Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

St. Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow

War in the Palace is an open setup nightless mafia for 9-players.

There are two Heirs, a handful of Guards for each that know the identity of the heir they support, and an Assassin that is trying to kill both of the heirs. This is a variant on Assassin in the Palace.

Setup
Blue Heir
3 Blue Guards
Red Heir
3 Red Guards
Assassin

Heir - Two Heirs with three guards each watching their backs. Doesn't know anyone's role. Wins when the other Heir and the Assassin have been killed.
Guard - Color aligned with an Heir. Does not reveal color on flip. Knows who their Heir is but not who the other guards are. Guards suicide if their Heir dies.
Assassin - Upon being lynched gets 1 or 2 shots (depending how many heirs remain) to kill the remaining heir(s). Wins if both Heirs are dead.

Sign-Ups
-Ghastly Gangsta
-imgay
-wall monitor
-Kleedrac
-Mithross
-EXAKT Science
-Runaktla
-Opopanax
-chaoslord

Past Games in this Series
Assassin in the Palace - Classic AitP
Assassin in the Palace 2 - Bonus Jester role
Rebels in the Palace - King/Guards were scum

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yup.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I'd love to do this again.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to play this.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Hell yes, I'm in.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Let's do it again :)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'll give this a try.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I'll play, and risk my 100% record as the Assassin.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Kerblammo I'm in.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Hey sorry but I'm going to have to dip out. I'm already in two games and running another one so I don't want to overwhelm myself.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm here to kill assassins and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Opopanax posted:

:hfive:

Also this is a signup post

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Yeeesssssss

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and let the game begin!

Players (9)
chaoslord
EXAKT Science
Ghastly Gangsta
imgay
Kleedrac
Mithross
Opopanax
Runaktla
wall monitor

It is now Day 1!

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 16, 2015

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
Confirmed & role received

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Confirming.

I'm a bit concerned about how we'll resolve this game. If the assassin died and missed both heirs, would their be a tie between the two town factions? Would the faction with the highest number of players remaining win? IN any case, I think our approach to this game will be a bit more unique than in others even without considering the fact this is a nightless game.

Let's get this ball rolling.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Confirmed.

Always a bridesmaid vanilla, never a bride power role...

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Confirming that I am the Assassin.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

EXAKT Science posted:

Confirming that I am the Assassin.

poo poo I MEAN A GUARD

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If the Assassin fails to kill both Heirs, the game will continue until an heir is eliminated.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Last to sign up, first on the list :getin:

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Confirming.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Met posted:

If the Assassin fails to kill both Heirs, the game will continue until an heir is eliminated.

Oh so it's the sort of situation I was trying for in Two Axis Mafia. I really want to see how this works from the player side.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

chaoslord posted:

Last to sign up, first on the list :getin:

Alphabetically, first on the list is Assassin. Good game everybody!

##vote chaoslord

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

wall monitor posted:

Oh so it's the sort of situation I was trying for in Two Axis Mafia. I really want to see how this works from the player side.

Yeah, it seems like if the assassin goofed up and killed some guards, it would leave the guards with the decision to betray an heir. Can traitors get conditional victories?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
The issue I see is that say the assassin dies and kills guards so that each team has the same number of guards, plus their heirs. That would be a draw, right?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
confirming.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
HOWEVER any of that is irrelevant and distracts from finding the assassin like we're supposed to be doing

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does nightless mafia mean after a lynch we go straight to another day phase?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

imgay posted:

So does nightless mafia mean after a lynch we go straight to another day phase?

Yes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EXAKT Science posted:

The issue I see is that say the assassin dies and kills guards so that each team has the same number of guards, plus their heirs. That would be a draw, right?

In this situation, it is possible for Heirs/Guards to unknowingly vote to lynch a guard of their own color.

It is possible for the game to only have the two Heirs remaining without any guards or assassin, in which case I'm going to say everyone loses.

If anyone has any questions about game mechanics, feel free to PM me.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Opopanax posted:

Can't trust a canadian.

##vote Opopanax

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Runaktla posted:

Can't trust a canadian.

##vote Opopanax

Confirming.

Also, suspicious of GG, that line of questioning sounds like an assassin masquerading as a guard.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Mithross posted:

Confirming.

Also, suspicious of GG, that line of questioning sounds like an assassin masquerading as a guard.

True. Don't mean to sideswipe joke phase already but...

##unvote

##vote Ghastly Gangsta

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

Yeah, it seems like if the assassin goofed up and killed some guards, it would leave the guards with the decision to betray an heir. Can traitors get conditional victories?

I'm not sure if suicide after heir is dead is consistent with "conditional victories."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Exakt seems suspicious to me, little too much mafia dadding already

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

EXAKT Science posted:

This is what I thought too.

@Met if it gets down to two heirs only, just let them hug it out and call it a Friendship Victory lol.

@Runaktla: I don't think you're sideswiping joke phase. This game type is a bit different, I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this setup so I can see how my comments might come off as scummy, but I'm trying to do due speculation which normally I'd be against, but given that the game is nightless and there are three factions I just want to have how this will play out mechanically down pat.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

@Met if it gets down to two heirs only, just let them hug it out and call it a Friendship Victory lol.

@Runaktla: I don't think you're sideswiping joke phase. This game type is a bit different, I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this setup so I can see how my comments might come off as scummy, but I'm trying to do due speculation which normally I'd be against, but given that the game is nightless and there are three factions I just want to have how this will play out mechanically down pat.
@Ghastly Gangsta: It doesn't make your comments any less scummy.

Met posted:

In this situation, it is possible for Heirs/Guards to unknowingly vote to lynch a guard of their own color.

It is possible for the game to only have the two Heirs remaining without any guards or assassin, in which case I'm going to say everyone loses.

If anyone has any questions about game mechanics, feel free to PM me.
I do not think you have to worry about this occurring. The only way that this would happen here is if that is the result after the assassin dies and manages to take out everybody but the two heirs that remain (in which case he's one lovely and non-calculating assassin). Here's why:

If you have three people left, and neither are the assassin, then that means you got an Heir and his Guard, and an Heir and NO Guard. Who is the Guard gonna kill, his own heir he is protecting? Umm... no. Heir + His Guard vote other Heir.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I suppose unless the Heir tries to fakeclaim that he's the other Heir's Guard, and smart Heir convinces dumbass Heir to lynch his own Guard. That would of course be hilarious.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

This bolded part reads like pandering fyi vote staying in place on GG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Ghastly Gangsta posted:

But the day before 2 heirs leaves 2 heirs and one aligned guard who knows who their heir is and they'd probably eliminate the opposing player.

• Locked thread