Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

I finally subscribed to premium the other day. I have a couple gripes with it that almost drove me to Google All Access, until I decided Spotify's collection was more comprehensive.

In the Android up, clicking Show All Albums doesn't show all albums. This is really annoying if you want to just discover a new artist and don't know their discography.

My other gripe is that you can't reorder playlists. What the actual gently caress? Can I at least do this if I get the PC client? There's a thread on the Spotify forums of people who have been asking for this feature since early 2014.

The Android client is pretty bad for organizing your music. You will want to do that through the PC client, where it is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
How do I add someone as a friend without connecting to Facebook?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I often start by politely introducing myself to the person. Then, if the encounter is agreeable and the potential for further engagement exists, I usually make plans for a future social interaction with said person.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
how the gently caress is this the only view available for looking at stuff in "Your Library"

On my 13" screen I can see up to 8 albums at a time. it's so goddamned lovely and unusable just give me a list or a multi-column artist|album filter. at least it lets you sort... then doesn't save your selection so you have to resort every time you use the app.

:ughh:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 12, 2015

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Because Spotify wouldn't know a good UI if it bit them in the rear end.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
After a dozen crashes in iOS in the past two days I'll definitely be switching to something else in the near future, good timing with Apple Music.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bigman.50grand posted:

I often start by politely introducing myself to the person. Then, if the encounter is agreeable and the potential for further engagement exists, I usually make plans for a future social interaction with said person.

:smithicide:

But really though I can only "follow" people.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
My favorite spotify feature is the three dots when I'm in an area with bad reception and I can't play any music for 5-10 mins. Really awesome IMO.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

LmaoTheKid posted:

My favorite spotify feature is the three dots when I'm in an area with bad reception and I can't play any music for 5-10 mins. Really awesome IMO.

My favorite is when it decides to reset all of my offline music and erase everything I had downloaded. I love being surprised!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The rear end Stooge posted:

My favorite is when it decides to reset all of my offline music and erase everything I had downloaded. I love being surprised!

Yep, that's a fun one too for sure.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Honestly the main reason I'm pumped about Apple Music is because nobody else seems to be able to code an app that isn't stupid and lovely in some way. I would much rather use iOS' Music app than Spotify or Rdio, but I don't have the time or patience anymore to curate a huge MP3 collection.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The rear end Stooge posted:

Honestly the main reason I'm pumped about Apple Music is because nobody else seems to be able to code an app that isn't stupid and lovely in some way. I would much rather use iOS' Music app than Spotify or Rdio, but I don't have the time or patience anymore to curate a huge MP3 collection.

In genuinely surprised when people ask me why I don't just download all my music. It's inconvenient!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

thathonkey posted:

how the gently caress is this the only view available for looking at stuff in "Your Library"

On my 13" screen I can see up to 8 albums at a time. it's so goddamned lovely and unusable just give me a list or a multi-column artist|album filter. at least it lets you sort... then doesn't save your selection so you have to resort every time you use the app.

:ughh:

i've got the same size screen and mine's fine, try resizing the window a few times? i think the autosizing of the cover art fucks up randomly

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

i've got the same size screen and mine's fine, try resizing the window a few times? i think the autosizing of the cover art fucks up randomly

Thanks but It is still a poo poo view for browsing what they themselves call a "library" of music

Like it is bad if i knw what im looking for, it is even worse if i dont have something in mind because you cant scroll artists then into albums because of the way theyve inexplicably decided to lay out the feature.

Spotify fucks up the absolute simplest poo poo that music software has had since its inception it is so frustrating

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 12, 2015

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Did anyone else's iOS colors change for Spotify with the last update?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
I've just updated. It looks like they're using a different shade of green for the logo now?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

pinacotheca posted:

I've just updated. It looks like they're using a different shade of green for the logo now?

Well at least they've got their priorities straight.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they're doing god's work over at spotify. this shade of green is mad soothing to me and now every time i want to rage over how hosed up their ios app is or that theyve lost all my syncd files... again... now i can just hit my home screen and bask in the glory of the new icon... color

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
it sure is green

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

thathonkey posted:

hit my home screen and bask in the glory of the new icon... color
It's the green color throughout the app's UI as well!! YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO GO TO THE HOME SCREEN

edit: Spotify for OS X still has non-soothing green

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Screw you guys I really like the new shade of green :colbert:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

New green is very comforting by itself, but clashes horribly with the 'phone' green and 'messages' green on iOS. Which is unfortunate because it sits right between those two on my bottom bar.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So is there no way to sync local files now with the latest iOS 8.3? My iPhone used to show up in the Spotify app on my computer and I could sync easily, but since updating to 8.3 my iPhone never shows up in the app.

They are on the same Wi-Fi network. I've tried reinstalling both Spotify apps (super fun re-downloading everything on my phone). Tried switching networks, disabling firewalls, etc, nothing works.

This seems like kind of a deal breaker considering the number of musicians missing from Spotify. Ugh

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Crossing my fingers that the next update to the desktop app involves the soothing new green

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

is there any way to see the like "new album alert" poo poo on ios? alerts section just has like, messages people have sent me

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
imo this green sucks

bring on apple music

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Malcolm XML posted:

imo this green sucks

bring on apple music

the green is great you tasteless gently caress

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

is there any way to see the like "new album alert" poo poo on ios? alerts section just has like, messages people have sent me

There is an option for push notifications for it, but no dropdown section/button like the client. The new album alerts are crap anyway, because if multiple albums get added they'll just mention a single album by name. Not very useful if it's an artist you recently discovered or one that has a huge amount of vocal-less albums.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 19, 2015

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Can anyone tell me why Spotify seems to be dead set on keeping something in my play queue? Every update has made it harder and harder to just queue up a few songs and play them. If I want to play an album, I have to queue up each individual song or that motherfucker will repeat in my list until the end of time. Do they somehow make money off of stuff being in the play queue? Because over on the Spotify message board, this has been a common complaint and it pretty much goes ignored.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

It's pretty cool how you can't edit the tags of your local files or unlink them anymore ;) Also the filtering doesn't work for me at all ;)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

PS4 weirdness - does this happen to anyone else?

I shuffle through a playlist of about 5,000 tracks, using my phone to control the player on the PS4. When I do this, the 'shuffle' seems to play a very limited amount of tracks, made up of a handful of the same albums every time. When I use Spotify on Roku it's totally fine - I get a diverse shuffle reflective of the size of the playlist.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Some of my favorite musicians are posting links to Eternify on Facebook.

Personally, I'm sick of the hissy fit musicians get into when it comes to streaming services, as if Spotify is supposed to be doing all their promotion for them and it's Spotify's fault their band isn't getting billions of plays.

queertea fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 25, 2015

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Are these bands aware that they're just loving over follow musicians with Eternify? More streams doesn't mean Spotify pays more, it means royalties are diluted futher and other bands make less.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Spotify has also removed artists for manipulating the system in the past. There was some band that has a 1 second silent song that they told their fans to stream overnight, and then were punished for doing that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bigman.50grand posted:

Are these bands aware that they're just loving over follow musicians with Eternify? More streams doesn't mean Spotify pays more, it means royalties are diluted futher and other bands make less.

This. It has absolutely no impact on the amount of money Spotify makes, it only has an impact on the amount of money other artists make. Wish people would think poo poo through before they try to "game the system".

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If anything it would cause Spotify to increase the amount of time you have to listen to a track for it to register as a stream, thus decreasing revenue access the board for artists.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

queertea posted:

Some of my favorite musicians are posting links to Eternify on Facebook.

What a bunch of dicks who either haven't understood how Spotify works or didn't care that this would negatively effect everyone else at the same time. Would you care to share the musicians you are talking about, so I can be sure to remove them from my playlists if they're on there?

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

DominoDancing posted:

What a bunch of dicks who either haven't understood how Spotify works or didn't care that this would negatively effect everyone else at the same time. Would you care to share the musicians you are talking about, so I can be sure to remove them from my playlists if they're on there?
I:Scintilla. I love their music too much to boycott it completely.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Ah well, not my kind of music, but I wasn't too serious about that anyway ;). It just bothers me when bands (and I'm not talking about I:Scintilla in particular) complain about artists being hosed over, when after all the don't really care about artists in general and have no problem loving them over themselves if they can gain from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DominoDancing posted:

Ah well, not my kind of music, but I wasn't too serious about that anyway ;). It just bothers me when bands (and I'm not talking about I:Scintilla in particular) complain about artists being hosed over, when after all the don't really care about artists in general and have no problem loving them over themselves if they can gain from it.

to be fair I think a lot of the people posting this dont know that its loving over other artists, they just post it because it looks good superficially and they havent bothered to look into how it (or spotify) actually works

• Locked thread