Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

But I'd like them to go further and remove all the weapon engrams above pistol and make them a one-use or more blueprint.......Make the T-Rex saddle only obtainable from cave supply chests and we're golden.

Hahahaha...........no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I kind of agree on making the blueprints limited run use.... the better the blueprint (higher tier), the lower the amount of runs.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I don't mind blueprints being unlimited use as long as you physically own a copy, since they can be stolen and destroyed. It adds an extra element to raiding/defending when you know how valuable the high level blueprints can be.

Off topic, but how are you guys finding a steady supply of oil? Is it *only* found in underwater caves? If that's the case, is the *only* reliable way to come and go from underwater caves a tamed and buffed up Megaladon? I'm level 60 now with all sorts of advanced tech, but I've yet to find a patch of oil or mine any from underwater rocks. It's a really frustrating bottleneck.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I am excited that the high-end drops will be bp only. That means people will still be relatively balanced against each other in term of what they have. I wonder if the few RPG using people we have met on 40 were actually using drop ones instead of crafted.

Also, New pubbies tears and it isn't us that created it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820656457126995/

I wonder if this guy would have felt different if he had logged in to find himself in prison instead.

Edit: oh, and if there is ever a server wipe or we switch to a different server with a new map, I will be getting an anklyo tamed as soon as the saddle can be made. Just skip trikes and stegos.
1 point melee is worth 25% points
1 point in health is worth 220 hp

I didn't pay much attention to run speed, but mine is up to a respectable 170. Along with the 175 stam it came with, the thing is pretty self defendable from melee. Also, the attacks have a knockback component making it more difficult.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 15, 2015

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Welp, last night my 4-Trike murder squad just decided to aggro on a shark while I wasn't in game and drown. Not set to aggressive or anything either. Paddocks are a good thing I'm thinking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Demiurge4 posted:

I like the high level supply drops only having blueprints, that puts a nice limiter on some of the endgame poo poo. But I'd like them to go further and remove all the weapon engrams above pistol and make them a one-use or more blueprint. If they also make supply drops completely random and not in pre-set spots (or increase the spots 10x so they don't always drop in the same place) that would make broken endgame poo poo a lot more managable. Make the T-Rex saddle only obtainable from cave supply chests and we're golden.

poo poo like this is also way cool and I want some way to make tree's permanent and non-choppable so the aesthetic can stay (or have high hitpoints).

That's super cool

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So that LAND OF THE LOST server hit 127 last night. It got laggy but it never approached the lagginess of the official servers. I think this is as close to a vanilla 127 cap server as you are ever going to get. There's people everywhere. Tribes with bases right on the beach.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I want a Mad Max mod so bad so that we can have servers with the bullet farm, the citadel and gastown all battling it out. could be tough to adapt the training mechanic to cars, though

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Efexeye posted:

could be tough to adapt the training mechanic to cars, though

Push a car over onto its back and feed it gas for four hours in small intervals at a time. If the car starts to overheat you can pee in its radiator.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wait, this has only been in development for six months? I have cheese that is older than that.
Holy gently caress these devs are amazing. I'm so glad I spent money on it.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

My best moments on Offical 40 so far have been loving around with the Argentavis. Some guy in chat was crying that he was getting mauled by some wild spino so i asked if he needed help and que the fun, He told me exactly where he was so me and kabouki decided to go gently caress with him. I sniped his buddy who was right infront of us and then i hopped on my bird and decided i would have my fun. I would dive down on him and right before i would attack i would yell kaw-kaw through proximity chat and then kill him. I managed to do this like 5 times and oh boy, the rage in chat was just simply the best.

People in the tribe were asking if it was me doing that because of how long it was going on for. Everytime i did it and he pinged up in chat mumble erupted into laughter. Towards the end of our fun kabouki picked him up on his ptereadon and dropped him infront of the spino nearby. There were roughly 9 loot bags on the ground from where this guy had been killed. The highlight though was when everyone just started making bird jokes to this guy. tumblr hottie managed to get the blame for it all even though he was nowhere near the scene.

Overall 10/10 GOTY right here.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Prophecy120 posted:

I don't mind blueprints being unlimited use as long as you physically own a copy, since they can be stolen and destroyed. It adds an extra element to raiding/defending when you know how valuable the high level blueprints can be.

Off topic, but how are you guys finding a steady supply of oil? Is it *only* found in underwater caves? If that's the case, is the *only* reliable way to come and go from underwater caves a tamed and buffed up Megaladon? I'm level 60 now with all sorts of advanced tech, but I've yet to find a patch of oil or mine any from underwater rocks. It's a really frustrating bottleneck.

You need a tonne of points into oxygen to have any hope of doing any significant oil mining, even with a mega. It increases swim speed on top of max oxygen, and at 340+ you can dodge megas by swimming up or down on a steep angle. Oil and pearls are found all over the ocean bed, but tend to cluster together. Underwater caves have very high concentrations of oil rocks and pearls but they only yield 0-4 oil per rock, whereas ones outside of them can give up to 12. I don't even bother with a tamed mega at this point because mega packs get ridiculously large, I spent hours swimming around finding the exact location of some of the easier to reach caves and setup beds, cabinets and metal picks in a bunch of them. I spawn down there every few hours to harvest all the rocks inside and around the outside of the cave, then stockpile it until it's worth bringing it up to land. A tribemate with a flyer meets me at each cave and hauls it all back safely.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
So dyes. Berries + Container with water (waterskin) + Charcoal + Cooking fire = Dye. What I didn't know was you can mix berries for more colors. Red berry + Yellow for orange dye, for instance.

Probably already common knowledge, but for those that didn't know!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I know this game's island is pre-genned rather than procedural but is the island itself filled with cool poo poo? One of the things I loved about Terraria/Minecraft was having to make/explore huge cave systems, with the best stuff being really far down, and that as you went further afield in the world you found cooler stuff like the Terraria giant underground temple, or the Minecraft alternate-dimension-thing. Is anything like that in or planned for the game? I like everything else about it but I've been burned by this genre too many times to click Buy so quickly.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I explored a cave in a local server just to check it out and was actually pretty impressed with the scale. I believe there have also been some rumors of some kind of hidden area somewhere on the map. Things are kind of a bitch to find even ghosting around a local server with slomo jacked up, the way rocks and props are just layered inside of one another along with low draw distance meaning the rocks only pop into view once you are quite close.

I searched a bit for these underwater caves as well but only found something like an underwater rock formation. I guess you could call it a cave but it wasn't poo poo compared to the surface cave. Are there underwater caves that are comparable to the surface ones? Basically I'm dreaming of an air filled chamber somewhere underwater but I haven't seen anything like it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Might be meaning the place that is literally called "The Hidden Lake" ingame.

Island is full of cool poo poo, not counting whatever crazy poo poo people build. There is a bunch of cave systems but I haven't been in there yet. The surface isn't lacking in detail either. though!

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Underwater caves are supposed to have air filled chambers from what I've read. Haven't had a chance to find one.

Also the devs mentioned there is a "hidden valley" somewhere on the map. Some of us think it's some kind of subterranean "Journey to the Center of the Earth" kind of thing.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

lilspooky posted:

Underwater caves are supposed to have air filled chambers from what I've read. Haven't had a chance to find one.

Also the devs mentioned there is a "hidden valley" somewhere on the map. Some of us think it's some kind of subterranean "Journey to the Center of the Earth" kind of thing.

Here is the one I farm in. The ones I have been in are normally not that big. This is the entire cave. Right behind me is the water pool I came up from.

The dive down to most underwater caves without the food is about 260+ oxygen as well as diving down halfway a few times to kite the sharks up to the beach where you can fight and clear some of them out. Without the food you are going to be doing a one way dive so you best have your poo poo straight about where abouts the underwater cave is at and how much health for overtime you got. Keep an eye out for the bubbles and you should make it.

Also I wonder if this counts for the hidden lake. I totally found this air pocket under a lake but it would be super lame to build under there and totally unfun.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlR0LhugIUU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Efexeye posted:

I want a Mad Max mod so bad so that we can have servers with the bullet farm, the citadel and gastown all battling it out. could be tough to adapt the training mechanic to cars, though

I would really, really like a mad max mmo. and if it wasn't a bad game? hell that'd be even better.

ARK does run like piss and I have a 970gtx, i'm assuming that will all be worked out with optimization though

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 15, 2015

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Stoic Commie posted:

I would really, really like a mad max mmo. and if it wasn't a bad game? hell that'd be even better.

ARK does run like piss and I have a 970gtx, i'm assuming that will all be worked out with optimization though

Im on a crufty GT740 and it runs pretty sweet for me on a combination of medium and high settings.

assemblyrequired
Jul 14, 2014

Wish there was a way for goons without mics (and therefore without mumble) to signal that we're goons without literally saying that, you know how pubs are
Just something innocuous.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pierson posted:

I know this game's island is pre-genned rather than procedural but is the island itself filled with cool poo poo? One of the things I loved about Terraria/Minecraft was having to make/explore huge cave systems, with the best stuff being really far down, and that as you went further afield in the world you found cooler stuff like the Terraria giant underground temple, or the Minecraft alternate-dimension-thing. Is anything like that in or planned for the game? I like everything else about it but I've been burned by this genre too many times to click Buy so quickly.

Get this game, dude. It's everything I've ever wished Minecraft could be. If you've ever wandered around Minecraft just looking for cool stuff to look at, buy this drat game. Here's my Screenshot Gallery. These are pictures that I took as I was playing the game and suddenly noticed in was a place that looked really cool so I decided to take a screenshot. All of the screenshots are roughly in the southeast corner of the island, because I haven't ventured much farther than that.The island is pre-genned but all the stuff ON the island, like rock formations and forests, are generated. I've been the same exact area on several different servers and it looks completely different but still recognizable. I loved Minecraft but this makes Minecraft look like a pile of poo poo. Minecraft is like, the SNES version of ARK.

Things Minecraft does better than ARK:

-World is technically endless, but it's mostly empty space with nothing in it.
-You can dig. I would love to be able to bury my stuff in ARK.
-There are more tiers of buildings and stuff (ARK currently has Thatch, Wood, and Metal, but there will be more)
-It's easier to build an aesthetically pleasing home in Minecraft
-Minecraft has water physics
-Redstone I guess? I never hosed with it

That's all I can think of, and I was trying really hard to give Minecraft the benefit of the doubt. I have been playing ARK for well over 80 hours and I have barely scratched the surface of it. There are players that have poopsocked their way to the 'endgame' but gently caress those dudes. When GTA 5 came out it became my favorite game ever to just explore poo poo in. Now that I have played this, ARK is now my favorite exploration game. I will not be buying any survival games in the future because there's no way it's going to top ARK. Rust, Reign of Kings, DayZ, H1Z1, all of 'em, gently caress 'em. They might as well start packing up their poo poo. Every single one of those games is going to reach a retail 1.0 release and it will have a fraction of the amount of content ARK had during its Early Access release. There's so loving much to do. Also, notice that pretty much everyone is going to agree with my post I think and there will be very few dissenting opinions, if any. I don't think I've read anything severely negative about ARK other than the fact that some peoples computers cant run it very well.

assemblyrequired posted:

Wish there was a way for goons without mics (and therefore without mumble) to signal that we're goons without literally saying that, you know how pubs are
Just something innocuous.

Voice proximity chat will still work. I'm 90% certain that people aren't going out of their way to target goons. Barely anyone has even mentioned the word goon. The fact that you can change your tribe name at seemingly any time makes it hard to keep track of people.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 15, 2015

assemblyrequired
Jul 14, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Voice proximity chat will still work. I'm 90% certain that people aren't going out of their way to target goons. Barely anyone has even mentioned the word goon. The fact that you can change your tribe name at seemingly any time makes it hard to keep track of people.
Right, but that requires a mic which I don't have :V
All I meant by not mentioning goon was that I didn't want to be the reason for terrible pubs getting into our glorious poop sanctuary

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Get this game, dude. It's everything I've ever wished Minecraft could be. If you've ever wandered around Minecraft just looking for cool stuff to look at, buy this drat game. Here's my Screenshot Gallery. These are pictures that I took as I was playing the game and suddenly noticed in was a place that looked really cool so I decided to take a screenshot. All of the screenshots are roughly in the southeast corner of the island, because I haven't ventured much farther than that.The island is pre-genned but all the stuff ON the island, like rock formations and forests, are generated. I've been the same exact area on several different servers and it looks completely different but still recognizable. I loved Minecraft but this makes Minecraft look like a pile of poo poo. Minecraft is like, the SNES version of ARK.

Things Minecraft does better than ARK:

-World is technically endless, but it's mostly empty space with nothing in it.
-You can dig. I would love to be able to bury my stuff in ARK.
-There are more tiers of buildings and stuff (ARK currently has Thatch, Wood, and Metal, but there will be more)
-It's easier to build an aesthetically pleasing home in Minecraft
-Minecraft has water physics
-Redstone I guess? I never hosed with it

That's all I can think of, and I was trying really hard to give Minecraft the benefit of the doubt. I have been playing ARK for well over 80 hours and I have barely scratched the surface of it. There are players that have poopsocked their way to the 'endgame' but gently caress those dudes. When GTA 5 came out it became my favorite game ever to just explore poo poo in. Now that I have played this, ARK is now my favorite exploration game. I will not be buying any survival games in the future because there's no way it's going to top ARK. Rust, Reign of Kings, DayZ, H1Z1, all of 'em, gently caress 'em. They might as well start packing up their poo poo. Every single one of those games is going to reach a retail 1.0 release and it will have a fraction of the amount of content ARK had during its Early Access release. There's so loving much to do. Also, notice that pretty much everyone is going to agree with my post I think and there will be very few dissenting opinions, if any. I don't think I've read anything severely negative about ARK other than the fact that some peoples computers cant run it very well.

Would I like this game if I didn't like exploring in Minecraft? I was more about building cool toys/machines/automation (usually via mods) than ever going out and exploring or digging. :shrug:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

assemblyrequired posted:

Wish there was a way for goons without mics (and therefore without mumble) to signal that we're goons without literally saying that, you know how pubs are. Just something innocuous.
Get in Mumble anyhow and use the chat? You don't need a mic just for that.

assemblyrequired
Jul 14, 2014

Jackard posted:

Get in Mumble anyhow and use the chat? You don't need a mic just for that.

Well then thanks, I didn't even realize.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

To be honest the craftings a bit underwhelming, though I'm only level 10 or 11 and I gather theres some pretty awesome stuff later on. What I do like however is this games infinite capacity to enable my inner douchebag to run wild.

Had a bunch of dudes set up on the cliff over where me and my buddy where set up. THIS WILL NOT DO. And since they where all 5-6 levels ahead of us, I discovered a better way. Me and my buddy found out where a Carno was running amok nearby, so we agroed it, and kited it all the way back to this camp, wherein it proceeded to agro on the dudes there and then whilst we bugged out, it tore these guys to bits and then smashed up their hut. Flawless victory.

Later we found them asleep in a lovely thatch hut, so we hacked the walls down, and dragged them back to the river for a good drowning. If they come back again, our next trick is to build a retard jail for them, and force feed them narcoberries and food so they wont die and cant run away.

gently caress those guys. My beach!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm getting the impression that this game is not for me, then. Especially because I'm not exactly a social animal and prefer playing games alone. :(

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Ciaphas posted:

Would I like this game if I didn't like exploring in Minecraft? I was more about building cool toys/machines/automation (usually via mods) than ever going out and exploring or digging. :shrug:

There's not much to automate (at this point in time). The most you could do would be to set up an irrigation system to draw water from somewhere to keep your farm plots watered, but even that obligates you to spend a bunch of time gathering resources.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
If you have a building on a cliff can you extend it by making wood pillars? Do they connect to foundations or ceilings?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I'm getting the impression that this game is not for me, then. Especially because I'm not exactly a social animal and prefer playing games alone. :(

I suppose you could grind your way up to having a T-Rex and then setting up a crazy loner castle and murderizing all near by life including other players with it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ciaphas posted:

You can build separately but you need allies on official pvp servers.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This is a team from EA, with about 40 technical staff. Is that right?

Compared to even a veteran like Garry from Rust.. isn't this a far more professional venture?

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Some guy knocked me out with a catapult and had so much fun pooping in my head and lying on the ground to simulate some weird sex stuff that I had time to get back to my feet and stab him through the heart.

I love this game.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

This is a team from EA, with about 40 technical staff. Is that right?

Compared to even a veteran like Garry from Rust.. isn't this a far more professional venture?

Bingo. It's the main reason they're actually accomplishing stuff unlike every other survival game out there.

Gary is an rear end in a top hat as well.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

lilspooky posted:

Gary is an rear end in a top hat

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
New dossier out, gonna get the mammal version of a Bronto (I will maintain that it will be better solely based on being fuzzier than the Bronto regardless of size, stats, or usability). (edit: Paracer has rhino skin, which is an epic disappointment. I retract my declaration and shall continue to wait until I can get another fuzzy pet to pal along with Mr. Sabertooth, Mrs. Mammoth, and my puppy Dilos that are always going to be loving fuzzy in my mind, dammit!)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820656459186281/

Also dropped a potential spoiler referring to a "surprise... yet in store for me" regarding any mammal larger than Mr. Paraceratherium. A cursory skim of Google tells me that Paracer is the largest mammal in history to actually exist at some point, so... King Kong, anyone?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jackard posted:

You can build separately but you need allies on official pvp servers.

Fair enough. Sounds like the pve content here is... I'm not gonna say lacking, that's not the right word, but the pvp I guess is the meaningful content here?

Maybe I'll look into it anyway, $30 is in my gently caress-it range and dinosaurs :hellyeah:, I just want to go in with realistic ideas of what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's $25, just buy it and come to your own conclusion.