Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Explorer posted:

So how is this game?

There is a poop button

GOTY 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Internet Explorer posted:

So how is this game?

I think one could reasonably argue that this is the best and most feature-complete survival game available at this point in time. It seems like a lot of the mechanics had a substantial amount of thought put into them, and now the developers are trying to revise mechanics based on what they see people actually doing. Given that they're also intending to add what sounds to be a bunch more content, the future seems promising. The only glaring problem at this point in time is the utter lack of optimization, so if you can overlook topping out around 20 FPS, then this is a good survival game.

Gremaldy
Apr 29, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I think one could reasonably argue that this is the best and most feature-complete survival game available at this point in time. It seems like a lot of the mechanics had a substantial amount of thought put into them, and now the developers are trying to revise mechanics based on what they see people actually doing. Given that they're also intending to add what sounds to be a bunch more content, the future seems promising. The only glaring problem at this point in time is the utter lack of optimization, so if you can overlook topping out around 20 FPS, then this is a good survival game.

This 100%

cloneboy
May 7, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a poop button

GOTY 2015

A coworker friend is trying to get me to play this game, and I started seriously considering it when he told me you could compost your own poo poo to grow crops.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a poop button

GOTY 2015

I'm sorta disappointed the thread title isn't Ark Survival Evolved: Eat, poo poo, and Die. It also works as the perfect four word review.

re: Herbivore buffs, sorta weird. Never had any problems with damage or tanking, its their glacial movement speed that's the only real downside.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
This game has caused me to discover that my little brother is not a fan of dinosaurs anymore. What the hell is wrong with him.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

YOTC posted:

Holy hell I've been unable to get on all drat day. They really need to move the server cap from 70 to 100.

if you mash refresh and join for a few minutes (like 3-5) then you can get in almost any server. Except official01, that place is overflowing at all times. Steam puts their player count at 108/70, presumably people steam auto queue. But steam auto queue does not work for this game, it's not fast enough

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 14, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is surprisingly fun but still runs like rear end

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The first thing everyone should do after tweaking their video settings is unassign the "all follow" and "all stay" whistles. You can do so by assigning them a hotkey that's in use somewhere else, then reassigning the original key back to the other command.

Goons fatfingering the "all" whistle keys is the number one cause of dinos getting stuck and glitched in the base.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
New shorter story.
So I was roaming around the island looking for trouble when I happened on a player taming an absurd number of dilo. Like 4 of them at once. So I waited and watched as he did this to see if he could pull it off. I don't know how he got the meat for all 4 dilo but he did! Good for him! So after he was done taming the dilo quatro he decided to re locate and ran off into the woods but all 4 dilo got stuck on a small hill. So I ceased my chance, ran up to them and proceed to beat them to death with my axe. Nice work taming my dinner scrub.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also I don't know how this game expects people to servive in the ocean for more than 2 seconds with the way the megaladon are right now. They have an obserd agro rang and swarm like crazy. I guess there using them as a gating mechanic for lack of ocean content. Also don't try to swim to goon island. It's not fun

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Walked into this in the goon base

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPt_GH-KSKA

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is Tribe of Tribe seriously the goon tribe? I keep finding your stuff but I've been destroying it. I will stop if thats the case

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Server #40 runs around 110-180 ping for me most of the time (EU) but it's decently playable before the server is full so I might make the move and try to do useful things in the hours before everyone else gets on.

Will the server accept a character upload or do I need to start over?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is Tribe of Tribe seriously the goon tribe? I keep finding your stuff but I've been destroying it. I will stop if thats the case
It is

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So if anyone is interested in checking out a private server, I've been keeping track of a few of the 127 limit ones. By far the most popular good one seems to be LAND OF THE LOST (all caps). The admins work on rotating shifts and they are committed to playing the game as vanilla as possible. As I write this post at about 3pm EST its at 75/127

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Anyone know what the secret to the cooking pot is? I've tried putting in more than the required ingredients, exactly the required ingredients, and everything in between. Nothing seems to actually produce the cooked recipe:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Mondian posted:

Anyone know what the secret to the cooking pot is? I've tried putting in more than the required ingredients, exactly the required ingredients, and everything in between. Nothing seems to actually produce the cooked recipe:

Click on the recipe and press the use button?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Can't remote use the recipe. You're supposed to just put the stuff in and turn on the cookpot and have it work itself like the forge.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

You have made a powerful enemy this day.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

First time I played this I got hacked down by a guy wielding a stone axe. Fun times!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Mondian posted:

Put the recipe item in the pot with the ingredients. It also takes a while.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a poop button

GOTY 2015

you can literally eat poo poo and die, it was made for us

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Now I don't feel bad for capping you in the head and stealing your underwater loot :v:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Put the recipe item in the pot with the ingredients. It also takes a while.

It's right there in the screenshot, man. It supposedly takes 3 wood worth of cooking time and I let it burn 5 sparkpowders, which last quite a bit longer. Even tried with wood and pulled the charcoal as it formed and still nothing.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Does this game run like poo poo still? I got on today and can play at medium instead of low, which is pretty good. Not sure if that's normal for my specs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

vandalism posted:

Does this game run like poo poo still? I got on today and can play at medium instead of low, which is pretty good. Not sure if that's normal for my specs.

Game runs good if turn like everything down. But once you see epic shadows and epic view distance with maxed out resolution scale, you can't go back.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Taming reference guide:

Also, this is a cool picture:

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

Taming reference guide:

Also, this is a cool picture:

Saw these on reddit earlier. The map is pretty cool.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can we build our next base inside the volcano?

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Taming a T-rex, giving it 8000 hp and +600% melee damage is pretty much cheating at this point. There are literally nothing wild dinosaurs can do to even dent it's health and none of the tribes on my server are being allowed to progress to the point where they could actually deal with a monster like that. I almost feel bad. Almost.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Taming reference guide:

All my tamed scorpions eat and were tamed with spoiled meat. My anklyosaurus took about an hour an a half to tame and my mammoth took two hour flat for a level 5 one.

This guide is off and the level of the dino is more a major part more than what the dino actually is.

BULBASAUR posted:

Can we build our next base inside the volcano?

If you don't think they are gonna make that volcano erupt in the near future in some flash patch then you are a crazy person. They already have the lava in some of the caves. This dev team is batshit insane in speed. This game took them six months to put togeather and they got a lead dev that openly told unreal techs that they rewrote parts of their engine visual tech to be ready for the next direct x that he was on the team for at microsoft AND the hololense team.

I saw that super great spot on top of the volcano change slightly twice now with obsidian spawns and rock locations. I swear they are doing something with that area so I am not building a main base up there.

Edit: Here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=505fJowe6Tw
Skip forward a bit till they start the interview.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 15, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have never played a survival game in any sense, unless you count Minecraft :v:. What is the ultimate goal, if there is one, of this sort of game? Is it pretty much a sandbox once you've worked your way past getting eaten/starving/whatever? I gather you can ride dinos to eat other nerds, which sounds pretty neat, but what other buckets and spades are there if this is indeed a sandbox?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 15, 2015

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
edit: ^^^^^ so right now the endgame isn't really fleshed out, but ATM you can ultimately summon a big baddie boss monster to slaughter and receive a Steam 'cheevo (only two to get so far, both super loving hard). More is planned, I believe much more, but on the PvP servers there's enough poo poo to do with player-generated goals (OK, trained the T-Rex, now let's go kill these entrenched motherfuckers next!) that even getting around to summoning the boss is a supremely rare event. On official servers the number of tribes that have completed it is probably in the single digits.

Holy poo poo the next patch, just take a look at some of this (edit - bolds are mine):

quote:

Upcoming Version: 175.0
- Tribe Governance Options: Presets: Communism, Capitalism, Libertarianism, and everything in between via total customizable property, dino, & structure sharing settings. Trive Manager now has "Government" options which can (currently) only be set upon creation of the Tribe. When you are invited to a Tribe, you can now view the Tribe's governance options in the Activation menu before deciding whether to join. If you wish to change this afterwards, Merge the Tribe into a new Tribe.
- Improved perf on GPU particles
- Dinos now take fall damage properly
- Better dino following logic
- Oxygen Enhancing stew is now twice as powerful
- Rockets now have gravity and drop over time, no more infinite range rocket shots
- Crops now grow at 2x speed
- High-level surface supply crates now only give blueprints, was too OP for them to give fully-crafted items
- Piranhas now spawn in larget groups
- Megalodons can't beach anymore
- Fixed a PhysX crash
- New: Craftable Headlamp item
- You can now access patch notes from within the game :)
- Environmental Resources now replenish twice as quickly and less range required away from human structures
- You can now 'Drop All Items' from remote inventories, which drops them onto the floor
- You can now press 'D' when highlighting an item in Inventory to drop it, you can also press Ctrl-D-Num to instantly drop a slotbar item. Power-users!!!!
- Behemoth gate can now be built on non-flat ground, and all dinos can now move through Dino Gate properly now.
- Ladder Climbing can properly be activated from above in all cases now.
- Added "Go Aggressive" and "Go Neutral" ranged whistle commands. "Go Neutral" also clears aggro, so is good for quickly recalling your dinos from an attack.

Hoo boy... also, note it says "surface" supply crates.

I really wish I wasn't going to be traveling all week.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 15, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Holy poo poo the next patch, just take a look at some of this (edit - bolds are mine):

Hoo boy... also, note it says "surface" supply crates.

I really wish I wasn't going to be traveling all week.

These developers have been goddamn amazing so far. If they keep this up... I'm really impressed.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

These developers have been goddamn amazing so far. If they keep this up... I'm really impressed.

SIX MONTHS

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

According to that video, they are planning full retail release beginning of next year. That is staggering. And not just pc, but xbone and ps4 as well.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Current feature wishlist:

1. Let me stay on the Pteranodon when it lands and regains stamina, jeez. Am I supposed to get off of it for balance reasons or something like that?

That's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I like the high level supply drops only having blueprints, that puts a nice limiter on some of the endgame poo poo. But I'd like them to go further and remove all the weapon engrams above pistol and make them a one-use or more blueprint. If they also make supply drops completely random and not in pre-set spots (or increase the spots 10x so they don't always drop in the same place) that would make broken endgame poo poo a lot more managable. Make the T-Rex saddle only obtainable from cave supply chests and we're golden.

poo poo like this is also way cool and I want some way to make tree's permanent and non-choppable so the aesthetic can stay (or have high hitpoints).