Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The movies aren't in chronological order either, just to make things worse.

I knew that much going in.

Movie 3 looks pretty hype, I hope there's more cool fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think the subtext of movie 2 is that getting friendzoned is dangerous

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Movie 3 is really dark.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 15, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've never seen KnK but I have been assured that Ryougi is the most Shiki.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh wait if shiki is speaking like a guy then girl shiki must have been evil shiki

Also movie 3 was good

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Movie 3 is very dark and very good. A person I've watched the movies with didn't really get Shiki's character until Movie 4, so have fun there.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will tomorrow, but it's too late for more today

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

there's not enough arcueid x burger fanart

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Ryougi Shiki best Shiki. Also watch Mirai Fukuin if you're on a KnK roll, has some interesting stories and introduces Shiki's spawn.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Perhaps it was my runner's high talking to my addled brain, but I - weirdly only now - thought that in UBW Gilgamesh is kind of the other side of the coin that is called insanity for Shirou. I mean, I remember (Not sure if from F/Z or the UBW part of the VN) Gilgamesh wants to cull mankind because it's too numerous and "people lack purpose". But I just viewed it as an independent goal that kind of follows his internal logic, if completely insane one. I also knew that Shirou was kind of broken with the "save all mentality" but it never kind of clicked as strong as in the anime where Shirou is shown with eyes screaming of crazy when Rin admonishes him for his motivations.

Shirou wants to save all, not only the ones close to him, while Gilgamesh essentially wants to doom all, not only those who stand in his way. Both seem absolutely crazy from Rin's point of view. I'd go as far to say Shirou was corrupted by Kiritsugu's ideal whereas Gilgamesh was corrupted by the grail/angra mayu/w/e but I remember discussion (in this very thread?) that nah, Gilgamesh wasn't affected by the sludge - And he doesn't seem any more sane in F/Z than he is in F/SN.

I don't know why this never struck me earlier, perhaps it's partly due to the fact I don't view Gilgamesh as a central antagonist or anything. Shirou just happens to be a mook that happens to stand in his way, Gilgamesh merely views Shirou beneath him. (Honestly I was about to just say Gilgamesh happens to be a GLORIOUS mook that happens to conflict with Shirou's world view).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dessel posted:

Perhaps it was my runner's high talking to my addled brain, but I - weirdly only now - thought that in UBW Gilgamesh is kind of the other side of the coin that is called insanity for Shirou. I mean, I remember (Not sure if from F/Z or the UBW part of the VN) Gilgamesh wants to cull mankind because it's too numerous and "people lack purpose". But I just viewed it as an independent goal that kind of follows his internal logic, if completely insane one. I also knew that Shirou was kind of broken with the "save all mentality" but it never kind of clicked as strong as in the anime where Shirou is shown with eyes screaming of crazy when Rin admonishes him for his motivations.

Shirou wants to save all, not only the ones close to him, while Gilgamesh essentially wants to doom all, not only those who stand in his way. Both seem absolutely crazy from Rin's point of view. I'd go as far to say Shirou was corrupted by Kiritsugu's ideal whereas Gilgamesh was corrupted by the grail/angra mayu/w/e but I remember discussion (in this very thread?) that nah, Gilgamesh wasn't affected by the sludge - And he doesn't seem any more sane in F/Z than he is in F/SN.

I don't know why this never struck me earlier, perhaps it's partly due to the fact I don't view Gilgamesh as a central antagonist or anything. Shirou just happens to be a mook that happens to stand in his way, Gilgamesh merely views Shirou beneath him. (Honestly I was about to just say Gilgamesh happens to be a GLORIOUS mook that happens to conflict with Shirou's world view).

The problem with this is that Gilgamesh doesn't want to doom all. His actions will, in practice, end up dooming the vast majority, but his actual goal is to cull the weak so that he can rule over the strong/"worthy".

I have a feeling that part of why he comes off as more evil in F/SN than in F/Zero is because, in F/Zero, there are a number of characters that he still respects (as opposed to the 5th grail war where he seems to think that literally every other master and servant, barring maybe Saber, is trash) and he hasn't yet had a chance to spend 10 years mulling over how easy modern-day humans supposedly have it.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
By the way, looks like the fate stay night game (Saber route) is free in Japanese on your phone until the end of June.

http://www.fate-sn.jp/sp/

Apocron fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 18, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Weird question - is the Jeweled Sword from Heaven's Feel a Noble Phantasm?

How do they eve determine what is a noble phantasm anyways?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No, the Jeweled Sword is a Mystic Code, Zelretch's work.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Weird question - is the Jeweled Sword from Heaven's Feel a Noble Phantasm?

How do they eve determine what is a noble phantasm anyways?

Gem Sword Zelretch is Zelretch's Mystic Code- like Kiritsugu's Thompson Contender and origin bullets or Tokiomi's jewelled staff.

Noble Phantasms, like Heroic Spirits are embodiments of legends, so Zelretch cannot be one- it's not famous, and neither is its owner and creator.

Bazett's Fragarach is somewhat unique in that it's both her Mystic Code and a Noble Phantasm.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I believe Bazett is the only known instance of a "modern" NP user.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Further evidence of Bazett's superiority.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There's also Gray, who has Arturia's spear for some reason.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh hey, someone finally translated the first chapter of the Fate/Hollow Ataraxia manga into English

http://www.mangachapter.me/37242/fatehollow-ataraxia/1-3.html

There's like three other chapters on Batoto, but in Spanish.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Compendium posted:

Oh hey, someone finally translated the first chapter of the Fate/Hollow Ataraxia manga into English

http://www.mangachapter.me/37242/fatehollow-ataraxia/1-3.html

There's like three other chapters on Batoto, but in Spanish.
See the funny part is that if you consider Fate/Stay Night impossible to adapt because of its 3 paths being both parallel but sequential stories, I have to know people's thoughts on Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

I'm gonna have fun reading this manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The only way I can think of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia being adapted is basically just do it like Higurashi, but the big issue is that all the "filler" is actually thematically important. Course, all that filler is good anyways and any adaptation that tries to take itself seriously is a bad adaptation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fate/Extra CCC is pretty interesting so far but the whole "Phoenix Wright except with emotionally abusing teenage girls" thing after the boss fights is kind of bizarre. The Gilgamesh content has been pretty great so far, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twiddy posted:

See the funny part is that if you consider Fate/Stay Night impossible to adapt because of its 3 paths being both parallel but sequential stories, I have to know people's thoughts on Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

Slice of life stories with a Time Loop framing device isn't near as tough.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Slice of life stories with a Time Loop framing device isn't near as tough.
While I don't necessarily disagree as it has definitely been done before, many times at that (you can go back to good-ol Groundhog's Day as an example if you want), you can similarly say that F/SN can be trivially done by just doing one route, then doing the second, then doing the third. The problem that emerges is that the end result is a very different feel from the original, hence bringing up specific adaptability issues. In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia's case for example, although the movie Groundhog's Day can imply a near infinite number of loops, that sense of time isn't as felt by the audience. In Fate/Hollow Ataraxia's case, you probably are playing the game for at least 20 loops, if not more, making that bridge between the implied infinite and the feeling you're getting a lot closer.

What I'm trying to say is that Endless Eight is the pinnacle of art.*

*It is not actually the pinnacle of art at all.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 22, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yo is Wavers original VA gonna voice him next UBW episode and will they put the volume hydrangeum maid because that was hella ftw.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just going to say I bet we'll see Waver next episode since there's no way the UBW True epilogue can cover 25 minutes, and technically after both Fate and UBW Rin is supposed to team up with Waver later in life to dismantle the Greater Grail.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I assume they will be animating Last Episode, because Saber sure isn't gonna get any closure in the HF movies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think that'd be unlikely, LE is almost entirely an epilogue to Fate and the relationship between Saber/Shirou. I could however see them animating briefly Saber's final moments with Bedivere to throw her a bone.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nate RFB posted:

I guess you could technically count Shirou.

The epilogue is gonna be depressing as hell. Because poor Rin basically gets permanently stuck with a humorless guy she's known for all of 2 weeks. Of course, if you take her H/A future-self telephone call seriously, I guess she doesn't mind.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 22, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Twiddy posted:

What I'm trying to say is that Endless Eight is the pinnacle of art.*

*It is not actually the pinnacle of art at all.

Don't lie

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I think that'd be unlikely, LE is almost entirely an epilogue to Fate and the relationship between Saber/Shirou. I could however see them animating briefly Saber's final moments with Bedivere to throw her a bone.

On the other hand it seems to be commonly believed that Last Episode Shirou is an Archer who manages to be "saved", so it can still fit in the context of UBW.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yo is Wavers original VA gonna voice him next UBW episode and will they put the volume hydrangeum maid because that was hella ftw.

Adult Waver has a different voice actor.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

Raenir Salazar posted:

Adult Waver has a different voice actor.

It's still Daisuke Namikawa.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I check back in on Prism Ilya after remembering it existed and the first thing I see is Sakura infused with Lancelot's class card.

And all I can think of is how hilariously perfect that concept is, on so many levels.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The guy has some cool ideas and generally makes for fun action stuff.

The problem is what often happens in between the action. :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

prism illya is garbage

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like Ko-Gil in Prisma Illya

I don't understand why there has to be so many AU Illyas though and I don't feel like bothering to find out.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

prism illya is garbage

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

prism illya is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Compendium posted:

I like Ko-Gil in Prisma Illya

I don't understand why there has to be so many AU Illyas though and I don't feel like bothering to find out.

Kid-Gil is pretty awesome and actually has a sense of humor.