Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, without getting all sperg about it 24's political leaning was more "paranoia" than "neocon". Later seasons actually dealt with the cost of torture with some degree of depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

DivisionPost posted:

GIF THAT FIRE REVEAL PLEASE

That episode was hilarious as gently caress. It just keeps getting better.

Sorry about the iffy quality on the gif. So loving good, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want Helen Mirren to finish reading Peter Rabbit.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
wrong thread

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy poo poo tat 3/5ths comment.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
John Oliver just Rickrolled us.

Wonderful.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Oh gently caress gamergate

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
NICE Carlos Danger callback!

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

NICE Carlos Danger callback!

This made me so happy

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I will never get tired of Carlos Danger.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh goddamnit. I had totally forgotten about that 1995 AOL ad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh gently caress gamergate

Oh, what a moral quandary for the Aspies: "GoT gives us glorious and gratuitous female murders and rapes to disgustingly enjoy in our own preferred and perverted ways, but they defended Anita Sarkeesian. MAN THE DDOS BATTERIES, MY BROTHERS - FOR NO ONE WILL ENJOY HBO GO THIS MONTH! Let's see your interim shows succeed *now*, muhahahaha!" *coughs and grabs their inhalers*

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 22, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I remember hearing a while ago that some GG guys were begging John Oliver to cover their crusade. So Twitter's going to be hilarious over the next 24 hours and possibly a few days beyond that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gonz posted:

Oh goddamnit. I had totally forgotten about that 1995 AOL ad.

There are so many nuggets of pure gold from that era, just so many hamfisted ways to explain the internet to people who legitimately couldn't imagine it as anything but sci-fi poo poo. What a weird time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Regardless of what you think of Sarkeesian, threatening her over her opinions is a problem. Which is all they said. I actually don't get the 3/5th joke (I'm Canadian and I've never heard the reference before), little help?

DivisionPost posted:

I remember hearing a while ago that some GG guys were begging John Oliver to cover their crusade. So Twitter's going to be hilarious over the next 24 hours and possibly a few days beyond that.

That's....not gonna work out for them.

I also loved the Danger callback.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Regardless of what you think of Sarkeesian, threatening her over her opinions is a problem. Which is all they said. I actually don't get the 3/5th joke (I'm Canadian and I've never heard the reference before), little help?

If it's the kind of 3/5ths joke I'm thinking of, it's a reference to the fact that slaves were considered 3/5ths of a person back in the day.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Fifths_Compromise

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus Christ, I'm now sorry I asked. Facts about slavery: There is always more, and it is always worse.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In the unmodified Constitution, there was a section that counted slaves as 3/5ths of a person in regards to counting population to determine the number of Represenatives a state had in the House. This allowed slaveholding states to boost their influnce in the House based on the presence of a population that weren't allowed the rights of citizens and whose interests the state did not care for.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 22, 2015

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, what a moral quandary for the Aspies: "GoT gives us glorious and gratuitous female murders and rapes to disgustingly enjoy in our own preferred and perverted ways, but they defended Anita Sarkeesian. MAN THE DDOS BATTERIES, MY BROTHERS - FOR NO ONE WILL ENJOY HBO GO THIS MONTH! Let's see your interim shows succeed *now*, muhahahaha!" *coughs and grabs their inhalers*

Haha what the gently caress is this?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DivisionPost posted:

Between that and the inevitable Scalia descent on Obergefell v. Hodges, I'm wondering if I'm going to need to find an antidote for schadenfreude poisoning.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cotato posted:

Haha what the gently caress is this?

The fact that anyone who has ever 'defended' or shown even the slightest bit of support or sympathy for Sarkeesian or any other GG-harassed woman has had their companies/workplaces angrily written to, threatened, or DDoSed as to lose them money, because god forbid anyone anger ~the rulers of the internet~. The fact that these same people are usually the type who enjoy the worst parts of the GoT books/show is *merely* a coincidence.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 22, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Solid episode and I loving loved the Carlos Danger callback. That will never get old.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If someone on John Oliver's writing staff is responsible for the Rickroll they should fire that person. If it's John Oliver responsible for it he should not do that again.

Decent episode otherwise.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.
John Oliver is one humble bastard and I love him for it.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If someone on John Oliver's writing staff is responsible for the Rickroll they should fire that person. If it's John Oliver responsible for it he should not do that again.

Decent episode otherwise.

You're just mad you got got

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Reddit is mad

But also kind of hopeful

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Reddit is mad

But also kind of hopeful

Jesus. These guys are really, really pissed they can't threaten women or sexually harass them.

And anyone who uses the bit "red pill" is a POS 100% of the time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

"Normies"

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Choosing Brianna Wu for their segment was maybe not the best idea since she is legit crazy. And while I personally think Anita Sarkeesian is a huckster it was good show regardless.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Honestly the gamergate stuff bothered me too, mostly because I read enough about that garbage while trying to get updates on a certain hot dog man.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

And anyone who uses the bit "red pill" is a POS 100% of the time.

Why'd you prompt me to look up this subreddit, you evil, evil person.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why'd you prompt me to look up this subreddit, you evil, evil person.

I was going to ask if you were serious about that existing, but of course there's a loving subreddit for it. How awful is it? I've never looked there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

I was going to ask if you were serious about that existing, but of course there's a loving subreddit for it. How awful is it? I've never looked there.

I'd say it's about 70/30 troll/lie, but they're all awful posts. It *is* Reddit, of course.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neo Helbeast posted:

Choosing Brianna Wu for their segment was maybe not the best idea since she is legit crazy. And while I personally think Anita Sarkeesian is a huckster it was good show regardless.

It's irrelevant if Brianna Wu is crazy; there's no question that she's been threatened and harassed--which is what the segment is about.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Pick posted:

It's irrelevant if Brianna Wu is crazy; there's no question that she's been threatened and harassed--which is what the segment is about.

Yeah, the segment wasn't about the victims' opinions, it was about the extreme response they get for daring to publicly have opinions and how women are disproportionately attacked and vilified online. GG people getting angry at that segment are angry that their primary tactics are being talked about.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Well that maybe true, but it's also true that she has made fake accounts to "troll" herself while playing victim and was openly caught doing it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i find it funny that they did this segment the week after the game of thrones finale, rather than earlier.

anyways glad they did this segment, and eager to read the redditors get up in arms over it

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Well that maybe true, but it's also true that she has made fake accounts to "troll" herself while playing victim and was openly caught doing it.

I'm not getting into the stupid rear end internet drama that is gamergate, but I think you have to look in the mirror pretty hard if your response to someone being pretty severely harrased involves leading with "Well that may be true but"

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The fact that anyone who has ever 'defended' or shown even the slightest bit of support or sympathy for Sarkeesian or any other GG-harassed woman has had their companies/workplaces angrily written to, threatened, or DDoSed as to lose them money, because god forbid anyone anger ~the rulers of the internet~. The fact that these same people are usually the type who enjoy the worst parts of the GoT books/show is *merely* a coincidence.

Pretty broad statements to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

SubCrid TC posted:

I'm not getting into the stupid rear end internet drama that is gamergate, but I think you have to look in the mirror pretty hard if your response to someone being pretty severely harrased involves leading with "Well that may be true but"

My point was that someone like Carolyn Petit would have been a better choice, who got legit death threats for giving GTAV a 9/10.

• Locked thread