Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Kekekela posted:

Eddie Alvarez regarding Nate Diaz ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCP4nP-nReI

:lol:

It's been said before, but thank god the Diaz's found a legitimate outlet for violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

EmmyOk posted:

Cain now worse than Overeem and Mir

e: even Fedor loves Fabricio Face

That's the best gif ever. Werdum is so happy that he made Fedor smile. He's like "did you guys see that, he smiled I saw it!"

Ditch posted:

Nate Diaz status: still Stockton's Finest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz8BSrMG4c0

:allears:

Hoooly poo poo I died in fits of laughter. "Gilbert won ... so gently caress you Eddie."

Kekekela posted:

You're next motherfucker ... next to get laid on while you choke for air and I bleed all over you what!?

MacDougall fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 16, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kekekela posted:

Nate's interview on him was embarrassing poo poo. so painful to watch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Surely the Reem doesn't have a hope of beating Werdum in a rubber match?

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

EmmyOk posted:

If the comedy MMA gods are just he does.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DAS Super! posted:

If the comedy MMA gods are just he does.

The comedy MMA gods are truly just, which is why 'Reem finds new ways to get sparko often.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The Israeli fighter, Noad Lahat, also showed up on the mma hour wearing a shirt that says "I am the Jew Mel gibson warned you about". Says he's been wearing it all week in Berlin lol.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
that's funny I guess

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
mods please rename potato to AWESOME COUGARS

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
NEWZ alert:

Mark Hunt has seen the Grim Reaper

quote:

And then out of the corner of my eye I saw this really crazy, this huge like 20 feet tall thing.

So I saw the thing from the side and my mind goes 'what the hell is that thing?'. And it was huge, like 20 feet tall and it was hooded and it was holding something. And the feeling that I got from it the thing, I was like 'wow that thing's crazy. That thing's there is certainly here to collect this guy right here in front of me'. And I’ll never forget that.

I think I’ve seen that thing about three or four times in my life. So when I said to myself 'that thing's evil, it's bad, it’s not good'. And if I looked at it I’ll be dead too, just like this guy is gonna be dead.

I think it was a Grim Reaper. I think it was the Devil. It was 20 feet tall and I thought -- my mind goes 'do not…' and I got tingles, like I got tingles telling you now. It’s like, 'don’t look at that thing, that thing will kill you'. And I felt like the power emanating from that thing is just ridiculous. And if it opened its mouth, the whole place is gonna fall over.

Like I said, I’ve seen that thing four times. I thought to myself 'if that thing’s real, then God must be real'. So that’s something. I don’t like seeing that thing, but I’m lucky I haven’t seen it lately. It’s kind of crazy.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
So basically a recap of the last couple rounds with Miocic?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aldo's sparring partner for 189 is imitating McGregor fairly well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zUGHfQ9HpI

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

EmmyOk posted:

He could win

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fedor's brother might be evil, but I don't get why Mark's so scared of him. I'm pretty sure Mark would win if they fought.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nate's interview on him was embarrassing poo poo. so painful to watch.

Diaz's are literally incapable of understanding that when fighters smack talk about fighting people they mean "in the ring, when we get paid for it", not whenever/wherever/"next time we see each other in a hallway" and it's kinda amazing.

That they're over 30 years old just makes it even more incredible. Sometime in 50 years some sports commission is gonna look back on this as the dark ages and use them as a case study of what happens if you let clearly mentally handicapped people compete in bloodsports kinda like how people look back on the weird immoral psychology experiments of the mid-20th century now.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 16, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Bubba McD casually mentioned he has to pay child support, while whining about fighter pay in a Mmafighting.com follow up on his jailing. In case you were wondering why going to jail makes more financial sense than mowing lawns.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

He also said he's paying his trainers 20 percent for camp (higher than the average from most major teams we know about) while paying his manager another 20 percent and paying some third party yet another 20 percent to find sponsors for him, a task that traditionally is your manager's job. What the gently caress is his manager doing, besides taking Bubba McDaniel for the fool he is?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bluedeanie posted:

He also said he's paying his trainers 20 percent for camp (higher than the average from most major teams we know about) while paying his manager another 20 percent and paying some third party yet another 20 percent to find sponsors for him, a task that traditionally is your manager's job. What the gently caress is his manager doing, besides taking Bubba McDaniel for the fool he is?

Jesus.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

mods please rename potato to AWESOME COUGARS

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

People who know more than me about MMA (everyone): How much of an effect do you guys think altitude had on Cain? I watched the fight a few days late, but it looked to me like he gassed in a big way but I can never tell when someone's gassed vs when they've been punched in the head too much. I mean, as far as I remember, he looked pretty good for the first few minutes until he started taking huge labored breaths and slowed down and at that point he started getting wobbled. I'm not in a position to rewatch the fight, but what did you guys think when you saw it?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Cain getting hit hard early and often was the bigger issue. He was gassing a bit but so was Werdum. That being said "He gassed and lost because the fight was in Mexico City" will be the excuse until a rematch happens.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Cain probably underperformed due to some combination of ring rust from not fighting in two years, forgetting to acclimate to altitude, and unexpectedly getting lit up by Werdum on the feet. Impossible to say in what proportions. It's even possible that what we saw was his body and chin finally surrendering to AKA gym wars (like Gray Maynard) and he'll never again get close to how good he was.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

EvanSchenck posted:

Cain probably underperformed due to some combination of ring rust from not fighting in two years, forgetting to acclimate to altitude, and unexpectedly getting lit up by Werdum on the feet. Impossible to say in what proportions. It's even possible that what we saw was his body and chin finally surrendering to AKA gym wars (like Gray Maynard) and he'll never again get close to how good he was.

I'm pretty sure Cain was there 2 weeks before the fight? I'm not a sports scientist but that sounds like a lot of time to acclimate. It's not like he was fighting at Everest base camp.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Seltzer posted:

I'm pretty sure Cain was there 2 weeks before the fight? I'm not a sports scientist but that sounds like a lot of time to acclimate. It's not like he was fighting at Everest base camp.

Werdum was out there longer and already did a full camp in Mexico for the Hunt fight and knew what he was in for.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Mexico City elevation is about 7300', or 2000' higher than Denver. On top of that it has really poor air quality due to pollution. Being able to get oxygen in your blood is a very real factor, which is why Werdum spent a month acclimating. If you look up altitude training tips, generally speaking your 'sports scientists' will recommend at least three weeks and sometimes as much as six for full acclimatization. It was almost certainly a factor in Cain's performance, albeit only one among several.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If you gas due to altitude and you trained at sea level despite having all of the access that being a champion affords you, you absolutely cannot blame the altitude. Ultron isn't real and cities don't suddenly rise into the sky, so it's the one factor in a fight you can really plan for. Cain is a fool for waiting until two weeks before he fight to travel to elevation and his coaches should have been more insistent.

That said, I think the fight would go roughly the same at sea level because Werdum was tagging Cain from the opening bell

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

One of my big what-ifs for the fight is not related to altitude, but more of if the fight would have gone much differently if he had followed Werdum to the ground when he did his buttflop-to-guard-off-a-big-hit maneuver in the first before Cain was gassed.

He may have just been subbed then and there and in the context of what had happened up to that point it would have been insanely reckless to abandon his gameplan and play into Werdum's strength. But seeing as he wound up getting lit up on the feet, sucking air like any other John Q. Heavyweight to the point that his corner told him to take Werdum down anyway, I wonder if he'd have had a better time surviving the sub game early and gotten some g&p damage in to tip the scales or get a TKO.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Without having seen the fight I bet a large factor was also Cain being a fat guy who ate a bunch of body shots

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bluedeanie posted:

One of my big what-ifs for the fight is not related to altitude, but more of if the fight would have gone much differently if he had followed Werdum to the ground when he did his buttflop-to-guard-off-a-big-hit maneuver in the first before Cain was gassed.

He may have just been subbed then and there and in the context of what had happened up to that point it would have been insanely reckless to abandon his gameplan and play into Werdum's strength. But seeing as he wound up getting lit up on the feet, sucking air like any other John Q. Heavyweight to the point that his corner told him to take Werdum down anyway, I wonder if he'd have had a better time surviving the sub game early and gotten some g&p damage in to tip the scales or get a TKO.

Cain doesn't have the grappling chops of noted Grim Reaper-spotter Mark Hunt, who survived Werdum on the ground in round 1. I'm willing to bet if there is a rematch that Cain will attempt to follow Werdum down to race the sub and hope for brutal GnP like he finished Bigfoot with.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Werdums guard is excellent, he has a good chin and Cain will never tko a non bigfoot. Cain would have lost

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

david carmichael posted:

Werdums guard is excellent, he has a good chin and Cain will never tko a non bigfoot. Cain would have lost

Maybe so, but like Charles Gnarwin noted, Hunt lasted there. Though that could be he was literally too rotund to submit from guard.

You're right that Werdum is insanely resilient so a first-round TKO was unlikely, but if Cain hypothetically dished out a lot of damage over the first while taking little to no hurt and without getting subbed in return, I could see a second that was much less lopsided on the feet.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Hunt is a very different fighter than Velasquez and they aren't really comparable in any way other than fat and tanned

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

While Cain did take him down into side control, Werdum immediately was shrimping and probably would've regained guard if Cain didn't abandon the position.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Ditch posted:

Why the hell would a city like that be one of the biggest in the world, then? I guess most of them have acclimated but still...

It was originally the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan and the largest city in the hemisphere from the 14th century up until like the 18th century (except when Spain burnt it to the ground in 1521). When the Spanish raised it and rebuilt it, it already had an established physical infrastructure so it was easy to make it into a big city again.

As for why the hell the Aztecs built a city there, it was largely for defensive reasons as it was originally on an island in Lake Texcoco (which is now much, much smaller), and they had both a natural water barrier and could farm much of their own food immediately adjacent to the city on man made islands (the Aztecs were violent assholes, but they were loving smart).

As of today, it has continued to be the economic center of Mexico (in addition to the Capital), and thus continually attracts people from rural areas and thus has grown into a huge sprawling megalopolis. It actually has a higher standard of living in Mexico than the 31 Mexican states (it's technically a Federal District like Washington DC and not a state) per the UN Human Development Index.

I hope this will do in place of a weekly sperg on the next 10 UFC events.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
on embedded a member of Cain's team said they wanted him in Mexico earlier, but he said no, 2 weeks is enough. loving idiot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know that there are some strong anti-Fightland sentiments around here, but Slack (rightly) pointed out that Cain has a habit of underhooking with one hand and punching with the other while in the clinch, as a way of avoiding standing outside and controlling better strikers against the cage, a strategy which he used to gently caress up JDS. Werdum seemed well prepared for that, for he immediately countered it with a double collar. That basically took apart Cain's whole game and turned it into A Bad Kickboxing Match (tm), and Werdum is a much better Bad Kickboxer than Cain.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Bean Fried posted:

It was originally the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan and the largest city in the hemisphere from the 14th century up until like the 18th century (except when Spain burnt it to the ground in 1521). When the Spanish raised it and rebuilt it, it already had an established physical infrastructure so it was easy to make it into a big city again.

As for why the hell the Aztecs built a city there, it was largely for defensive reasons as it was originally on an island in Lake Texcoco (which is now much, much smaller), and they had both a natural water barrier and could farm much of their own food immediately adjacent to the city on man made islands (the Aztecs were violent assholes, but they were loving smart).

As of today, it has continued to be the economic center of Mexico (in addition to the Capital), and thus continually attracts people from rural areas and thus has grown into a huge sprawling megalopolis. It actually has a higher standard of living in Mexico than the 31 Mexican states (it's technically a Federal District like Washington DC and not a state) per the UN Human Development Index.

I hope this will do in place of a weekly sperg on the next 10 UFC events.

You are an interesting character, Bean.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I know that there are some strong anti-Fightland sentiments around here, but Slack (rightly) pointed out that Cain has a habit of underhooking with one hand and punching with the other while in the clinch, as a way of avoiding standing outside and controlling better strikers against the cage, a strategy which he used to gently caress up JDS. Werdum seemed well prepared for that, for he immediately countered it with a double collar. That basically took apart Cain's whole game and turned it into A Bad Kickboxing Match (tm), and Werdum is a much better Bad Kickboxer than Cain.

While I'm certain that werdum scouted and prepared for that, digging for double collar in the clinch has been his jam for a real long time now. Cains style played directly into werdums strengths

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i've spent upwards of 12 hours in mexico city walking upwards of 1000 yards at a time and didn't gas out, i can only conclude i am a better cardio man than cain. plus i went multiple stories up in a building, so that's like 12,000 feet high. for shame, cain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

i've spent upwards of 12 hours in mexico city walking upwards of 1000 yards at a time and didn't gas out, i can only conclude i am a better cardio man than cain. plus i went multiple stories up in a building, so that's like 12,000 feet high. for shame, cain

#thisisthinprivilege

• Locked thread