Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

fenix down posted:

Good point, very weird cover.

Hahaha, holy poo poo that's supposed to be Richard Widmark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Friedpundit posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo that's supposed to be Richard Widmark?
Dan Duryea

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

No, Richard Widmark. Dan Duryea is not in Night and the City.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Any word on when the B&N sale is? I can't remember if it is the same time every year or not, and I'm too lazy to look.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

No, Richard Widmark. Dan Duryea is not in Night and the City.

:thejoke:

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

fenix down posted:

Good point, very weird cover.

The old one for reference:

Wow. New cover is so terrible I honestly may not buy it at all. And I was 100% buying this right away.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Any word on when the B&N sale is? I can't remember if it is the same time every year or not, and I'm too lazy to look.

It usually starts about a week into July.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Will Criterion release Moonrise Kingdom or the Grand Budapest? I imagine so but was curious.

Is there any reason to hold out for them? Keeping staring at those two in my amazon cart.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They're releasing Moonrise Kingdom in September, and Grand Budapest Hotel is probably getting a Criterion at some point but probably not for a year or two (or however long Moonrise and Fantastic Mr Fox took).

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Not too sure about this one, although a quick search of the Criterion site for "coat" turned up this:

Listing for 'Le million' by René Clair posted:

An impoverished artist discovers he has purchased a winning lottery ticket at the very moment his creditors come to collect. The only problem is, the ticket is in the pocket of his coat. . . which he left at his girlfriend’s apartment. . . who gave the coat to a man hiding from the police. . . who sells the coat to an opera singer who uses it during a performance.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Obviously, they'll be releasing the Doctor Who movie on Criterion.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Obviously, they'll be releasing the Doctor Who movie on Criterion.

Fingers crossed for Eric Roberts commentary.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Suggestions I've seen online so far include Missing (1982; d. Costa-Gavras) and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Slate Action posted:

Suggestions I've seen online so far include Missing (1982; d. Costa-Gavras) and The Man Who Wasn't There.

Missing is already in the collection so it's not that or else there'd by a cheeky use of blue if it was an upgrade.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Amazon.ca has a bunch of Criterion blu-rays listed for under $5.00! Gotta be a mistake but I'm giving it a shot.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Amazon.ca has a bunch of Criterion blu-rays listed for under $5.00! Gotta be a mistake but I'm giving it a shot.

Yeah I feel like amazon is going to cancel these orders, but you can get 3 for 20 bucks with shipping to USA.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Looking now and don't see any listed for $5 so this must've already been rectified. Here's to hoping your orders go through!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They fixed the prices but have not cancelled my order yet. But they haven't filled it either.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hopefully they might just let some go through whenever they get stock in to fill it out.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Got really hyped as I was prepared to wait a few months for in-stock items at those prices to be shipped to Australia. Shipping for 7 blu rays would have cost around about $170CAD.

I think I'll just wait for the B+N sale.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Jack Gladney posted:

They fixed the prices but have not cancelled my order yet. But they haven't filled it either.

Same here. They haven't said anything about cancelling the order and it appears to be fine. Not my fault they goofed!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, my order just went from 12 DVDs to 8 and then 7. No e-mail notification. It looks like they're just deleting all the orders.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I, Butthole posted:

I think I'll just wait for the B+N sale.

In case anyone is wondering, the B&N sale this year is apparently scheduled for July 7 - 27.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Slate Action posted:

In case anyone is wondering, the B&N sale this year is apparently scheduled for July 7 - 27.

I feel like they've been shortening it in recent years. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it used to be the 1st to the end of the month, sometimes bleeding into August?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Well, my order just went from 12 DVDs to 8 and then 7. No e-mail notification. It looks like they're just deleting all the orders.

That's a drat shame. Isn't there a way of fighting that? Like Dr.Cthulhu said, not your fault they screwed up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

friendo55 posted:

That's a drat shame. Isn't there a way of fighting that? Like Dr.Cthulhu said, not your fault they screwed up.

They cancelled all but one, but seem to be filling it. They're the ones selling the stuff and they can handle their stock any way they like. If I get a $2.00 copy of Blow Out out of this, that's fine by me.

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
Heads-up: I went to B&N yesterday, and they were having a sale: 40% off all Blu-Rays and DVDs, 50% if you're a member. That includes Criterions. I assume this is a nationwide thing? Anyways, I picked up Safe and may go back for some more before it ends on the 22nd.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Yea, even online there's Criterions available 30-40% off - though I think to get that 50% off as a member, it needs to be in-store. Appreciate the heads up!

So they're doing this sale which includes Criterion, followed by the 50% off sale starting July 7th?

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 15, 2015

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

New titles:

Blind Chance - My favorite of the earlier Kieslowskis... I'll probably buy it, but I'm not super-jazzed for it

Breaker Morant - Haven't seen this in 25 years. Didn't leave much of an impression, not all that interested in a seeing it again. Pass.

Mister Johnson - Never seen it, don't really care. Pass.

Moonrise Kingdom - As I said the first time it was announced, definite purchase.

A Room With a View - I like it, not enough to see it again. Pass.

Honeymoon Killers - Good campy fun, no desire to revisit it. Pass.

What a boring loving month.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah, it's pretty much just Moonrise Kingdom Month for me. Breaker Morant is real good but I don't need to own it.

August/September are usually quiet months, aren't they?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 16, 2015

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Tales of Hoffman has a 4K restoration now. Anyone think that Criterion could've gotten the rights back?

Edit: Probably not, here's the DVDBeaver that explains it.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 16, 2015

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Tales of Hoffman has a 4K restoration now. Anyone think that Criterion could've gotten the rights back?

Edit: Probably not, here's the DVDBeaver that explains it.

Lionsgate sure as hell isn't going to release it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Still waiting on The New World theatrical cut...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My dad really likes Breaker Morant. I'll probably pick it up for him. He really liked The Third Man when I got him that.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
No wacky drawing in the Newsletter this month? Or is this not the general newsletter? It's all Wallace Shawn and Andre Gregory stuff.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

robix smash posted:

No wacky drawing in the Newsletter this month? Or is this not the general newsletter? It's all Wallace Shawn and Andre Gregory stuff.

This was a special promo newsletter, not the monthly newsletter.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Only Lovers Left Alive is the only guess I've heard that makes any sense. Vampires + Popsicles + Motels seems like a really specific combination.

e: someone else has suggested In Cold Blood (Inn, Cold, Blood)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 1, 2015

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It looks like the Barnes and Noble sale has begun, though there's no big sale page up for it yet.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
There isn't a good reference point on Criterions where the DVD version sold terribly or the current rights of a previous release are in some non-negotiable position, is there? On that B&N sale, I'm wavering on a couple DVD movies that are low in stock, afraid that not buying it leads to it not being available in any form for ages, or that buying it means the Bluray version comes out a year from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm going Malick for this sale, Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line