Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grimwit posted:

KillHour, I can't get enough of this. This is beautiful and honestly makes me want to crank up Dwarf Fortress to try out Adventure Mode.

Screw mighty feats of heroism, just trying to survive in DF has hilarious results.

Don't worry, we've got those, too!

Part 5: Getting our hands dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Soooo, uh, you just killed what's pretty much the ultimate evil of Lord of the Rings. . . What the hell is the post game content in this game? Do you fight the Valar next? Conquer the world? Kill Eru Iluvatar? :psyduck:

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010
Let's Play Doom: The Roguelike

Ultra-Violence difficulty, Angel of Impatience attempts
Episode AoI 3: No Time To Ration my Ammo

With enough gun and ammo to defeat the final boss and only a bit more, I carefully work my way around and through groups of powerful enemies on the final stretch.

Now that I've shown off every weapon I'll probably do a few more hard and/or interesting challenges and call it a day.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

So, uh, what happens if you manage to grab someone by the back teeth?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

God I forgot how awesome DF's combat is in adventure mode, gonna have to boot it up again. I don't recall if you mentioned, but which tileset are you using? A link to the ASCII-alike where the letters look like animals would be cool too.

Obviously get your necromancer on.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Roonerspism posted:

Let's Play Doom: The Roguelike

Ultra-Violence difficulty, Angel of Impatience attempts

Great run!

You entered Dis with invincibility and a nuclear plasma rifle, weren't tempted for a full win?

The unique item might have been armor equipped to something, or under something like you thought. They can't generally be destroyed, though I'm not sure what happens if dropped in liquid.

Maybe try some of the more oddball master traits next, like Sharpshooter / Malicious Blades / Entrenchment (sensing a theme... Technician is weird). Or 100% Archangel of 666 on Nightmare :). I'll be happy with any DoomRL you care to show.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I remember when Toady switched DF over to the layered bone/muscle/fat/skin and organs system with blood loss and stuff. Since things no longer had an upper capacity for trauma short of blood loss and dismemberment, the undead were terrifying. The best way to "kill" a skeleton or zombie was to isolate it and the grapple with it. You then systematically broke each of its limbs, neck etc. so then you could safely dismember it. This got your throat ripped out by bites on a regular basis. :iit:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

I remember when Toady switched DF over to the layered bone/muscle/fat/skin and organs system with blood loss and stuff. Since things no longer had an upper capacity for trauma short of blood loss and dismemberment, the undead were terrifying. The best way to "kill" a skeleton or zombie was to isolate it and the grapple with it. You then systematically broke each of its limbs, neck etc. so then you could safely dismember it. This got your throat ripped out by bites on a regular basis. :iit:

the best part is that one standard undead ~= in strength to a legendary dwarf in full battle raiment

and theres necromancer towers with like 100+ undead, if you're an adventurer you can ignore them but if you're in fort mode you're boned

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Dreggon posted:

the best part is that one standard undead ~= in strength to a legendary dwarf in full battle raiment

and theres necromancer towers with like 100+ undead, if you're an adventurer you can ignore them but if you're in fort mode you're boned

I thought things like the undead had a hp pool now so there was only so much they could take.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

KillHour posted:

Spasm of the Void!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mzbundifund posted:

If I recall correctly, the "permanently cursed" flag on Morgoth's Massive Crown means you can never take it off under any circumstances, right? ...I wonder if some of those fancy traps of flinging-your-items-all-over-the-place could do it. Doesn't it weigh a bajillion arbitrary weight units as well?

It's not too heavy (only 2 pounds; I guess it's made out of foamed iron or something), but yeah, once it's equipped it's not coming off under any circumstances. Traps won't remove it either; that's the one good thing about cursed gear. Mind, you almost certainly won't ever want to remove it.

ousire posted:

Soooo, uh, you just killed what's pretty much the ultimate evil of Lord of the Rings. . . What the hell is the post game content in this game? Do you fight the Valar next? Conquer the world? Kill Eru Iluvatar? :psyduck:

You'll see soon enough. It's simultaneously really dumb and pretty awesome.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Part 1 - The Excommunication of Big Ick

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Wow, Savage mode throws a fair bit more at you even in the starter dungeon.

I'm a huge fan of Pumpkin Bombs; they're an AoE attack and they've often saved me from taking hits. The 2 stamina cost is readily re-acquired, considering that they very often hit at least two enemies. Seems like Scarecrow is important for large-scale crowd control on Savage, but I'd definitely take Pumpkin Bomb over Pitch Fork.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Pumpkins and scarecrow are my go to skills for the farmer, though the latter needs all three levels to become godly. Bombs already is cost efficient from one point and helps immensely during Savage mode. Nothing like constant explosions keeping your stamina maxed out for using your ult if hp drops too low.

Farmer is one of the classes that can pretty much coast through Savage without being screwed by RNG

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

KillHour posted:

Center of the earth after getting a full set of bronze or better armor and weapons.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I guess I just have a different playstyle then :shrug:

I mean, I see the value in pumpkins, but I usually prefer to spend stamina when I have to vs preparing ahead of time. Usually, that means Scarecrow them away when my melee fails and pelt them with Pitch Forks as they run/fight each other. In that regard, pumpkins just land in the wrong spots for me when I end up trying to use them offensively and in the moment, so they cost too much for what I try to do with them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A common use case for me when I last played was that I have two enemies moving up towards me, and they'll both reach melee range at the same time. By putting a pumpkin bomb in front of one of them, I can attack both of them at the same time.

But hey, you're the player here. I will say that I find Sproggiwood does a great job of rewarding players who do more than just bump-combat their way through the game. Stamina refills are plentiful enough that you should be using your abilities frequently.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, I'm not going to bash pitchforks because I haven't tried to build around it. And there's certainly creative uses built into some of the items.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dirk the Average posted:

Crawl has wizard mode, which is basically the same thing.

Crawl also has explore mode, as of the last version of the game!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you grab stamina stars from spawned-in enemies, or do thy give absolutely nothing?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

Do you grab stamina stars from spawned-in enemies, or do thy give absolutely nothing?

They still give stamina, just no experience/money. With Cornucopia, the Farmer can use monster spawners (like the spider nests) to heal himself; other classes can at least recover their stamina if it's depleted.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Glazius posted:

As of last version I played spawned in enemies still gave stars.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Crawl also has explore mode, as of the last version of the game!

Whaaaaat?!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hit '+'. (Not sure if it's numpad or numrow plus.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lprsti99 posted:

God I forgot how awesome DF's combat is in adventure mode, gonna have to boot it up again. I don't recall if you mentioned, but which tileset are you using? A link to the ASCII-alike where the letters look like animals would be cool too.

Obviously get your necromancer on.

Speleothing posted:

Center of the earth after getting a full set of bronze or better armor and weapons.

I'm going to let the voting go on until tomorrow evening. If there's still a tie, I will choose arbitrarily and unfairly. :colbert:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Hit '+'. (Not sure if it's numpad or numrow plus.)

Not in webtiles, doesn't count.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

KillHour posted:

I'm going to let the voting go on until tomorrow evening. If there's still a tie, I will choose arbitrarily and unfairly. :colbert:

The only way you are going to survive this type of nightmarish combat against a real enemy is to raise an undead army, starting with Fikod.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'd like to see some Whizkid assemblies shown off, what mode is most conducive to that?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Angel of 100, played as a Technician with Scavenger. :getin: I give it a try every so often but I always eventually lose concentration and start loving up. Death follows shortly thereafter.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

KillHour posted:

Necromancy sounds like it'd be more interesting. Do that.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

pumpinglemma posted:

Angel of 100, played as a Technician with Scavenger. :getin: I give it a try every so often but I always eventually lose concentration and start loving up. Death follows shortly thereafter.

I like that Scavenger only blocks second tier traits.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

KillHour posted:

You are going to build an undead army. Bonus points for making yourself undead as well.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 3 - I blame Linus Torvalds

:ohdear:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ADOM Ultra-Ending Attempts Episode 5

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So are 2x2 squares really the best possible approach for herbs? It seems like you could do fancy stuff like making glider guns or similar.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

KillHour posted:

In the middle of combat there you went unconscious for a bit while biting the poo poo out of a kobold's arm. I couldn't tell why though. Did your dude pass out from exhaustion or did I miss the kobold strangling you?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

So are 2x2 squares really the best possible approach for herbs? It seems like you could do fancy stuff like making glider guns or similar.

Theoretically, it would be possible to make something like that in ADOM, but practically speaking each generation takes a couple dozen turns of waiting, on most levels there just won't be any rooms big enough to build something that fancy, and a lot of things that large are kind of fragile and it's easy to accidentally pick a bush to death. The herb you get from a bush depends on the row the bush is on; 2x2 blocks give consistent output, grow quickly, are easy to make, and are hardy enough that if you accidentally overpick something, it'll grow back as long as you leave the rest of it alone.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Pvt.Scott posted:

In the middle of combat there you went unconscious for a bit while biting the poo poo out of a kobold's arm. I couldn't tell why though. Did your dude pass out from exhaustion or did I miss the kobold strangling you?

'X(you, enemy, etc) gives in to pain.' means that the character passes out from the pain of a wound. So the kobold biting the neck and bruising the fat is likely what caused the blacking out.

Stay away from anything with hooves.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

If you ever get DredmorRL to half the quality of DoomRL, I'll probably sink sixty hours into it.

Nothing I have written is anywhere near the scope or quality of DoomRL. :( And I have almost no time for programming these days anyways.

But it's joined the set of project ideas I have percolating in the back of my mind that I might work on if I ever win the lottery or something. (First question: do I write it as a TE4 module, or roll my own engine?)

pumpinglemma posted:

I recently finished an Ao100 100% kills HMP Scavenger run, I just haven't had time to sit down and write it up yet. (Spoilers: Scavenger is nearly useless and would be completely useless if the RNG didn't hate me more than usual on this run.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That's been my experience with Scavenger. It's a neat perk in theory, but in practice it's usually kind of useless, and even when you luck out and it lets you score some cool mods, it's still just kind of nice as opposed to the Really Powerful game-changing abilities granted by the other capstone perks. Now, if Scavenger somehow let you generate more ammo from disassembling weapons, that might actually be kind of badass - having tons of mods, the ability to recover mods, AND the ability to convert extra weapons into a significant stockpile of ammunition would be pretty great for sustainability and might actually make that a solid perk for someone who plays carefully and conserves their health well. Go ahead, spam those rockets! Use that Firestorm-modified Vulcan burst cannon! You can just make more goddamn bullets!! You are a mad god of crafting and the demons will perish before the might of your artifice!!! :supaburn:

Other perks would probably still be somewhat better, but at least then Scavenger would have a consistent (and quite nice) use throughout the game that synergized really well with any wonky assemblies you bodged together if you couldn't find the mods needed for an infinitely sustainable nano-weapon.

• Locked thread