realize you can disarm mines, right? If you have enough Perception to spot them it takes maybe 2~3 levels in Traps and some expendable helmet/goggles/armor for when the RNG feels like punching you in the dysphemism.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So I decided to just hack my way into the bunker and I saw that there were turrets active, so then I proceeded to EMP my way in the rest of the way.

I was hoping for a Saiga 12 or a better shotgun but I found an uncanny dodge and protective lenses CBM, as well as a whole bunch of good looking weapons as well as a DSR that looks really drat sexy.

Y'know what I'm not too upset. The Remington shotgun has served me very well thus far even if it can't burst fire; it still kills Hulks dead as poo poo quite well.

How does the Uncanny Dodge CBM work?

And am I going to make myself deaf with gunfire now that I can't put a suppressor on this rifle?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

silentsnack posted:

...you do realize you can disarm mines, right? If you have enough Perception to spot them it takes maybe 2~3 levels in Traps and some expendable helmet/goggles/armor for when the RNG feels like punching you in the dysphemism.

Or just throw rocks at them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

poo poo. I seem to have gotten my shopping cart/car trunk hybrid stuck on some metal wreckage I stumbled on to in the night. I can't pull it off. And I can't dig to clear the wreckage under it since it goes into the examine vehicle/get item menu instead. But when I hit the get item button no inventory button appears. What do I do? :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

silentsnack posted:

Yeah, but I'm not gonna defuse every random minefield I drive past. :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

For the RV Kitchen unit and its water, is it possible to hook it up to a water tank attached to the vehicle, with a funnel in it?

And is it possible to hook up an on/off capable light to the inside of your car?

Edit: That's odd. The options for the Forge and Foodco and the RV Kitchen unit aren't even on the list for some reason...

Oh I needed to strip the aisles out.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 15, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Your vehicle controls are a (weak) light - turn on the dome lights to craft in the driver's seat. You can also install aisle lights elsewhere in your vehicle to light things up a bit; they're activated and deactivated at the controls, same as the dome lights. The best option, if you get your hands on one, is an atomic nightlight or atomic lamp - you can build those into vehicles for permanent light (enough to read and craft by!).

I don't think onboard funnels are an option, annoyingly :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress I've got solar panels in the back of my car. I didn't realize that even bumping up against bushes could destroy them. Any ideas on how to keep them protected?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Admiral Funk posted:

Worth noting that some gas stations require 'em to get any gas. Those stations don't even carry diesel and you actually have to pay. That has always sorta pissed me off.

Shows what I know, I always go electric. :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, the ammunition often includes sizable amounts of dispersion or recoil themselves. Especially for heavier rounds.

Unfortunately, mods on the weapon can only decrease the weapon's portion of the dispersion to zero, they can't affect the ammo. Recoil can go negative, though.

Artificer posted:

Oh gently caress I've got solar panels in the back of my car. I didn't realize that even bumping up against bushes could destroy them. Any ideas on how to keep them protected?

Make upgraded reinforced solar panels instead of regular ones, they'll hold up a lot better. (Upgraded for more energy gain, reinforced to make them sturdier at the cost of slightly less energy gain.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Put them as close to the middle of the car as possible, reinforce them (wire + superglue), replace them often.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I found the UPS CBM in some wreckage, installed it, and converted my MP3 player to run off UPS. I have good power storage, but my only power source is an Internal Furnace, also from wreckage.

My wandering badass survivor maid turned SWAT truck road warrior is now permanently rocking out to kickass guitar solos, sustained by a weekly stop to slice through trees with her nodachi and eat them to sustain the raging fires of rock and roll in her belly. :black101:

e: The survivor flea market party palace thing in this world is within a short jaunt of an anthill to the south and a beehive to the north. A little ways west are a toxic waste dump and a mysterious temple that I can't get into yet. Nearby to the east is a cathedral. :stare: I think I'll hang out here for a little while.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 15, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What does the message "zombie scientist coughs up a strange dust" mean? I was wearing a light survivor mask at the time (10 environmental protection, covers eyes, mouth) so maybe I was immune to it, but I didn't notice any effects.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

What does the message "zombie scientist coughs up a strange dust" mean? I was wearing a light survivor mask at the time (10 environmental protection, covers eyes, mouth) so maybe I was immune to it, but I didn't notice any effects.

I'm pretty sure zombie scientists have a mutating (or at least radioactive) attack of some kind, maybe it's that?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Adding a water faucet on top of an onboard chemistry lab gives you more functionality than a RV kitchen unit. Add a FOODCO for water purification/dehydrator/vacuum sealer and you've got a nearly complete two-tile kitchen/meth lab in two tiles, as opposed to three it'd take otherwise.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do either of those have food preservation? Though I guess I really don't have much in the way of perishables left.

Except some aging hot dogs, which my character apparently finds completely unappealing without bread to eat it with. Dude, you can like chop that poo poo up and fry it with some eggs and potatoes, its great, or chop it up and mix it with chilli (Chillidogs sans bread!), there is so many ways to eat hot dogs besides hotdogs!

brb making an expanded food mod. :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure zombie scientists have a mutating (or at least radioactive) attack of some kind, maybe it's that?

Thanks for the suggestion, I went and crafted a radiation biomonitor but it says I'm not irradiated. Then it said to have a nice day. I guess my guy put that feature in to try to cheer himself up. :3:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I went and crafted a radiation biomonitor but it says I'm not irradiated. Then it said to have a nice day. I guess my guy put that feature in to try to cheer himself up. :3:

The radiation attack's a beam that fires out of their mouths. I think they've got a few actions that don't do anything, coughing up dust might be like that.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Artificer posted:

How does the Uncanny Dodge CBM work?

When you turn it on, it consumes X power per turn and lets you dodge bullets using your dodging skill. In theory. I don't know if its capped by your maximum dodges, has a penalty to dodging gunfire, or if it's even functional.

e: A hastily slapped together firing range with a single turret and a guy with 12s in all stats and 10s in all skills with uncanny dodge active got lit up and died in a three barrages of gunfire. A second guy died the same way as the first, even using zui quan's "punch a dude get all the dodges" bonus.

Also I did a burning building spawn for the second of the noble testmen and wow I'm glad I wasn't actually trying to play the game legit.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 15, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How do you dismantle reinforced glass, like from a bunker, so that you can instead put it on your solar panels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I keep forgetting to bring some tools with me when I go out exploring and notice that a hell of a lot of sealed crates I come across are empty, they didn't put in a dick move where smashing crates open destroys the contents did they?

Also I keep randomly hearing voices, everytime it goes the same way: Its coming for us, I love you, I love the smell of napalm in the morning. I look high and low and don't see any humans around, what is this?