Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

actually exactly one month after that they were talking to bethesda about whether they should make a new game somewhere in New Orleans or some poo poo so i'm pretty sure that's overblown by internet people

really? awesome, this I didn't know. PoE was disappointing, but I dunno anyone I'd get optimistic about the Fallout license for today like I would Obsidian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Crap, so your character really does get shoehorned into a straight relationship?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

Did they say how many weapons the game is gonna have? did I miss something from the showcase?

"50" is the number todd howard threw around but the ones we know for sure is:

10mm pistol that you can turn automatic (and looks more like the Fallout 1/2 10mm pistol)
.38 caliber "pipe rifle" that's actually an SMG
assault rifle
laser gun
plasma gun
junk gun
cryo gun that will likely be removed from the game
fat man

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Crap, so your character really does get shoehorned into a straight relationship?

And parenthood.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

crawlkill posted:

the sad thing is I'll be completely unable to resist buying Fallout 4. I give this poo poo a CHANCE. every time. "fool me an infinite number of times, shame on me." I hope Obsidian does a licensed game, but I don't think anyone thinks that's likely.

Do anything else with your life besides post in this thread. You don't need the stress.

Game looks fun as well. Can't wait.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

Yeah how dare people spend $50 on the sequel to a game from a studio whose games most people spend 80+ hours players.

Literally. $50.

Holy poo poo. That's like. 6 Hours of minimum wage labour.

please stop using this as an example

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

At first, but a lot can change in 200 years :gay:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

welcome to the voiced protagonist! please, can I decide a few things for you?

I don't particularly mind being breederized, whatever, but the implications for player agency in general are hilariously grim

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

really? awesome, this I didn't know. PoE was disappointing, but I dunno anyone I'd get optimistic about the Fallout license for today like I would Obsidian.
POE owned, any game where a wizard wears plate armor makes the best wizard and rogues having a niche being "hit for 326 damage and instagib forest trolls" owns.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Die Laughing posted:

Do anything else with your life besides post in this thread. You don't need the stress.

Game looks fun as well. Can't wait.

BUT WHAT IF I ENJOY IT? it's not impossible! it might happen! I mean, MOST people like Bethesda games! I keep imagining "maybe this one will be different!" this thread may make me look like a pessimist, but I'm actually a DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED OPTIMIST.

plus I just couldn't handle it if other people were talking about a Fallout game and I couldn't offer an opinion

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

frajaq posted:

Did they say how many weapons the game is gonna have? did I miss something from the showcase?

50 base weapons that you then customize to change their behavior so "700" combinations.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also he or she is a veteran. So you're a straight middle class pre-war veteran (or an android implanted with the memories and appearance of a straight middle class pre-war veteran) who has a baby and a dead spouse you're gonna be sad about.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

crawlkill posted:

welcome to the voiced protagonist! please, can I decide a few things for you?

I don't particularly mind being breederized, whatever, but the implications for player agency in general are hilariously grim

So if I can't connect with the character than I already don't give a gently caress. Nice Bethesda.

Republican Vampire posted:

Also he or she is a veteran. So you're a straight middle class pre-war veteran (or an android implanted with the memories and appearance of a straight middle class pre-war veteran) who has a baby and a dead spouse you're gonna be sad about.

OK yeah gently caress this game. Maybe I'll buy the next elder scrolls.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

frajaq posted:

According to the stream, there'll be around 50 'base' weapons, each of which can be customized in any number of ways. We've seen laser pistols become laser automatic shotguns, plasma pistols become plasma sniper rifles, baseball bats with circular saws attached to become cutting weapons, etc etc etc.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's as to how many of those 50 'base' weapons would be divided into unarmed/melee/gun/explosive/energy. I definitely look forward, however, to customizing the poo poo out of a flamer/incinerator. I wonder if I'll be able to produce a sniper rifle that fires explosive fireballs. Also I need a pyromaniac perk.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yaaaaaaaay.

Until about 5 mins into the game, and then you're just some shmuck crawling around in the dirt doing a side quest to get parts for this sex bot so you can infiltrate this night club to get some sweet cash.

What I'm saying is the main plot/starting point of these sorts of games are all kind of easy to ignore.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

POE owned, any game where a wizard wears plate armor makes the best wizard and rogues having a niche being "hit for 326 damage and instagib forest trolls" owns.

it's the first Obsidian game I've played where I didn't care about the setting or any of the characters, PC or NPC, and found the dialogue utilitarian rather than joyful =\ plus I just found the combat samey and dull. but that's a topic for another thread.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So if I can't connect with the character than I already don't give a gently caress. Nice Bethesda.

don't be silly, the voiced protagonist has ALWAYS been about excluding people! did you notice how between Dragon Age 1 and 2 the quality of PC dialogue dropped from "whatever took the writer's fancy" to "being a vehicle for asking questions and giving straightforward opinions?" UGH. at least Geralt has some character...even though I'm pretty sure at least 50% of the human race couldn't connect with him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

All the pre-war stuff is just the questionable memories implanted into your robot body anyway, you can choose to believe they define your character as a person or not :2bong:
I would be 100% okay with this. Convenient that it's a robot that corroborates your backstory after you wake up.

Actually, plumbing that rabbit-hole... did Fallout 3 have absolute proof that these people were androids, not just people who had been super-brainwashed into thinking they were androids? Near-perfect human androids always seemed a bit out of step with Fallout's aesthetic and technology. Mad science super-brainwashing seemed much more in step with things.

I'm just saying, if the twist that you were a robot was followed up with a further twist that you were just some no-name wasteland schmuck being messed with by the Institute could fit with themes that a videogame is well suited to explore.

I don't remember that quest line well enough to know if this is possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

OK yeah gently caress this game. Maybe I'll buy the next elder scrolls.

On the one hand I don't agree with giving the player a concrete backstory and think that's incredibly stupid, but on the other, the character doesn't have to be exactly like you for you to be able to connect to them. If they do then you might want to think about broadening your horizons a bit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

What I'm saying is the main plot/starting point of these sorts of games are all kind of easy to ignore.

Not if you're a sperg

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

On the one hand I don't agree with giving the player a concrete backstory and think that's incredibly stupid, but on the other, the character doesn't have to be exactly like you for you to be able to connect to them. If they do then you might want to think about broadening your horizons a bit.

gently caress that. I have never been able to connect to any media that uses missing/dead spouse/children as a 'thing'. it's lazy and bullshit.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

broaden your horizons...into being the most generic real-world American imaginable? if it were a studio with writing talent, I could see it being a point being made on the 1950s prewar aesthetic, but it isn't.

imagine how the broader audience would react if you were required to start out as a divorced gay female-to-male transsexual, unemployed because of his alcoholism, whose kids hated him. YOU might say "you don't need to be like your character to connect to them," but how much currency do you think that argument would carry in general if the default were thoroughly queer?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Eiba posted:

I would be 100% okay with this. Convenient that it's a robot that corroborates your backstory after you wake up.

Actually, plumbing that rabbit-hole... did Fallout 3 have absolute proof that these people were androids, not just people who had been super-brainwashed into thinking they were androids? Near-perfect human androids always seemed a bit out of step with Fallout's aesthetic and technology. Mad science super-brainwashing seemed much more in step with things.

I'm just saying, if the twist that you were a robot was followed up with a further twist that you were just some no-name wasteland schmuck being messed with by the Institute could fit with themes that a videogame is well suited to explore.

It's been a long rear end time since I played fallout 3 but I think you were really supposed to believe the guy was an android, yeah. It's definitely an implausible stupid and derivative idea even by Fallout standards which is why I really enjoy them making it the central plot twist of this game

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Until about 5 mins into the game, and then you're just some shmuck crawling around in the dirt doing a side quest to get parts for this sex bot so you can infiltrate this night club to get some sweet cash.

It's harder and harder to ignore it though. I mean Fallout 3 made a huge deal about your past and your dad and you could stumble into that all over, and now that the protagonist is voiced for the sake of telling a stronger, more coherent story through having a stronger and more coherent main character.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sure, but ignoring it doesn't mean it's not there. You really think the game's gonna give you that background stuff and not utilize it by itself?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This settlement building mechanics is loving awesome because I always wished I could stick around and help some places in Fallout 3, like improve Big Town/Republic of Dave/Arefu/Lincoln Memorial after the slaves move in.

Like build modifications around it and help train them, for goodfeels (and xp)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

This settlement building mechanics is loving awesome because I always wished I could stick around and help some places in Fallout 3, like improve Big Town/Republic of Dave/Arefu/Lincoln Memorial after the slaves move in.

Like build modifications around it and help train them, for goodfeels (and xp)
I want to give everyone fat mans and watch as my settlement explodes because bethesda combat AI is "charge at enemy and pull trigger"

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

It's harder and harder to ignore it though. I mean Fallout 3 made a huge deal about your past and your dad and you could stumble into that all over, and now that the protagonist is voiced for the sake of telling a stronger, more coherent story through having a stronger and more coherent main character.

But Fallout has traditionally told strong stories while deliberately avoiding a coherent main character. It's never been necessary before. Why is it necessary now? It isn't; it's Bethesda doing their usual fall-back-to-basics thing. Whatever's most popular, whatever expects least of the consumer, do that!

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Eiba posted:

You can give a robot part to the guy from the Institute and claim you got it from the android's corpse, and he'll believe you. There's also a guy who gave the android a face change and a memory wipe, so he presumably had to work with its internal components. So unless they're both in on the conspiracy, it's a safe bet that androids are canonically real.

I strongly suspect that the game will try to make you feel like an rear end in a top hat for not caring about your family as much as the writers want you to.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

crawlkill posted:

But Fallout has traditionally told strong stories while deliberately avoiding a coherent main character. It's never been necessary before. Why is it necessary now? It isn't; it's Bethesda doing their usual fall-back-to-basics thing. Whatever's most popular, whatever expects least of the consumer, do that!

Find something else to do with your life.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

because bethesda combat AI is "charge at enemy and pull trigger"

Hey, hey, hey! That's not true! Sometimes they forget you were ever there in spite of the bullets lodged in their skull and decide it was just the wind. BE FAIR.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

what exactly is there better to do at 1 AM on a Monday with no work tomorrow than arguing with internet strangers

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress that. I have never been able to connect to any media that uses missing/dead spouse/children as a 'thing'. it's lazy and bullshit.

why do you need to emotionally connect?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farm Frenzy posted:

Because video games are a good emotional connection to those around you.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He's right. What's your deal?

Farm Frenzy posted:

Because just like with a book or a movie, if you can, it makes it better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

broaden your horizons...into being the most generic real-world American imaginable?

Broaden your horizons into identifying with a character that's not like you, yes. Surprisingly enough it's possible regardless of whether or not the kind of person the fictional character is is common in our real world or not.

crawlkill posted:

imagine how the broader audience would react if you were required to start out as a divorced gay female-to-male transsexual, unemployed because of his alcoholism, whose kids hated him. YOU might say "you don't need to be like your character to connect to them," but how much currency do you think that argument would carry in general if the default were thoroughly queer?

I'm tired of telling people I'm gay whenever this argument comes up but here goes anyway. I'm gay. I know what it's like for there to be no characters "like me" in video games. I don't define myself by my sexual orientation or my gender, but my personality. If you can't connect to the character's backstory then fine, but the game is still going to let you shape their personality, and though I think the backstory is stupid, I can guarantee you they're going to let you make your person still be whoever you want them to be personality-wise. Saying you can't identify with a character solely because they don't share your life's characteristics is not particularly close-minded because the character's not real, but it is still being stubborn.

Broaden your horizons. You have to remember that the game is going to let you make your guy or girl whoever you want them to be except for the things you can't change. It sucks that it is that way and I wish it wasn't, but writing the whole game off just because of the backstory is not keeping everything the game has to offer in mind.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This I agree with. "My X is dead waah" is an overused and annoying cliche.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

50 base weapons that you then customize to change their behavior so "700" combinations.

I'd take that number with the finest grain of salt as it most likely also includes named weapons or even be exaggerated to an unrealistic level. This the same guy who said Fallout 3 had over 200 endings after all. :v:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

crawlkill posted:

what exactly is there to do at 1 AM on a Monday with no work tomorrow than arguing with internet strangers

Replay Fallout 3 so you can go back and get a refresher about all those interesting charactesr that you've completely forgotten about

Maybe this time you could try a negative karma character, nuke megaton, live in tenpenny tower, recruit Clover, and poison the purifier.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, if Intelligence basically has no purpose outside of increasing XP gain, then does that mean they also took out low or high intelligence conversation options?

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I'm tired of telling people I'm gay whenever this argument comes up

yes, fellow human being here, I wasn't actually asking about you! did you read what I said? I said THE BROADER AUDIENCE. it wasn't about you!

khy posted:

Replay Fallout 3

there is nothing I would rather do less

I will replay New Vegas five hundred times before I soil myself with Fallout 3 again

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

if you're offended by lazy bullshit hack writing why are you playing loving videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Back Hack posted:

I'd take that number with the finest grain of salt as it most likely also includes named weapons or even be exaggerated to an unrealistic level. This the same guy who said Fallout 3 had over 200 endings after all. :v:

W-would Todd Howard lie to me? In front of everyone??? :ohdear:

• Locked thread